2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

cost of supercharging a 2.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your opinion is that its not possible nor worth it, which is completely wrong. I dont like when people come in here filling peoples heads with BS because they have no idea what they are talking about. Im not here to start **** with anyone on the forums, im a very friendly and helpful person. So please just make sure your comments are rational and useful.
agreed...its just dumb that yor saying our cars are girly cars or cheap cars when you have the EXACT same thing....theres a slightly different body, and a supercharger...those two things dont make a girls car a guys car....so your either dissing your own taste in cars, or your wrong
Old 09-29-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would think the SS/SC guys would want to help the 2.2Ls out because they are the slowest Cobalt and what usually give the cobalt a bad rep. I don't think my LT is slow, but it's not as fast as an SS.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:15 PM

Yeah, lets just be nice to each other, its like some guy who owns a bugatti veyron coming into the 2.0l section and start saying.

"HAHAHA, You girl men drive little girl cars, My car goes 407 Km/h, HOHOHOHO. It breathes more oxygen in 1 minute than all four of you will breathe in your entire life times!. hohohohoho."

Who cares what you drive, the whole point of these forums is because we are all driving Cobalts or 2.*l eco-tecs and we are trying to help each other out by sharing our knowledge of tuning and giving newbs like myself a heads up on what to do and what not to do.

Seriously, If i could afford a nice car, i'd still have bought a cobalt, because its all I need, its mine, I own it and Im proud to own a car, not everyone makes the big bucks. Hell, some of us still live with our parents(unless im the only one,lol, im only 22.)

Lets get back to the issue at hand, Is it possible to Supercharge the 2.2?

I heard that GM dealerships WOULD put a supercharger onto your 2.2 and then flash it with the 2.0l ECU fuel injection timings. Cost around 3500 cdn, but thats not too terrible.

The question at hand is this true or not? Im sure HPTuners.com will eventually make compatibility with the 2005+ Cobalt ECU's , but in the mean time I think its like the other guys have been saying, you'd have to use a piggy-back system. I'd personally think it'd be nicer to use something along the lines of HPTuners, because then you know the data link will be consistent.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by danielje
Yeah, lets just be nice to each other, its like some guy who owns a bugatti veyron coming into the 2.0l section and start saying.

"HAHAHA, You girl men drive little girl cars, My car goes 407 Km/h, HOHOHOHO. It breathes more oxygen in 1 minute than all four of you will breathe in your entire life times!. hohohohoho."

Who cares what you drive, the whole point of these forums is because we are all driving Cobalts or 2.*l eco-tecs and we are trying to help each other out by sharing our knowledge of tuning and giving newbs like myself a heads up on what to do and what not to do.

Seriously, If i could afford a nice car, i'd still have bought a cobalt, because its all I need, its mine, I own it and Im proud to own a car, not everyone makes the big bucks. Hell, some of us still live with our parents(unless im the only one,lol, im only 22.)

Lets get back to the issue at hand, Is it possible to Supercharge the 2.2?

I heard that GM dealerships WOULD put a supercharger onto your 2.2 and then flash it with the 2.0l ECU fuel injection timings. Cost around 3500 cdn, but thats not too terrible.

The question at hand is this true or not? Im sure HPTuners.com will eventually make compatibility with the 2005+ Cobalt ECU's , but in the mean time I think its like the other guys have been saying, you'd have to use a piggy-back system. I'd personally think it'd be nicer to use something along the lines of HPTuners, because then you know the data link will be consistent.
No man, they cannot do that. The reflash is made for the cavi/sunfire. Will not work with 05-06 or 07 L61's. The only thing you have right now is either going with SCT's canned tune or piggyback. I know a company who is developing a nice way to tune for turbo/centri superchargers but it will not work with the M62 roots or twinscrew type blowers because of the way the SC mounts to the intake manifold.

But yes you can supercharger the 2.2 fairly easily. If it made enough power for me i would have gone that route, but its not gonna make 400whp... lol.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:50 AM

Some of us are stuck in a lease... DOH! I can totally afford a 2.0 now.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by yellowshowbalt
wow u all !!!! lets try to get back on the subject. my car runs great still even tho my trans is busted i dont have the time nor money right know to fix it. and it was six months and still counting with 18000 miles of being SC at 14psi the 2.2 can take it fine. no probs.

i payed 11,500 out the door and SC for 1800 total with stage 2 pully and injectors and a 1500 RK sport body kit with hood and scion rear wing 14,800 and my car is cheaper on insurance too. and even with the 3 tranys i have had to put in there at 650 a pop. my car is still cheaper 16,750. and i will rape u i u run me. ive done it numerious times.

yup thats why i was trying to sell someone. Way cheaper to buy a 2.2 and then do what you want to it. I knwo people with a SS that have upgraded to stage 2, lowered there car, new rims, new exhaust, guages, so here they paid alot and there still pumping money in to it so there is people with a supercharged that have between 25k-30k with the cost of car + mods.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:02 PM

Hell I bought my 2.2 for 13,5. I could have bought a 350z, an EVO, hell even a z06 if i wanted. I have two cars with payments totalling 600$/month, if i got rid of my winter SUV (that I gave to my girlfriend to drive-still paying for it though, lazy poor college bitches!! lol) I could buy an EVO. But instead of being an idiot and wasting all of my money on a car that will surely cost 6000$/year for insurance, I bought a "dailey-driver project car" to get to learn alittle more and get some hands on experiance, and possibly but a car thats faster when im about 25 and I dont have to pay up the ass. My LT will be faster than an SS/SC by quite a bit when im done with it. Only 1 thing I can see wrong with the lt is the fact that its front wheel drive, and even SS/SCs are front wheel. I hate haters. lol
Old 10-01-2007, 12:11 AM

Eh. I don't buy new cars. I bought my cobalt wrecked for 3k. Once I can find a good used solstice gxp I'm gonna try and get one of those.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
Eh. I don't buy new cars. I bought my cobalt wrecked for 3k. Once I can find a good used solstice gxp I'm gonna try and get one of those.
sky reline is the way to go man...i just dont like the solstice's rounded front end....otherwise, theyre the same in my book
Old 10-01-2007, 05:51 AM

Yeah the sky looks alot better in my opinion. very nice car though, im not a big fan of most of the saturns styling, but they hit the sky nail right on the head
Old 10-01-2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Smitty1017
Yeah the sky looks alot better in my opinion. very nice car though, im not a big fan of most of the saturns styling, but they hit the sky nail right on the head
mmmmm sky redline... My next car lol.

Nova, if you EVER find a wrecked one, let me know man!
Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 PM

yea man...you will do fine if you supercharge a 2.2 it has been done before and i think i have seen it on youtube or streetfire...one of the places like that and the internals will hold up fine with it...the cobalt that they use at the drag tracks actually use the 2.2 blocks
Old 10-01-2007, 02:30 PM

Yes, but highly modified ones at that. Not to mention, a sand casted head which you can't just up and buy ...but have to get through GM Racing, and that my friend, is not cheap. (voice of experience)
Old 10-01-2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
mmmmm sky redline... My next car lol.

Nova, if you EVER find a wrecked one, let me know man!
yea I got lucky with my cobalt. A washboy at a dealership that was close to me in phoenix wrecked it up. I had a friend that worked there that told me about it and I went up there and bought it from them as it was for 3k with 90miles on it.

I had to replace the lower control arm, the rack and pinion, the bcm, the radiator, did some fabricating on the rear subframe as it was bent a little bit, replaced both the front rims, and got it a new fender, front bumper cover, and driver side mirror.

personally I like the solstice better, but I'd take a sky too. With a car like that I'd rather buy one used than wrecked. I figure if I wait a few years and buy one used then there'll be plenty of aftermarket to mess with then. A big turbo solstice would be the ****.

Originally Posted by RollermanDan
Yes, but highly modified ones at that. Not to mention, a sand casted head which you can't just up and buy ...but have to get through GM Racing, and that my friend, is not cheap. (voice of experience)
ummm, aren't the lsj heads sand casted? But I agree with you. You can't really compare any stock motor to the ones they use in the big budget drag cars. Those motors get so worked over they aren't even close to what our ecotecs are anymore. Billet everything, diff bore, diff stroke, big valves, cams, dry sump oil... the only thing that keeps it an ecotec is the name on the valvecover

Last edited by Novajoe; 10-01-2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-01-2007, 09:43 PM

On page 22 of the 600+hp GM Build Book, it says under the parts: Race—Prepped SAAB 2.0L Cylinder Head XGH614.

It's one that's already prepped to assemble.

Yes, I fully agreed those things get worked over. My engine was just at Roush Industries getting the full run down.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by RollermanDan
On page 22 of the 600+hp GM Build Book, it says under the parts: Race—Prepped SAAB 2.0L Cylinder Head XGH614.

It's one that's already prepped to assemble.

Yes, I fully agreed those things get worked over. My engine was just at Roush Industries getting the full run down.
isn't the saab 2.0 head more or less the same as the lsj 2.0 head?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kawasakizx6rr
tunning???? what about internals?? do u think they would handle it for more than a month?
Sorry but you're a ignorant ****.

You do realize that the L61 has been out in AMERICA since 2001-2002, right? Other platforms have done plenty of work on them. I can name a few people off the top of my head while on a stock motor they ran 12s to 13s for a long period of time. Hell, one guy from the JBO still holds the forum record of very high 11s on a completely stock engine and he did that for a good while.

Sorry to call you a **** but you're preaching about how it's this and that and it's evident you don't know your history about the L61s.

Originally Posted by kawasakizx6rr

do you know about compression ratio?? and BOOSSSSSST how much do you think youre going to boost after dropping the m62 on your 2.2l with wayyy more compression ratio than the 2.0sc, and weaker internals??? and you THINK u can even change the pulleys and your car just gain 100+hp more ? just like magic pls explain me how??
Funny cause GM sells a kit for the L61s and warrantys it...

It's 10.0:1 compression and from your ignorant statments you're another guy who thinks static compression ratios decide the path of a vehicles setup, when in reality it doesn't.

Navajoe is correct. The higher static compression allows for him to run LESS boost and make the same amount of power, so this means staying within the M62s efficiency range as well.

I have a friend who had a Cavalier w/a M62 3.5" pulley and produced 230 WHP. Ran just fine. And yes, that's about 100 more WHP than what they produce in stock form.

But yeah, must be magic, huh?

Last edited by NJHK; 10-02-2007 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-02-2007, 03:02 PM

couple days too late, but good job adam
Old 10-02-2007, 04:39 PM

I dont care if it was a year late, he needed to be called a ****.

All I know is when my LT is where I want it to be im gonna be alot happier than I would be if I had just bought an SS/SC, with the same price investment as one in the end.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Smitty1017
I dont care if it was a year late, he needed to be called a ****.

All I know is when my LT is where I want it to be im gonna be alot happier than I would be if I had just bought an SS/SC, with the same price investment as one in the end.
ROFLDANGLE!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
the irony is that adam has never owned a "crappy cobalt", and actually currently drives a mitsu eclipse, which is a much nicer car "than your crappy ss s/c"

as for the last sentence...i would say your 12, but your driving, so i guess i have to put it at 16.

btw nova, hows your project comin? i just bought my FIC today
it's coming along ok. I'm putting the cooling system togeather right now. Going to use 2 smaller heat exhchangers in the wheel wells to draw air from the fog light vents. Just need an intercooler pump really and waiting on the heat exhangers. Ordered the exhaust piping. That'll be here on thurs so I'll get that all bent up and fitted.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the megasquirt as far as tuning goes. Right now I'm still looking into it. Call me crazy but I'd just rather have more control than what the aem offers. If it comes down to it then I might go that route, but I would rather see if I can get a megasquirt to work.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:50 PM

nice. interesting idea with the heat exchangers, but it sounds like it would work great. good luck to your tuning, and its always good to just do what your comfortable with. Im not a very good tuner, so im going with just enough to get the job done
Old 10-02-2007, 10:51 PM

nice. interesting idea with the heat exchangers, but it sounds like it would work great. good luck to your tuning, and its always good to just do what your comfortable with. Im not a very good tuner, so im going with just enough to get the job done
Old 10-03-2007, 12:25 AM

yea I'm sure the aem won't have any problem getting the job done. I just REALLY want to get rid of the stock rev limiter so I can adjust for bigger and better cams and more advanced modifications down the road. Plus I like how the magatune software is set up.

If I could do trans tuning with it... it would be my future wife
Old 10-03-2007, 12:35 AM

i didnt read thru the entire post but the comments on the limits of the 2.2 are just flat out dumb. 1st of all gm has a s/c kit for the l61 cavaliers some of whom have his 250hp on stock internals, in addition to that there are a number of turbo l61 cavs who have more power than even that. of course im not saying that the l61 is as stout as the lsj but dont underestimate it thats all

Quick Reply: cost of supercharging a 2.2