2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

bypass 2.2 egr or w/e it is

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Get low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HALFCENT FTW ... idk why they called you out dude... i knew you were right i just couldnt back it up like you so i stayed quiet..... nice ownage bro
Old 08-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Halfcent
Old 08-23-2006, 11:41 PM

yeah I definitely don't have that flange on my stock manifold

why would they even do that for 06's if its not in use? clearing out the inventory?
Old 08-24-2006, 12:06 AM

ok, i have the flange and there is something bolted to the top of it with a sensor that plugs into it, there is a small metal hose that goes from the manfold into this "EGR valve" well call it for now.... than there is a longgggg hose that looks like a coolant line that runs to a small pump under my front bumper, ther is also a hose on the airbox side of my engine that was connected to the sock upper airbox... and the only reason i believe this is a neseccary part of the engine (not necessary but needed for no CEL) is because of the sensor plugged to the top of the thingy... if u want i will take more pictures of it for you tomorrow...
Old 08-24-2006, 12:40 AM

Wouldn't using EGR's be a step backward or am I completely off?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:04 AM

halfcent im fully aware of those pics , and that port , but there is no pic of the intake side of the head , so no idea if it goes through all the way , but looking at the last pic looks like its a dead hole

but there is something on the exhaust manifold , and from what silverbalt is discribing it is AIR injection

i have seen 2 cars with a different valve than what he is saying on his , and it looked like egr to me , but it was a long time ago , and at that time i didnt think about it

and egr comes and goes on vehicles , its been on and off cars since 1974 , it has nothing to do with technogoly , it has to do with the emissions standars , and what it takes to get a motor through emissions
Old 08-24-2006, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by SilverBalt
ok, i have the flange and there is something bolted to the top of it with a sensor that plugs into it, there is a small metal hose that goes from the manfold into this "EGR valve" well call it for now.... than there is a longgggg hose that looks like a coolant line that runs to a small pump under my front bumper, ther is also a hose on the airbox side of my engine that was connected to the sock upper airbox... and the only reason i believe this is a neseccary part of the engine (not necessary but needed for no CEL) is because of the sensor plugged to the top of the thingy... if u want i will take more pictures of it for you tomorrow...
That sounds like an Air Injection Reaction system. It pumps fresh air into the exhaust manifold when the engine is cold to get the catalytic converter up to temp more quickly.

Your vehicle probably has California emissions. And yes you would likely need a header with a flange for the AIR system to keep the SES light from coming on.

Oh, and while the EGR valve isn't used on the Ecotec, the stock exhaust cam is cut in such a way that some exhaust gas will remain in the combustion chamber for the next combustion cycle.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:23 AM

honestly i dont really believe that about the exhaust cam , on the 2.4 id believe the cam being doubled as egr , since they can control the timing
Old 08-24-2006, 09:04 AM
Banned

Lets lay this to rest...

NO EGR ON THE COBALTS...happy?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 97cavie24ls
halfcent im fully aware of those pics , and that port , but there is no pic of the intake side of the head , so no idea if it goes through all the way , but looking at the last pic looks like its a dead hole
The intake side of the head has the exact same dead end port as the exhaust side. I didn't include a separate picture of it because it is the same as the exhaust picture I provided. Neither port goes all the way through. It makes it about 3/4 of an inch into the casting and then just stops.

Tomorrow (Friday) is when I was planning on doing my work to the car, so I will be able to get my additional pictures then. I'll ask WOP for his input too, he'll know what that is for sure.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:50 AM

here, this is a picture of what my stock manifol looks like... maybe while looking at this we can come to an agreement, halfcent, there might not be an EGR vavle it could be the air injection like he said ^^ but there is deffinatly SOMETHING on my freeking manifold

Old 08-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

What you are seeing connected to your exhaust manifold is the diverter valve for the Secondary Air Injection. For 2007 if the 2.2 L61 is targeted to meet the new California PZEV Emission standard (Partial Zero Emission Vehicles) will have option code NU6 (Calif-PZEV) that includes an electric air pump, mounted below your intake manifold.
HTH
WopOnTour
Old 08-24-2006, 12:17 PM

for 07 ? the cars ive gotten info from aaron @ turbo tech are both 06's , 1 has a june 05 build date , the other cars build date he didnt have

i think the june 05 was with out

forgot to mention that both cars have the 8th digit of "F"

which is kinda odd since GM usually gives different digits when a change like that is made
Old 08-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

You're right the PZEV 2.2 (RPO NU6) has been available since 06 model year
Cali Emissions systems dont affect the VIN code
Wop
Old 08-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Going back to us (Turbo Tech Racing) you mean
Old 08-24-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by SilverBalt
lol, what ever the hell it is i want some one to develop a header for my car, my pacesetter just got picked up from my house about 30mins ago from fed-ex going back to pacesetter lol...

you coulda put it on and sent me your stock stuff , so i could get the header fitting for the what ever it is
Old 08-24-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm old school

I just learned that I am on a trip this weekend starting tomorrow morning, so I have to put off the work I planned to do. But I will follow up on this once I get the chance back home.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Going back to us (Turbo Tech Racing) you mean

yes that is true lol, sorry
Old 08-24-2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by 97cavie24ls
you coulda put it on and sent me your stock stuff , so i could get the header fitting for the what ever it is
wish i knew that, but i dont know if i would want t drive around with a CEL for a while...
Old 08-24-2006, 03:41 PM

yeah i know what you mean

kinda sucks hp tuners hasnt worked for the 2.2 yet , or you could just block the code
Old 08-24-2006, 03:43 PM

yeah, what do u mean block the code?
Old 08-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

You could take Hptuners software and disable that code from throwing itself. Thats what blocking the code means. Too bad no 2.2 support yet....
Old 08-24-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm old school

Okay, I was able to get a couple simple shots just being under my hood.

Here is a stock exhaust installation with the heat sheild in place. This is my 2005 L61. As you can see, the 2005 does not have the provision on the manifold for the air injection, but the heat shield does have an opening for it. More on this point later.

This is the intake side of the head. Under that bracket is the casting hole for the original EGR design, but even with out the bracket there, the hole still leads nowhere.

Here is what we have learned so far from what I can tell...

No Cobalt L61 Ecotec's have EGR. None of them. The engine head has older casting provisions left in it from when it was designed to have an EGR, but it was never used, and never fully removed from the casting design.

2004 heads have the casting, but still didn't use it.

2005 exhaust manifolds don't have provisions for air injection, but apparently 2006 (and perhaps up) do. There is reported to be some plumbing attached to it running to the intake side.

So back to the original question. Can you put an aftermarket header without provisions for the air injector on a 2006 L61?

I honestly don't know. But I can guess. I bet the air injection is just required for California emissions. Obviously the engine works without it, since the 2005 engines don't have it. So I would guess that you certainly could use such a header. However, since the system is programmed into the computer, you would have to deal with a CEL. AND, the part would not be CARB compliant. But I live in Illinois, so I wouldn't really care.

This means that the Aftermarket Header Manufacturers of the world now have a challenge on their hands. They have to redesign their parts. They have to make a header that has provisions for air injection, and can have that provision capped off for cars that don't use it.

Back to that earlier point, about things being in the design of the car that don't get used. That opening in the heat shield isn't there by accident. Somebody put it there knowing that in the future it would be needed. The EGR is so far the fourth example of things in this car I have noticed where its designed into it and either not used, or used in later models.

The second thing was the Passenger Air Bag detection system. The 2005 cars had all of the provisions built right in the design (like the annunciator on the dash in between the seat heater switches that didn't do anything), but the car just plain didn't have it. Then in 2006 it did. The third thing is also a cylinder head casting detail. The J-bodies used the accessory mounting pad on the head to drive the power steering pump. The Cobalts don't use it, and it is just plainly capped off, but it's still there in the head design.

Last edited by Halfcent; 08-24-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Banned

So if he sends it back to Turbo Tech does that mean Turbo Tech will have it at a discounted price??? Hmmm? Tell me if its true!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
So if he sends it back to Turbo Tech does that mean Turbo Tech will have it at a discounted price??? Hmmm? Tell me if its true!
why would it be discounted... i never even took it out of the plastic wrapping inside the box, the header came out of the box but never left the plastic, it wasnt even NEAR my car, it sat outisde in the plastic in the grass next to my garage

Quick Reply: bypass 2.2 egr or w/e it is