2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Converting an LS to an SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLCobalt
my LS came with the SS wing, i ordered it that way, but did get the chance to see it with the LS stock wing and it was OK

now with my SS its bangin.

I might get my car turbo charged still debating if i wanna drop that much money into a car. just for speed.
How exactly did you "order" your LS with a SS spoiler? When ordering from the factory both spoilers are the same RPO code, which one it gets is determind by the trim level. Did you have the dealer swap it or what. I was actually thinking of doing the opposite on my SS untill I saw one in real life, it looks better in person than in photos.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:21 PM

FLC, Man turbocharge it trust me you do want to spend that much money just to make it go faster. lol, think about it, It can be the perfect project car.. you can rise above all
Oh and P.S. The wing isnt hidious, its nice (Y)
Old 08-18-2005, 10:32 PM

If you're going to turbocharge it why not just go straight for the stage 3 instead of having to do multiple installations along the way? It may cost a little extra up front but it would much much better than a stage 1 even intercooled and give you more control over your fuel mix, etc. Just be careful you don't boost too high without replacing your rods, bearings, etc. or you'll be tossing a rod across the street.

Permafried-
Old 08-18-2005, 10:50 PM

It will be like the EVO VIII conversion us Canadians have to do because the EVO's dont retail in Canada, my buddy did that to his ralliart..
Anyway sounds cool
Old 08-19-2005, 02:07 AM

my LS came with the SS wing, i ordered it that way, but did get the chance to see it with the LS stock wing and it was OK

now with my SS its bangin.

I might get my car turbo charged still debating if i wanna drop that much money into a car. just for speed.

What are you talking about this is a stupid comment, i dont want to drop that much money into a car just to make it go faster. What other point is there to drop money into a car. make it look pretty and get laughed at by all the civics kickin your ass.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey kiddo!

Look i know your probably a KID who's daddy paid for your ride and thats GREAT!

But im Married, with a kid, and im 19.

I get Fat ass tax returns and i get fat ass checks but i also have Fat ass Bills.

3000 dollars is enough to buy me, my daughter, and my wife brand new wardrobes and a vacation and some other sh*t

I would LOVE to be able to drop tons of money into my car but i have a FAMILY, and im living in the REAL WORLD.

And life as you will learn one day doesnt always permit things like dropping 3g's into a vehicle .

As for my car I want speed but I want looks too. I want a Balance. I graduate real soon too so i might upgrade to like a g35 or something once i get my job.

( almost done with my networking degree)

THanks Kiddo!
Old 08-20-2005, 04:18 PM

Look i know your probably a KID who's daddy paid for your ride and thats GREAT!

But im Married, with a kid, and im 19.

I get Fat ass tax returns and i get fat ass checks but i also have Fat ass Bills.

3000 dollars is enough to buy me, my daughter, and my wife brand new wardrobes and a vacation and some other sh*t

I would LOVE to be able to drop tons of money into my car but i have a FAMILY, and im living in the REAL WORLD.

And life as you will learn one day doesnt always permit things like dropping 3g's into a vehicle .

As for my car I want speed but I want looks too. I want a Balance. I graduate real soon too so i might upgrade to like a g35 or something once i get my job.

( almost done with my networking degree)

THanks Kiddo!

Hey kiddo if your refering to me im older then you are, not by much though, and paid for my own car buddy. I work hard for my money and attend school. My comment wasnt ment to be insulting im just saying the car strait from the lot is a pretty wicked looking car. Thats why i think it is better to upgrade speed.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Taro
Hey kiddo if your refering to me im older then you are, not by much though, and paid for my own car buddy. I work hard for my money and attend school. My comment wasnt ment to be insulting im just saying the car strait from the lot is a pretty wicked looking car. Thats why i think it is better to upgrade speed.
First off im not your buddy.

Second next time you wanna call someones comment stupid dont be surprised when they get defensive.

i dont need alot of speed any way. just a little more then what i have now is all.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:46 PM

First off im not your buddy.

Second next time you wanna call someones comment stupid dont be surprised when they get defensive.

i dont need alot of speed any way. just a little more then what i have now is all.
Depending on what you're planning on doing, you may end up spending more for the little bit of HP than you would if you were to go the route of F/I. If you were to upgrade headers, manifolds, exhaust and pop a CAI on it, you've already spent nearly as much as an entire stage 1 turbo setup would cost you (which you're looking ~60hp)...just make sure you research it heavily before making your choice .

Permafried-
Old 08-20-2005, 05:04 PM

yeah i plan to. but right now i think im gonna start with looks. I like attention and speed doesnt get attention.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:40 PM

yeah i plan to. but right now i think im gonna start with looks. I like attention and speed doesnt get attention.
No but if your car may attract the wrong kind if attention it looks fast !

Permafried-
Old 08-22-2005, 07:21 PM

looks attract attention which makes it necessary to have speed to back up the looks.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:25 PM

looks doesnt mean u need speed to back it up, wtf are u talking about?

speed is nice to have but if ur a rust bucket that has 400 horses, people arent gonna be like DAMN THAT CAR IS FAST, they are gonna be like damn thats a shitty ass rust bucket trying to stunt.

i care about looks way more then speed.

bitches dont race, bitches look.

so keeping droppin doe on that engine so you can impress DUDES
Old 08-23-2005, 06:48 PM

Your an idiot. There I said it.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:35 AM

looks doesnt mean u need speed to back it up, wtf are u talking about?
you obviously have never stepped foot in a car with any kind of tuner type or muscle car look. Ricers and mullet men will be coming out of the blue trying to race you at any given opportunity. And they do it because of the way your car looks. How would you like to stroll around town with this bad ass looking car and get walked on by someone in a bone stock Sentra SE-R?

Hell where do you think the term ricer comes from? All looks, no speed.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:17 PM

honestly, it sounds like you just want a real fast car, no matter the costs. if you want a freakin drag car, you shouldn't start with an automatic 2.2L. or any 2005 car at all. to save money, buy an older car and mod that **** up, have the LS your normal car.

you will probably end up spending like 10,000 just to make it look and drive like an SS, silly eh?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:26 AM

part numbers

Hi, I bought a 05 cobalt LS back in march because where i was they didnt have the SS available yet. Now Im looking to upgrade my LS to an SS so to speak.

My LS is Fully Loaded and as far as i can tell has EVERYTHING that the SS has except the SC and the Leather detailed Interior. The rims on mine are gonna be switched out eventually as well so im not worried about those.

So the question is How Much does the SS SC Cost and If i were to buy a SC should i get the one that comes stock on the SS or can i get more for my money with some aftermarket SC?

Thanks.
well i would say get a turbo from maximumboost.net or hahn racecraft but its your car do what u please. anyways here's the part number for te sc kit, pn 1780003. write back if u have any questions, peace.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by forcedgminduction
if u want to make an SS, turbocharge it. with an intercooled stage one turbo, you will beat an SS. dont worry about turbo lag, the ecotec makes enough torque for low end performance. numbers will be simulair to my '91 SAAB 9000 turbo. the saab is extremely heavy to 4 banger standards, and it still runs all over the cobalt SS. ive done it. but since i own both, i can tell you that a turbo cobalt will beat my saab. and trust me, beat my saab and u can beat a SRT-4.
How is he going to tune?

Nothing is really available unless he goes the standalone route.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by soulonfire04
well i would say get a turbo from maximumboost.net or hahn racecraft but its your car do what u please. anyways here's the part number for te sc kit, pn 1780003. write back if u have any questions, peace.
First of all, maximum boosts kits aren't a real kit...it's a bunch of random parts thrown together that aren't made for his car. All the parts are universal, they aren't made for his car specifically. No R & D was done, no real tuning was done. I could go on for days...to end, don't buy it.

Hahn doesn't have a turbo kit out for the 2.2L Cobalts. Once again, no tuning solution.

The s/c kit will fit but...deja vu....no tuning solution.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by brianfcp
honestly, it sounds like you just want a real fast car, no matter the costs. if you want a freakin drag car, you shouldn't start with an automatic 2.2L. or any 2005 car at all. to save money, buy an older car and mod that **** up, have the LS your normal car.

you will probably end up spending like 10,000 just to make it look and drive like an SS, silly eh?
I agree.

If you want a project car, don't do it to your daily driver. Get another car.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:29 AM

my opinion is the same as those who stick EVO body kits on cars .. if you want an evo .. buy an evo .. If you want an SS buy an SS.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:48 AM

holy old thread
Old 09-25-2006, 10:38 AM

I was just going to say that...
Old 09-25-2006, 12:00 PM

you could always take thr route of putting a cavilier s/c on.. the engines from cobalt ls 2.2 r the same ad a cavilier. the hp goes from 145 to 200. its about 3 grand at a dealer.. gm performance parts says to use this. you could then continue to add exhaust and a header and intake cam and get your hp up that way..with the s/c ur 5 hp behind a ss. i did my reserch at the dealer. there is plenty of ways to get it faster.. u can get the ported head and cams from gm .. there is alot of routes.. the ecotecs are good engines to build off of..
Old 09-25-2006, 02:18 PM

for tuning of the s/c for 2.2 u go to the dearler ship and get the comp upgraded same with the turbos. its all in the 2.2 ecotec performance build up book from gm. plus u can always get a standalone system.

Quick Reply: Converting an LS to an SS