2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Boost -vs 2.2 eco!!! What will or won't it take?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NJHK
sorry but that was a p0wn right there...
<3

My sweetie
Old 09-13-2007, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Novajoe
then why did you say you broke camshafts and bent valves?

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...8&postcount=60
nice work son!

Yellowshowbalt where is the retort, you can't get out of that one!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
becouse everyone was screeming whats the damage. and i said it broke a cam becouse how the engine was sounding "but i never got in to the engine when i said that" so i realy dident know. but when i finaly got some time i pulled the cam cover and there was nothing wrong. so i did a compreshion test and they were 200 and droping to 160 and holding so that lead me to air is ging in but exhaust is not coming out the end.

so yes i did lie about the cam being broke. thats what i thault hapened. i said that before i ever looked at my car. sorry.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by RollermanDan
I have a spare engine with forged internals for sell...
how much?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:47 PM

When he said the engine was blown and then said it was only the cat i understood it...did no one else?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Smitty1017
When he said the engine was blown and then said it was only the cat i understood it...did no one else?
I dunno. I guess I missed the post where he said it was just the cat. I was looking through some things for some tips on my own m62 install and saw some of his old posts.

Either way he's still breakin stuff though. He's running super rich so his engine shouldn't blow... but he'll foul so many sets of spark plugs and go through cat after cat as well as totally caking his combustion chamber with carbon. He might as well of broken a camshaft and bent a few valves... would've been cheaper. cats aren't cheap and the rest of the damage will take it's own toll.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:14 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Its Cobaltss.net, everyone has selective hearing, they don't have to listen to the whole story.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:32 PM

No body is arguing that yellow didn't rush into supercharging without learning what he needed to do.

BUT at the same time I think people are being a bit too harsh on him...I mean it's his own money..he's not pulling money out of your checking account to pay for new cats...
Old 09-13-2007, 07:40 PM

No body is arguing that yellow didn't rush into supercharging without learning what he needed to do.

BUT at the same time I think people are being a bit too harsh on him...I mean it's his own money..he's not pulling money out of your checking account to pay for new cats...
I know. But I have my opinion on things. If he wants to go through breaking a bunch of stuff instead of doing it professionally then there's nothing I can do or say that's gonna stop him.

The fact is he posted here. He's going to get the information he needs along with peoples' opinions. If he can't deal with that then he should have bought a book on tuning and performance building rather than posting on a forum. Just the way life is. No matter what you're doing you're always going to have to deal with peoples' opinions.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Either way he's still breakin stuff though. He's running super rich so his engine shouldn't blow... but he'll foul so many sets of spark plugs and go through cat after cat as well as totally caking his combustion chamber with carbon. He might as well of broken a camshaft and bent a few valves... would've been cheaper. cats aren't cheap and the rest of the damage will take it's own toll.
solution to listed problem about cats: run catless

however, wouldnt he be running super lean? extra air from a SC but no extra fuel due to a lack of tuning...
Old 09-14-2007, 08:20 AM

running lean is not my problem. its running way to rich. when i hit boost the ecm panics and just drops fuel. like crazy.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
solution to listed problem about cats: run catless

however, wouldnt he be running super lean? extra air from a SC but no extra fuel due to a lack of tuning...
Running catless could be a solution... but it's like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound without getting the bullet out.

if he was running stock injectors then he would be running super lean. but he's not. He could try getting some smaller injectors... but I watched his video of his a/f runs. He IS running lean(higher 14s was the highest I saw) at some points while he was on the gas. I'd bet my left nut that if he monitored knock that he's getting a good amount of it at several points.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
he swapped injectors without a tune? jesus christ....even swapping from a 24lb/h to a 32lb/h injector means he's idling an AFR around 11.5:1
Old 09-15-2007, 08:20 AM

wrong again my a/f at idling is 14.5 -14.7 and when i hit the gas under boost it drops
Old 09-15-2007, 08:53 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
yeah the car will work it's way back to a 14.7 afr on it's own for idling and part throttle cruising with the 02 sensors, but the second you hit the throttle and go into PE, that's it <10:1 afr's (I tested something with the stage III PCM and 60's) car ran great part throttle and idled fine, but the second it went into boost it loaded up on so much fuel the engine would start breaking up.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Um, Well, first, welcome to the site I guess.

Second, you are in for some bad times dude.

If you had read anything on this site before you started, you would have learned that there is no currently no ability to tune the ECM in the 2005 L61 Cobalts. So it doesn't matter which injectors you stick in there, you won't be able to modify their operation at all.

I guess I'll point you to some articles. First, read this:

http://www.year2032.com/ecotec.htm

Then, read this:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/l61-turbo-super-forced-induction-information-thread-26325/

There is a new piggyback tuning product from AEM that should work with this car. It is your best bet. However, it has no ability to tune the transmission. You will still get a working a product, but the trans shifting will be harsh.
I just picked up a 10:1 FMU! Think the pump will support it @ 5psi?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Covey1
You cant do that, thats made for return style fuel systems. We run a returnless. Now if you wanna go and convert it and try it, go for it! but no one as of yet has posted a successful return style fuel system on the balt. Its really not hard, i think people are just too lazy to do it.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Covey1
go ahead and put your fuel pressure to 5psi and see what happens...

You're going to need more than that for these cars. The problem is our pcm isn't designed for boost, so as soon as you introduce it the map sensor, maf sensor, O2 sensors, etc. are going to go crazy. You need some way to intercept those signals so that the bcm doesn't know anything's been changed.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
yeah the car will work it's way back to a 14.7 afr on it's own for idling and part throttle cruising with the 02 sensors, but the second you hit the throttle and go into PE, that's it <10:1 afr's (I tested something with the stage III PCM and 60's) car ran great part throttle and idled fine, but the second it went into boost it loaded up on so much fuel the engine would start breaking up.
Exactly.

Closed Loop will keep him alive.

You're going to need more than that for these cars. The problem is our pcm isn't designed for boost, so as soon as you introduce it the map sensor, maf sensor, O2 sensors, etc. are going to go crazy. You need some way to intercept those signals so that the bcm doesn't know anything's been changed.
On the cobalts, the MAF sensor is the main air metering device. It's meant to measure air but the problem is that it can only read upwards of 5 volts and it relates to a certain fuel map in the computer because it's estimating how much air is coming in (or supposed to be coming in). It won't freak out but it will just be in accurate. I don't have experience with these cars specifically but I'd bet that it will start to dump fuel or pull timing.

The BCM has nothing to do with fuel enrichment or ignition timing.

The O2 sensors won't freak out because in power enrichment, it IGNORES the primary O2 sensor. The primary O2 sensor is only used for closed loop operation...other than that, it does nothing. In power enrichment, it ONLY meters with the air metering device(s).

Last thing, he was saying 5 PSI of boost pressure, not fuel pressure.

Last edited by NJHK; 09-25-2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-25-2007, 08:46 PM

do you even know anything about cars ? your post is idiotic

the BCM does body functions , it has nothing to do with the motor running n/a boost or other wise , only part of the pcm it controls is the theft and tell the pcm not to allow the motor to run

people have been adding boost to car with computers since the 80's , and they were stupid computers with barely enough knowledge to do simple math , lol

just because the computer doesnt have a program in it set for boost doesnt mean its have major issues , there is always around something
Old 09-25-2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Exactly.

Closed Loop will keep him alive.

On the cobalts, the MAF sensor is the main air metering device. It's meant to measure air but the problem is that it can only read upwards of 5 volts and it relates to a certain fuel map in the computer because it's estimating how much air is coming in (or supposed to be coming in). It won't freak out but it will just be in accurate. I don't have experience with these cars specifically but I'd bet that it will start to dump fuel or pull timing.

The BCM has nothing to do with fuel enrichment or ignition timing.

The O2 sensors won't freak out because in power enrichment, it IGNORES the primary O2 sensor. The primary O2 sensor is only used for closed loop operation...other than that, it does nothing. In power enrichment, it ONLY meters with the air metering device(s).

Last thing, he was saying 5 PSI of boost pressure, not fuel pressure.
I know about the mafs. I basically said it would just freak out because I didn't feel like explaing

meant to say pcm

he doesn't have something to keep him in PE all the time. Or would it do that automatically?

thought he was talking about fuel pressure. sry

Originally Posted by 97cavie24ls
do you even know anything about cars ? your post is idiotic

the BCM does body functions , it has nothing to do with the motor running n/a boost or other wise , only part of the pcm it controls is the theft and tell the pcm not to allow the motor to run

people have been adding boost to car with computers since the 80's , and they were stupid computers with barely enough knowledge to do simple math , lol

just because the computer doesnt have a program in it set for boost doesnt mean its have major issues , there is always around something
take it easy buddy. sry I said bcm instead of pcm.

I've added a turbo to a naturally aspirated engine before using just a rising rate and a map clamp. Just seems these cars are a little more complicated than that. Possibly a maf translator would do some good, but I don't really have alot of experience with that.

And the fact that the pcm isn't programmed for boost is a decent issue. The fact that it's not set to read air pressures above 1 bar, fuel tables for n/a are COMPLETELY different from f/i(which isn't that hard to change, but he's not running a programmer), and same with the ignition tables.

computers are still stupid, they just have more capability now to check different aspects of the engine than they did in the 80s with obd 1

the point I was trying to make is even if he does get the a/f right with a 10:1 regulator there's going to be other complications. I just didn't say it very well and I apologize

Last edited by Novajoe; 09-25-2007 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-26-2007, 01:20 AM

i love secks....
Old 09-26-2007, 01:46 AM

umm something it seems everyone forgot about...

what year balt do you have?

if you say 07 go do the happy dance and get HPtuned... if not.. get the AEM F/ic that looks good... and still if not.. there's a company thats developing a intake manifold and tuning combo for 2.2s that could be freakin sweet for you if it works as well as planned

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
i love secks....

dewd so do eye

Last edited by elecblue06; 09-26-2007 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, not quite...

HP Tuners actually does NOT support the 2007, at least not yet anyway. It should soon.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
umm something it seems everyone forgot about...

what year balt do you have?

if you say 07 go do the happy dance and get HPtuned... if not.. get the AEM F/ic that looks good... and still if not.. there's a company thats developing a intake manifold and tuning combo for 2.2s that could be freakin sweet for you if it works as well as planned

dewd so do eye
Yup, im sending my SMT-6 out this week so they can finish it up =P I cant wait to slap it on. i wont go into details tho...

Quick Reply: Boost -vs 2.2 eco!!! What will or won't it take?