2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Cams

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cams

i was on maximum boosts site and i see that they sell cams for the 2.2. has anyone bought these? if so i'd like to know some information:

gains
dyno
1/4 increase
Old 06-28-2006, 02:09 PM

to my knowledge nobody has purchased them yet
Old 06-28-2006, 02:17 PM

Do cams have any benefit on a N/A engine?
Old 06-28-2006, 02:20 PM

Max Boost, isnt that that Frank McKeever guy that got kicked off of here?

If so, from what I understand you should be wary of giving him your $$$.

If not, then I retract the previous statement.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by kyyankee
Do cams have any benefit on a N/A engine?
yes they can provide significant gains on an N/A engine depending on the specs of the cams.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:17 PM

turbo tech also has cams on thier site and they are good people to deal with
Old 06-28-2006, 03:18 PM

guy's make sure you can tune for them first, I'm not sure about the 2.2L, but the SS/SC's are finiky about everything you add.
I know mine had starting problem at first, untill I got a flash reprogram.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by chipsgt

Max boost is a business just like any other, stop talking out of your ass without knowing what really happened, frank has been running that business for years and the only problem why he is not a seller here anymore is because he had a problem paying for his seller fees.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ljavy17
Max boost is a business just like any other, stop talking out of your ass without knowing what really happened, frank has been running that business for years and the only problem why he is not a seller here anymore is because he had a problem paying for his seller fees.
Speaking of talking out of ones ass....

Did you not READ what I said?

Originally Posted by chipsgt

Meaning, I have HEARD that he is not a good person to deal with by what i have read from his customers on this forum.

The general concencus seems to be that he is not a good person to deal with.

I am perfectly willing to discuss it, however dont get all butt-hurt the first time you disagree with something. A simple explanation would have sufficed.

I for one just dont want to see anyone get burned. Further more, if it was simply an issue of him not being able to pay the fee, why is it he hasnt been on as a regular member since he lost the ability to be a supporting vendor.

I didnt post what I did as fact, it was from what I have read here on cobaltss.net.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:41 PM

What kind of gains could I expect from stage 1 from TTR and possibly the adjustable gears from JBP?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say 10 horse or so. nothing too special.

expect worse gas milage though.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:18 PM

I saw closer to 15-20 HP gain, but that my be because I have the JBP Tri-flow cam, it's more of a blower type cam.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by player_1
I saw closer to 15-20 HP gain, but that my be because I have the JBP Tri-flow cam, it's more of a blower type cam.
also that cause you have a blower from what i see the ss\sc tend to get more whp from the same parts now the question is do they respond better or did gm really restrict everything

but right now the stg ones say no ecu modding needed but the stg 2's you do and the 2.2 is sol right now
Old 06-28-2006, 07:10 PM

yah for my stage two, I need to tune so my by pass valve doesn't bleed the extra boost I gained.

but I'm sure with larger injectors, and some adjustments to timing, I could potentially gain 50WHP easy from stock
Old 06-28-2006, 09:58 PM

I was also thinking about getting a set of Set of the Stage 1 cams from TTR since I wil be staying N/A for a while. I was just hoping that someone could explain what all the specs mean so I could understand them better. I know NJHK will have something to say since he knows his stuff.

Here are the specs for the cams:

-Street (Stage 1) Applications power from 2600-6800rpm .423 intake and .419 exhaust valve lift, 252 intake and 256 exhaust duration advertized (210 intake and 212 exhaust @ .050" duration) Works best with computer modifications not required.

Thanks in advance for help.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:06 PM

I don't know what the numbers specifically mean but pretty much its telling you the power range in which the cams operate (2600-6800rpm), how much lift (to let air into the cylinder) and for how long for both the intake cam and the exhaust cam.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:06 AM

i dunno about having to tune the cams. it realy depends on how aggressive they are. i have the jwt cams in my specv and they didn't require tuning, yet i'm sure i woulda made bigger gains having it dyno tuned. if the cams are just slightly more aggressive then stock then running on the stock ecu fuel and ignition maps shouldn't be an issue. yea in boosted cars you can tune out big power with cams and cam gears. it's been said that some d series honda guys can make 20whp just from tuning after installing cam gears. anyone know the stock cam specs on the 2.2?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:15 AM

any time you put in cams that are different from the stock profiles, you need to tune accordingly for them. if you guys have no way to tune yet, then don't waste your money yet, seriously.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:30 AM

thats not true, you can run and run well if the cams aren't very aggressive. now if the cam profiles are extreme then yes you will need to get tuned. and from what i have learned there isn't a easy way availible yet. like i saidi've installed cams before and i didn't get a reflash or tune for them and my car ran fine and had really nice gains. hense the turm computer friendly cams.

Last edited by specvgini; 06-29-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:47 AM

if memory serves me well, which it doesn't most of the time, the 2.2 and 2.0 are the same engine..other than stroke, so why would these cams not work for the ss/sc...hmmm, cams is my next thing i think...
Old 06-29-2006, 10:58 AM

well the bottom end has nothing to do with the head. if they use the same head then you could.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by specvgini
thats not true, you can run and run well if the cams aren't very aggressive. now if the cam profiles are extreme then yes you will need to get tuned. and from what i have learned there isn't a easy way availible yet. like i saidi've installed cams before and i didn't get a reflash or tune for them and my car ran fine and had really nice gains. hense the turm computer friendly cams.
keep in mind though, you're not getting the full potential out of them because you're still putting a different profile in there. it might have some gain on stock tune, but you can't tell me it's as much power or more as if you tuned fuel correctly with some sorty of piggyback system at least.

if you're going to buy aftermarket cams and not tune for them you're wasting your money in my opinion. if you were just going to swap in a set from a 2.0 then maybe you'll be fine since it won't be too odd, but you can't honestly expect a decent gain from that.

if it reads computer friendly it's most likely weak sauce, or can have a lot more power unlocked with proper tuning.

EDIT: I will give you this, the stock ECU does have a pretty good tuning ability. right now my a/f is smooth and at the level where I would have tuned it at anyway, so it isn't too bad, but I won't give it too much credit.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ljavy17
Granted, that might why he isn't selling on here but you have no idea about his actual business and how it works. He's a middle man...does no type of research and devlopement. For all you know, those cams could be specs that he just made up and paying someone to grind and selling it to you and hurting your cars performance. It could be someone elses camshafts and he's selling it more than they would. Point is, he's not the developer of the specifications and he's in no way in any type of authority or knowledge to design camshafts. If he tells you he designed them, he's full of it.

We don't like Frank because mainly of his business ethics. I especially don't like him selling customers turbo parts saying it's one brand when really it's a knock off cheap part...but that's another topic.

So yes, he's been in so called business for years but he's only actually been a registered business in the state of Florida since earlier this year. Registered or not, he's no business anyone should buy from.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by kyyankee
What kind of gains could I expect from stage 1 from TTR and possibly the adjustable gears from JBP?
Please please don't expect a certain amount of power gain. You basically have to install them, adjust your cam gears on a dyno (for optimal known gains) and tune from there with some sort of tuning device.

Basically, don't head into this thinking "so and so said I'll gain 10 HP, so I'm gonna gain 10 HP"...you could realistically lose 2 HP, you could gain 15. When increasing air flow, your a/f mixture changes and that makes a difference overall.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by player_1
yah for my stage two, I need to tune so my by pass valve doesn't bleed the extra boost I gained.

but I'm sure with larger injectors, and some adjustments to timing, I could potentially gain 50WHP easy from stock
I highly doubt you'll gain 50 WHP from camshafts, injectors and ignition timing...supercharged or not.

First of all, are you getting a reflash from GM?

How do you plan on changing ignition timing? You have HP Tuners?

Quick Reply: Cams