2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

This Could Start A War Turbo Or Superchaged

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who CARES waht is FASTER!

JUST BECAUSE A CAR IS FASTER, MAKES IT BETTER? no hell no

if that was the case, then GM shoulda went Turbo RIGHT away
Granted im going Turbo on my car, but hell a Supercharger can push alot faster than mine. Once you put a turbo on...the only thing you can do is go bigger turbo or bigger exhaust really...(internally wastegated)
with a supercharger, its a swap pulley, belts, injectors and tune and you will be quicker

idk..the supercharger has more potential for cheaper i think..
Old 03-03-2009, 05:32 PM

Turbo!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Preston
who CARES waht is FASTER!

JUST BECAUSE A CAR IS FASTER, MAKES IT BETTER? no hell no

Granted im going Turbo on my car, but hell a Supercharger can push alot faster than mine. Once you put a turbo on...the only thing you can do is go bigger turbo or bigger exhaust really...(internally wastegated)
with a supercharger, its a swap pulley, belts, injectors and tune and you will be quicker

your are clearly confused

Originally Posted by daythecountrydied21
Yes but you fail to see that it's limited to 375hp. If/when I decide to go turbo on this I'll be looking for something 4-500, I'll be fine with brake boosting, but not gonna sit there and say I have no lag, that's just retarded.
I will probably want to see how far the car can go with a TVS however, all the 1/4 times out on that now are pretty lame considering the power output of it. I think that matched with ported head and other supports will be pretty damn impressive and competable with major turbo'd cars also.
Just my .2, there's no right or wrong, it's preference and goals is all.
you won't ever push 375hp with a TVS. Why waste the money.

Last edited by LLAMA; 03-03-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-03-2009, 06:34 PM

that happens hahaha
im tired
and pissed bout my car not being done
Old 03-03-2009, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by LLAMA

thats why people are putting out 350 at the wheels w/o race gas on stock engine right?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you contradict yourself here... first your saying the other guy is confused, then you post information that clearly states you're the one whos confused
Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nato09
turbo is not better than supercharged? wrong. why is it then that a stock SS/TC will walk a stock SS/SC?
Because an LNF is direct injected and uses a max of 20psi boost while an LSJ is port injected and uses a max of 12psi.....that seems easy to figure out.

Originally Posted by Preston

Gm basically didnt go turbo because they thought we wouldnt understand.....Everybody lovede the 3800SC so they figured an SC ECO would be loved too, and it was....if they woulds just left the LK9 alone when they stole it from Saab the Balt would been turbo from day one. Oh well.

An M62 will make all the power a stock L61 can handle, besides nitrous nothing is cheaper or easier. /thread for the 17th time
Old 03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nato09
turbo is not better than supercharged? wrong. why is it then that a stock SS/TC will walk a stock SS/SC?
wow i hope you're really not that dumb. i'll not go there.

375 will be a piece of cake when I have a few grand to throw around, including the cost of a tvs. look at area, 3XX hp and nothing but springs and something else, nothing close to what I'm fathoming.
think of it as, ralli's build, but with a TVS. sounds about right.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Supercharging is easier and cheaper, but turbo'ing will yield better end results and has more potential overall.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteSSBalt
Supercharging is easier and cheaper, but turbo'ing will yield better end results and has more potential overall.
there's only so much you can do traction-wise though, that is the ultimate limiting factor.
sure i could slap a turbo on and boost it to 500 hp but if you're blowing your wheels out in 3rd maybe even 4th what's the point.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Not a Sebring

there's only so much you can do traction-wise though, that is the ultimate limiting factor.
sure i could slap a turbo on and boost it to 500 hp but if you're blowing your wheels out in 3rd maybe even 4th what's the point.
True, but traction asides, turbocharging just has more potential. If you WANT more power, simply upgrade the turbo and crank up the boost, and make sure the clutch, cooling system and motor is ready for the change. Also, if this wasn't just a Cobalt specific topic, we could go into EVOs/STIs.....and how they are AWD, so regardless of how much power your making (using a turbocharged setup), its still all useable power.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:46 PM

Hmm, no options for my car? I make my own options thanks.
And looks like you're blowing smoke off about an evo seeing as how you mention buschur, don't see any evo's in your gallery, just one in your sig, hmm.
And you think bragging about paying more in aftermarket parts for your car than I spent on mine stock is a good thing? . You crack me up.
With 5k MAX put into my car I'd walk or hang close to most evos thanks, so that'd be a total of less than 17k including my car cost, funny isn't it, looks like you wasted a good bit.

That said, STI > EVO anyways . Have a nice time I'm not gonna argue with a fanboy.

Key words there, you will never eliminate it with a turbo unless you're running a puny pos.

u have to be the biggest toolshed i know. most EVOs you could hang with are evos that have minor mods, and i'm a joke for spending that much money on my car? that 5k you would spend on your car is all the money you have... spend it wisely. you drive an IRL... you have no say in whats better over an STI or EVO... who the fukk cares? as it stands this is a COBALT site so Cobalt > IRL there tupperware. seems like you need to take ur toolshed noobness somewhere else.

wow i hope you're really not that dumb. i'll not go there.

375 will be a piece of cake when I have a few grand to throw around, including the cost of a tvs. look at area, 3XX hp and nothing but springs and something else, nothing close to what I'm fathoming.
think of it as, ralli's build, but with a TVS. sounds about right.
haha better start saving up. even those POS turbos you talk about seem to be out of ur spending limits.

Last edited by Mnatvyc1223; 03-04-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Not a Sebring

Hmm, no options for my car? I make my own options thanks.
And looks like you're blowing smoke off about an evo seeing as how you mention buschur, don't see any evo's in your gallery, just one in your sig, hmm.
And you think bragging about paying more in aftermarket parts for your car than I spent on mine stock is a good thing? . You crack me up.
With 5k MAX put into my car I'd walk or hang close to most evos thanks, so that'd be a total of less than 17k including my car cost, funny isn't it, looks like you wasted a good bit.

That said, STI > EVO anyways . Have a nice time I'm not gonna argue with a fanboy.

Key words there, you will never eliminate it with a turbo unless you're running a puny pos.
Which is the EVO's have won the EVO vs. STI shootout.......how many years in a row now? Oh yeah, since the very FIRST EVO vs. STI shootout. (Sport Compact Car magazine)
Old 03-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Yes but you fail to see that it's limited to 375hp. If/when I decide to go turbo on this I'll be looking for something 4-500, I'll be fine with brake boosting, but not gonna sit there and say I have no lag, that's just retarded.
I will probably want to see how far the car can go with a TVS however, all the 1/4 times out on that now are pretty lame considering the power output of it. I think that matched with ported head and other supports will be pretty damn impressive and competable with major turbo'd cars also.
Just my .2, there's no right or wrong, it's preference and goals is all.
come talk to me when u even start to understand the limits of a stand alone ECU, so many options! not like a stock PCM tuned by HPtuners. you and your arguments r fail

Which is the EVO's have won the EVO vs. STI shootout.......how many years in a row now? Oh yeah, since the very FIRST EVO vs. STI shootout. (Sport Compact Car magazine)
shouldnt even waste our time dude, this guy is being the opposition just for the sake of an argument.

Last edited by Mnatvyc1223; 03-04-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Banned

I'm not talking power alone, I'm talking build quality.
Talk to anyone who has owned both evo and sti, they will tell you sti is >.
I love these s/c members turned evo and sti members who think they know all and are the **** of the earth.
Always good for some laughs.
That is all, quit whoring the mans thread.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Not a Sebring

I mean don't get me wrong, I love STI's. They're great cars with gobs of potential. My roomate/best friend has an '06 STI with an Injen CAI, full AP turboback, Cobb Tuning springs, 18"x8.5" AP wheels w/ Falken rubber, AP short shifter, etc etc.....its badass. Fast, good handling, good looking.....but I still think EVO's are the superior car.

Heres a good example. Looks stock.....has a FULL interior INCLUDING the backseat AND a flipout screen TV headunit even.......and runs 9's. No full street trim, non-gutted STI can do this right now.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/B...-on_183131.htm
Old 03-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

We could sit here and argue oh this is faster that is faster, that's pointless, there's always going to be someone whos faster than the other guy.
They're both good cars no doubt about it, and EVO's have def pushed the envelope farther than STI's, but no doubt could an STI acheive what the EVO's can with proper mods and time, STI aesthetically is more sound though.
I love both of them, but if it came down to it my money would be paying for the STI.
I don't see the point of sitting here saying oh I have an evo you have a saturn your gay.
I'm quite content with the build of my car and how quick it is for a 9k car, you can't go wrong.
That's what these cars are, cheap speed is all it comes down to, not the fastest, driveline is on the wrong end, but a solid platform nonetheless.
That said, I'd like to see how an SS/TC would fair against an STI or EVO with an AWD driveline...I think that'd be the ultimite balt.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:09 PM

I'm not talking power alone, I'm talking build quality.
Talk to anyone who has owned both evo and sti, they will tell you sti is >.
I love these s/c members turned evo and sti members who think they know all and are the **** of the earth.
Always good for some laughs.
That is all, quit whoring the mans thread.
i dont think i am anything noob, but i dont run around shooting off at them mouth telling people what they know. it's just making you look very ignorant. u have a domestic car with 2 count 'em 2 mods, who really gives a **** what you have to say? come up with some very good info when you REALLY start modding your car and post it, until then STFU.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:14 PM

I mean don't get me wrong, I love STI's. They're great cars with gobs of potential. My roomate/best friend has an '06 STI with an Injen CAI, full AP turboback, Cobb Tuning springs, 18"x8.5" AP wheels w/ Falken rubber, AP short shifter, etc etc.....its badass. Fast, good handling, good looking.....but I still think EVO's are the superior car.

Heres a good example. Looks stock.....has a FULL interior INCLUDING the backseat AND a flipout screen TV headunit even.......and runs 9's. No full street trim, non-gutted STI can do this right now.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/B...-on_183131.htm
What a nasty evo! I think any car can be fast with a little bit of money, but AWD certainly helps.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sentry
What a nasty evo! I think any car can be fast with a little bit of money, but AWD certainly helps.
was waiting for it to hit 8.9 something lol.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:32 PM

Are you serious?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Edubs
Are you serious?
serious about what?
the ion redline that converted to turbo blew tires in 3rd i know for sure...not even 400hp
Old 03-04-2009, 03:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Edubs
Are you serious?
im confused why you think he's kidding. while more horsepower is always more fun, it really wont hit the tires in most gears on an SS with street tires. I watched mkulrey break the tires lose in 3rd at 60mph getting on the freeway in front of me...
Old 03-04-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
As far as I know the TVS series blowers actually get realllllllly close to turbo efficiency.....
Old 03-04-2009, 04:08 PM

I'm thinking he was laughing at the thought of slapping on a turbo and making 500hp right off the bat without any other modifications. On the l61, we all know that is not going to happen without at least a fully forged engine and some major cash.

Quick Reply: This Could Start A War Turbo Or Superchaged