2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

do 2.2s really have any potiental

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tru2nrtt777
I do think it is funny that most of the people on here who are talking about the cost are including shop prices, DYI and you can easily kill SS/SC's. So far I have priced it and my base was 14k add about 4k for mods and I will be faster than an SC. Currently I have a whopping $300 in right now.
Most people have NO knowledge of forced induction applications and if they ran into problems they would be fucked. One thing most base model owners (like myself) dont realize is its more than just power, its nice to have the suspension feel more like your in control, its nice to have some good brakes that are going to stop you in a hell of a hurry if you have to. Its more than just power, i didn't see that tell after i test drove a caliber srt4 but it really is nice having good brakes and suspension to go with that extra power
Old 03-30-2008, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by dragonslayer27
why are there two people saying they are the first turbo sedan?
i didnt see anyone else that came out with a turbo cobalt sedan than us thats why were the first 2

and for the other post its faster than just a stock ss/sc right now i smoke the hell out of stock ss/sc on 6-7 psi untuned once i fix my trans and get tuned for my 10lbs of boost im sure a modded ss/sc wont be hard to beat at all
Old 03-30-2008, 02:57 PM

yes they have potential. Just invest. They can produce decent numbers if you have the right parts, such as full bolt-ons, turbo, etc.. Your car will be the ultimate 'sleeper', once its a base model putting out 250hp.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:19 PM

its not the motor that needs to have potential its the owner...

the build is only going to be as good as the builder. look at all the guys building 300+whp Hondas and their starting platform is no different than ours.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:23 PM

There's a saying "how fast do you want to spend." This car has ridiculous potential...just requires a lot of money. As stated, read the GM build book.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Helltime
Most people have NO knowledge of forced induction applications and if they ran into problems they would be fucked. One thing most base model owners (like myself) dont realize is its more than just power, its nice to have the suspension feel more like your in control, its nice to have some good brakes that are going to stop you in a hell of a hurry if you have to. Its more than just power, i didn't see that tell after i test drove a caliber srt4 but it really is nice having good brakes and suspension to go with that extra power
True but FI is not the only route you can go, I am planning a high compression N/a build. I am thinking of 13:1 pistons on 93 octane with a oil squirter set up like a dsm(oil being shot onto the bottom of the piston), mild cam good for low end/midrange torque, boring .20-.40 over, larger 5 angle valves, adjustable cam gears, ect. I am thinking with having 3 tunes(street, autoX, and drag) with the drag and auto X running on 116 I should be able to conservitively put down about 230hp and 240-260 tq with the main powerband between 3k-62xx peaking around 45xx-5k. I am debating about a meth kit since I dont want to flood it since it will be a N/a. Also as soon as I get my tax return I am getting SS/SC springs from another member. I am also thinking of getting a Civic disc brake conversion kit off my friend for $100(he wrecked his while the kit was in transit) and seeing if it can be modded to work with the Cobalt.

Also not only do people not know about FI they also dont understand the concept of Junkyard tech. Like my S-15 build which will be after the balt, I can get nearly all the performance parts I need off of GM fullsize trucks and vans(think astro awd+S15 chassis=sleeper typhoon/cyclone with locked differentials).Get a twin turbo setup off a Z32(300ZX) with custom manifolds, tune it with HPT and I can reliably get 250-300 hp out of the tired stock 4.3. The internals are the same as the turbo'd engine and are save under up to 15 psi.

Last edited by tru2nrtt777; 03-30-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:20 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by Switt23
I plan on driving my cobalt into the ground. I"m talking like 300,000 miles plus. I don't see the point in continously getting a new car every 5 years. When a part breaks. I fix it with something better, much better.

I guess what I am getting at, is unless the body panels have massive whole in them... why sale the car? It runs great, I love the way it looks... Unless something comes out that is dirt cheap and could fly to mars in back... I'm not trading or getting rid of my cobalt.

Nobody says you have to buy everything at once. I have a storage shed at my apartment that's full of stuff. Spare Block, Spare Head, valves, springs, lifters.... basically a whole motor minus the manifolds and oil pan. It won't be going ito my car until next spring, but over the summer that motor is gunna recieve a lot of attention.
Very smart man,
props to financial security....
I just think its bullsh*t that i gotta pay so much $$ for a K&N typhoon, and then even more, just to see it work.....aint that sum shiznit
Old 03-30-2008, 10:21 PM

any car has potential if ur willing to spend the time and the money on it.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:47 PM

It's easy if you know how to budget it. As Adam would preach, don't invest in your car if you plan on wanting a return from it when you trade it in. NJHK can tell a lot of you some very very smart things about these motors and finances

I get paid every 2 weeks. $100 a check goes towards the car, the rest goes to bills and at least 15% of my check has to go into savings. My savings is a secure savings with both my wife's and my name so no money can be removed unless both of us sign the papers... meaning I can't take out 4 grand and blow it on parts unless the wifey is gunna let me and trust me that's not happening. Over the winter, let the money roll in. Then once you get your tax return back, crack that envelope open and add to it whatever you've been saving. So now you have your tax return + like 600 to spend, which was for me like $3300.

It's basically like everyone says... it's an expensive game to make your car fast. However in my opinion, it's even more expensive to try and keep up with the 'in' crowd with a new car. Look at your car payment every month. How fast could you rack in the cash if you didn't have to pay that every month?

I guess my theory (don't worry, i'm shutting up after this)... Pay the car off and just keep making payments to yourself in an envelope stuffed away or something. Sit on it for awhile, don't go mod after mod after mod. When you get a lot of money in that envelope, ask yourself if that's really where you wanna put that money... in your car?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:49 PM

like everyone is saying, yea it does if you have deep pockets. but it all depends on what your goals are. if you are wanting to run low 13's or break into the 12's, then no its not really practical for the amount of money it would take. if you want to have fun with your car get involved in autocross. that is what i am doing this spring/summer. you can be competitive still by running in a stock class, as well as improving your driving skills. if you just want to look good, yes it will make a pretty decent show car. get a nice audio system, some wheels and springs, and a body kit if you want. its just all what you want out of the car. i have had this debate a million times in my head. for me being in college, not having alot of cash laying around, it is not worth it to me to get full bolt ons and nitrous, spending more than likely over $2000, and still not be able to run under a 14.5 consistenly. myself, i am going to get involved in autocross, and have alread started on audio and appearance mods.

this is all IMO of course. hopefully i help someone out
Old 03-31-2008, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This entire thread is BS.

The question was pointless and the answers are silly.

Poeple shouldn't start threads like this. It causes unwanted bickering and fighting.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by RedBaseBolt
This entire thread is BS.

The question was pointless and the answers are silly.

Poeple shouldn't start threads like this. It causes unwanted bickering and fighting.
1st sentence... agreed.
2nd sentence... agreed.
3rd sentence... wtf? whos fighting?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bridfi
1st sentence... agreed.
2nd sentence... agreed.
3rd sentence... wtf? whos fighting?
SS boys bashing our motors just cause they have a S/C and we don't apparently... 99% of the LSJ owners I know and meet up with are awesome guys and very supportive of me and my slow ass car. They don't care that I can't afford a car as fast as theirs.

They are friendly and encourage me to mod my car regarless of it being 'slow'. Your car is still your car and you can take pride in anything.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by RedBaseBolt
SS boys bashing our motors just cause they have a S/C and we don't apparently... 99% of the LSJ owners I know and meet up with are awesome guys and very supportive of me and my slow ass car. They don't care that I can't afford a car as fast as theirs.

They are friendly and encourage me to mod my car regarless of it being 'slow'. Your car is still your car and you can take pride in anything.
I support anyone willing to take the time to learn and earn.

Everyone assumes that potential is for HP and Torque. Some have other things on their mind. Fuel economy is top on some people's lists. ok, so im talking out of my ass right now but im sure there are a few.

I barely afford my car now, just a 2.4. No boost. Ooo, the spring weather makes me want boost. i owe too much to even concieve doing anything super at the moment.

But this Isnt about me, i guess i just got sensitive to you saying that ss owners dont support you. If youre a tool and run a straight pipe I wouldnt support you. if youre willing to take the time and build right I dont see why anyone wouldnt support you.

I know very little about the workings of a motor. there are a vast amount of variables to take in to account when building up a vehicle.

I say, have fun and dont be a Craftsman.