2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Auto 2.2s with Turbo/SC

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto 2.2s with Turbo/SC

So as I understand it, the problem with a turbo on an auto 2.2 would be the slow shifts when not at high throttle will make the clutch slip, but would be fine at WOT. according to what half cent told me anyways, don't know much about transmissions myself. However, wouldn't this mean that the shift improver thing, B&M shiftplus or w/e, left on stage 1 all the time would correct this problem?

I just thought about that, i pmed half cent about it, but i figured I would get a few points of view, be it speculations or not.

what do you guys think?
Old 08-15-2007, 01:07 AM

hmmm..i think you'd still need a transmission tune..which my brother got for his grand am gt(Same transmission as ours) from some guy in buford that tunes nascar cars

*automatic grandam too*

Last edited by cobalt9123; 08-15-2007 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-15-2007, 01:37 AM

from what I can tell it wont work. From what I can tell the b&m can change the shifting in our trannies the way we need to change them, but not to the point where it needs to be(if that makes any sense). Think of it like putting a turbo on a m/t car... you need to upgrade the clutch or it's gonna slip. Using the b&m would be like upgrading your clutch from stock to a 2000lb clutch when you really need a 3000lb clutch. The b&m is made to work with your stock or mildly modded engine. I'm sure it's not going to tune the tranny to hold up to a turbo.

Now I'm more or less talking out of my ass right now. Looking at the b&m product page, this is what I get out of all of it. Hell I don't even see our car as an application for that product.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:46 AM

The biggest problem is, because pretty much everything is controlled by the TCM. When the TCM sense a fault, whether it be incorrect predicted torque input or traction faults, its going to throw a fault which will command full line pressure during shifts and possibly cripple other functions.

An idea I had, and haven't been able to test it yet, was to swap a 2.2 TCM into a 2.4 and try to tune it. Theres a lot of things going on here, so it probably won't work but its worth a try. As far as I can see, they are the same unit. HPTuners identifies the TCM's OS in the auto 2.4 with a unique number. If it can't identify the 2.2 one, it won't work.

I'm hoping someone will try this. I've had a death in the family yesterday and won't have time for car things in the next 2 weeks like I had planned.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
from what I can tell it wont work. From what I can tell the b&m can change the shifting in our trannies the way we need to change them, but not to the point where it needs to be(if that makes any sense). Think of it like putting a turbo on a m/t car... you need to upgrade the clutch or it's gonna slip. Using the b&m would be like upgrading your clutch from stock to a 2000lb clutch when you really need a 3000lb clutch. The b&m is made to work with your stock or mildly modded engine. I'm sure it's not going to tune the tranny to hold up to a turbo.

Now I'm more or less talking out of my ass right now. Looking at the b&m product page, this is what I get out of all of it. Hell I don't even see our car as an application for that product.
Isnt our 2.2 auto tranny rated to hold up to a constant 250hp?
Old 08-15-2007, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Smitty1017
Isnt our 2.2 auto tranny rated to hold up to a constant 250hp?
I'm not sure of the exact #... but it's not important. The problem we're having is tuning the shift solinoids inside the transmission for the pressures we need. There's no problem with the mechanical side of the transmission holding up. If we had an old school vaccume operated mechanical tranny then we could just bolt it up and be on our merry way.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:11 AM

its rated to handle 264 trq

here is my Vid w/ the B&M shift plus set to stage 2. I think it does the job just fine, i mean i am chirping tires after all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zklb3Vwo7Gc

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 08-15-2007 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-15-2007, 02:18 AM

if it works it works. I'm not gonna argue. Only thing is are you willing to bet your tranny on it? I'd rather wait for a more precise tuning method.

that's a pretty nice setup xcobalt05x. just an off the wall question... but how often do you have to refill your nitrous bottle with that big of a shot. lol. I used to run a 90 shot on a previous car and it seemed I'd only get 4 maybe 5 good runs out of it before I couldn't keep the pressure high enough anymore.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:26 AM

since my nitrous is only active on a 50 dry shot from 3k rpms to 6k rpms in first gear and then active w/ a 50 shot dry and 75shot wet from 4k rpms to 6k rpms in second gear, i get 7 to 10 passes on the drag strip out of it

i have it hooked up to a window switch that feeds off of your tach and throtle position sensor
Old 08-15-2007, 02:30 AM

I would like to see someone try this. Im not going turbo or much in the way of performance untill spring, but when my fat tax return and yearly bonus check comes in march im gonna be pushing an extra 100-130 hp and its gonna be oh so sweet.

**** if that shift improver allows stock autobalts to chrip 2nd i wonder what it will be like in a turboautobalt lol
Old 08-15-2007, 02:34 AM

**** if that shift improver allows stock autobalts to chrip 2nd i wonder what it will be like in a turboautobalt lol
It won't work. It doesn't prevent the TCM from throwing input torque faults. With a turbo and an untuned TCM with or without a ShiftPlus you'll simply throw a check engine light and the TCM will command full line pressure during shifts, it may alter shift speeds (preventing you from going to redline before shifting) and disable traction control.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:34 AM

sasassa
Old 08-15-2007, 02:38 AM

I would like to see someone try this. Im not going turbo or much in the way of performance untill spring, but when my fat tax return and yearly bonus check comes in march im gonna be pushing an extra 100-130 hp and its gonna be oh so sweet.

Ah Ah Ah my cobalt isnt stock, read my sig LOL
Old 08-15-2007, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Witt
It won't work. It doesn't prevent the TCM from throwing input torque faults. With a turbo and an untuned TCM with or without a ShiftPlus you'll simply throw a check engine light and the TCM will command full line pressure during shifts, it may alter shift speeds (preventing you from going to redline before shifting) and disable traction control.

man, every time i think i see something remotely promising it all gets shot to hell. Have any companys stepped forward and said that theres something on the way for the autobalts?

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
Ah Ah Ah my cobalt isnt stock, read my sig LOL
oh yeah dude i know. in the thread that talks about the shiftplus alot of stock owners said they were chirping 2nd. thats what i was referring to.

Last edited by Smitty1017; 08-15-2007 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-15-2007, 02:44 AM

man, every time i think i see something remotely promising it all gets shot to hell. Have any companys stepped forward and said that theres something on the way for the autobalts?

oh yeah dude i know. in the thread that talks about the shiftplus alot of stock owners said they were chirping 2nd. thats what i was referring to.
SCTflash.com has done tuning for the 2.2 cobalts that have a manual. At the time when they were in development stages they contacted me about being a test platform, until i told them i was an automatic. They wanted a stick but they did say they have good intensions on doing automatic tuning. They want to see how well the tuning goes over on the stick before they invest more time into the cobalt base models
Old 08-15-2007, 02:44 AM

Have any companys stepped forward and said that theres something on the way for the autobalts?
The best thing to do is to try what I've been wanting to test in post #4. It probably won't work, but hasn't been proven yet.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:46 AM

my bad, lol
Old 08-15-2007, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Witt
The best thing to do is to try what I've been wanting to test in post #4. It probably won't work, but hasn't been proven yet.
yeah, halfcent was saying something along those lines when i asked him. The problem I see with tuning support is that if their not sucessful (financially? is that what they meant?) with tuning for manuals, they might give up and say **** that to the autos, but the majority of base model owners drive autos I would think. I get that impression anyways,
Old 08-15-2007, 07:51 AM

yeah that is what i mean by sucessful. if they arnt making money off of the tune for manuals then they are not going to finish the rest of the base modles.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bill Hahn made an interesting post this morning...

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/front-page-news-17/hahns-2-4-turbo-cobalt-debuts-great-lakes-dragaway-62948/

Read post 158 and 159.

That's news to me. Bill and I have talked about the very same thing Witt is talking about, and he didn't think it would be possible. But this post makes me wonder if he achieved something and hasn't told me about it yet. I'll call him.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62948

Read post 158 and 159.

That's news to me. Bill and I have talked about the very same thing Witt is talking about, and he didn't think it would be possible. But this post makes me wonder if he achieved something and hasn't told me about it yet. I'll call him.
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
why isn't it YOU halfcent? lol

OR ME!? WTF lol

Last edited by cobalt9123; 08-15-2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-15-2007, 11:51 AM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62948

Read post 158 and 159.

The way I understand how HPTuners reads the 2.4 TCM is similar to how it reads and edits an ECM. It looks to me as it indentifies an OS and assigns it an identifiable number which all similar OSes on other TCMs are also indentified by. IF HPTuners can read the OS and edit it, whether or not it be the same number assigned to the 2.4s, then I can see some potential success. As far as the ECM being mated to a specific TCM it doesn't seem to be as the editting software identifies them as two seperate units with 2 seperate OS identifiers.

Last edited by Witt; 08-15-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:09 PM

tagged....interesting
Old 08-15-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cobalt9123
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
why isn't it YOU halfcent? lol

OR ME!? WTF lol
For the same reason everybody else is not the test car....money.

To do what Hahn needs, he would have to have the car for about a week, and I ofcourse have to actually buy the kit. So I would need the 4 grand and another a car. And at the moment, I'm not in a position to do that.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:52 PM

For the same reason everybody else is not the test car....money.

To do what Hahn needs, he would have to have the car for about a week, and I ofcourse have to actually buy the kit. So I would need the 4 grand and another a car. And at the moment, I'm not in a position to do that.
You could give me your car, I could pay him and have him install the turbo and let you know how it works out.

Oh I'd have to keep the car though.

Quick Reply: Auto 2.2s with Turbo/SC