2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Cobalt 2.2L L61 Supercharged: Needing help before that supercharger get sold!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Cobalt 2.2L L61 Supercharged: Needing help before that supercharger get sold!!!

Hi guys,

My friend and I are so despaired now, hes thinking justly to sell the Eaton M62 supercharger because justly, we worked during 6 weeks to figure out why the car fell into limp mode randomly so he is really pissed off!

I'm gonna tell you what is the problem. We really need tuning experts to come in because we are thinking now that the problem is in the tune.

So, briefly the problem is:

What: The PCM throws those two codes: P1516, Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance ECM, PCM and P2101 Control Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance ECM, PCM. Once that those codes are thrown, the throttle body actuator get electrically disabled and then the car come into limp mode.

When: All of this happen randomly when the tune of Vince from Trifecta is in the PCM with either an LSJ throttle body or an L61 throttle body. By randomly, I mean it can happens immediatly after the car has been started after 2 times, after 15 times, after 4 times, after x times. We never know if the car will start correctly or not. If the car starts correctly without the problem, he can drive and even do wide open throttle pulls and everything is fine.

It doesn't happen when the stock tune is in the PCM. Stock tune means really, the tune of a stock Ecotec 2.2L L61 Cobalt. And no problem too if he changes his L61 throttle body for an LSJ throttle body. Of course, the guy cannot go into boost with the stock tune so the reason why he got tuned by Trifecta. So when I say no problem, I mean that when driving normally with the stock tune, he doesn't get any error code and he doesn't get into limp mode.

What has been tried to solve the problem: I wasn't there this time but a friend of him who is a mechanic tried all the steps, from 1 to 27, which can be found in this page: http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/tsb-reduced-engine-power-15539/

The only thing he didn't try enough, was to mess with the tune.

For all the great tuners out there, what do you have to modify in the stock tune in order to make the stock L61 or LSJ throttle body functionnal with the supercharger? Because we think that the problem is around the throttle body if we see those types of error codes. The trifecta tune may have something in it which doesn't command the proper actuator throttle body voltage, I don't know but this is what I think.

OR... does anybody think that this can be something else than the tune? I don't think so because of what I just explained (when this happened).

So please, I need your help so badly in order to make him keep his supercharger. This would be sad to sell that Eaton, all that work which went into that car and in the end, that work would be wasted!!

Last edited by firepinch; 09-28-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i cant see how it would be the tune, mostly because you said it does it with the stock TB as well. That would mean even not changing any of the TB values, the code is still set...which would point away from the tune being the cause.

outside of this opinion though...i have no idea how to help
Old 09-28-2009, 10:09 AM

I edited the part "When" of my post, I'm really sorry but I did a mistake when I explained it. So here is what I edited and the correct text is now this one:

When: All of this happen randomly when the tune of Vince from Trifecta is in the PCM with either an LSJ throttle body or an L61 throttle body[/U]. By randomly, I mean it happens immediatly after the car has been started after 2 times, after 15 times, after 4 times, after x times. We never know if the car will start correctly or not. [U]If the car starts correctly without the problem, he can drive and even do wide open throttle pulls and everything is fine.

Maybe this will make more sense or maybe this will make someone think about another idea?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ now it sounds like a lose wire or connection in your TB wiring.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is something besides the tune, cause he starts a custom tune with the same tune used on someone elses car with the same stuff. and you CANNOT switch back and forth between throttle bodies without the tune being changed for it..aka, vince tunes you for lsj and you switch cause its not working, thats not going to make it work.
also, what injectors do you have? cause i know his base tune for 2.2 sc is tuned for bigger injectors cause you HAVE to have bigger injectors, and the stock tune isnt and you shouldnt really be running the car on stock tune with bigger injectors. AT ALL
its a physical problem or a problem with sensors

check for leaks...somewhere im sure there is somekind of leak or soemthing vacuum hooked up wrong or soemthing
Old 09-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how did u rewire your TB? u cut, soder, shrink wrap and than tape it? or did u repin the harness? i just finsihed a sc install on a 2.2 saturday, so everything is once again fresh in memory :p i repin my wires, i dont think i cut anything anymore lol
Old 09-28-2009, 03:20 PM

ok, to edit my post, now that i have read the new posts..
did you rewire the tb connector for the lsj tb...? cause if not then that is a problem
Old 09-28-2009, 03:25 PM

I got these codes just by disconnecting my tb from the pigtail.

This is not a tune issue, and the fact that you are instantly running to blame Vince disgusts me.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Jn2

Originally Posted by utsadude
I got these codes just by disconnecting my tb from the pigtail.

This is not a tune issue, and the fact that you are instantly running to blame Vince disgusts me.
if you disco the TB and turn the key with it unplugged, u get eng pwr reduced and engine disabled BTW...tested this on 3 2.2's, mine hazas, and cj's
Old 09-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jn2
if you disco the TB and turn the key with it unplugged, u get eng pwr reduced and engine disabled BTW...tested this on 3 2.2's, mine hazas, and cj's
I got the codes and engine power reduced just from disconnecting it. Never turned the key with it unhooked but I still got the codes.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Jn2

u should try it :p you'll get engine disabled message on the DIC...would be a good way to make sure n one drove your car away when u were asleep at a party or soemthing, reach down unplug TB, ur car isnt being driven anywhere hahahahha....
Old 09-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Such a good idea.

I'm doing that from now on. haha
Old 09-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Jn2

Such a good idea.

I'm doing that from now on. haha
yup, great way to disable engine...and bc the TB harness is under the blower, no one notices itbeing unplugged :p
Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 PM

Wow! Allright thank you so much guys for your help, I'm gonna tell the mechanic to watch this tread. He's not at his shop now but I'm gonna for sure tell him that I got some answers. I unfortunately don't have the car near me now, it is at the mechanic's shop and the shop is closed now, so I can't act on it right now.

Thanx again guys for your help and if you have any other ideas you are welcome I hope so much that your ideas can solve the problem! The mechanic (his name is Patrick and he has an "Harroped" Cavalier), told me that he verified all the wiring, that may certainly include the wiring of the TB but let's see what will happen tomarrow!

and the fact that you are instantly running to blame Vince disgusts me.
I didn't mean to bash Vince directly, I'm really sorry if you took that this way. I, myself, respect so much Vince and all of his work and I don't like that too when people bash him. I justly thought about beeing tuned by him once I'm gonna add a methanol kit to my car next year. I simply stated what happened and two tunes were tried: the stock tune which is unfortunately not good for running into boost and the one from Vince. I thought that this was the tune but I wasn't sure at 100% at all and that is the reason why I hoped to have other ideas by starting a thread like this