2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Dual Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Air Intake?

I would like to try a dual intake in my 06 2.2 It looks like there would be enough space, takin out the stock air filter first. Good idea? Comments? Suggestions?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:47 PM

yeah.. i need to see the finial to really judge it but it might look cool.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Banned

youll get a cell fo shizzle unless its made to meet where the two intakes meet....
Old 02-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Banned

Its not worth it, Wont gain you anything noticable.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:10 PM

it seems wothless
Old 02-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned

Even if you fabbed up the intake you can only stuff so much air through a TB especially a stock TB. Therefore worthless
Old 02-02-2007, 03:27 PM

why?

this is why 2.2 owners never get any aftermarket support

first its "how do I make my 2.2 as loud as possible" and then its a "dual intake" thread...

how many intake & exhaust threads can you possibly make...
Old 02-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IonNinja
why?

this is why 2.2 owners never get any aftermarket support

first its "how do I make my 2.2 as loud as possible" and then its a "dual intake" thread...

how many intake & exhaust threads can you possibly make...
EXACTLY!

I'm ashamed to be a 2.2 owner because of some of the crap the others think of. Seriously do you need a dual air intake? NO

Now I see why the other model cobalts make fun of the 2.2's, its literally nothing but "How can we rice this car out today" type crap

No threads retaining to "How can I got faster" or "Which cams should I get?"
Old 02-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Banned

honestly, i think installing some gtr 35 bages on the doors would result in 7-10 more hp then the dual intake
Old 02-02-2007, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slckrjay
Good idea? Comments? Suggestions?
I looked through your other posts slkrjay, and it looks like you are pretty dead set on modding your LT, but there is a right and a wrong way to go about it. Making a back yard dual intake setup would fall under the "wrong way" category. It's not such a horrible idea, just seems poorly thought out. It would be too difficult to execute cleanly, and then your gains would probably be zero.

I would suggest you save up for the:

Last edited by Pyros777; 02-02-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:50 PM

You guys are asses. Maybe he wants a dual air intake because it is different than what everyone else has...did you ever think of that? I personally think that it would be pretty cool whether or not it has any power gain over a regular intake.

Get over yourself and let the man do what he wants. If we all did the exact same thing to our cars then we wouldnt be custom.

also how is this hindering our ability to get aftermarket support? If anything coming up with new and different ideas would help get us more aftermarket parts.

If you are so ashamed of having a 2.2 because of some people having different tastes than you then **** off and find somewhere else to post.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by silver06cobalt
You guys are asses. Maybe he wants a dual air intake because it is different than what everyone else has...did you ever think of that? I personally think that it would be pretty cool whether or not it has any power gain over a regular intake.

Get over yourself and let the man do what he wants. If we all did the exact same thing to our cars then we wouldnt be custom.

also how is this hindering our ability to get aftermarket support? If anything coming up with new and different ideas would help get us more aftermarket parts.

If you are so ashamed of having a 2.2 because of some people having different tastes than you then **** off and find somewhere else to post.
He asked for opinions and we gave our opinions.

I'm sorry that I get pissed whenever I come into the 2.2 section and see

HOW CAN I MAKE MY COBALT LOUD
DUAL AIR INTAKE
SIDE EXIT EXHAUST

and other such threads about crap.

If you look through the 2.2 section you'll find 75% of the threads are about Air intakes and exhausts...boring

And if you've been around any time at all you see that the 2.2 is becoming a crappy riced out option of the cobalt. Everyone wants to put crap on it. I just saw a cobalt with NISMO accross the windshield and a huge aluminum wing.

Its crap like that that makes the cobalt look like every other riced out 4 banger on the market.

Its fine to be different, but if your going to mod and mod right, do something thats functional
Old 02-02-2007, 04:04 PM

K first of all i know ur pissed but id like to mention that i think side exhaust is sick, raceing perposes only of course. i wouldn't do it to a stock cobalt lol that just be funny
Old 02-02-2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
He asked for opinions and we gave our opinions.

I'm sorry that I get pissed whenever I come into the 2.2 section and see

HOW CAN I MAKE MY COBALT LOUD
DUAL AIR INTAKE
SIDE EXIT EXHAUST

and other such threads about crap.

If you look through the 2.2 section you'll find 75% of the threads are about Air intakes and exhausts...boring

And if you've been around any time at all you see that the 2.2 is becoming a crappy riced out option of the cobalt. Everyone wants to put crap on it. I just saw a cobalt with NISMO accross the windshield and a huge aluminum wing.

Its crap like that that makes the cobalt look like every other riced out 4 banger on the market.

Its fine to be different, but if your going to mod and mod right, do something thats functional
i think you let **** bother you too easy, if he wants to try this, so be it...but theirs no reason to go off like that cause guess what, people will do what they like, maybe some people like the riced out look, some like the lowriderw/big rims look, others like a slightly improved over stock look...
Old 02-02-2007, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If he really wants to try out the dual intake setup then he'll do it regardless of what we say. He asked for comments and suggestions so thats what I gave him.

If he had completed it and everybody ragged on him AFTER it was done, then that would be kinda mean.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned

Exactly, he wanted comments and suggestions, I told him it won't work, you can only shove so much air into a stock TB. ITS NOT WORTH IT

And if you think I get to into it, it might be a little true, but I hate other cobalt owners ragging on the 2.2 because they look at it as the ricey model. But this thread and several others over the past month show just how riced the 2.2' owners make their car. Its disgusting.

And for the record its not only me thinking this way, there have been a few in this thread and several others I talk to regularly that agree
Old 02-02-2007, 05:05 PM

Who gives a **** if it gives him more power over a conventional setup? The thing is he went out of the ordinary and came up with an idea that would set his car apart from the rest rather than just slapping on a regular intake and calling it custom.

The reason i posted about having side exit exhaust is because noone where im from has it and i didnt want to be like everyone else and just slap a fart cannon on my car. I wanted something that was different but still lacked the shitty sound created by a poorly tuned exhaust.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by silver06cobalt
You guys are asses.
Sorry but the 2.2L Intake & Exhaust Forum is getting pretty old now.

I have to visit the 2.0 and 2.4 section to see people doing real performance modifications.

so I guess I have to resort to being an "ass"
Old 02-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IonNinja
Sorry but the 2.2L Intake & Exhaust Forum is getting pretty old now.

I have to visit the 2.0 and 2.4 section to see people doing real performance modifications.

so I guess I have to resort to being an "ass"
Ditto, I post more in the 2.0 and 2.4 sections than the 2.2 because all I see is exhaust, intake, and other crap.

I'm not sorry if I come off as an ass however, what I said stands
Old 02-02-2007, 05:48 PM

Exactly, he wanted comments and suggestions, I told him it won't work, you can only shove so much air into a stock TB. ITS NOT WORTH IT

And if you think I get to into it, it might be a little true, but I hate other cobalt owners ragging on the 2.2 because they look at it as the ricey model. But this thread and several others over the past month show just how riced the 2.2' owners make their car. Its disgusting.

And for the record its not only me thinking this way, there have been a few in this thread and several others I talk to regularly that agree
trust me, i've been one of those trying to do my best to stand up for the 2.2 people, but anybody worth a #@$^ will know better then to judge all owners of (fill in the blank car) the same

Ditto, I post more in the 2.0 and 2.4 sections than the 2.2 because all I see is exhaust, intake, and other crap.

I'm not sorry if I come off as an ass however, what I said stands
i donno what else you guys expect, ours is the econo version,typically people with less $ will buy the ls/base , they typically will also continue to have less money to put into the car, the SS/gt/redline are built more twords the performance minded people, so usually the ones looking to mod a car will start out with the factory fast version

of course theres always those few smart ones that start with the least, inorder to get the most

also dont forget their isnt nearly as much we can do tell we get our hands on some tuning

Last edited by halfj99; 02-02-2007 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-02-2007, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny, I've seen Corvettes with dual intakes and no one calls them stupid. You would have to have a single MAF sensor so the split would have to be before the MAF. Don't know if you would have the room. Try drawing out what your thinking of first to get an idea how you could possibly make it work.

Make it happen, make it work, and then provide pictures. If you post a question and ask for opinions more often then not your going to get negative replies.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned

Maybe if you didnt know Cobalter LS but corvettes come with dual air filters (at least the C6's) therefore throwing on a "dual" intake wouldn't hurt it.

theres a picture of the corvette "dual" intake, its that way because a stock intake actually has the 2 flat filters where the 2 cones sit.

A corvette also has a MUCH bigger Throttle Body to allow much more air into the engine.

Lets compare 4 cylinder intakes to V-8 intakes some more?

The only thing a "dual" intake will do is make it "look good" but if you go for a true COLD AIR you have to fit 2 filters in your bumper and not your engine compartment. If its possible it will be worthless because you won't even see it at a show
Old 02-02-2007, 07:20 PM

man just go for it. if u can fit them in...(i have a rough idea how it might work) then you would be the first that I know with one on a cobalt, and thus a pionner. Don't listen to the guys that say its not for performance, or whats the point, or its Rice, just do it. Ive run out of things to say about these types of people because on this forum it seems the thing to do. "Oh this looks like it would be rice....lets make fun of em." its gettin old. These are new cars so theres going to be lots and lots and LOTS of threads about the same **** because basicly people are too lazy to use the SEARCH button. So heres some advice, if u see a thread thats about something that youve see before, don't throw ur 2 cents in and tell them to go use the search, either give them some good advice or don't say anything at all. For all of you who think there is too many threads about turbos and intakes and exhausts for the 2.2, then tell the mods, cause thats their job....not yours
Old 02-02-2007, 07:26 PM

the guy asked for comments and hell were giving him comments on mcuh of a waste of money and time would be.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cobaltssTH
the guy asked for comments and hell were giving him comments on mcuh of a waste of money and time would be.
God for bid people over look that and get pissed when we call it useless and rice

Quick Reply: Dual Air Intake?