2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Dual Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
Maybe if you didnt know Cobalter LS but corvettes come with dual air filters (at least the C6's) therefore throwing on a "dual" intake wouldn't hurt it.

theres a picture of the corvette "dual" intake, its that way because a stock intake actually has the 2 flat filters where the 2 cones sit.

A corvette also has a MUCH bigger Throttle Body to allow much more air into the engine.

Lets compare 4 cylinder intakes to V-8 intakes some more?

The only thing a "dual" intake will do is make it "look good" but if you go for a true COLD AIR you have to fit 2 filters in your bumper and not your engine compartment. If its possible it will be worthless because you won't even see it at a show
WHAT! A V8 intake is bigger? When did that happen?

There are also aftermarket dual intakes for other models of Corvettes.

Performance wise 2 intakes will be practically worthless and even if he hides them under the fender, he'll know.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you just agreed that 2 intakes won't do ****, yet bitched at everyone when we said that.

And the other cars that have "dual intakes" are also V8's or extremely high horsepower 4 cylinders.

And yea, a V8 intake is bigger, hence why a dual intake is possible to gain performance...******* read up on modding before you post again please
Old 02-02-2007, 07:36 PM

So you just agreed that 2 intakes won't do ****, yet bitched at everyone when we said that.

And the other cars that have "dual intakes" are also V8's or extremely high horsepower 4 cylinders.

And yea, a V8 intake is bigger, hence why a dual intake is possible to gain performance...******* read up on modding before you post again please
My, My, aren't we a bit testy this evening.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:48 PM

If you want a dual intake, then make one. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:48 PM

If you look through the 2.2 section you'll find 75% of the threads are about Air intakes and exhausts...boring
U have a point those two things are getting played out but its not entirly their fault. There isint much for our cars so it like a borken record. Tuning is comming soon so mabe that will sprout somthing different for us to read about.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by 06Pursuit
man just go for it. if u can fit them in...(i have a rough idea how it might work) then you would be the first that I know with one on a cobalt, and thus a pionner. Don't listen to the guys that say its not for performance, or whats the point, or its Rice, just do it. Ive run out of things to say about these types of people because on this forum it seems the thing to do. "Oh this looks like it would be rice....lets make fun of em." its gettin old. These are new cars so theres going to be lots and lots and LOTS of threads about the same **** because basicly people are too lazy to use the SEARCH button. So heres some advice, if u see a thread thats about something that youve see before, don't throw ur 2 cents in and tell them to go use the search, either give them some good advice or don't say anything at all. For all of you who think there is too many threads about turbos and intakes and exhausts for the 2.2, then tell the mods, cause thats their job....not yours
I agree with you but in the case of rally yellow, he's absolutely right. This will not do anything for performance. No matter what, your intake isn't what judges how much air you're getting into your combustion chamber a great deal...hence, why it typically gives a minimal of 5 or so horsepower on a 4 cylinder engine. Your throttle body, your intake manifold, the size of your cylinder head ports, how long your valves stay open during a cycle etc. determine how much air is getting into your engine. Having a "dual intake" still won't determine or even do anything special as far as bringing air in.

I hate to be the devils advocate but I also agree with rally yellow that there are some wierd kind of tech questions coming about to people. I believe that people do what they want to their car but some of the requests and advice people are looking for are just...odd. Why would you want your car as loud as possible? Me and rally know it will just sound terrible and while fun it is to scare people, it's just going to be annoying and eventually annoying to yourself at one point.

I have no problem with new people but Rally does have a point, that's all I'm saying.

Originally Posted by Red06LS
U have a point those two things are getting played out but its not entirly their fault. There isint much for our cars so it like a borken record. Tuning is comming soon so mabe that will sprout somthing different for us to read about.
The problem I'm having is that people know there isn't tuning, fine, but no one is atleast attempting to learn about future aspirations. Like people talk about "I'm going to turbo my 2.2" but no one asks any turbo related questions. I rarely get any PMs from 2.2 owners who are interested in turbocharging in a serious manner or who just want to learn about it.

I don't think people are taking the initiative to learn unless it revolves around their current situation. I find that odd.

Last edited by NJHK; 02-02-2007 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-02-2007, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
The problem I'm having is that people know there isn't tuning, fine, but no one is atleast attempting to learn about future aspirations. Like people talk about "I'm going to turbo my 2.2" but no one asks any turbo related questions. I rarely get any PMs from 2.2 owners who are interested in turbocharging in a serious manner or who just want to learn about it.

I don't think people are taking the initiative to learn unless it revolves around their current situation. I find that odd.
I think because whenever some one says turbo and 2.2 in the same question there is at least a few people franticly typing to say "there is no tuning so there is no reason to turbo!". Ive seen that quite a few times. So its not like people arnt thinking ahead but that they are discouraged form it, in some but not all cases. On a side note, when tuining comes for the 2.2 is that going to hurt the warrantee?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:31 PM

I think because whenever some one says turbo and 2.2 in the same question there is at least a few people franticly typing to say "there is no tuning so there is no reason to turbo!". Ive seen that quite a few times. So its not like people arnt thinking ahead but that they are discouraged form it, in some but not all cases. On a side note, when tuining comes for the 2.2 is that going to hurt the warrantee?
I've seen some people who say "I am just planning ahead of time" but the thing about turbo systems, they can ask a question and not even refer to their engine. Just learning on how turbocharged systems work. Things like that.

Will the tuning hurt the warrantee or a turbo setup?

If you alter your PCM tables and something happends and they find out, yeah, your warranty is gone.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:43 PM

I've seen some people who say "I am just planning ahead of time" but the thing about turbo systems, they can ask a question and not even refer to their engine. Just learning on how turbocharged systems work. Things like that.

Will the tuning hurt the warrantee or a turbo setup?

If you alter your PCM tables and something happends and they find out, yeah, your warranty is gone.
I agree with you 100% that if someone has the slightest intrest in turboing their car what ever it is that they should now how it all works and what options they have. And even things that i never plan on doing to my car like nos, etc i still like to read up and know about it. It cant hurt to know all you can.

Oh and that sucks about tuning because i really want to keep my warantee but tuning is the only other option beyond exhaust and intake. GM should make a stage two reflash for the 2.2 ecu.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:51 PM

I agree with you 100% that if someone has the slightest intrest in turboing their car what ever it is that they should now how it all works and what options they have. And even things that i never plan on doing to my car like nos, etc i still like to read up and know about it. It cant hurt to know all you can.

Oh and that sucks about tuning because i really want to keep my warantee but tuning is the only other option beyond exhaust and intake. GM should make a stage two reflash for the 2.2 ecu.
They would never do that for the fact that the SS/SC is their performance vehicle. It's a base model for a reason (in the eyes of GM). It would be like a Lancer owner complaining about the lack of performance support from Mitsubishi...this is why they have the EVO.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:55 PM

hey hey hey the Cobalt/Ion is WAY faster than the Lancer don't put us in that category

my gf has an auto Lancer ES
Old 02-02-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
hey hey hey the Cobalt/Ion is WAY faster than the Lancer don't put us in that category

my gf has an auto Lancer ES
Maybe the cobalt...I don't know about the Ion...it is a Saturn LOL :P

I <3 your nitrous'd plastic mobile
Old 02-02-2007, 09:03 PM

They would never do that for the fact that the SS/SC is their performance vehicle. It's a base model for a reason (in the eyes of GM). It would be like a Lancer owner complaining about the lack of performance support from Mitsubishi...this is why they have the EVO.
True................
Old 02-02-2007, 09:46 PM

He asked for opinions and we gave our opinions.

I'm sorry that I get pissed whenever I come into the 2.2 section and see

HOW CAN I MAKE MY COBALT LOUD
DUAL AIR INTAKE
SIDE EXIT EXHAUST

and other such threads about crap.

If you look through the 2.2 section you'll find 75% of the threads are about Air intakes and exhausts...boring

And if you've been around any time at all you see that the 2.2 is becoming a crappy riced out option of the cobalt. Everyone wants to put crap on it. I just saw a cobalt with NISMO accross the windshield and a huge aluminum wing.

Its crap like that that makes the cobalt look like every other riced out 4 banger on the market.

Its fine to be different, but if your going to mod and mod right, do something thats functional
Judging by this guys other posts, hes always an ass. Guess its that time of the month. The advice I'd give you dude since you hate so easy on other people is 1) mind your own damn business, its not your car, its his, unless you wanna contribute something constructive, please kindly STFU and go back to your PMS. 2) The only reason you go off so easy on other ppl is cuz you got some major insecurity issues and think taking it out on other ppl is cool. Go use mommys college money to buy a SS if you really hate your 2.2 that much and again, STFU. Kthxbye.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CobaltFan06
Judging by this guys other posts, hes always an ass. Guess its that time of the month. The advice I'd give you dude since you hate so easy on other people is 1) mind your own damn business, its not your car, its his, unless you wanna contribute something constructive, please kindly STFU and go back to your PMS. 2) The only reason you go off so easy on other ppl is cuz you got some major insecurity issues and think taking it out on other ppl is cool. Go use mommys college money to buy a SS if you really hate your 2.2 that much and again, STFU. Kthxbye.
Wow, a freakin noob telling me I'm an ass and yet NEVER contributed to the thread. He asked for opinions you *******. If you'd actually see all my posts i'm only an "ass" when people come up with stupid excuses for mods. Why don't you go back and reread how many established members agreed with me.

And why the **** would you even comment? Seriously. Go **** yourself kid. Mommies money hell, my entire college and tools have all come out of my pocket. Why dont you go suck another ******* ****.

You've been on this site an entire month, so go judge your own self you idiot.

Why don't you try to contribute to the site.

And I'm not buying an SS i'm modding my LS to past what anyone in here has tried. I've already got a procharger kit lined up. Thanks for talking out your ass
Old 02-02-2007, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltFan06
Sorry but the guy asked for peoples opinions.

As far as what he's saying, it's somewhat true.

This is a public forum and people can speak their mind...don't tell someone to shut the **** up cause it's not what you want to hear. Either debate him or let it be.

And people, please stop this bullshit about "mommy and daddy" when it comes to cars and money. It's ******* old and people who say they wouldn't take mommy or daddys money for a vehicle is a damn fool or they are full of it.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:12 PM

First lets all calm down. I know what i posted and i DID want opinions, and rallyyellow gave his opinion. Yea it was blunt but i never asked for anything else. Thanks. If it wont be a performance upgrade over a regular intake (also wanted to know) then it may not be worth it TO ME, because yes i am looking for performance. But i DO want the individuality so if there is NO downside to the setup then i might give it a try. As for being taken seriously in the eyes of other people, i am very self-confident and DONT REALLY CARE about others opinions unless i ask for it. If people want to think my car looks rice then thats their problem, im not going to change what i want to please other people. I do agree, however that people DONT search as much as they should of. I personally didn't post this in another intake thread(which lookin back maybe i should of) because i thought the idea of a dual intake was original and hadn't seen anyone with it. NJHK, i did read your post on turbos and i am always lookin for as much information about my 2.2 as i can get, which is why i am really grateful for you and Halfcent who also is incredibly helpful. We dont have to go at each other's throats for no reason. I appreciate you guys defending my artistic views but an opinion is an opinion and advice is advice. I either use it or not. That's why i love this site. Thanks guys.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slckrjay
First lets all calm down. I know what i posted and i DID want opinions, and rallyyellow gave his opinion. Yea it was blunt but i never asked for anything else. Thanks. If it wont be a performance upgrade over a regular intake (also wanted to know) then it may not be worth it TO ME, because yes i am looking for performance. But i DO want the individuality so if there is NO downside to the setup then i might give it a try. As for being taken seriously in the eyes of other people, i am very self-confident and DONT REALLY CARE about others opinions unless i ask for it. If people want to think my car looks rice then thats their problem, im not going to change what i want to please other people. I do agree, however that people DONT search as much as they should of. I personally didn't post this in another intake thread(which lookin back maybe i should of) because i thought the idea of a dual intake was original and hadn't seen anyone with it. NJHK, i did read your post on turbos and i am always lookin for as much information about my 2.2 as i can get, which is why i am really grateful for you and Halfcent who also is incredibly helpful. We dont have to go at each other's throats for no reason. I appreciate you guys defending my artistic views but an opinion is an opinion and advice is advice. I either use it or not. That's why i love this site. Thanks guys.
Your welcome
Old 02-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by silver06cobalt
You guys are asses. Maybe he wants a dual air intake because it is different than what everyone else has...did you ever think of that? I personally think that it would be pretty cool whether or not it has any power gain over a regular intake.

Get over yourself and let the man do what he wants. If we all did the exact same thing to our cars then we wouldnt be custom.

also how is this hindering our ability to get aftermarket support? If anything coming up with new and different ideas would help get us more aftermarket parts.

If you are so ashamed of having a 2.2 because of some people having different tastes than you then **** off and find somewhere else to post.
As a aftermarket manufacturer for the cobalts/ions. It really only shows me that everybodies interested in intakes and exhaust. If everybodies interested in just those two product types, it makes me not want to develop anything else. (Cams, Procharger kits, turbo kits, etc).

But...I know better :P
Old 02-02-2007, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by slckrjay
It's no problem. If you need any help at all, PM me and I'll hit you back up.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh geez guys calm down. Lets keep this civil.

BTW, did you all read about that Cobalt on HCI. A guy got it to 1000+hp, and it was a 2.2L. Very nice, and street legal too! I forget, but I think he had a pro-charger on it.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:32 PM

Thats a great idea.... and while u are at it, buy one of those CO2 Nitrous Kits off eBay. Ya know the ones that have the BB Gun size catridges.... lol...

o and dont forget to through some kerosene in with ur oil... u'll gain a good 10-20 hp....lol

later
Old 02-03-2007, 02:10 AM

When I saw the title of this thread, the first thing that popped into my head was a picture I saw of a Honda with PCV pipping coming out of the hood, over the windshield with a T splitter on the roof of the car with the cone filters hanging over the sides. Wish I could find it!

But anywho, if it looks proffesionaly done with no duct tape involved I'd say go for it and try it. Its not something I'd do with my car but it be interesting to see anyway.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:16 PM

Many of yous are saying that there is no point of a dual air intake except for on big V-8s but why then are there aftermarket dual air intakes available for the naturally aspiratted 2.4L Saturn Sky
Old 02-04-2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by BlackLS
Many of yous are saying that there is no point of a dual air intake except for on big V-8s but why then are there aftermarket dual air intakes available for the naturally aspiratted 2.4L Saturn Sky
Because people will by items that look ub3r c00l...

Quick Reply: Dual Air Intake?