2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

been a long year so far for the balt

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
been a long year so far for the balt

alright. i got hit and run on the 2nd of the year at my work. wasent caught on camera, so it has to go through my insurance. they came and picked up the car yesterday from my house to take it to the shop. i called the shop today to get an update on it. they told me they dont have my car. i started flipping ****. well with a few back and forth phone calls between the insurance company and the shop, i go down to the shop to talk in person. i pull up and i can see my car sitting in the back. i ask them about it and they were in shock. i guess the tow truck driver never said they dropped it off. in all its over 2500 bucks in damages, including radiator, ac condenser, ect. and they couldent start my car either. turned the key and nothing happened. and the key was stuck in the ignition happenes to me many of times. i just cant wait till spring so i can sell this lemon. this car has had nothing but problems
Old 01-14-2010, 03:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dude, I know.. I love my Cobalt, but holy **** this thing is the cheapest piece of **** I've ever driven. It would take me a while to list all the **** on this car that qualifies it as a "cheap piece of ****".. But then again, I did buy it, so I'll take the repercussions for my actions.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:11 AM

I guess I'll consider myself lucky I never had any problems with my 2.2L LS the 3 years i had it. Had to upgrade to 4 doors though due to a baby so I thought I might as well go all out and get the SS and I am so glad I did.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have had lots of problems with mine to, can't wait fot the 2011 Mustang to come out and then it's bye bye Colbat
Old 01-14-2010, 12:39 PM

when i sell this car i want to buy another car where i dont have car payments. it sucks paying for a car that dosent work haha
Old 01-14-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by demento
I also have had lots of problems with mine to, can't wait fot the 2011 Mustang to come out and then it's bye bye Colbat
While I haven't had any major issues with mine, a huge upgrade will be nice this fall, 145 to 412 will be GREAT!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my balt in may of 08 and it wasnt til this year **** started happening to it. on the 1st my car got backed into and now there is a dent on the hood and 2 weeks later my neighbor smashed my drivers side quarter panel which had to be cut off and replaced which totaled to about $3500 and now I live in maryland and we got like 4 feet of snow which crushed my ss spoiler and snapped it, it pushed down my trunk lid so that has to be replaced, the snow crushed my spoiler onto my new quarter panel leaving a nice big line shaped dent, ripped off the pin striping on the new quarter panel, scratched my other quarter panel and ripped up the vinyls on my windshield
Old 02-18-2010, 03:48 PM

Well, do to stupid drivers I had my first cobalt totaled, But i love the chevy service and the cobalts so much i decided to buy another but went for the 4 door instead, they have way more room and my good friend has a 2 door sport cobalt and there fun to drive. Ive only had a few problems that dont cost much such as the window seal trim letting air thru and such but besides that even after installing hids different horns and they led license plate lights i havent had a problem yet. Some people just have bad luck with cars. But i felt like id offer my positive input on the cobalt.

Thanks guys
Old 02-18-2010, 04:57 PM

only time i started having problems with my car i when i started to turbo it lol. but they werent problems that the car created, just problems i created. aside from that i love the car
Old 02-18-2010, 07:24 PM

Wow, most of the complaints which are listed are people hitting their Cobalts.
So Cobalts are magnets for car wrecks? lol

I think these are very nice cars for the money.
It gets to in 8 seconds, very linear up and go, the torture test on the 2.2 done by GM is incredible how much punishment this motor will take, the automatic tranny can take over 300hp, 32MPG average, $15k price tag, has never had a problem that has not been fixed for free by the warranty and those are very very few.

I will admit that the steering shaft is a little noisy, but it seems to be common and doesn't cause an actual problem. The sound of the suspension settling is odd, but no biggie.

If you dislike the performance, get one of these 2.0 SC kits for around $1k, $750 install and $110 for a reflash. That is much cheaper than being out of equity and buying into another car that is around $26k.

Just my .02

I almost forgot this, but before I bought the Cobalt I was at the Dodge dealership and found a used 2007 Mustang 4.0, and I have had the pleasure of test driving a new one months before. This one had 12k miles on it and they wanted $17999 for it, so it was in my budget range.

We tested it, came back, found my wife's car had been scratched badly by the jerks at the dealership. Paintless Dent Repair had a truck to the right of the wife's Sunfire and the ****** got their gear out and gouged the wife's Sunfire on the door above the window.

I was looking at how it went to the metal and I hear "he's lookin at it now" as the two workers start coming back to their truck. I ask the guy, why did he do it. His answer "we don't fix that kind of damage". I said, you are talking about the damage, and now reply without coming and taking a look says to me you did it. He doesn't deny it, but says again "we don't repair that kind of damage".

I call the manager out at the dealership, and what a POS he was.

He asks all employees standing outside if they saw this happen.
Do you really think anyone will stick up for the guy they will never see again?
Or even rat out someone that shows up a few times a week to do repairs at the dealership?
Didn't think so...

So I told the guy, "your manager just lost you a sale". "F this place, you will never see a cent from me".

I still have not repaired the damage...

I tried once to get the paint and they only had the Q-tip like repair kit in that color and not the aerosol can. I want to clean the area, sand paper it, clean it again, primer it, and hope that the color being brand new does not stand out like a sore thumb and then wait a day later to clear coat it.

I have not tried in a few years to find the aerosol can of the correct paint color.

SUCKS

The point is, maybe it was fate that led me to get the Cobalt and not the Mustang. The Mustang is not as fuel efficient, and this was back when gas was $4.59 a gallon. I also feel Ford is not as reliable as I owned an 82 Mustang, my brother owned a Tracer and Taurus and they were all junk.

Last edited by Mike85220; 02-18-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-18-2010, 07:37 PM

I consider myself lucky aswell. I bought my car brand new on 06 and now have 66k miles on it and the only thing that has gone wrong with it was a wheel bearing.