2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Cobalt SS 2.0 parts to Cobalt LS 2.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBaseBolt
I retract my previous statement, I'm getting the full exhaust from the manifold back from a wrecked SS put on my car this comming thurs. I'll post pics when it's done.
Try to get a sound clip too if you can!
Old 07-17-2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by chucktheweasel
Hey guys. I just got a Cobalt LS 2.2 and my brother has the 2005 Cobalt SS 2.0 Supercharged. I was just wondering if any of his parts would fit on my car, such as the exhaust. Until the funds become available I want to put his stock exhaust on my car, becuase he has a Borla on his now. Would I be able to do this? Do they match up or not at all? Thanks!
the parts that will bolt right into your car are as follows

the injectors, the exhaust, and the manifold. so far these are the only things ive seen with my own eyes on another LS.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:41 PM

I retract my previous statement, I'm getting the full exhaust from the manifold back from a wrecked SS put on my car this comming thurs. I'll post pics when it's done.
grab the injectors too, they are a direct replacement. why dont you just get the engine for that matter, it would be sweet having an LS badge but really an SS/SC under the hood rolling around, on second thought, if you dont have a stick already then it wouldnt work
Old 07-17-2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
grab the injectors too, they are a direct replacement. why dont you just get the engine for that matter, it would be sweet having an LS badge but really an SS/SC under the hood rolling around, on second thought, if you dont have a stick already then it wouldnt work
it's funny you mention that. when the redline came out and I thought about trading mine in, I wanted to swap all the body panels over. that would be a fun little sleeper.

lately though myself and some other redline owners have been toying with the idea of throwing an LSJ into a sedan and tuning with HP tuners. how fun would it be to have a little four door car and then hearing that whine and blowing the doors off the guy next to you. I'm seriously contemplating it as my next large project.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xCobalt05x

Whats the point in having injectors when the car isn't gonna use them anyways?

It won't make me more power.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:51 PM

Actually I don't know that forsure.

Does anyone know if larger injectors , full exhaust (2.25inch from manifold back), and intake will actually make more power in combination?

I mean will the computer detect the larger injector and change the pulse due to the fact that there is more air flowing now that the breathing and shitting have been improved?
Old 07-18-2006, 05:28 PM

Does anyone know if larger injectors , full exhaust (2.25inch from manifold back), and intake will actually make more power in combination?

I mean will the computer detect the larger injector and change the pulse due to the fact that there is more air flowing now that the breathing and shitting have been improved?
probably not. the ecu is set for the injectors that come with it, so going larger is going to throw it off

how rich are you guys looking to get? I'm already at 12.8:1 on the stock ecu and injectors with a decent setup as it is. if you were forced induction I could see it but with the majority of n/a builds out there I don't think it's needed at all unless you really want to run pig rich.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:39 PM

Thanks.

Thats the answer I was looking for.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:43 PM

I'm not so sure the LSJ Header fits the L61, but if it does, I'm sure there are plenty of use LSJ guys who are willing to sell our stock stuff for cheap.

I'm going to go to a 3" Full back system my self.
JBP Header, Downpipe, and exhaust.

but to add to your list, I'm about 95% sure the LSJ springs, Shock/Struts are a direct bolt on as well.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:52 PM

I am 100% positive it fits on there player. if anything, one bolt on the L61 heat shield won't line up properly, but the heat shield for an LSJ will line up fine on it since that's what it's for durrr LOL
Old 07-18-2006, 11:22 PM

I dont' care much how well my car handles compaired to how fast it is .

I'm still lowering it though. For looks really.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The point of bigger injectors is to supply more fuel to meet the engines demand. Bigger injectors also spray more fuel per squirt.

If there is no demand in more fuel, bigger injectors will be a waste and hurt your performance and if the computer was not flashed for the injectors or the base fuel pressure isn't lowered, than it will cause rough idling and/or cause flooding of the engine.

Now, with minor air changes on the intake and exhaust side, your computer can more than likely keep your a/f ratio at a proper ratio where you'll have either best performance or good performance overall.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
All of the SS suspension parts swap. The wheel hubs are obviously different (4 vs 5 lug). You already know about the exhaust. All body panels are interchangeable. All interior parts are interchangeable.

The powertrain is a different story. But I'm guessing your brother doesn't plan on pulling that out, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.
Does this include the lower control arm, if it does gotta update my suspension build up
Old 07-19-2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
The point of bigger injectors is to supply more fuel to meet the engines demand. Bigger injectors also spray more fuel per squirt.

If there is no demand in more fuel, bigger injectors will be a waste and hurt your performance and if the computer was not flashed for the injectors or the base fuel pressure isn't lowered, than it will cause rough idling and/or cause flooding of the engine.

Now, with minor air changes on the intake and exhaust side, your computer can more than likely keep your a/f ratio at a proper ratio where you'll have either best performance or good performance overall.

So you're saying, in theory it "shouldn't" hinder performance, but wouldn't really increase it either right? So then it's pointless.

I'm just trying to save some money here cause if I don't need them I won't get them.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:30 AM

it wouldn't be worth the money
Old 07-19-2006, 12:13 PM

I'm getting the exhaust and springs tomorrow, I'll post pics of the car on the hoist if I can get the time.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:20 PM

Im getting the SS/SC stock exhaust and putting it on my 2.2L, do you guys think i will notice any difference at all? other than the sound....basically im getting it for one hell of a good price, looks alone makes it worth it...also getting the ss/sc springs in the deal..which is good for me!
Old 07-19-2006, 02:27 PM

you should get a noticable gain, since the piping diameter alone will be upgraded.

grab the exhaust manifold too and swap everything over, you'll be happy you did.

the only thing I didn't like about swapping manifolds was that my exhaust got louder, but it also got deeper, and the flow over the original was improved for sure, even more noticable with the nitrous.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:09 PM

will I really get THAT much from the SS manifold? it's pretty much the same isn't it?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:39 PM

it's not going to be earth shattering, but remember, with all I had done, it was the one major restriction holding me back. since I was concerned with durability I went with this one over the Pacesetter unit.

with the extra exhaust volume of the nitrous, it's noticable for sure up top in each gear. I don't have to shift so early now because the thing can actually breathe somewhat better haha

have you seen the two side by side? for the downpipe flange opening it's worth it alone if you get it cheap enough. I mic'd the downpipe opening at 2.256" ID (stock is rediculously small and a D shaped opening, not very good for flow) and the runners I forget exactly, but they were larger than the 2.2 one, actually they were marginally larger than the port job on my head, which is what I was hoping for anyway. I got mine for like 35 bucks shipped from a really cool Redline owner
Old 07-19-2006, 03:46 PM

Yeah I'm getting mine from the local cobalt build shop here in port perry called powell motorsport.

They have a Redline and SS and both are pretty much spare or scrap parts to them so I get to pick which parts from the SS or Redline I want .

Any other performance parts I should transplant while I'm at it?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:55 PM

the shifter is slightly shorter throw

and I'd like to see if we can use their individual coils on the 2.2's, would be sweet when comes time for boost and such with HP Tuners (god willing lol)

I'd say axles but I still haven't gotten a spline count of our stock ones vs. a redline/cobalt ss one

maybe for you guys check if their maf is the same unit or what. if it's not but still plugs in, it may be helpful when you get to the point of more airflow, get what I mean?
Old 07-19-2006, 04:27 PM

yeah I get you but unfortunately thats a little bit outta my price range, I can only spend a maximum of $600 on the car tomorrow.

Oh and one other thing. My car is auto . So the shifter doesn't matter for me.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:31 PM

lol ah well
Old 07-19-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by slowion2
lol ah well

I just talked with devon, he's gonna see about fitting the full exhaust system from the engine back (including manifold) I'm excited!

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS 2.0 parts to Cobalt LS 2.2