2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Delta2.2's TURBO 2006 cobalt LS build

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sentry
I feel like every 2.2 is going turbo but me.

I need to get out of training on this job so I can start getting some commission.

Turbo in maybe 4 months.
hell yea...more turbos
Old 08-29-2008, 01:11 AM

I feel like every 2.2 is going turbo but me.

I need to get out of training on this job so I can start getting some commission.

Turbo in maybe 4 months.
Its OK. If you really want it, you will get it, I worked a ton of overtime at the hospital to afford it, and sold somethings to hurry up the process, but I bought it, and the clutch, and the installation...nearly $5000 later its finally done, but be prepared to spend aroung this much----->$5000
Old 08-29-2008, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by El Mariachi
Its OK. If you really want it, you will get it, I worked a ton of overtime at the hospital to afford it, and sold somethings to hurry up the process, but I bought it, and the clutch, and the installation...nearly $5000 later its finally done, but be prepared to spend aroung this much----->$5000
dayam you spent that much.....i guess im still good since i have only spent 3500 so far with these new rods and pistons
Old 08-29-2008, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by mrsilent13
dayam you spent that much.....i guess im still good since i have only spent 3500 so far with these new rods and pistons

LOL well, lets see:

Garrett Alpha Kit-3000
Spec Stage 2 clutch -400
installation for both turbo and clutch-1200
DC Sport exhaust w/ installation- 500

But all in all it was worth it
Old 08-29-2008, 01:36 AM

LOL well, lets see:

Garrett Alpha Kit-3000
Spec Stage 2 clutch -400
installation for both turbo and clutch-1200
DC Sport exhaust w/ installation- 500

But all in all it was worth it
Can you put up some pics or something, or a video. I really want to see how it all went.

A video would be better!

Are you at the stock 8 psi?

Oh, and where are you getting your rods/pistons and how much? What compression?

And, how much did you push yours before it popped?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:39 AM

Can you put up some pics or something, or a video. I really want to see how it all went.

A video would be better!

I would love to show everyone vids and pics but Im not much of a computer person and I dont know how to post them up here. lol
Old 08-29-2008, 01:41 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
You need to upgrade to a TRUE Evo III Big 16G...

...and we need to race.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:41 AM

I would love to show everyone vids and pics but Im not much of a computer person and I dont know how to post them up here. lol
You got a digital camera? It's pretty easy really.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:45 AM

You got a digital camera? It's pretty easy really.
I got a camera phone, its an envy 2, i can take vids and pics with it.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:49 AM

I got a camera phone, its an envy 2, i can take vids and pics with it.
I don't know about the video, because every phone is different, but those pictures you can definitely put up. Take some pics, and then those you want to put up just select them and you can email them.

matt7988@gmail.com

If you can get those to me I'll set you up.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:52 AM

A video would be better!

im gettin my rods and pistons from cimotorsports.net...but apparently turbo tech can price match it and even give you a better deal if you buy the rods and pistons as a package.....but i got the 8.9:1 pistons

i also got some arp head studs....for my newly ported and polished head

Last edited by mrsilent13; 08-29-2008 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-29-2008, 02:01 AM

im gettin my rods and pistons from cimotorsports.net...but apparently turbo tech can price match it and even give you a better deal if you buy the rods and pistons as a package.....but i got the 8.9:1 pistons

i also got some arp head studs....for my newly ported and polished head
Wow, that's not a bad price at all. With these there's no way you're going to break anything huh?
Old 08-29-2008, 03:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spent around $4000 on my turbo project all together, not counting the new engine. When I got started with this thing it was decided that we'd go custom to make a lot of it cheaper then buying a kit. The tubular manifold bumped that up another $1100, and all the other little things you don't think about when you get started with something like this. However, even with this added cost (which adds up around the price of most brand name kits you can buy) I still feel pretty confidant at out running any other "kit"
Old 08-29-2008, 08:26 AM

why are you base model kiddies so turbo-happy?

you spend thousands of dollars to make as much power as....a stock or minimally mod'ed ss....

seems like you should have bought the better car in the first place.

also, with the extreme half-ass tuneing support and lack luster quality and engineering behind most the "kits" my point only becomes more self evident.
(bring it)
Old 08-29-2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by 06black

you spend thousands of dollars to make as much power as....a stock or minimally mod'ed ss....

also, with the extreme half-ass tuneing support and lack luster quality and engineering behind most the "kits" my point only becomes more self evident.
(bring it)

QFT...
Old 08-29-2008, 09:34 AM

(bring it)
Am I feeling a twinge of jealousy? Even if I put 7,000 under my hood, I would still be paying less than what I would have paid for an SS SC stock, and it would be faster and more performance capable.

Come on, do you know what a base model cobalt could do with a 7 grand budget?

I got love for the SC versions, but don't hate when base models start passing.
I would have gotten an SS if I had the money but I didn't want to get demolished on insurance.

/been brought

Last edited by Sentry; 08-29-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:57 AM

twinge of jealousy?

show me a base model that'll pass my car, and I'll show you a car that traps at the 120mark at low 12 / high 11 ET's

I'm just shell shocked that i see people pumping 3 to 5 grand into these eco-box's only to reach and strive for a dismal 200hp.

even a stock ss is nothing to write home about.

that 3 to 5'g could have been used to pay for the superior trim line here, hell my monthly payment with only 3k down is $222.21 a month. the MSRP for my car was a whoooooppping 17k when the discounts and cash incentives were done.

not only would you end up with a more attractive car, but also a car that was better engineered to survive the riggers of the mod's that we often apply to them.

i can almost always see the connection people have with mod'ing cheap, slow, yet reliable cars. but the amount of money people are putting into these is far greater then most, for lack-luster results.

a good nitrous build would be the way i would do it. much cheaper and when done rite, could easily push the car past the power levels of the turbo set ups i've seen thus far.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:06 AM

twinge of jealousy?

show me a base model that'll pass my car, and I'll show you a car that traps at the 120mark at low 12 / high 11 ET's

I'm just shell shocked that i see people pumping 3 to 5 grand into these eco-box's only to reach and strive for a dismal 200hp.

even a stock ss is nothing to write home about.

that 3 to 5'g could have been used to pay for the superior trim line here, hell my monthly payment with only 3k down is $222.21 a month. the MSRP for my car was a whoooooppping 17k when the discounts and cash incentives were done.

not only would you end up with a more attractive car, but also a car that was better engineered to survive the riggers of the mod's that we often apply to them.

i can almost always see the connection people have with mod'ing cheap, slow, yet reliable cars. but the amount of money people are putting into these is far greater then most, for lack-luster results.

a good nitrous build would be the way i would do it. much cheaper and when done rite, could easily push the car past the power levels of the turbo set ups i've seen thus far.
I see your point on some levels, like suspension for example and exterior kits, ect.

But, I think it's only a matter of time before you see turbo balts doing 11's and 12's. It's inevitable, really. I realize your car is fast, really fast for an SS especially, but how much did it cost you? I'm going to guess you've spent quite a bit yourself.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:17 AM

not as much as some would assume, i've done all the work myself and I've only had to truly out-source one part (my exhaust manifold) so my costs have just been parts. and when you spec things out properly and do plenty of looking, you can find every thing you need on the cheap.

for the cost Garrett sells there alpha turbo kit, you could build my car.

and yes, those time will happen, its the evolution of a car and its aftermarket. the cobalts just seem to be slower developing with higher prices.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned

Am I feeling a twinge of jealousy? Even if I put 7,000 under my hood, I would still be paying less than what I would have paid for an SS SC stock, and it would be faster and more performance capable.

Come on, do you know what a base model cobalt could do with a 7 grand budget?

I got love for the SC versions, but don't hate when base models start passing.
I would have gotten an SS if I had the money but I didn't want to get demolished on insurance.

/been brought
QFT...

its all about what you can do at what time in ur life. as far as it goes, my car will always be cheaper then what i put into it for a new SS at the time. 12,000 dollar cobalt + 2000 turbo kit = 14000 total all said and done.

so to bump u the "trim level" id be a "LT" cobalt not an "LS" cobalt.

not to mention insurence rate to insure the car prolly cost a ton less.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:56 AM

Please don't bring up useless points like that, do you think it was running through his mind when he purchased the car "oh i can buy a ls and dump this much more money into it and be faster" my guess is no.

To your point you could have got a used ls1 and been wayyy faster than you currently are, paid less in insurance to, but thats to your point.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lsjwannabe
Please don't bring up useless points like that, do you think it was running through his mind when he purchased the car "oh i can buy a ls and dump this much more money into it and be faster" my guess is no.

To your point you could have got a used ls1 and been wayyy faster than you currently are, paid less in insurance to, but thats to your point.
exactly, it wasnt a point in my mind when i did this that 2 years later id want this on my car.

LS1 > L61/LSJ w/turbo any day
Old 08-29-2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Delta2.2
exactly, it wasnt a point in my mind when i did this that 2 years later id want this on my car.

LS1 > all any day
fixed
Old 08-29-2008, 11:03 AM

not to be an ass dude but you did buy a supercharged car only to rip that out and go turbo...there are plenty of "better" platforms you could've started with.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:09 AM

^^^^^LOL

QFT!

So whats next for your vehicle delta? Traction mods, axles, rims/tires?

Quick Reply: Delta2.2's TURBO 2006 cobalt LS build