2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

best ways to put more ponies in my 2.2 without boost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i was reading one of their threads on the forum and they weren't sure if they were even gonna try and work with your ECM's.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
yeah i was reading one of their threads on the forum and they weren't sure if they were even gonna try and work with your ECM's.
i received the same info in an email with them, when before they had told me that they were working on it and were to have it out at the end of march. if they decide not to, then maybe i will give it a go.

they are very helpful but this is a little misleading and kinda annoys me a bit.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CivicKiller98
the communication for engine and tranny control is different on the 05+ cobalts than on the jbodies.

hptuners is going to start work on the cobalt 2.2 after they are finished with the 2.0 and 2.4
I know they are different, I was just saying that I wasn't sure if they had something out for any of the cobalts as well.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:49 PM

well yeah, the guy has an '05 F-150, so it could be for his truck, he just told me it would be around 400-500 bucks and could really improve my mpg.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
I know they are different, I was just saying that I wasn't sure if they had something out for any of the cobalts as well.
my apologies, wasnt a crack on your knowledge of the cobalt. now you know, hp tuners might not even go further than the j's

have a nice day
Old 05-01-2006, 02:35 AM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not really the "communications" that represents the issue (HP Tuners works with both older Class 2 and GM Lan/CAN) it's the model of the ECM/PCM that represents the hurdle. Each model of GM box arranges and organizes the calibration files differently and each use a different "seed & key" algorithm for programming. This needs to be "cracked" before these kinds of edits can be performed.

For instance the older Jbodies use a P11 PCM, the SS/SC a P12, 2.2 Cobalts use a E16A and the 2.4 an E67. Each have their own idiosincracies but once cracked- almost any car using the same box is simultaneously as well.
For instance when the HPT final version for the LSJ is released- so will the I-engines in the Colorado/Canyons as they also use the P12.
HTH
WopOnTour

Last edited by WopOnTour; 05-22-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:58 AM

my apologies, wasnt a crack on your knowledge of the cobalt. now you know, hp tuners might not even go further than the j's

have a nice day
It's all good.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by WopOnTour
It's not really the "communications" that represents the issue (HP Tuners works with both older Class 2 and GM Lan/CAN) it's the model of the ECM/PCM that represents the hurdle. Each model of GM box arranges and organizes the calibration files differently and each use a different "seed & key" algorithm for programming. This needs to be "cracked" before these kinds of edits can be performed.

For instance the older Jbodies use a P11 PCM, the SS/SC a P12, 2.2 Cobalts use a P16A and the 2.4 an E67. Each have their own idiosincracies but once cracked- almost any car using the same box is simultaneously as well.
For instance when the HPT final version for the LSJ is released- so will the I-engines in the Colorado/Canyons as they also use the P12.
HTH
WopOnTour
yeah, agreed, i tend to use the word communications rather loosely, not in the same way most car manufacturers would.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by afireinside1582
i have no clue... cai? exhaust? right now im thinking of a kn drop in... for the time being
also,
if you are preppin for boost lower your compression ratio (lower compression pistons)
if you are stayin n/a, raise your compression ratio (higher compression pistons)
Old 05-01-2006, 11:05 PM

yeah, stayin' n/a... if/when i have the funds i would like to go

injen cai
pacesetter header
gmpp touring exhaust
high flow cat
ecu retune (when available)
nkg sparkplugs and wires
Old 05-02-2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Roadrunner
also,
if you are preppin for boost lower your compression ratio (lower compression pistons)
if you are stayin n/a, raise your compression ratio (higher compression pistons)
Well if he does raise his compression, he's going to need some type of fuel management system. What fuel management system CAN work on you guys PCM or is available for the LS? I'd imagine possibly E-manage...anything else?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:06 AM

well monitoring the af and such is necessary but its not a setting that will need to be adjusted on a regular basis, which is why waiting for something from a tuning company would be sufficient.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:24 AM
Banned

oh, sorry... dont want to go the nitrous route either... anybody know anything about an ecu flash? a buddy told me they could do it at a rhinolinings... like 400 bucks and i keep the tuner... so i can get good gas mileage or more hp
LOL 400 bucks and you keep the tuner. ha ha. even if this was true which it isnt you would be far better with the extra hundred and be able to compete with SS/SC. the ultimate sleeper if you ask me. but hey its your money. NOS or NNAAAWWWZZZZ is the way to get the best bang for the buck. No super tune software is going to get you 75HP like nitrous. and a Zex kit is fool proof. you never lose a motor do to a F*&$ up with this kit.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:56 AM

Exclamation

2 1/2" exhaust system is just too big for the 2.2 ECOTEC naturally aspirated. 2 1/4" would be much better.
Depending on where you want your power and how much work you intend to do to the car 2.25" or 2.5" exhaust will work. 2.5" is not too big; point blank ----> ______
Old 05-02-2006, 02:21 AM

well monitoring the af and such is necessary but its not a setting that will need to be adjusted on a regular basis, which is why waiting for something from a tuning company would be sufficient.
Yeah, might not be a regular bassis but it should be something he has there for adjustment none the less.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by ssnipes
LOL 400 bucks and you keep the tuner. ha ha. even if this was true which it isnt you would be far better with the extra hundred and be able to compete with SS/SC. the ultimate sleeper if you ask me. but hey its your money. NOS or NNAAAWWWZZZZ is the way to get the best bang for the buck. No super tune software is going to get you 75HP like nitrous. and a Zex kit is fool proof. you never lose a motor do to a F*&$ up with this kit.

actualy 400 dollars is about right for a programmer, and take that programmer and use it with NOS and you will get way better performance. It is not software rather a module, if they do have one out i would get one but i doubt that they realy have one, if you show me where to buy one i will!!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by importkiller
actualy 400 dollars is about right for a programmer, and take that programmer and use it with NOS and you will get way better performance. It is not software rather a module, if they do have one out i would get one but i doubt that they realy have one, if you show me where to buy one i will!!!!
Not all programmers are the same, so that means some will cost more due to it being more complicated and having more options but this all varies from car/truck to others.

Also, not to be a dick but please don't refer to Nitrous Oxide as "NOS"...NOS is a company and the NOS stands for Nitrous Oxide Systems.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:44 AM

seriously though, dont wanna put NO2 in my car... i dont race or anything... i'd describe my driving as "spirited", just looking for some cool little sleeper mods
Old 05-02-2006, 09:12 AM

Yeah, might not be a regular bassis but it should be something he has there for adjustment none the less.
im sorry, but i still dont see the logic in using a FMU over tuning, if he needs to make adjustments after tuning, he would just simply reconnect his tuner and retune, even though there isnt anything out yet.

dont get me wrong, i give a big to FMU but i dont see it as being necessary and i really gotta believe that its gonna be a waste of time and money unless there is boost involved.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:35 AM

im sorry, but i still dont see the logic in using a FMU over tuning, if he needs to make adjustments after tuning, he would just simply reconnect his tuner and retune, even though there isnt anything out yet.

dont get me wrong, i give a big to FMU but i dont see it as being necessary and i really gotta believe that its gonna be a waste of time and money unless there is boost involved.
What I'm saying is that if he does a bunch of motor work, he could be running lean or his computer could be making him run rich...who knows. You agree he should know what his a/f ratio is, well he should also be able to adjust it if it's not performing at it's best. I'm not saying it's anything like being boosted where every so often he might have to change the tuning, all I'm saying is he should have something there incase he isn't stoich. I did the same thing...I installed camshafts in my motor and my computer made it run really rich. I bought an Apexi SAFC II, installed it, had it dyno tuned and left it alone...that's it. That's what I am suggesting to him.

FYI: The cams were installed when I was n/a, not boosted
Old 05-02-2006, 10:40 AM

seriously though, dont wanna put NO2 in my car... i dont race or anything... i'd describe my driving as "spirited", just looking for some cool little sleeper mods
You mean N2O

As far as having "sleeper" mods, anything you do under the hood is "sleeperish" untill you make it noticeable either visually or by sound.

In my opinion, the whole sleeper thing is over rated. You drive a Cobalt...no one is going to expect much unless you have an SS/SC. I'm not saying that Cobalts are slow, but the tuner/import generation isn't going to expect much from a 4 cylinder American car...I'm in the same league, no one expects my car to be quick, even with a turbo. Sad sad people
Old 05-02-2006, 11:18 AM

Yeah but come on Adam, it's sure funny when you beat someone and then pop the hood to show.....nothing??? That's made my night many times.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by slowion2
Yeah but come on Adam, it's sure funny when you beat someone and then pop the hood to show.....nothing??? That's made my night many times.
that's nothin...

Try showing them you're an automatic...then it's like "ZOMG!"
Old 05-02-2006, 11:28 AM

LOL very true, one of our guys was running mid to low 12's with his auto and people at rallys just were in disbelief haha
Old 05-02-2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by slowion2
LOL very true, one of our guys was running mid to low 12's with his auto and people at rallys just were in disbelief haha

I believe it

Quick Reply: best ways to put more ponies in my 2.2 without boost?