2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

A/C Delco oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Delco oil filter

I was gonna change my oil yesterday since it was nice out but I went to 3 different auto parts stores and none of them had the A/C delco oil filter that I've used before. They didn't even have the fiter in their computer systems....one guy said that it may have been discontinued?? the a/c delco part # is PF456G, anyone know what happened to these filters?? I bought a puroilator filter but didn't use it, I'm no oil filter expert but imo it looks cheap and like crap.... one guy tried to sell me a "duralast" filter but it really looked like crap and it said "made in india" on it... so i passed on that one... any thoughts?

p.s. mod's.. if this should be in the problems and service section plz move, thanks, Brandon
Old 03-12-2006, 05:43 PM

You could always hit up the dealership or order them online.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:58 PM

dealership only for ac delco
Old 03-12-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by brandon11482
I was gonna change my oil yesterday since it was nice out but I went to 3 different auto parts stores and none of them had the A/C delco oil filter that I've used before. They didn't even have the fiter in their computer systems....one guy said that it may have been discontinued?? the a/c delco part # is PF456G, anyone know what happened to these filters?? I bought a puroilator filter but didn't use it, I'm no oil filter expert but imo it looks cheap and like crap.... one guy tried to sell me a "duralast" filter but it really looked like crap and it said "made in india" on it... so i passed on that one... any thoughts?

p.s. mod's.. if this should be in the problems and service section plz move, thanks, Brandon
im using the purolator oil filter/element and royal purple oil and no problems. would like to point out that the dic shows i get about another 1000 miles out of royal purple than with mobil one, just for anyones info.....
Old 03-12-2006, 06:24 PM

i'll add my voice to the chorus suggesting dealership, with a caveat. make sure you look around. the dealer by work charges me 6 bucks for an acdelco filter (cheaper than the fram at walmart). the dealer by my house charges 12 bucks for the same filter. another option would be to go to gmpartsdirect.com for them. i believe they're 5.50 or so a piece there. granted, there'd be shipping and handling charges, but i think around 6 was the break even point. then again, ordering a bunch of them might be asking for trouble.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:26 PM

I like WIX...
Old 03-13-2006, 12:08 AM

Update

I went to Murray's and found the fiter, they didn't have any in stock though, but they did have the A/C Delco for our car WITH the cap (cap with seal and ~1 1/4 size nut) little FYI for anyone who messed up their cap. This filter WITH cap has a different part number though, I can post it up tomorrow if anyone wants.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBalt
I like WIX...
me too
Old 03-13-2006, 02:47 AM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by love my SS
im using the purolator oil filter/element and royal purple oil and no problems. would like to point out that the dic shows i get about another 1000 miles out of royal purple than with mobil one, just for anyones info.....
Yikes!
First of all, your Engine Oil Life algorithm has no knowledge of what TYPE of oil you use. There's no oil sensor probe in the engine or anything.It's all about where you live (ambient conditions) and how you drive (RPM, temperature, loads etc) So saying using Royal Purple increases your oil life in any way is pure bullshiz.

Here's some additional info on the GM Oil Life system
http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...ce_040104.html

Second, I hope you are aware that you are actually putting your engine warranty in jeapordy by using Royal Purple. Now I'm not knocking RP cuz I'm sure it's as good or better than any of the other synthetics out there, BUT If you look in your owners manual you will find that the Supercharged Ecotec engine (LSJ) requires synthetic engine oils that meet the GM4718M sythetic oil specification of which Royal Purple DOES NOT. Using an oil that does not meet that standard can be grounds for engine warranty denial.

So use what you want on YOUR OWN car, but if you care about your warranty you will stick to oils that have successfully completed the certification of this standard. Those that have will clearly state as such on the bottle packaging. Besides Mobile 1, I do know for certain Texaco Havoline Synthetic and Chevron Supreme Sythethetic are GM4718M approved, but there may be others.

As far as filters, you can still get the genuine AC Delco filter you seek at almost any GM Dealer.
Regards
WopOnTour

Last edited by WopOnTour; 03-13-2006 at 04:30 AM.