2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Delta2.2's TURBO 2006 cobalt LS build

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe a new car. he was the same guy that ran to a dealership not far from his house cause GM was going to "buy" his car back since he had so many problems with it, or at least that was what we were informed of.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:56 AM

well seeing as i got my car for 12..stuck about 1,000 in it..and i have a car that is as fast as a Stock SS..im pretty proud.

Plus it surprises the **** out of people when you pop the hood and see no supercharger..just a N/A cobalt on juice
Old 08-29-2008, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Preston
well seeing as i got my car for 12..stuck about 1,000 in it..and i have a car that is as fast as a Stock SS..im pretty proud.

Plus it surprises the **** out of people when you pop the hood and see no supercharger..just a N/A cobalt on juice

no offense but mid 14's is nothing to be proud of. 13's arent even something to be proud of. And you might have put an initial 1,000 dollars into it, but each time you fill that bottle your adding up more and more money. You fill that bottle 10 times, and your 500 dollars deeper.

The point is, no matter what you do to a base model cobalt, its still a base model cobalt. Sure you can make it quick and perform as well as an SS, but i doubt theres a person here who would choose a modified base model over a stock SS. Mainly because no matter what you do, a stock SS is a better well rounded performance car than 99% of the people who modify base model cobalts can make. So sure you can buy a cheaper car and dump 7Gs into it and make it faster than a stock/modified SS, but it still wont be a better all around car.

The point Bryan is trying to make is that instead of dumping all that money into a base model cobalt so it can only perform as well as a SS, why not just save up that money and buy a car that already performs that well and has alot more to offer as far as neatness of the work and reliability? Your not just buying performance when you buy an SS over a base model. I mean 7Gs makes for a pretty good down payment on a SS. That would make your monthly payments about equal to that of a base model.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IonNinja
not to be an ass dude but you did buy a supercharged car only to rip that out and go turbo...there are plenty of "better" platforms you could've started with.

SOOOOOOO TRUE!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by -Jayson-
So sure you can buy a cheaper car and dump 7Gs into it and make it faster than a stock/modified SS, but it still wont be a better all around car.
I'm going to have to disagree with that. When I said 7k, I was talking about what budget I was working with in contrast to paying 22k for a new ss sc (at the time, new).

I'm leaving out springs, tint, appearance mods that the SS owners are going to swap anyways, so it's not really included, but with 7k you could do the works to your ls and it would be fast and definitely as nice.

It's all preference, if you like the SS badge and the dealership warranty on a brand new fast car without a lot of work, then that's fine. But if you don't think 7k wouldn't totally build an LS from the ground up then you're mistaken.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:53 PM

Right now I'd get the SS just for the reliable tuning
Old 08-29-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sentry
I'm going to have to disagree with that. When I said 7k, I was talking about what budget I was working with in contrast to paying 22k for a new ss sc (at the time, new).

I'm leaving out springs, tint, appearance mods that the SS owners are going to swap anyways, so it's not really included, but with 7k you could do the works to your ls and it would be fast and definitely as nice.

It's all preference, if you like the SS badge and the dealership warranty on a brand new fast car without a lot of work, then that's fine. But if you don't think 7k wouldn't totally build an LS from the ground up then you're mistaken.

no i dont think 7Gs would make a base model a better all around car than an SS. And im not just talking performance, im talking comfort creatures like the recaro seats, leather warpped steering wheel and shift ***, 7 speaker audio system, LSD, and all the other things that make a SS more enjoyable to drive other than peformance.

Like i said, i dont look at cars just on performance levels. Most real car enthusiast dont, usually younger teenagers only look at performance. Most people look at the whole car and look at things other than performance. The thing with people who own base models is that they think making it fast makes it respectable, to an extent it does, but its still a base model. yeah sure you can take a civic hatch back and turn it into a 10 second car all for like 7 grand. Does that make it a better car than SS because it would stomp it into the ground in a race? I guess if all you care about are 4 wheels and an engine. If you dont mind driving around a fast turd.

Lets even try to price this out for 7gs to make it close to a SS. And were going off new quality parts. No used ebay crap. It needs to be semi reliable.

3,000 Turbo
1,500 Rims and Tires
1,000 stereo
1,000 LSD
600 seats
400 exhaust
1,000 body kit

thats over 7gs right there, and thats not counting if you have to pay a shop to do some work and thats barely touching the parts you need.

Clutch
Brakes
Forged Internals
Interior Trim
Suspension
Tuneing

And ontop of prolly a few thousand dollars more worth of random parts and pieces you will need. So no, 7Gs will not make a base model better than a SS.

So no, its a better idea to take the 7Gs you would put into a base model and buy the higher trim level car.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06black... If you can find me a SS/SC for under 16k Brand new...PLEASE GOD DAMN LET ME KNOW! otherwise my 239whp 249wtq, fully loaded 2 speed sedan i got for 12k does just fine. Did it ever occur to you, insurance might play a role? as 90% of us are under the age of 25, even 21 and insurance kills us. Now My car is paid off, and insurance is only 800$ a year for full coverage.. I put down more power then a stage 2 for the most part, give and take. I dont understand why you think the way i did my car is stupid? Keep your mouth shut, grow up first.

Originally Posted by -Jayson-
no i dont think 7Gs would make a base model a better all around car than an SS. And im not just talking performance, im talking comfort creatures like the recaro seats, leather warpped steering wheel and shift ***, 7 speaker audio system, LSD, and all the other things that make a SS more enjoyable to drive other than peformance.

Like i said, i dont look at cars just on performance levels. Most real car enthusiast dont, usually younger teenagers only look at performance. Most people look at the whole car and look at things other than performance. The thing with people who own base models is that they think making it fast makes it respectable, to an extent it does, but its still a base model. yeah sure you can take a civic hatch back and turn it into a 10 second car all for like 7 grand. Does that make it a better car than SS because it would stomp it into the ground in a race? I guess if all you care about are 4 wheels and an engine. If you dont mind driving around a fast turd.

Lets even try to price this out for 7gs to make it close to a SS. And were going off new quality parts. No used ebay crap. It needs to be semi reliable.

3,000 Turbo
1,500 Rims and Tires
1,000 stereo
1,000 LSD
600 seats
400 exhaust
1,000 body kit

thats over 7gs right there, and thats not counting if you have to pay a shop to do some work and thats barely touching the parts you need.

Clutch
Brakes
Forged Internals
Interior Trim
Suspension
Tuneing

And ontop of prolly a few thousand dollars more worth of random parts and pieces you will need. So no, 7Gs will not make a base model better than a SS.

So no, its a better idea to take the 7Gs you would put into a base model and buy the higher trim level car.
Read above ^^ BTW i love my recaros

Mine is Yea i wanted to trade in for a SS/TC but mainly to start over and get fresh paint as mine is the suck.

Last edited by mkulrey13; 08-29-2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-29-2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
not to be an ass dude but you did buy a supercharged car only to rip that out and go turbo...there are plenty of "better" platforms you could've started with.

theres not many, if any better platforms one could start with in this segment (save the srt4, but thats arguable at best)

the money i put into my car often shocks people at how small that dollar figure is, and i can assure you, as my post indicates, it puts a large bit more the 200 to the tire.

Originally Posted by mkulrey13
06black... If you can find me a SS/SC for under 16k Brand new...PLEASE GOD DAMN LET ME KNOW! otherwise my 239whp 249wtq, fully loaded 2 speed sedan i got for 12k does just fine. Did it ever occur to you, insurance might play a role? as 90% of us are under the age of 25, even 21 and insurance kills us. Now My car is paid off, and insurance is only 800$ a year for full coverage.. I put down more power then a stage 2 for the most part, give and take. I dont understand why you think the way i did my car is stupid? Keep your mouth shut, grow up first.

Read above ^^ BTW i love my recaros

Mine is Yea i wanted to trade in for a SS/TC but mainly to start over and get fresh paint as mine is the suck.
go in and bargain dear man, thats how i got mine!

my car stickered out a 22 and some change, i walked out just a smidge below 17. NEW.

insurance should not play a role here, i was fresh outta HS when i got my car, with 5pts, yet i managed to pay that insurance bill every month.

did it suck...yup! but i did it because i wanted my car.

if you want something bad enough, you'll budget yourself vary effectively in order to afford it.

i never called your car stupid either.

putting down more power then a stg2 car is the most weak-ass line i've heard on here in ages. a stock car with some injectors and a solid tune will put those numbers down.

its definitively along the same lines, as say winning a gold medal at the special Olympics...kinda cool, but not note worthy.

you put how much into your car to reach a "meager" 250whp?

Last edited by 06black; 08-29-2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 06black
theres not many, if any better platforms one could start with in this segment (save the srt4, but thats arguable at best)

the money i put into my car often shocks people at how small that dollar figure is, and i can assure you, as my post indicates, it puts a large bit more the 200 to the tire.

i can find you an ss/sc all day, every day for that price range. you just have to go in and bitch smack the dealer.

my car snickered out a 22 and some change, i walked out just a smidge below 17. NEW.

insurance should not play a role here, i was fresh outta HS when i got my car, with 5pts, yet i managed to pay that insurance bill every month.

did it suck...yup! but i did it because i wanted my car.

if you want something bad enough, you'll budget yourself vary effectively in order to afford it.
you CANNOT not find a ss/sc BRAND NEW for under 16k..stop dreaming but enough with this bickering..this is about delta. Congrats delta, some people dont understand why you did this but i do

I also want to see your reciept/paperwork showing you got a ss/sc under 17k...its not posssible, if you did, your comming with me for my next car!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by mkulrey13
you CANNOT not find a ss/sc BRAND NEW for under 16k..stop dreaming but enough with this bickering..this is about delta. Congrats delta, some people dont understand why you did this but i do

I also want to see your reciept/paperwork showing you got a ss/sc under 17k...its not posssible, if you did, your comming with me for my next car!
i actually have it all in the glove box of the car now, grabbed it from my parents place when i moved apartments a few months back.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:12 PM

oh jesus..

Seriously a 2.2 guy does something big to his car..and a SS guy has to come in and say
"why didn't you just buy the SS"
If every person knew they were gonna be doing nitrous/turbo/supercharger to there cars i think, they might have gotten a SS.
I got my LS because i wasn't plan on doing anything to big to my car. Just intake, header/dp, cat back. But i wanted more, so i dropped some money and got my nitrous set up.

So stop screwing up his thread and congradulate him either way..

Thumbs up delta..im impreessed
Old 08-29-2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Preston
oh jesus..

Seriously a 2.2 guy does something big to his car..and a SS guy has to come in and say
"why didn't you just buy the SS"
thats the question of the day! for a few dollars more you could have the undoubtedly better car here.

If every person knew they were gonna be doing nitrous/turbo/supercharger to there cars i think, they might have gotten a SS.

and why not? boost or spray friendly motor, agressive aperance, solid platform, ect
I got my LS because i wasn't plan on doing anything to big to my car. Just intake, header/dp, cat back. But i wanted more, so i dropped some money and got my nitrous set up.

So stop screwing up his thread and congradulate him either way..
congratulate him for having some one else do the work? nah, no thanks.
Thumbs up delta..im impreessed
4char
Old 08-29-2008, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 06black
4char
you really dont want to see the number of my build.. i have a 2.4.... and with everything i've put into it. it's still only the price that a redline or ss/sc was when i bought my car.. and most of the things i've done to my car now i would've done to a redline if i bought it .. when i'm done installing boost i'll have as much power as a well modded redline ( which isn't bad) better handling then a stock redline.. upgraded brakes and some visual mods ... all for about 3k less then it would've cost to do to a redline if not more of a difference..

when i got my car redlines were about 22 or so i got my car for 18 or so ...

did i buy the car with the intent to mod? yes and no .. it was 2x the power of my old car even in it's stock form... however i bought the car thinking if i ever want to mod it vvt is good , it has more displacement and other things

cut it with the holier then thou attitude..
Old 08-30-2008, 03:36 AM

The funny thing is, almost everyone who has posted in this thread in the past 2-3 days who has an SS, all personally know delta and pretty much helped in some way in getting that car where it is today.

The car has a nice improvement in it. Now if only we can convince James to spend some real money on the car and see what can happen.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:00 AM

Hey, I very happy with my LS turbocharge, with all the money I have spent on it to get it wear it is today, it gives you a sense of accomplishment.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:12 AM

whats a "better" platform is all relative...

besides you gotta pay to play regardless, either start by buying an expensive car from the start and start modding or buy a cheap car and put tons of money into it.

and with that said, the only thing that is holding the 2.2 back powerwise is tuning. I'm confident that with a good tune you could hold 300whp on stock bottom end if you're not beating on it.

I don't really care about the argument either way though, I'm in too deep to turn around and start over now
Old 08-30-2008, 12:52 PM

Mariachi and delta need to get to the track asap. I wanna see times and maybe a dyno!
Old 08-30-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
lol.....

that is all
Old 08-30-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sentry
Mariachi and delta need to get to the track asap. I wanna see times and maybe a dyno!
delta went to the track, ran somewhere around a 14.4 @ 98mph
Old 08-30-2008, 05:35 PM

Look, you want to know why us LS people are turbo happy? Because its cool. Thats why
Old 08-30-2008, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by mcphatty
delta went to the track, ran somewhere around a 14.4 @ 98mph
Not bad, but I wouldn't be happy until I pushed into the mid 13's. I definitely wouldn't stop there.

Are either of you guys going forged so you can up the boost?
Old 08-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NGalaxyTimmyo
The funny thing is, almost everyone who has posted in this thread in the past 2-3 days who has an SS, all personally know delta and pretty much helped in some way in getting that car where it is today.

The car has a nice improvement in it. Now if only we can convince James to spend some real money on the car and see what can happen.
u know....i was noticeing that pattern myself

and that improvement was all i was really after.

at the end of the day its a 12000 dollar base model with 2000 dollars in mods. im happy with it, i wanted to have FUN with the car, and trust me I HAVE.

idc if the SS is faster. ya LOTS OF CARS COULDA BEEN BETTER. but we live and learn. as far as im concerned, this cars just something im haveing fun with till a serious build one day.

the car right now is maxxed out. anything more thrown at it were looking at some serious money to make it all work.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:20 PM

nitrous?
Old 09-01-2008, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by El Mariachi
I would love to show everyone vids and pics but Im not much of a computer person and I dont know how to post them up here. lol
Here's Mariachi's turbo ls, I just checked my email tonight, sorry it took so long.

Quick Reply: Delta2.2's TURBO 2006 cobalt LS build