2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

cost of supercharging a 2.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kawasakizx6rr
OMG IGNORANT YOU ARE TALKING ALL THIS **** ABOUT YOUR CAR AND U DONT EVEN KNOW YOUR COMPRESSION???? ITS "10.0" FOR YOUR ROOKIE ASS
true. just did a search. Also stock lsj compression is 9.5... so we've only got .5 compression over an lsj... Yea that's soooo much higher
Old 09-28-2007, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
true. just did a search. Also stock lsj compression is 9.5... so we've only got .5 compression over an lsj... Yea that's soooo much higher

[QUOTE=kawasakizx6rr;1501388] [/QUOTE

well still higher

Last edited by kawasakizx6rr; 09-28-2007 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-28-2007, 03:14 AM

the fact is, the lsj isn't that much different from the l61. Just a different rotating assymbly and a small difference in the cam profile. With proper tuning there should be no reason that a 2.2 couldn't at least get stock lsj hp levels with the m62.

Hell yellowshowbalt ran the assymbly on his 2.2 for month and only blew a cat. That's with no tuning at all. I'd have to believe that with a tuned maf and some tweaks to the ign tables that running it reliably on stock internals isn't that big of a task.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:29 AM

[QUOTE=Novajoe;1501390]the fact is, the lsj isn't that much different from the l61. Just a different rotating assymbly and a small difference in the cam profile.

wow "just that" are u sure??
Old 09-28-2007, 03:32 AM

[QUOTE=kawasakizx6rr;1501405]
the fact is, the lsj isn't that much different from the l61. Just a different rotating assymbly and a small difference in the cam profile.

wow "just that" are u sure??
yes I am. It's nothing that can't be cured with tuning.

all that said. There's several 2.2s running turbo set-ups right now. No problems. What makes you think it would be so much harder with a supercharger?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
alright kawasaki...im gonna tell you a little somethin about superchargin a 2.2, as it happens to be something im doing....
retarding ignition has the same effect as lowering compression...aka our 10:1 CR can run the EXACT SAME as your 9.5:1 CR if you retard ignition

as for internals, the rods will probably break around 300bhp under boost, as they broke just over 280 under nitrous, so the engine can safely support 250bhp

getting to 230whp should be easy....a 3" or 3.1" pulley, in addition to the extra .2L we have, will get us there no problem.

as for buying an ss s.c

my cobalt LS=$13k
my supercharger =$2.5k including install and tuning
thats $15.5....the day you find a NEW ss s/c for that much cash is the day i buy one...and note, there have been LS cobalts bought in the $11k range

you obviously dont know anything about the car your driving to be making these kinds of comments, as there are VERY few differences between our engines
Old 09-28-2007, 09:51 AM

what are you useing for tuning? since there is no crack for the 2.2 ecu the car will run lean and would be a waste.. Unless you get a piggy-back ECU through one of the vendors. But from a dealer they wont install a supercharger on your car unless it comes stock like that
Old 09-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and why is it ignorant?? because you are going to put so much money on a car like this when at the end you realize that you are not going to have a reliable car, is going to be a headache
and that between the price of the car and the money you spent is more than a ss/sc?? plus having the piece of mind of a warranty and a car that was made for a supercharger am i being ignorant or u just are an EXTREME idiot???
read the other posts you made that I quoted, and then you tell me. you have no idea what you're talking about.

thats a good price now have u thought about the price for a new engine+tranny after the motor blows up?
the tranny is plenty strong. and when it gets to that point, what do you do? ding ding ding! Upgrade!!

tunning???? what about internals?? do u think they would handle it for more than a month?

internals can handle more than double the whp that the 2.2 puts out. and this is again a completely ignorant statement. when you upgrade an engine enough, you will have to make internal/supporting upgrades.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
this is an EXTREMELY ignorant statement. please end yourself.

they lied. they'll tell you anything to sell you a car.
not entirely - the build book illustrates this exact path. heaton + gm supercharger reflash. done.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bc3tech
not entirely - the build book illustrates this exact path. heaton + gm supercharger reflash. done.
on a cobalt though? i don't think that's possible.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:37 AM

so the main question is without futher interuptions, can the 2.2 be supercharged?????????
Old 09-28-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ddrfreak
so the main question is without futher interuptions, can the 2.2 be supercharged?????????
YES.

It's been done before without tuning, others will pickup on the project with some sort of tuning, either SMT-6, AEM FI/C, or some sort of other custom tuning.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:50 AM

awesome
Old 09-28-2007, 05:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by c0baltic
what are you useing for tuning? since there is no crack for the 2.2 ecu the car will run lean and would be a waste.. Unless you get a piggy-back ECU through one of the vendors. But from a dealer they wont install a supercharger on your car unless it comes stock like that
AEM F/IC

and to answer the questions above...you cant reflash the cobalt with GM's tune..that tune was made for the cavi's and sunfire's ecu
Old 09-28-2007, 05:15 PM

To the OP. YES you can supercharger your 2.2. ITs the cheapest form of FI at this time. Buy the m62, intake mani, and heat exchanger off a ss/sc and your set. Buy the AEM FIC for tuning, some larger injectors and wire them into the FIC. You now have the ability to run larger injectors and have complete control over them.

kawasakizx6rr... please kill yourself now. You really dont need to be coming into a section you OBVIOUSLY know nothing about, and bashing it. please drive your inferior ss/sc off a cliff.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
To the OP. YES you can supercharger your 2.2. ITs the cheapest form of FI at this time. Buy the m62, intake mani, and heat exchanger off a ss/sc and your set. Buy the AEM FIC for tuning, some larger injectors and wire them into the FIC. You now have the ability to run larger injectors and have complete control over them.

kawasakizx6rr... please kill yourself now. You really dont need to be coming into a section you OBVIOUSLY know nothing about, and bashing it. please drive your inferior ss/sc off a cliff.
well it's a little more than that... but I do agree with kawasaki driving off a cliff... Then again I don't care what he does as long as he doesn't have kids.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:26 PM

well it's a little more than that... but I do agree with kawasaki driving off a cliff... Then again I don't care what he does as long as he doesn't have kids.
yeah i am getting sick again, i dont feel like going into details haha.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313

of course "please kill yourself now" "please drive your inferior ss/sc off a cliff.[/QUOTE]" i only imagine the type of people on this 2.2 section but of course i forgot its the "lower class" section since they can barely afford a $10,000 p.o.s. car, look man like i said before i gave my opinion and people start hating and btw i know people with your p.o.s. cars, all womans of course (some hot) so why insulting when i havent insulted anybody?? or is it because of that inferiority feeling of the 2.2 g(a)ys that instead of debating my opinion everybody starts talking **** .... i guess ill never know
Old 09-29-2007, 04:35 AM

kawasakizx6rr... I just cant wait for the day that you get ur ass handed to you by a F/I 2.2 and you cry urself to sleep.. with all the new products coming out for the 2.2 soon youll find out what the 2.2 is capable of and find well spend at least 8000 dollars less than you.. like everyone else says. go back to the 2.0 section cause you dont know what the hell uur talking about
Old 09-29-2007, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by SuicidalCobalt
kawasakizx6rr... I just cant wait for the day that you get ur ass handed to you by a F/I 2.2 and you cry urself to sleep.. with all the new products coming out for the 2.2 soon youll find out what the 2.2 is capable of and find well spend at least 8000 dollars less than you.. like everyone else says. go back to the 2.0 section cause you dont know what the hell uur talking about
( I just cant wait for the day that you get ur ass handed to you by a F/I 2.2 and you cry urself to sleep).. 1st i could give **** if somebody smoke me,the ss/sc is my gas saver btw, so unless im a stupid kid like you, ill cry if i got smoke
2nd: i dont think any gay ass " tu,tu" (2.2) can take the ss/sc anytime soon
3rd: i do have a 2.2l but its use for the company. so yeah im here because i have one.
4th: if you dont like what i say F K YOU.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:17 AM

lol kawa, you're such a whiner. Live and let live.

But, I'm all for building up my 2.2, Im wondering how much power I can manage to get out of the engine block without F/I and not pulling the entire engine apart and rebuilding it as a different engine.

It should be interesting in the next few years the kinds of applied technology that comes out for the Eco-Tec series. I personally wouldnt have minded a 2.4 myself, but a 2.2 does the job for getting me from a and b. It'd be nice if it got me there in 9 seconds though. LOL.

but good on all you guys F/I'ing your 2.2's, It'll be good once we get some more people out there paving the way for newbies like myself, so I wont be so lost when my engine warranty expires and I start pulling it apart.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:34 AM

wow u all !!!! lets try to get back on the subject. my car runs great still even tho my trans is busted i dont have the time nor money right know to fix it. and it was six months and still counting with 18000 miles of being SC at 14psi the 2.2 can take it fine. no probs.

i payed 11,500 out the door and SC for 1800 total with stage 2 pully and injectors and a 1500 RK sport body kit with hood and scion rear wing 14,800 and my car is cheaper on insurance too. and even with the 3 tranys i have had to put in there at 650 a pop. my car is still cheaper 16,750. and i will rape u i u run me. ive done it numerious times.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:18 AM

GM can tune the Cobalts if they want...... The million dollar question is, will they!? No because they want you to go buy an overpriced SS/sc or NA intead of making more power for less money aftermarket.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by gashousecobalt
why waste money on that when u can get a srt-8 charger, i got a cobalt cuz of financial situations and i needed to build my credit but if i had access to any car i want i would have gotten a srt-8 or a zo6 corvette
why spend all the cash on a srt-8 and pay all your money in gas for sure. Why not just boost the 2.2 which is way cheaper in the long run. I paid 12,900 for my 2007 cobalt lt and i can buy the turbo kit for 3k which is still way cheaper than a 25k srt-8. Im glad i went cheaper as my car will be paid off by january 08. I only owe 4k on it since i have been making triple payments, and it will be nice having a brand new car and no car payment.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:07 PM

of course "please kill yourself now" "please drive your inferior ss/sc off a cliff.
" i only imagine the type of people on this 2.2 section but of course i forgot its the "lower class" section since they can barely afford a $10,000 p.o.s. car, look man like i said before i gave my opinion and people start hating and btw i know people with your p.o.s. cars, all womans of course (some hot) so why insulting when i havent insulted anybody?? or is it because of that inferiority feeling of the 2.2 g(a)ys that instead of debating my opinion everybody starts talking **** .... i guess ill never know[/QUOTE]

Your opinion is that its not possible nor worth it, which is completely wrong. I dont like when people come in here filling peoples heads with BS because they have no idea what they are talking about. Im not here to start **** with anyone on the forums, im a very friendly and helpful person. So please just make sure your comments are rational and useful.

Quick Reply: cost of supercharging a 2.2