2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

ebay intake quality....or lack there of

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Sounds like you have a good intake, but without ever trying a name brand intake, I dont think I would bash them (even in means of the price), as you dont know "what you could have had". Bottom line the quality is better and you get what you pay for. Support china all you want, just make sure you are also ready in the future to have them lead the world. As they go stronger and we (USA/Canada) grow weaker.
i have had brand name intakes...infact on my 89 mustang i had a K&N intake and on my beater civic hatch i had an aem on it and my blazer still has a k&n intake on it...so i have had brand name and i can tellu without a shadow of a doubt my ebay intake is just as good as those.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:31 PM

TTR I think we are fighting a losing battle here
Old 08-03-2008, 01:46 PM

Hey look on the bright side...when they get metal shavings in their motor or blow it up cause it's running too lean they'll hopfully come to you to but parts to rebuild their motor...
Old 08-03-2008, 01:53 PM

Look, if I had the money, I would probably buy brand name "WOW!" products!

Sometimes on ebay you run into some good **** for cheap, and other times you run into the stuff that started this whole thread.

Point is, for bolt-on's I don't mind trusting a no-name as long as it looks good and in the end I see dyno results. If I got an intake off of ebay and went out to a dyno shop and saw lower numbers it'd be pretty obvious that I would immediately be swapping it back for stock and looking into one that's been proven.

There is a reason some people piece together their exhausts custom for instance. It can be a cheaper and an equally effective way of getting what you want at times rather than buying a pre-fab setup.

I have no quarrel with TTR, in fact I'm planning to make a purchase or two from them in November. I can tell you it won't be an intake or exhaust though. Not because I have heard bad things, quite the opposite rather, I am just a firm believer that with some parts cheap can be just as good as expensive. Intake and exhaust being two of those things. If I wasn't 3 months out from paying off my previous debt's I'd be buying stuff and providing dyno results of what I see.

I am rather curious though, why not have someone in that area provide TTR their car so we can get a part for part dyno reading of what each of their products actually does on a cobalt. That way there are no questions, and if somebody see's a 3hp/10lbs gain on their ebay intake w/ good filter but sees that the Injen provides 10hp/10lbs, the K&N provides 5hp/12lbs, and the Fujita provides 10hp/19lbs, their chances of upgrading would be much greater.

I dunno, I've been developing a business plan and this was one of the key concepts behind it, proven advertised power. If I wanna start offering Mazda 3 CAI's/Headers/Exhausts the shop would grab a Mazda 3 and do the tests of individual and combo'd parts. Then the shop would sell the products with full descriptions of what they really do etc, as proven by dyno. Rather than say....well the manufacturer says....the shop would be able to say WE KNOW WHAT THIS DOES 100%.

And hell while I'm at it, I remember a day quite clearly when Megan was a **** product. Now look at em. Honda's everywhere riding on Megan stuff, and it's called GOOD now!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:01 PM

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for an as I said before I'm not taking the chances of some POS eBay product from some no name outfit in Taiwan who can't even place their ad in proper English destroying my car.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So, does this apply to the JDM intake as well?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:27 PM

MP81, the advanced JDM one is fine. Just put a good filter on it. And as always, no matter where u get your intake from, look inside and ensure no shavings exist, and if they do, take care of em.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:31 PM

The quality looks to be somewhat better with them and the addition of a quality filter which you would have to buy since from what I've been told they don't come with one would be another plus over the eBay intakes.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
The JDM intake seems to be good, only 1 thing:

Support china all you want, just make sure you are also ready in the future to have them lead the world. As they grow stronger and we (USA/Canada) grow weaker. Right now China/Tiwan work at $1.40 an hour, as their government is making the money. USA companies are having a hard time even getting steel now, as China is consuming it all. By making purchases that support China, 10+ years from now, be prepared to work for less $ in the USA/Canada, and have China manufacture everything. You might not feel this way now, but just wait and see, the day is coming. This is why the USA put out the stimulus checks, is to get the USA money in circulation again (within the USA).

So if you are okay with not being able to have a job in the future, or one that does not pay well, then go with China made items.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:38 PM

Support china all you want, just make sure you are also ready in the future to have them lead the world. As they go stronger and we (USA/Canada) grow weaker. Right now China/Tiwan work at $1.40 an hour, as their government is making the money. USA companies are having a hard time even getting steel now, as China is consuming it all. By making purchases that support China, 10+ years from now, be prepared to work for less $ in the USA/Canada, and have China manufacture everything. You might not feel this way now, but just wait and see, the day is coming. This is why the USA put out the stimulus checks, is to get the USA money in circulation again.

So if you are okay with not being able to have a job in the future, or one that does not pay well, then go with China made items.
ROLF!!!

i jus herd this speech from my pops...lmao

this very true ppl...

x2

and a free bump
Old 08-03-2008, 02:41 PM

^^^Agreed
Old 08-03-2008, 02:52 PM

Support china all you want, just make sure you are also ready in the future to have them lead the world. As they grow stronger and we (USA/Canada) grow weaker. Right now China/Tiwan work at $1.40 an hour, as their government is making the money. USA companies are having a hard time even getting steel now, as China is consuming it all. By making purchases that support China, 10+ years from now, be prepared to work for less $ in the USA/Canada, and have China manufacture everything. You might not feel this way now, but just wait and see, the day is coming. This is why the USA put out the stimulus checks, is to get the USA money in circulation again (within the USA).

well im sorry that the worlds greatest most powerful nation is having problems...here in canada everything is fine..there is tons of jobs and i have no problem with sending a bit of money to china.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:54 PM

Kingg I'm not even going to dignify that with a response since this is not a political thread. if you want to have that conversation start a thread and we can go back and forth all day...
Old 08-03-2008, 03:03 PM

Yeah, I hate China.

But it's really the money thing, right now. I mean, I have the money to get a brand-name thing, but I really need to spend the majority of my money on fixing my Camaro.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by kingg5
well im sorry that the worlds greatest most powerful nation is having problems...here in canada everything is fine..there is tons of jobs and i have no problem with sending a bit of money to china.
If we go down, you and most of the world will go down.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:07 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by YzRider452
Luckly i already got that Aem tho.

I wanna race Brandon, We would be Dead even.
Originally Posted by 06BrandonSS
Whats up dude, I'm right around Steger/Chicago Heights area, close to 394 and Sauk Trail. We would be damn close, you ran a bit faster times than I did but on a better track. After I get my front mount and header/dp in I'm gonna take a Friday off work and go to 66.
In ignoring all the other comments and how the thread twisted and changed and stuff, Brandon don't you dare leave me out of this! I live right next to him, I want to go too!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_Balt
If we go down, you and most of the world will go down.
i dont agree with that..i am not a american hater...i like the states..hell i spend all of my vacation time down south...but if u go to just about any foreign country...ask who they hate...canada or the united states...well u kow what the answer will be..and its not canada...no offense but if the united states is so powerful why are yah all worried about china taking over? lol and thats the end of my political ranting haha
Old 08-03-2008, 03:26 PM

Not A Political Thread!!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:35 PM

scratch what i just said. no stress
Old 08-03-2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by kingg5
i dont agree with that..i am not a american hater...i like the states..hell i spend all of my vacation time down south...but if u go to just about any foreign country...ask who they hate...canada or the united states...well u kow what the answer will be..and its not canada...no offense but if the united states is so powerful why are yah all worried about china taking over? lol and thats the end of my political ranting haha
I never said I was worried about China taking over lol.

/politics.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:08 PM

lol i was talkin about aaron at ttr...hes worried about china takin over the world...i mean seriously if ur that worried aaron..join the military so u can help do something about it...
Old 08-03-2008, 05:17 PM

Okay, you guys are getting way off topic now...perhaps you should continue this in a PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:17 PM

You guys do realize that the Chinese already have the ability to absouletly crush our economy with one simple request.

After the depression and world war II, the United States starting selling US Treasury bonds. Well the majority of the US citizens were struggling to make ends meet and nobody purchased them. So the US said lets sell them internationally... smart move.

China holds like 11 trillion dollars an US bonds. All they would need to do is ask to cash them all out.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BACK ON TOPIC post here => psh what u talkin about foo..that intake looks freaken amazing install that **** quick!.....................................
Old 08-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MP81
Okay, you guys are getting way off topic now...perhaps you should continue this in a PM.
Agreed, back on topic.

Quick Reply: ebay intake quality....or lack there of