2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

cams

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are lots of tech articles out there to explain how cams work. Many variables affect how your engine runs: lift and event duration, ramp design, lobe separation, Intake centerline, advertised Vs .050 specs, advancing, retarding, etc. etc.

High lift, long duration, and close lobe separation allows an engine to breath better at higher RPMs -- but low RPM and idle quality suffers. Not just because the increased lift allows for more air to be moved but you need to consider time -- at 6000 RPM there is less time for the air to be moved than at 600 RPM. Carburated engines were/are the most difficult to work with because with a high-performance camshaft the Air/Fuel mixture at idle is screwed up causing loping -- (rumpity rumpity). Computers and fuel injection help to a point.

Stock camshafts are designed to give the best performance with emphasis on emissions, mileage, idle quality, and fuel octane availability. Simply put, performance cams concentrate more on performance with less regard for the rest. Since an engine is an air mover, it stands to reason that if you can get more air in and more air out you can make more power -- to a point. Same reason we all go nuts installing larger exhausts, intakes, blowers, turbos,(nitrous does the same thing by making more oxygen available which is why more fuel has to be added)......get the point?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of going with JBP's triflows. They seem to be a much better cam and have probably had more R&D then any of the others. Just going to wait and see if they get some way of keeping it from setting a code.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:49 PM

You guys need to visit howthingswork.com and look up camshafts. It's got a nice article on them and variable valve timing.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by repoman
I'm thinking of going with JBP's triflows. They seem to be a much better cam and have probably had more R&D then any of the others. Just going to wait and see if they get some way of keeping it from setting a code.

I have had the JBP Stage 2 cams since December, I love them, HP Tuners solves the the code issue, but if you plan on having a 7K RPM I recommend new valve springs as well.

I'm unsure as to how much the stock valve springs can be pushed, and since JBP will not post full spec's of the cams I'd never be able to calculate weather it was safe or not.

but if you do get cams, make sure to get it tuned, I know The SS/SC has a vary finicky computer and reacts to every mod. as I'm sure goes for the others
Old 09-25-2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by player_1
I have had the JBP Stage 2 cams since December, I love them, HP Tuners solves the the code issue, but if you plan on having a 7K RPM I recommend new valve springs as well.

I'm unsure as to how much the stock valve springs can be pushed, and since JBP will not post full spec's of the cams I'd never be able to calculate weather it was safe or not.

but if you do get cams, make sure to get it tuned, I know The SS/SC has a vary finicky computer and reacts to every mod. as I'm sure goes for the others
We can't get tuning yet
Old 09-25-2006, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05sedan
here is a email i got from gmpartsdirect.com these cams are 504.00

"Customer Service" <customerservice@gmpartsdirect.com>
08/28/2006 09:14 AM

To: <Richard.Combs@federalmogul.com>
cc:
Subject: RE: cam question 1295

88958648, can be used in all three Ecotec engines.
If installed by your local dealership it would carry the balance of the factory warranty, or have a 12 month, or 12.,000 mile warranty whichever occurs first.
The GM parts catalog does not list estimated gains of the camshaft performance kit.
The performance parts catalog does not list whether or not the valve train requires to be upgraded.

Thank you for choosing www.GmPartsDirect.com
Am I the only one who thinks there is something wrong with them saying that the camshafts work on all 3 motors? I mean...isn't the one motor VVT, I would think that they have different lobes for when it switches over, right?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by player_1

Did you ever tune for your camshafts? What did you have to change?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:49 PM

Cams are there anything for the 2.4???