2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Best MPG's...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i used to have a 04 sunfire that got up 40 all the time on the hwy. to get your cars there you will need to cut off the cat, if your state will allow that. and i also put on a 3" exhaust about 4' behind the manifold. my commute was 110 miles to work and back. it cost me a little over 2 gal each way. i traded my sunfire in on my 04 gto and have currently gotten it up to 34 on the hwy also. also in stock form my sunfire also did low 15's in the qtr. my son had a cavalier with the 2.2 in it with a 50 shot with a home made full cai that we ran to the bumper, where fresh air was. his times were consistant with mid to low 14's. if we would have put a good set of cams in it it would have been into the high 13"s. power to weight ratio is real good in those cars. and yours, just do not run the nitrious to much. let the engine cool down. you can make cheap hp with a set of cams and cam gears. then add the n2 later. and definately relocate your iat temp sensor, or this will not work.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:11 PM

For having an SS i seem to do pretty well,I usually get about 28.0 on a full tank mixed highway/city driving

Pure highway I get about 32-35 and thats driving at 80, I dont drive slow
Old 07-21-2007, 03:31 PM

that is not bad by no means. 1 thing is if you are happy then nothing else matters.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:52 PM

Why is everyone else getting such good gas mileage? I reset mine about a week ago when I put in a new air filter to see if it would make a difference, it was at 32 when I got to work that day (all highway) but with a combination of both in the past week it's down to 28.5. I ususally drive between 75 and 80 on the freeway. By the way it's a stock ls except for 18's with 215/35's.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:04 PM

jojot is it an auto or stick? alot of good mpg people have sticks. My brother has an 05 LS 5 speed and he has no mods 17'' stock rims 2.2l and gets like 42mpg in the city ONLY because he is so **** and shifts at like 2500rpm... yeah I would hate to behind him at a light..
Old 07-21-2007, 04:05 PM

jajot!!! one thing i watched is where i bought gas. i alway's tries to get gas at a name brand station. i do no that all gas is not the same. i know here in ok. a woman owns a 2 pump little gas station. she will tell anyone that all she gets here is leftovers. she also say's that she has called the distributor, that told her she did not sell enough gas to get the good stuff. so be sure to watch where you buy gas. one thing else. i didn't look at you sig. and see what year you had. you might need to get a cai and relocate the iat sensor.and check to see if the fuel filter is getting bad. they usually last up to 60-80000 miles. but all it takes is 1 bad tank of fuel and mileage goes down.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by jojot
Why is everyone else getting such good gas mileage? I reset mine about a week ago when I put in a new air filter to see if it would make a difference, it was at 32 when I got to work that day (all highway) but with a combination of both in the past week it's down to 28.5. I ususally drive between 75 and 80 on the freeway. By the way it's a stock ls except for 18's with 215/35's.
how many miles are on your car? at first i couldn't get above 32mpg, even on the highway. it just took some time for everything to break in and the numbers went up. it also has a lot to do with how you drive. driving easly and not wasting fuel is the real key. I have a friend with a malibu maxx with a v6, he never could get above 24mpg. I reset the fuel economy gauge, drove his car for about 20 miles and turned out 33mpg. It doesn't necessarily mean driving like a grandma everywhere, although I usually do (just filled up yesterday, 41.3mpg!) keep the rpm's down, don't accelerate up hills, coast down hills, don't sit and idle for 5 minutes waiting for a train to pass, don't go through the drive through at McD's, the list goes on and on, you paid for that gas, make the most out of it.

42 in town huh? I would have to see that myself to believe it, thats near hybrid economy in town. I have never driven strictly in town but I would guess i don't get above 35 if i tried, and I don't think many people here could get more fuel economy out of their cars than me. 42 mixed driving, I would believe that. maybe 42 in San Fransisco going down hills the whole day.

I would also question cutting the cat, i've never done it and watched fuel economy (its a great way to get some cheap power on a turbo car though). my little brother has an s-10 with the 4 cyl, its not an ecotech, i dont know what it is. I went to an autocross race with him a few weeks ago and noticed he put his cat back on, I didn't understand why. he said he went from 25mpg to 30mpg just by putting the cat back on. My theory is it has a lot to do with him driving it easier because its quieter, but he swears up and down it helps his fuel mileage. in theory removing it could really go either way. i'd be interested to see more resultes.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:59 PM

I have a slushbox, mostly because in the tri-state area there was not only no Cobalts with a manual, but no cars in it's class with a manual transmission. I only found a used Honda Civic, and I'd rather take a newer car for less than a used car that's been farted on for more money.

I do stay off the throttle as much as possible, let the car idle going down hills, stay away from city driving as much as possible. If I want to drive in a spirited (or possessed) manner, I'll hit the track, and drive safely on the street.

When I first got the car, it went 28-30 but after a while it went up to 33 and has hung there pretty much since other than the one trip.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:49 PM

It's an automatic with 39,000 miles, I finally found a fuel filter at auto zone the other day but haven't put it on yet, for a while everybody had to order it at $70 but auto zone has them in stock now for $14. As far as the brand and where I purchase gas I haven't really thought about that, but I'll watch it.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by jojot
It's an automatic with 39,000 miles, I finally found a fuel filter at auto zone the other day but haven't put it on yet, for a while everybody had to order it at $70 but auto zone has them in stock now for $14. As far as the brand and where I purchase gas I haven't really thought about that, but I'll watch it.
why pay $14 for it? If its bad the dealership should replace it under warranty. If you want to do it yourself I completely understand, But i'd let the dealership at least take a look for you, rather than just going off replacing parts till you find the problem.