2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

catch can

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cobaltracrtc
well i made sure everything was well put but once it got installed and did a drift lap i heard a loud noise and the mount broke off the chasis and broke everything in the oil catchcan but nothing happend to everything else luckly tho
well thats diff haha, your putting stresses on the car and mounts of things more then any of us will
i swapped my valve cover for a painted one yest and it was all still fine

here lol, not too hard to find
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/polis...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-G-O...Q5fCarQ5fParts

here is the one i have (they changed and included the price of shipping...same i paid total though), they make it in mult colors
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IS300...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by NWAE Cobalt; 06-25-2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NWAE Cobalt
well thats diff haha, your putting stresses on the car and mounts of things more then any of us will
i swapped my valve cover for a painted one yest and it was all still fine

here lol, not too hard to find
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/polis...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-G-O...Q5fCarQ5fParts

here is the one i have (they changed and included the price of shipping...same i paid total though), they make it in mult colors
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IS300...Q5fAccessories
i like the little filter'd one better, it looks cooler lol hahaha although if i got it, i would paint it black to match the rest of the engine bay, any new pics of you engine bay with ur black cover?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jn2
i like the little filter'd one better, it looks cooler lol hahaha although if i got it, i would paint it black to match the rest of the engine bay, any new pics of you engine bay with ur black cover?
got installed at like 10pm last night at a buddies house and am at work now hahaha, ill get some after work today

and that filter defies the purpose
Old 06-25-2009, 04:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
got installed at like 10pm last night at a buddies house and am at work now hahaha, ill get some after work today

and that filter defies the purpose
For you maybe, I have that whole pressure issue in my charge piping, so I can't run it back to after the MAF...
Old 06-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Jn2

i would rather vent to atmosphere, than vent back into the intake :p the filter can catch the buildup...and i like it better to a breather bc the breather is located elsewhere not on the valve cover in plain sight
Old 06-25-2009, 05:24 PM

pics are here!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We need to get you some black hose...

Other than that, it looks great!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Edubs
We need to get you some black hose...

Other than that, it looks great!
+1 on the black hose. Would really help under the hood.

Would make it look more stock than anything.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Jn2

looks good, have u consider'/d a bigger front pipe for the intake, instead of the 2.75" pipe that turn into 3" on the MAF pipe? that could be a restriction for you, might of been ok for stock, but have stgII Cams..u should look into making a replacement in 3" see if that helps
Old 06-26-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jn2
looks good, have u consider'/d a bigger front pipe for the intake, instead of the 2.75" pipe that turn into 3" on the MAF pipe? that could be a restriction for you, might of been ok for stock, but have stgII Cams..u should look into making a replacement in 3" see if that helps
def been thinking about it lol, but until i get a new intake mani then im going to leave it lol

and about the black hose, i know, this is what came with it...waiting for payday haha
Old 06-28-2009, 11:40 PM

okay i might be going crazy but have any of you guys seen the design of our intake manifolds? the air runs to the back of the intake mani then down the up into the intake ports.

i can't for the life of me see how oil would miraculously get all the way through the intake manifold then into the engine.

maybe its just my pointless logic kicking in but i can't see the use for one of these.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Jn2

Originally Posted by blackbolt89
okay i might be going crazy but have any of you guys seen the design of our intake manifolds? the air runs to the back of the intake mani then down the up into the intake ports.

i can't for the life of me see how oil would miraculously get all the way through the intake manifold then into the engine.

maybe its just my pointless logic kicking in but i can't see the use for one of these.
take ur intake manifold off, look at ur intake port...than spray some throttle cleaner and see the buildup that comes out hahaha
Old 06-29-2009, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jn2
take ur intake manifold off, look at ur intake port...than spray some throttle cleaner and see the buildup that comes out hahaha
you really think if the slight buildup was a problem chevrolet would have devised a catch can themselves? i'm sorry to say it but i think they have a tiny bit more experience with cars than you do. if they saw that oil buildup would be a problem i'm almost dead certain that they would have added a catch can themselves.

but they didn't.

not to mention you'd think a car company that has been around since 1911 would have enough experience with motors to know that they're doing it wrong and that someone who's in his 20s knows more than they do.

Last edited by blackbolt89; 06-29-2009 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-29-2009, 12:45 AM

you really think if the slight buildup was a problem chevrolet would have devised a catch can themselves? i'm sorry to say it but i think they have a tiny bit more experience with cars than you do. if they saw that oil buildup would be a problem i'm almost dead certain that they would have added a catch can themselves.

but they didn't.

not to mention you'd think a car company that has been around since 1911 would have enough experience with motors to know that they're doing it wrong and that someone who's in his 20s knows more than they do.
Yeah I don't really understand this. So if the oil pressure in the engine gets too high, it will explode? To combat this as a safety system, there is a hose from the engine that goes into the intake? So too much pressure would push oil into the intake? And the car is purposely designed this way? This must not be a problem if it is designed that way. I guess dumping the oil on the ground would be an environmental problem so the next best place to route the oil is into the intake.

Why would the oil pressure be too high? What would cause that situation?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:15 AM

but they didn't.

its not that they didnt think of it, its that they didnt expect us to do with these cars what we are...its like having to change the clutch to a better one and saying "GM should have thought of this"....not really haha
Old 06-29-2009, 01:21 AM
Jn2

its not that they didnt think of it, its that they didnt expect us to do with these cars what we are...its like having to change the clutch to a better one and saying "GM should have thought of this"....not really haha
lol i was in the middle of typing that, they made a economy car, we mod the car, oil in the intake ports is a restriction we dont want, no one wants build up...
Old 06-29-2009, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jn2
lol i was in the middle of typing that, they made a economy car, we mod the car, oil in the intake ports is a restriction we dont want, no one wants build up...
yup yup, every car ive taken the intake mani on (4 cobalts) have all had oil in the intake ports

also, if you switch intake manis, or switch to boosted it all changes and you need to be able to combat it...think of it as a 25$ reallllllly cheap insurance for "just in case" that one time something wrong happens
Old 06-29-2009, 01:40 AM

so a stock chevy v8 should have a catch can then?

or did chevy not plan for their v8s to be abused?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:40 AM

So what if you don't catch more then half of the oil in that can,Would you be upset by it?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:48 AM

yup yup, every car ive taken the intake mani on (4 cobalts) have all had oil in the intake ports

also, if you switch intake manis, or switch to boosted it all changes and you need to be able to combat it...think of it as a 25$ reallllllly cheap insurance for "just in case" that one time something wrong happens
thats why i picked up mine putting it on when i put in my 2.4 intake manifold
Old 06-29-2009, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by burzumaske20
So what if you don't catch more then half of the oil in that can,Would you be upset by it?
I would be just pleased with a PERFECTLY clean catch can, that means the rest of my engine is doing its job, but if somethign goes wrong, then at least im protected

and no, the v8 shouldnt, they designed it for the way it rolled off the lot, but neither JN2 nor I run ANYWHERE near stock AT ALL and chevy did not plan for what i have done, so i have to. But if a v8 tossed some high compression and cams in the mix, or a blower, yes, i believe it would be a decent idea (although I do not know the v8 world to know if they would even need one in their application)

I dont think i have EVER seen a stock car to use one or be equiped with one. its not intended for that, reputable companies make them and designed them for aftermarket and non stock applications as a way to make sure your car does not "inhale" extra oil...

Originally Posted by Tank07
thats why i picked up mine putting it on when i put in my 2.4 intake manifold
good deal, which one did you end up getting???

and seriously...i dont understand why this is such a complicated idea??? im not saying we all need one, go ahead and NEVER buy one. but im saying for those of us drastically not stock, its cheap insurance for the money we have invested in the car. If this happened to my car stock i would take it tot he dealer under warranty....but i dont have one of those anymore....

Last edited by NWAE Cobalt; 06-29-2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-29-2009, 01:56 AM

I would be just pleased with a PERFECTLY clean catch can, that means the rest of my engine is doing its job, but if somethign goes wrong, then at least im protected

and no, the v8 shouldnt, they designed it for the way it rolled off the lot, but neither JN2 nor I run ANYWHERE near stock AT ALL and chevy did not plan for what i have done, so i have to. But if a v8 tossed some high compression and cams in the mix, or a blower, yes, i believe it would be a decent idea (although I do not know the v8 world to know if they would even need one in their application)

I dont think i have EVER seen a stock car to use one or be equiped with one. its not intended for that, reputable companies make them and designed them for aftermarket and non stock applications as a way to make sure your car does not "inhale" extra oil...

good deal, which one did you end up getting???
the same one you got......its good quality and the price was right

i just gotta figure out where im gonna mount it......i have the GMPP intake (SRI) so i gotta play around under the hood and make some room

Last edited by Tank07; 06-29-2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-29-2009, 02:45 AM

the same one you got......its good quality and the price was right

i just gotta figure out where im gonna mount it......i have the GMPP intake (SRI) so i gotta play around under the hood and make some room
haha, youll find a place

it does come with a secondary bracket you could bolt to the fire wall then bolt the one im using to it! put it right back there next to the strut tower behind the valve cover.

Last edited by NWAE Cobalt; 06-29-2009 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-29-2009, 02:47 AM

haha, youll find a place
i hope so its tight under there i have SAI as well FML lol

haha, youll find a place

it does come with a secondary bracket you could bolt to the fire wall then bolt the one im using to it! put it right back there next to the strut tower behind the valve cover.
that could work but i dk if i wanna run a hose that long

Last edited by Tank07; 06-29-2009 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-29-2009, 02:49 AM

i hope so its tight under there i have SAI as well FML lol

that could work but i dk if i wanna run a hose that long
ya, that is pretty long, other option is to put it in the front and bolt it around the intake area to the front where the hood latches and such (in front hahahaa)

Quick Reply: catch can