2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

This Could Start A War Turbo Or Superchaged

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sentry
I'm thinking he was laughing at the thought of slapping on a turbo and making 500hp right off the bat without any other modifications. On the l61, we all know that is not going to happen without at least a fully forged engine and some major cash.
exactly im going to be happy if i make 400whp and i almost have 8k into it.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
you contradict yourself here... first your saying the other guy is confused, then you post information that clearly states you're the one whos confused
350 maybe, but no one has hit the 375 mark with a supercharger. Nor will they. But please, prove me wrong.

Originally Posted by daythecountrydied21
wow i hope you're really not that dumb. i'll not go there.

375 will be a piece of cake when I have a few grand to throw around, including the cost of a tvs. look at area, 3XX hp and nothing but springs and something else, nothing close to what I'm fathoming.
think of it as, ralli's build, but with a TVS. sounds about right.
area said he has 340 anyway, A TVS is $2250 + exhaust + injectors + tuning. For all the money you spend on that you could easily build your own turbo kit.

Last edited by LLAMA; 03-04-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LLAMA
350 maybe, but no one has hit the 375 mark with a supercharger. Nor will they. But please, prove me wrong.
area is at 350 on a conservative winter tune. He has a stock head as well. Take his setup, port the head, and drop pulley sizes a bit, and bam..you're there
Old 03-04-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
As far as I know the TVS series blowers actually get realllllllly close to turbo efficiency.....
it's very close, i know it outflows a few turbos on the market. it's just too bad more people cant extract the HP numbers Harrop was projecting for it. pretty disappointing.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mnatvyc1223
it's very close, i know it outflows a few turbos on the market. it's just too bad more people cant extract the HP numbers Harrop was projecting for it. pretty disappointing.
I'm sure we will start to be seeing that trend diminish soon lol.

And fyi for all, there is a person who is very knowledgable, that ran a 2.5 pulley on his car for how long, and posted his dyno sheets up on RLF. you wanna know what most people thought the sheet was of? a turbo'd lsj. just some food for thought.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:36 AM

I'm sure we will start to be seeing that trend diminish soon lol.

And fyi for all, there is a person who is very knowledgable, that ran a 2.5 pulley on his car for how long, and posted his dyno sheets up on RLF. you wanna know what most people thought the sheet was of? a turbo'd lsj. just some food for thought.
they should be able to tell by the curve tho... a roots blower and a 350whp turbo should have completely different looking low end numbers
Old 03-05-2009, 06:09 AM
Banned

they should be able to tell by the curve tho... a roots blower and a 350whp turbo should have completely different looking low end numbers
My bad it wasn't a dyno sheet but you get the jist.

http://www.ionforums.com/forums/tuni...bers-like.html
Old 03-05-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by roadrage06
You've obviously never heard the saying.........and if you plan on being into modding cars long I suggest you memorize it:

----------------
A) Cheap
B) Reliable
C) Fast

Choose 2
----------------

Happy Modding.
First thing that came to mind after I read the OP.

Either one has it's ups and downs.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mnatvyc1223
Yup the TVS is really efficient, its something like within 5% of most turbos. Thats why its on the LS9/LSA
Old 03-05-2009, 01:23 PM

My bad it wasn't a dyno sheet but you get the jist.

http://www.ionforums.com/forums/tuni...bers-like.html
ahh, ok. that makes more sense. reading through the "nice turbo swap" responses made me laugh too actually
Old 03-05-2009, 05:51 PM

area is at 350 on a conservative winter tune. He has a stock head as well. Take his setup, port the head, and drop pulley sizes a bit, and bam..you're there
All that money man. Thats my point. I bought all the parts for my turbo kit for alot less then just a Tvs. I still have a 100% stock motor, but yet i make more power. After he does all the stuff you just mentioned, he might hit that number. All i have to do is turn up the boost and add some timing. And I could have sworn he said 340.
so if you know what your doing, or hang out with people who know then:
TURBO= CHEAPER
TURBO= RELIABLE
TURBO= MORE POWER
Old 03-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Banned

All that money man. Thats my point. I bought all the parts for my turbo kit for alot less then just a Tvs. I still have a 100% stock motor, but yet i make more power. After he does all the stuff you just mentioned, he might hit that number. All i have to do is turn up the boost and add some timing. And I could have sworn he said 340.
TURBO= CHEAPER
TURBO= RELIABLE
TURBO= MORE POWER
Turbo is easier than a TVS if you know what you're pieceing together and want to go cheap on an off brand turbo.
TVS is more of a challange though, which is the draw for me.
I'd love a turbo motor don't get me wrong, but a TVS would be more rewarding when I hit my goal.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:04 PM

Turbo is easier than a TVS if you know what you're pieceing together and want to go cheap on an off brand turbo.
TVS is more of a challange though, which is the draw for me.
I'd love a turbo motor don't get me wrong, but a TVS would be more rewarding when I hit my goal.
cheapo turbo huh? I have a GT30. Found it used and my brother rebuilt it before i even got it.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Banned

cheapo turbo huh? I have a GT30. Found it used and my brother rebuilt it before i even got it.
I'm talking about buying new, not finding little steals like that, although i must say, picked up some brand new 60#'ers for an absolute steal and it is damn nice
Old 03-05-2009, 07:48 PM

I'm talking about buying new, not finding little steals like that, although i must say, picked up some brand new 60#'ers for an absolute steal and it is damn nice
now your arguing just to argue. like i said before, if you know what your doing or know people who do...
Old 03-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned

now your arguing just to argue. like i said before, if you know what your doing or know people who do...
Who was arguing? I was saying, yes you can buy used name brands, possibly rebuild.. wasn't arguing anything lol. it would actually be cheaper and easier on your basic enthusiast to buy a hybrid turbo that does the same thing.
I could piece together a basic "hold me over" kit for probably 1-2k, not including other things that may need to be addressed (catback, dp, clutch, etc). The hardest part would be getting I/C piping to fit properly. Def not hard if you know what you're doing, totally agreed.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:14 PM

GT2871 = $1300
Quality turbo manifold = $300+
Oil hoses
Coolant hoses(if water cooled)
intercooler
intercooler pipes and fabrication
oil drain drilling
etc.

Numerous custom parts and either extensive fabrication skills or considerable cash outlay required for "ready-made" system, permanent mods required to engine.

M62=$1100
Manifold $400
bolts, brackets pulleys, etc. $225
HE= $275
intercooler pump and wiring.

No custom parts required, all parts needed readily available and almost always direct bolt-in, no fabrication skills or expensive "ready-made" kits required. no irreversible mods required.

When youre talking new parts the turbo kit CAN be cheaper IF you are a skilled fabricator(or are okay with whatever crap you make yourself, LOL) but the SC is still easier to install, and all the parts are available from numerous sources, and any part from store X will work with the parts you get from store Y, the same cant be said for turbo. Since so few people go new the price drops considerably, used complete SC kits have been trading hands at around $800, the same cant be said for turbo kits, factor in ease of install and the SC is the clear winner by a long shot for an otherwise stock L61, which is what the thread was about.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

GT2871 = $1300
Quality turbo manifold = $300+
Oil hoses
Coolant hoses(if water cooled)
intercooler
intercooler pipes and fabrication
oil drain drilling
etc.

Numerous custom parts and either extensive fabrication skills or considerable cash outlay required for "ready-made" system, permanent mods required to engine.

M62=$1100
Manifold $400
bolts, brackets pulleys, etc. $225
HE= $275
intercooler pump and wiring.

No custom parts required, all parts needed readily available and almost always direct bolt-in, no fabrication skills or expensive "ready-made" kits required. no irreversible mods required.

When youre talking new parts the turbo kit CAN be cheaper IF you are a skilled fabricator(or are okay with whatever crap you make yourself, LOL) but the SC is still easier to install, and all the parts are available from numerous sources, and any part from store X will work with the parts you get from store Y, the same cant be said for turbo. Since so few people go new the price drops considerably, used complete SC kits have been trading hands at around $800, the same cant be said for turbo kits, factor in ease of install and the SC is the clear winner by a long shot for an otherwise stock L61, which is what the thread was about.

Now taht I think about it, tehre was a s/c setup on ebay for 200 some, s/c manifold pulley system fuel rail injectors, virtually everything to plug and play, i forgot about this thread or i woulda sent the op a link. cheap as hell considering the m62 alone could go for that.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 PM

Yup, I sold just an M62 for over $600 a while back.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:52 PM

Yup, I sold just an M62 for over $600 a while back.
you got a hell of a deal then.. ive seen em sell on here for $250. $300-$500 is the typical range i see for M62's these days

TURBO= CHEAPER
TURBO= RELIABLE
TURBO= MORE POWER
you said no one will hit the 375whp mark... all i did was prove to you it is easily possible, and then some. I didnt say it would be cheaper....
as for areas #s, i thought he said 348whp, so i rounded up

Last edited by HunterKiller89; 03-05-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-05-2009, 10:06 PM

you got a hell of a deal then.. ive seen em sell on here for $250. $300-$500 is the typical range i see for M62's these days

Yeah, like I said it was a while ago, LOL. plus it was almost new...it had like 17 miles on it
Old 03-05-2009, 10:38 PM

Trust me, turbo comes with a lot of headache and cash spent compared to a supercharger. Everything on a supercharged build literally bolts up and ready to go. No impossible angles, no custom downpipe to make, no custom intake manifolds, no running pipes or worrying about couplers coming off, or losing boost pressure (normally). On a setup like mine, you'd be retarded if you didn't just build the motor and run big boost after all that cash and time spent.

But if you absolutely must have that wheeeeeeeeeee pshhhht sound, then go ahead.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by PsshPlzz
turbo.....nuff said
Got any videos? I'd really like to see your car.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:07 AM

you said no one will hit the 375whp mark... all i did was prove to you it is easily possible, and then some. I didnt say it would be cheaper....
as for areas #s, i thought he said 348whp, so i rounded up
So one person put down 348hp. Thats not 375hp. but please prove me wrong... without spray.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=COB
Old 03-06-2009, 08:20 AM

This thread really is funny to me. People who never built a turbo or supercharged car other then a slow balt talking about turbo lag and superchargers are better. Talking about turbo lag is silly. For this guy asking a question about supercharged or turbo the answer is quite easy. Turbocharged would be much better. All he has to do it match a turbo to his stock motor and run about 8-10psi. A turbo will be much more efficient at lower psi then a supercharger. He will need bigger injectors, front mount intercooler, turbocharger, piping, and a tune. Sounds pretty simple to me, and just as cheap as a supercharged kit. Keep in mind, this is going to be a stock motor. None forged internals so nitrous and high boost is out of the question. We all know a M62 is not going to make much power at all @ 8-12psi.

Quick Reply: This Could Start A War Turbo Or Superchaged