2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

differences with premium gas usage

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackalope
Who ever says it doesn't matter should take that rediculous argument to GM and ask them why then does the SS Cobalt say it should use 91 or better? GM doesn't own the oil companies so why would they care?
because the LSJ is a force induction engine and your octane rating is in direct correlation to how much knock you may encounter, and in turn how much timing you can advance "safely" along with keeping detonation at bay.

lol you guys must make these threads almost once a month and it always ends up the same. unless you have some major modifications to warrant the increase octane fuel it makes absolutely no difference, stop kidding yourselves to justify why you spent more then someone with the same car did at the gas pump.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:49 PM

Thats your opinion. Going strickly by the DIC and the km's remaining to tank i get way more millage with preimum in town then regular. Theres no ifs ands or buts about it. thats what the car says. im preaty sure these sensors are acurate so im gonna trust them for the most part (that oil life sometimes scares me lol) So again, if u wanna spend the buck go for it! I personaly use both because octane aside, preimium is a cleaner gas so it does help to runn it everyonce and a while. thats my 2 cents
Old 10-31-2006, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by marerick007
I never said you wouldn't notice a difference...anything but the SS/SC are tuned to run on regular gas. Crappy quality regular gas can make your car run like ****. Where you get the gas can make the difference too. I always try to get my gas from the newest stations in town. I know their tanks are new and the chance of water seepage or leaks are slim to none. The older the storage tanks, the more contaminated the gas can be. Also, name brands do make a difference. I was always told Hess is one of the best stations to go to...Hard to find except on the upper east coast I think. Shell and Sunoco are good too.
If they were tuned to run on regular gas it wouldn't make any difference going to a higher octane. Running regular 87 octane causes the engine to knock some and the computer retards the timing to compensate. Hence a power loss and crappy gas milage. Just because it runs on 87 doesn't mean it was tuned for it. The SS/SC will run on it too but it will be an even more noticable difference.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:26 AM

Octane

Try 96 octane. I've been experimenting with different octanes in various weather conditions. 96 octane when it's about 65-70 gives me a very noticable boost in low end and mid range torque. I went as high as 100 octane when the temperature was in the mid 70's but noticed only a mild gain over 96 octane. My theory is that the tuning of the car / ECU is the limitation as someone previously posted.

Keep in mind my Cobalt SS/SC is still stock and anyone with mods such as a Stage II kit may get more out of 100 octane.

My friend had an EVO with 22lbs of boost and he uses C-16 race fuel at the track. He's currently running high 12's.

I have also noticed a difference between the lower cost octane boosters such as STP or NOS usually sold at the local parts store in the orange bottle, and NOS brand which sells for about $7-$12 at a local speed shop. I currently use NOS P/N 12002 STREET FORMULA which raises octane effect up to 3 octane points, not to be confused by the claims made by lower cost octane boosters which advertise up to 15 pt. boost and in small writing on the back of the bottle tell you that each 1pt = 0.1pt. of octane.

I have also found that using to much octane booster causes a loss in performance. At some point it's probably better to just use higher octane fuel. I going to make a bad anlogy to promote my theory.

THEORY: It's like adding a the ratio of water to coffee grounds that make the perfect cup of coffee... hmm... Okay, that's a bad analogy but I hope I've given some food for thought. Food... hmm...

Last edited by Paradox; 11-01-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Gas Myths and Answers:

1. Premium Gas burns cleaner - FALSE! Premium gas does not burn cleaner! On a car tuned to run 87 octane the gas burns LESS causing Catalytic converter and O2 sensor failure sooner. You also are helping to pollute our environment even more.

2. When I put Premium in my car I get better gas milage - FALSE! Since you are actually wasting 5% of your gas because it is not burning you are NOT getting better gas mileage. Just because the DIC says your gas mileage is higher does not mean it is so. What is probably happening is that the car "thinks" it is getting better gas mileage because it is trying to compensate for the fact it "thinks" it is running rich since the gas is not burning correctly.

3. During Spirited or Heavy driving the car responds better - TRUE! You may get a bit of a performance increase under heavy loads using premium gas because as the combustion chamber becomes increasing hot from hard driving the premium will allow the car to begin to burn the gas correctly thus eliminating having to retard timing due to knock.

Also as a side note - the DIC is not 100% accurate. If I drive a full tank of gas and stay out of boost the DIC is usually fairly close - within 1 MPG or so. However if I drive hard here or there or maybe burn a ricer or two during the week, the DIC has been off by as much as 5 MPG. So do not always go off the DIC for your true MPG.

You may want to try using 89 octane in your 2.2L balt. It will help reduce any knock you may get during city driving and will still continue to burn fairly effectively.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:05 AM

lol

this is the only site I know of where someone's opinion is found true over fact. incredible.

rnjmur - if the ecu would advance timing then #3 would be true, but it's not very likely. you'd have to actually read your knock with both octane in the exact same variables. the theory is there and cars with a distributor can advance easily, but we cannot. otherwise you're right on point.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:43 AM

Notice I said on #3 it MAY help but I also put in there the stipulation that it only helps if it prevents the engine from retarding due to knock which can occur under heavy load/heat conditions.

To clarify - unless you are at the track doing multiple runs or at sustained high RPMs where the engine tempurature is high you will probably not see the performance gain of running premium in a car that only needs 87 octane. However the possibility of it having a slight performance increase is there so I can't really say that the myth is completely false even though it is only slightly true.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:46 AM

hey I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm giving you praise for realizing this lol

but it's ok because we're both idiots hahahaha
Old 10-31-2006, 03:53 PM

all you guys tell us about octane and how the computer reacts....u all own SS/SC's!!! The 2.2 is not the same and reacts very diffrently then ur cars. Our computers don't have to compensate for boost and detonation because their made not too read any hense our whole turbo/supercharger delimma. Second of all, depending on where people live and the climate they drive in will also adversly affect the way the engine reacts to octane.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:02 PM

Sweet Jesus!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:24 PM

Hey I will admit idiocy pokes it head out sometimes... hehe...

And having a SC is what makes it necessary for our cars to run on premium gas - because the SC basically raises the compression level in the combustion chamber. Compression + Heat = need more octane or BOOM! detonation... and the 2.2L motors do have knock sensors so they can adjust timing.

All engine mechanics are the same whether you have a SC or don't have a SC. Yes climate can make a bit of difference but I don't think they were asking about the effects of octane at climate extremes.

Edit: All praise Sweet Baby Jesus!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you guys are idiots... octane is nothing more than gas's resistance to detonation... you are supposed to use the lowest octane that does not product knock... end of story.. nothing else... game over... end yourself...

using premium in a 2.2 is good for one thing, and one thing only... spending more money than you have to... you can trick yourself into believing that it's actually benefitting your car, but it's not... again, end of story...

people associate high octane with more horse power INCORRECTLY because higher horsepower engines call for higher octane... why?? do some research for yourself... i'm sick of covering the same topic over, and over, and over because some ricer thinks he's getting better gas mileage and 20 more hp from using 100 octane in his base model 126 whp car...
Old 10-31-2006, 04:38 PM
Banned

Game over:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The power output of an engine depends on the energy content of its fuel, and this bears no simple relationship to the octane rating. A common myth amongst petrol consumers is that adding a higher octane fuel to a vehicle's engine will increase its performance and/or lessen its fuel consumption; this is mostly false—engines perform best when using fuel with the octane rating they were designed for and any increase in performance by using a fuel with a different octane rating is minimal.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:39 PM

my car runs smother on mid grade than regular but out here in CO regular is 85 octane.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by cawpin
If they were tuned to run on regular gas it wouldn't make any difference going to a higher octane. Running regular 87 octane causes the engine to knock some and the computer retards the timing to compensate. Hence a power loss and crappy gas milage. Just because it runs on 87 doesn't mean it was tuned for it. The SS/SC will run on it too but it will be an even more noticable difference.
You might want to read the owner's manual. You must be getting some crappy gas for it to run bad on 87 octane, simply put. If it was tuned to a higher octane, then it would say it in the owners manual like the SS/SC recommends Premium.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 06Pursuit
all you guys tell us about octane and how the computer reacts....u all own SS/SC's!!! The 2.2 is not the same and reacts very diffrently then ur cars. Our computers don't have to compensate for boost and detonation because their made not too read any hense our whole turbo/supercharger delimma. Second of all, depending on where people live and the climate they drive in will also adversly affect the way the engine reacts to octane.
I also have a 2.2 LS Sedan as well. I know its not the same, AND I also know how it reacts. It boils down to the quality of the fuel you are getting if you have it run crappy on 87 octane.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
you guys are idiots... octane is nothing more than gas's resistance to detonation... you are supposed to use the lowest octane that does not product knock... end of story.. nothing else... game over... end yourself...

using premium in a 2.2 is good for one thing, and one thing only... spending more money than you have to... you can trick yourself into believing that it's actually benefitting your car, but it's not... again, end of story...

people associate high octane with more horse power INCORRECTLY because higher horsepower engines call for higher octane... why?? do some research for yourself... i'm sick of covering the same topic over, and over, and over because some ricer thinks he's getting better gas mileage and 20 more hp from using 100 octane in his base model 126 whp car...
Thanks for the backup!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Banned

Thanks for the backup!
no prob
Old 10-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Banned

The only thing that would matter for our gas is Top Tier Gas. Such as SHELL. It reduces the carbon build up over time and keeps the engine clean.

This Octane crap is just that, crap. Theres no way you can tell 100% that 90 octane gives you 5 more mpg. Its impossible because the driving conditions will never be the same or close enough on a city or highway to reproduce accurate results.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:25 PM

NGK 2 step colder plugs + 91 octane & my car feels like a Honda Civic
Old 10-31-2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
The only thing that would matter for our gas is Top Tier Gas. Such as SHELL. It reduces the carbon build up over time and keeps the engine clean.

This Octane crap is just that, crap. Theres no way you can tell 100% that 90 octane gives you 5 more mpg. Its impossible because the driving conditions will never be the same or close enough on a city or highway to reproduce accurate results.

It has nothing to do with Economy...

It has to do with Detonation Threshold.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IonNinja
NGK 2 step colder plugs + 91 octane & my car feels like a Honda Civic
so you lost all your torque??
Old 10-31-2006, 08:40 PM

Ah, my bad, I looked at his sig which says he has a LT...regular gas is fine for that....
ahhh.... this is the 2.2L fourm.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by YSUsteven
ahhh.... this is the 2.2L fourm.
Yeah, I noticed...thanks for pointing it out....
Old 10-31-2006, 10:31 PM

In the LS it is better on the engine to to run the lower octane gas. The compression in the engines doesnt burn the higher octane gasolines as well as the fuel milage thing is all in your imagination. I filled up regular reset MPG gauge and drove 20 miles. Average of 28mpg city. Next week filled up with premium cause it was only 2.11/g reset MPG gauge and drove the same 20 miles same speed and averaged 28 MPG. Same MPG on both gasolines and Regular gasoline in the LS and LT cobalts wont foul up the O2 sensor or spark plugs thats just plain bullshit that gas companys use to sell the higher price gas. It wont harm the engine using higher grade gas. But there is absolutly no difference measured by either a computer(stand alone fuel management) or on board MPG display if you actually drive completely the same both times in same style weather conditions, same acceleration, same everything. Please dont **** people up telling them that its gonna make a difference. Some people come here because they dont know the difference between the Alternator and the master cylinder and they will believe anything you tell them even if its wrong and just costing them more money.

Now if you have the SS or the SS/SC I would definitly reccomend using the premium. Price you pay for buying a forced induction engine. or High Compression VVTI engine in teh case of the 2.4SS

Quick Reply: differences with premium gas usage