2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

converting CAI to short ram

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
converting CAI to short ram

i was getting pissed the other day when doing pulls from stop lights because my throttle response completely sucks

then i read something about short ram air intakes give better response... which makes sense

so this great idea popped into my head, why not go and cut my intake piping to make it shorter

im thinking of cutting it about an inch after the maf sensor

Old 02-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cut right after the first bend, than cut right before the second one, use a coupler to join the 2,and put your filter in the end, this way u can tilt the pipe a bit to move ur filter to a better location instead of facing down
Old 02-19-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jn2
cut right after the first bend, than cut right before the second one, use a coupler to join the 2,and put your filter in the end, this way u can tilt the pipe a bit to move ur filter to a better location instead of facing down
im gunna figure it out in a little bit when i decide to go battle the cold

do u think i would have noticable gains?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Ok so I just looked at pictures of the AEM CAI, not sure if you have any posted up here but if you do I dont see em. Anyways, I am doubting that your intake has anything to do with your throttle response. It's probably the stock tune or something else. Mine ('06 2.2l L61) has a little throttle lag as well and I have tested to see if it is the intake or the tune itself.

To see if it is your intake:
1st start the car normally in neutral and bring up the RPMs a little so its at a controlled RPM (ex: 1500 RPM) tap on the pedal and get a feel for how long it takes for your engine RPMs to change after you tap the gas.
Next take off the intake, unplug your MAF and try it again, I know its gonna run funny cause you are missing the maf but it will still run, bring the tach back up to that same point as in the 1st part and tap on it again getting a feel for the time difference.

If there is a change then its your intake, although I highly doubt it. (also possible its the missing MAF) You could also try this without the maf for both tests, just unplug it for both parts of the test. Also, I do not think you will notice any "gains" per say.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:23 PM

Ok how About this...it was brewing in my brain during my microeconomics class...how about right off of the throttle body, instead of having an elbow bending to the left...how about getting a T pipe from Home depot or offline and put a short ram on the other side... like a real short ram...3 inches of pipee and put a filter on that, you might throw a code cuz of the air thingy but that was an idea...please if anyone wants to add one this please let me know cuz i want to do it, its like having 2 intakes 1 cold air and one VERY short ram. any ideas???
Old 02-19-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by hugemurph4
Ok how About this...it was brewing in my brain during my microeconomics class...how about right off of the throttle body, instead of having an elbow bending to the left...how about getting a T pipe from Home depot or offline and put a short ram on the other side... like a real short ram...3 inches of pipee and put a filter on that, you might throw a code cuz of the air thingy but that was an idea...please if anyone wants to add one this please let me know cuz i want to do it, its like having 2 intakes 1 cold air and one VERY short ram. any ideas???
If you really want to have 2 filters, 1 for short ram, 1 for cold air, make sure your air all runs past the MAF in the same direction (IE: not from the left and right of a T just before the MAF) Pretty sure the MAF wouldnt read correctly. I don't see a whole lot of sence in doing this, but hey, its your car so do what you want. I wouldn't recommend this because one of the filters is not going to be pulling much, likely the cold air one since it is farther. But you could try it if you like. (Also on a side note from my personal opinion this sounds really rice, but hey if it works it works right?)
Old 02-19-2009, 04:02 PM

Well having two intakes can work cause it will be cooling off the short ram so it could work but without tuning it for that much air its pointless cause the car is going to regulate it so it runs the same
Old 02-19-2009, 04:02 PM

When i converted my CAI to Short Ram, the only thing i noticed was that if i was driving inthe rain i wasnt sucking water no more lol.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:03 PM

The Injen one is a two piece set-up. Sucks that yours isn't. I was SRI forever, but just went to a full CAI. The one thing with my set-up when I ran it as a SRI was that my filter rubbed on my front tower and made a squeaking noise sometimes.. lol. Regardless, it's a nice set-up.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:07 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
There is no way converting to short ram will do much for you. Save the hassle and try cleaning the Throttle body before you dick with intake.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:57 PM

i just chopped it lol

looks cool under the hood... now i just gotta clean up the cut a little but none the less it works
Old 02-19-2009, 04:58 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by nikebaseballx00
i just chopped it lol

looks cool under the hood... now i just gotta clean up the cut a little but none the less it works
Cool, happy it worked for you.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Cool, happy it worked for you.
i have yet to test it to see the throttle response but everything came apart, and went back together good
Old 02-19-2009, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by tony2toness/sc
Well having two intakes can work cause it will be cooling off the short ram so it could work but without tuning it for that much air its pointless cause the car is going to regulate it so it runs the same
Well i was looking at other stock motors with stock intakes and there is a huge bulge so air can kinda collect in that bulge so it always has a huge amount of air to be ready to be grabbed to insure your throttle response and when i say short ram im talkin like a 3 inch piece of piping to a filter just so it can grab air asap...what do you think just pondering ya know
Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 PM

Has that AEM in the CAI set-up ever thrown a CEL?

I ask this a lot, but it is to get enough data to see how many do and do not so I can make a decision of whether or not to buy one.

The CAI in my 03 Sunfire works awesome with never a CEL, but the Cobalts have been known to from what I have gathered.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mike85220
Has that AEM in the CAI set-up ever thrown a CEL?

I ask this a lot, but it is to get enough data to see how many do and do not so I can make a decision of whether or not to buy one.

The CAI in my 03 Sunfire works awesome with never a CEL, but the Cobalts have been known to from what I have gathered.
no CEL for me, before and after i cut it in half
Old 02-19-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that sri ain't gonna help much for two reasons. 1, your problem is the stock auto tune which has a built in wot delay and 2, your gonna be sucking down some serious heat in the coming months without a proper heatshield and/or ram hood.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spanky's Monkey
that sri ain't gonna help much for two reasons. 1, your problem is the stock auto tune which has a built in wot delay and 2, your gonna be sucking down some serious heat in the coming months without a proper heatshield and/or ram hood.
planned on making a lil heat shield

something along the lines of this
http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/INJ-HS5000...mpaign=froogle
Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gl with that project. either way your missing out without the tcm tune. imo that alone is worth the full tune. i'll be swapping back to sri after i get the proper hood. i ran sri the last half of las summer and it killed my gas mileage way worse while road racing then did the cai setup. i have tried both setups before and after the tune and i must say i'd almost always recommend cai unless you got one of them sexy cf hoods with the fucntional scoop.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 AM

eh i really dont care.... i will be making my own heat shield in the spring

then after that i plan on parting out and going turbo
Old 02-21-2009, 02:23 PM

Def. need a heat shield. If you don't believe me, touch your intake piping after you've driven the car for a bit. With my injen, when I run CAI the piping stays cool to the touch even after my nearly two hour commute. With the SRI setup with no heat shield, the pipe is too hot to hold onto. its enough of a difference that I'm switching to a K&N intake so that I can make use of the heat shield.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:36 PM

I love my K&N, but if you sit in traffic or at a stoplight for awhile in the summer, expect it to bog down until about 15-20mph. Great response any other time.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:06 PM

i just chopped it lol

Get any pix of it yet?
i have yet to test it to see the throttle response but everything came apart, and went back together good
Test it and let us know, my bet is its the PEdelay in the tune holding you back.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by YelloEye
Get any pix of it yet?

Test it and let us know, my bet is its the PEdelay in the tune holding you back.
throttle responce was noticably better.... pulled harder up to 110 than it did before

pics: sorry for the shitty cell phone pics

Old 02-22-2009, 04:43 PM

Looks good dude.

Remember to pull the red10 fuse once you get 100 Miles on this new intake to get that extra 15HP.

Quick Reply: converting CAI to short ram