2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

ebay intake quality....or lack there of

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look at my vbgarage and then repost that dumb ****. i have an injen intake brought from turbotechracing back in 2006 right after i got my car.

i know a buddy who purchased this jank as pipe and i posted it to prove that the ebay crap is just that. i was making a point and educating a few members. neither of us would use this **** on our cars, get real.

does that look like a weapon r intake? did anyone post anything about weapon r?

Last edited by Spanky's Monkey; 08-02-2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-02-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazmanian_Dvl
Ummm I'd bet there's more than 1 rotten banana on eBay
I know, im just saying, I put a 60dollar ebay intake on my stage 2, threw a cel, ran like it had 100 hp, it was cause if the shitty filter. Put a 50 dollar K&N and it runs awesome. so for bout a 100 bucks get a good intake. I duno, i hear ya though, a lot of crap out there, i guess you can take your chances...
Old 08-02-2008, 03:30 PM

Sorry I have a problem taking chances with a $25,000 car
Old 08-02-2008, 03:34 PM

thats dumb, your not taking your chances with the car, your taking chances with a 60 dollar intake, if it looks like **** like this one then you obviously dont put it on. Mine was perfect except for a low flowing shitty filter, so that fixed it, I duno how that means taking a chance on hurting your car?
Old 08-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Exactly... Our point, you spend that much on a car, and cheap out on a part to save $100? It just does not make sense...

Originally Posted by dubbleduecer
thats dumb, your not taking your chances with the car, your taking chances with a 60 dollar intake, if it looks like **** like this one then you obviously dont put it on. Mine was perfect except for a low flowing shitty filter, so that fixed it, I duno how that means taking a chance on hurting your car?
Oh but you are, look at those burrs, how would you like a piece of that in your engine, and have a damaged engine, that will cost you $1,000+, is it worth it? Also what if the intake did not have a air fuel flow test and it ran really lean and blew up the engine? None of these are tested, that is why if you get a Injen or K&N you know you wont have issues. These guys just close up and start a new name, just like Bill stated....

Last edited by TurboTechRacing; 08-02-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-02-2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Exactly... Our point, you spend that much on a car, and cheap out on a part to save $100? It just does not make sense...

Oh but you are, look at those burrs, how would you like a piece of that in your engine, and have a damaged engine, that will cost you $1,000+, is it worth it? Also what if the intake did not have a air fuel flow test and it ran really lean and blew up the engine? None of these are tested, that is why if you get a Injen or K&N you know you wont have issues. These guys just close up and start a new name, just like Bill stated....
Im dumb. coming with personal insults now.. nice. i was just saying his ideology was dumb. and i stated in that same post if an intake looked like the one the OP put on here you obviously wouldn't put that on your car...we dont have dance dance revolution soooo........ your dumb
Old 08-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've tried stating this argument before (that ebay stuff = garbage) but I just got flamed and told how "all intakes are just aluminum pipes....how different can they be?" Well, here is evidence on just how shithouse they can be.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:53 PM

the only problem i see with this is that k&n and injen charge WAY to much for there products...in my opinion no intake is worth 200+ dollars...i dont care what kind it is. its funny that the two people who are making the biggest point about this are two of the most expensive vendors on css.net...now im not bashing your companys...but still...your making your point to try to make sales. there is nothing wrong with the ebay intake as long as u take the time to A.deburr it with a dremel, and B. take the time to make sure it fits 100% if u do both you will be fine and it will just as much air as the k&n and the injen. when it comes down to it..its just a peice of pipe.

Originally Posted by WhiteSSBalt
I've tried stating this argument before (that ebay stuff = garbage) but I just got flamed and told how "all intakes are just aluminum pipes....how different can they be?" Well, here is evidence on just how shithouse they can be.
thats one shitty intake out of how many? every company has a lemon every once in a while.

Last edited by kingg5; 08-02-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-02-2008, 05:37 PM

Damn that looks absolutely horrible
I could not feel safe with that intake in my car when driving over 1000 km. out of town
I'm sure I could make myself a better CAI then that with my tools here at home

Just look at this Cold Air Intake on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.ca/2005-2008-Chevy-C...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-02-2008, 07:01 PM

haha well i've actually been looking into BlingLights

Supposedly they make SOME good products(ie there entire light line) from what I've been reading.

supposedly that intake gives a good tone to the engine, but from what i read a decrease in mpg and butt dyno is noticed. I saw a video of it in action, and it's obvious to me what the prob is.....even at idle @ the tip it sucks as hard as a vacuum cleaner's nozzle does. which tells me....NOT very free flowing. The combination of that and the dryer tubing creating a lot more "bends" makes it not so great(see my reference to bends later)

although they do offer this: http://www.blinglights.biz/proddetai...prod=short-ram
but i dunno about that even....could just swap out it's filter.

i was kinda feeling the advanced jdm intake though.

although i kinda gotta disagree about the "you get what you pay for" mentality....as it's not always the case. like rims. enkei vs tsw....... enkei is the mid-line brand that holds up better than tsw. or tires. bf goodrich kd's and kdw's vs perelli equivalent. or computers. just because it says dell on the computer box or microsoft on the OS, it doesn't mean you've gotten the best. we could keep going with this, but i feel that the point has been made.

i've always found myself a critique of the cheap, fast, reliable statements. cause it's always been the people with too much money on their hands saying these things around me. i'll admit there is a certain level of truth, but at the same time there is always the possibility of buying a name, not performance. It simply makes no sense to pay about 400 bucks just to get an extra 10hp. Thats paying $40 for each horsepower. to me at least, it's not worth it.

As for an intake, it really wouldn't be THAT hard to make one in all honesty. Less bends, Less aggressive bends, a free flowing filter and the location you choose for placement are the key things to worry about. This is the reason why Short Ram Intakes typically have better throttle response. The problem with SRI's come with the heat of the engine bay.

Now as it's been pointed out, the big name brands typically do testing. As to how much testing they really do nobody knows. You always hear about the exceptional gains made on one car, not about the most minimal gain's. I mean if I buy a intake for my cobalt, i could give a **** less how much of a gain on average they saw in testing on cars with OBVIOUS shortcomings with the stock intakes. I wanna know most of all about my model vehicle in particular, and if not I wanna know what the smallest gains were and what car those minimal gains were obtained from. Intake manufacturers would never dare make a list of 50 different models and show each vehicles response, because it always varies and somebody may see it don't do **** for them thus losing the sale for the brand.

I'm not doubting K&N, or any of the top lines necessarily, but if you wanna make a sale....show what it does on our stock vehicle.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kingg5
the only problem i see with this is that k&n and injen charge WAY to much for there products...in my opinion no intake is worth 200+ dollars...i dont care what kind it is. its funny that the two people who are making the biggest point about this are two of the most expensive vendors on css.net...now im not bashing your companys...but still...your making your point to try to make sales. there is nothing wrong with the ebay intake as long as u take the time to A.deburr it with a dremel, and B. take the time to make sure it fits 100% if u do both you will be fine and it will just as much air as the k&n and the injen. when it comes down to it..its just a peice of pipe.

thats one shitty intake out of how many? every company has a lemon every once in a while.
Do you know how much the equipment is to CNC mandrel bend? It is well over $300,000 for 1 machine and some dies.... Devide that by even 1000 intakes, and it is still more than you want to think about. So how can you say it is to much, the ebay filters are also junk. The best out there IMO is the AEM dry flow, which NO ONE can re make as it has a pentent design for 7 years! Plus if it was not for Injen or K&N who would china copy? HMMM no one, as they do no research, so they have no expence.

Not only that but there is a HUGE difference in china steel, or aluminum in this case, compared to USA made material.

You say we are the two most expensive vendors.... I would like to 100% disagree, we price match so how can we be the most expensive (we will be the same or lower than EVERYONE else) You just have to PM us a link or two, and we will match or beat it. Pretty simple huh?

If you compare us to Ebay, well yeah we are more, but when you have an issue as a customer of ours, we will be there to support you on the product or any issues you have. Ebay will ignore you... (as they made their money and dont care)
Old 08-02-2008, 08:35 PM

guess someone just got owned.

i didn't start this thread to turn it into a flame war or some half cocked attempt to assault our local vendors. if anyone still feels comfortable buying their wares off ebay so be it but don't expect the rest of us to sit idlely by as you insult our purchase desicions when they are warranted due to circumstance.

Last edited by Spanky's Monkey; 08-02-2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-02-2008, 08:41 PM

personally i have the JDM intake on my car and so far the only thing i've noticed that its changed is at idle my maf sensor reading varies between 2.70g/s to 3.10g/s and no i have not had any codes or anything set. other then that its been fine. yes i would have liked to get something else but this has been doing just fine for me. now thats not to say that other vehicles will behave the same just my experience. and i've had the intake on my car for over a month now so everything has had plenty of time to recalibrate to the mod
Old 08-02-2008, 08:55 PM

Do you know how much the equipment is to CNC mandrel bend? It is well over $300,000 for 1 machine and some dies.... Devide that by even 1000 intakes, and it is still more than you want to think about. So how can you say it is to much, the ebay filters are also junk. The best out there IMO is the AEM dry flow, which NO ONE can re make as it has a pentent design for 7 years! Plus if it was not for Injen or K&N who would china copy? HMMM no one, as they do no research, so they have no expence.

Not only that but there is a HUGE difference in china steel, or aluminum in this case, compared to USA made material.

You say we are the two most expensive vendors.... I would like to 100% disagree, we price match so how can we be the most expensive (we will be the same or lower than EVERYONE else) You just have to PM us a link or two, and we will match or beat it. Pretty simple huh?

If you compare us to Ebay, well yeah we are more, but when you have an issue as a customer of ours, we will be there to support you on the product or any issues you have. Ebay will ignore you... (as they made their money and dont care)
...300 000 for a mandrel bender? it may be that much but obviously the companys producing these ebay intakes have the machines....and any company can copy the aem dryflow...its no differnt then anything else that is made knock off...i was in no way bashing your company...infact i like ttr and hahn...so just as i said before..im not bashing u...i just look at it like this...if u have the money to buy the "brand name intake" then do it..for those of us who have a limited budget..teh ebay intake is 100
% fine and it will do no damage to your car as long as u take the steps that i outlined in my last post...ie. deburring the inside with a dremel (takes 2 min) and taking the time to make sure u have everything lined up...and the company taht i bought my intake off of has never ignored me..and he has been on ebay for like 7 or 8 years. and i have bought numerous parts from them ...the shipping is less then half of yours and its twice as fast and i dont get dinged with taxs and duty...
Old 08-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kingg5
...300 000 for a mandrel bender? it may be that much but obviously the companys producing these ebay intakes have the machines.... Yes but they are only getting paid in china about $1.40 and hour and YOU are supporting them which is causing the USA dollar to go down in value(enough said there we are not getting into political topics) and any company can copy the aem dryflow... Yes they could but being it is a pantent they (AEM) will sue that company for a very large amount. These companies know this so they wont do it. its no differnt then anything else that is made knock off...i was in no way bashing your company...infact i like ttr and hahn...so just as i said before..im not bashing u...i just look at it like this...if u have the money to buy the "brand name intake" then do it..for those of us who have a limited budget..teh ebay intake is 100% fine and it will do no damage to your car as long as u take the steps that i outlined in my last post...ie. deburring the inside with a dremel (takes 2 min) and taking the time to make sure u have everything lined up...and the company taht i bought my intake off of has never ignored me..and he has been on ebay for like 7 or 8 years. and i have bought numerous parts from them ...the shipping is less then half of yours and its twice as fast and i dont get dinged with taxs and duty...
Sounds like you have a good intake, but without ever trying a name brand intake, I dont think I would bash them (even in means of the price), as you dont know "what you could have had". Bottom line the quality is better and you get what you pay for. Support china all you want, just make sure you are also ready in the future to have them lead the world. As they go stronger and we (USA/Canada) grow weaker.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spanky's Monkey
dude brandons good peeps i raced him out in the park forest area and got my ass kicked.

i got injen buddy that **** would never took my car not even the trunk
What in the hell were you trying to say?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Banned

He was saying that he doesnt even want to put the box of parts in his trunk.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:19 AM

I ALMOST made the mistake of posting without reading your words. I was about to say what do you ******* expect from eBay?

The scratches on the inside I can deal with. But the MAF sensor...ehhh. Filter that is a given to replace that thing.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by YzRider452
He was saying that he doesnt even want to put the box of parts in his trunk.
QFT.

i was typing and holding a conversation with the wife. sorry about the confusion, geez.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:49 AM

TTR just became my fav. supporting vendor.. now i just need money:-)
Old 08-03-2008, 01:03 AM

I personally have the ebay intake and when i first got it i compared it to my buddys K&n and the piping looks identical none of the **** like in the op's pics, maybe i just got lucky. Would prefer injen or aem, but im a 19year old kid who works two jobs to pay off his car,apartment,insurance and college so i dont have the extra 200 bucks to buy injen when i spent only 50 for mine
Old 08-03-2008, 02:38 AM

I highlighted this in red because I think people skipped over it and it needs repeated until they hear it in their sleep! Just because something looks the same doesn't mean it is the same. Who would you rather have making parts for your $25,000 car...a trained machinist or a 12 year old kid making $1.40 an hour in a sweat shop in Taiwan?
Old 08-03-2008, 03:19 AM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TT is my fav vendor, even if i have ignored there advice a few times , i have tried the GMPP intake before, it was ok, no diffrence made really, i got a good 2 ponies out of it...i tried the custom route, no diffrent than the gmpp, stayed the same...and now i have the JDM intake with a KnN filter, same thing, only showed 2hp gain...if you want to speak to someone who has bought **** just to try it out...thats me, i bought a OBX header, just to try it out...i bought lsj header dp exhaust, just to try it out...i went custom dp, to try it out, and now i have a vibrant performance header and dp, megan exhaust(wich will soon be replaced with a greddy muffler), and finally, i will be selling my JDM intake soon, i am getting the KnN...oh and BTW...a couple scratches arent going to affect this car much...hell i yielded 2 hp gain anyway, any power lost will not be a noticeable/documentable amount...

PS-i do dyno my car after every mod...

TTR FTMFW im getting my intake from you guys
Old 08-03-2008, 08:05 AM

You never really helped me when I got a crappy lookin Injen intake from you.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
must be a knock off, my eBay intake i had was flawless and AEM quilaty so please...let use compare it to AEM because some of us dont have a knock-off of a knock off

Quick Reply: ebay intake quality....or lack there of