2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

ECU management NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ECU management NOW!

Ok people, we need to get serious here. So far NO ONE has a management system for the Cobalts L61 engine. The 2.0 and the 2.4 have one, but nothing for the 2.2L!

We need to get a product! HP Tuners, AEM, Greddy, none of them have anything for this motor installed in the Cobalt.

I understand that it is a completely new computer setup. But it has been out for almost 2 years now and still no software?

I know there are turbo charged Cobalts out there with 2.2L engines. But none of them are street legal. They all use stand alone management units that discard the factory ECU. If I'm wrong, show me the actual car!

I need to know how to convince the people that got the ECU's on the 2.0 and the 2.4 cracked to start working on the damn 2.2! Who are they? I want names, email addresses, phone numbers. Actual people that I can talk to and learn why this set up is such a tough nut to crack.

Last edited by Halfcent; 05-22-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get 'em Halfcent
Old 05-22-2006, 09:57 PM

Since the 2.0 and 2.4 have been done, maybe somebody is working on one as we speak.

Look at the bright side though, there are intakes, exhaust and headers right now. Back 10 years ago, I couldn't even get a drop in K&N for a 3rd gen J-body at the same point in it's life cycle as the Cobalt is now.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed
Old 05-22-2006, 10:42 PM

Werd
Old 05-22-2006, 11:04 PM

i agree
Old 05-22-2006, 11:31 PM

the reason that it's hard to crack is that it's meant to be. similar to VW the newer GM cars are made to be hard to spoof. the SS' are a little easier because it's got more demand for the ECU work so companies are more likely to want to try.

honestly, ECU tuning is a double edged sword, it may seem like "free power" but there is a reason that GM did what they did, if it was just an easy way to make more juice they would have. cars have to be made to take whatever some moron may do as far as cheap gas, clogged filters, dirty enviroments, etc. the general idea seems to be that the 2.2 has a lot of power just hidden in it, but i don't think that's really the case. on most modern cars, the power increase due to ECU work and high octane gasoline is approx 10% that's 14hp and 15 ft/lbs on a 2.2 assuming all else is stock (most ECU flashers rec that you keep the car otherwise stock while an ECU tune shop won't care). that doesn't seem to me to be the kind of thing where i'd want them to rush it and risk ruining my car that's not paid for yet.

the truth is, the ECU is very good at dealing with just about any "normal" mod a person can make. add an intake, it'll adjust. add an exhaust, it'll adjust etc. (it's not the ECU that gives CELs with a lot of intake kits, it's the MAF not being able to either read the data or it being hit at the wrong angle there ARE high-perf MAFs that exhist)
Old 05-23-2006, 12:55 AM
I'm old school

No, no, your missing the point. I don't want to tune my ECU normally aspirated. I have a custom built powertrain in my Cobalt waiting for a high boost turbo charger to be installed, and nobody can do it yet because the no one has an ECU tuner for this particular car. It is presently impossible to run boost on the stock ECU.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by joeworkstoohard
on most modern cars, the power increase due to ECU work and high octane gasoline is approx 10% that's 14hp and 15 ft/lbs on a 2.2 assuming all else is stock
Am I missing the bad part there? Its probably also adjusting your powerband and giving you more power sooner and possibly a little longer (7K rev limit). Multiply that with simple bolt ons and you've got a pretty decent gain.

As said above though, the need for tuning is not really for N/A apps although it wouldn't hurt. People would just like to people to run boost on these cars without having to trick the ECU or through piggy backs.

I personally wouldn't mind an N/A tune that is still nitrous safe so that I'd be able to get the most out of my mods...and bump that govenor up a little so I don't have to worry about hitting that on the street every now and then. Hell if I still make power at redline bumping that up slightly wouldn't hurt. Its all about giving people options to get the most out of their vehicles.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:28 AM

those are both really good points. and in both cases we're talking about mods outside of normal. most people don't roll with NO^2 or a supercharger.

this may be slightly off topic, but does anyone have any close up photos of the MAF sensor and it's connector? ideally a pin out as well, i'm wondering if a wider flow rate model out of a larger engined GM car would stop all those CELs people are seeing.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:30 AM
Premium Member

Unfortunately the E16A Ecm used in the 2.2 Cobalts and Ions is a bit of an orphan.(Only cars that use it)

I spent a bunch of time attempting to identify a potential solution that would allow us to adapt/patch the wiring to either the P12 used on the LSJ or the E67 (2.4) but ran into a major snag when it came to the ignition.Even if you swapped over the COP the issue was major differences in crank triggering. Maybe If you switched to the 2.0L or 2.4 crank with the 58X reluctor, I think it could be done. But then you would need the LSJ flywheel (different bolt pattern on the crank) and then the clutch relese distance is different etc etc etc

Maybe there's a way to have the 2.2 crank machined to allow the mounting of the 58X reluctor?

The guys at HPT have indicated they might consider looking at it, but it's on the back-burner from hell as far as I can see. (again due to the limited application of the ECM)
Wish I had better news
WopOnTour
Old 05-23-2006, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by WopOnTour
Unfortunately the E16A Ecm used in the 2.2 Cobalts and Ions is a bit of an orphan.(Only cars that use it)

I spent a bunch of time attempting to identify a potential solution that would allow us to adapt/patch the wiring to either the P12 used on the LSJ or the E67 (2.4) but ran into a major snag when it came to the ignition.Even if you swapped over the COP the issue was major differences in crank triggering. Maybe If you switched to the 2.0L or 2.4 crank with the 58X reluctor, I think it could be done. But then you would need the LSJ flywheel (different bolt pattern on the crank) and then the clutch relese distance is different etc etc etc

Maybe there's a way to have the 2.2 crank machined to allow the mounting of the 58X reluctor?

The guys at HPT have indicated they might consider looking at it, but it's on the back-burner from hell as far as I can see. (again due to the limited application of the ECM)
Wish I had better news
WopOnTour
that i've kinda gathered. i don't mean the computer itself, just the MAF. i read all these complaints with the car reporting too lean which says to me that the MAF is either misreading or cannot deal with the higher volume of air (probably due to larger diameter tubing... which would be a big design flaw for the CAI)
Old 05-23-2006, 02:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your best bet is HP Tuners...

Unfortunately, the Cobalts having 2 higher badgings and leaving the base models behind doesn't help at all. They supported the 2.2 ECOTECs in the J-Bodies cause they saw the demand and originally, the Cobalts weren't really out yet when they started to begin the project.

If you can start a petition as far as names, how much you've invested in your car and what type of work you have done and send it to HP Tuners, that will show them that there is a market. Other than that...either run an FMU or Standalone.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:41 AM

Petition starts now:

Car: 2006 Cobalt Ls Sedan 5-spd
Mods: Painted mirror covers, GMPP exhaust with an ss/sc tip, stereo
Future mods: Nitrous, intake, headers, new catalytic conveter, GM 16' in factory rims on order, short throw shifter, and few other small things...

Now someone else follow suit so hopefully we can get somebody attention that we are serious!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm old school

A petition won't do us any good. We aren't addressing grievences to the government here. I'm just looking for a REAL solution to boosting the car.

NJHK, give us an example of an FMU or piggy back that would actually work on this car. I haven't found one yet.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Halfcent
A petition won't do us any good. We aren't addressing grievences to the government here. I'm just looking for a REAL solution to boosting the car.

NJHK, give us an example of an FMU or piggy back that would actually work on this car. I haven't found one yet.
I agree about the petition. Even if HPT considers going after the E16A, based on their time-lines historically, it would be 6 months to a year before anything could be released.A poll thread in the 4cyl section on the HPT forum couldnt hurt though.

Running anoter fuel line and converting the fuel system to a "return" type (eg w/ 2002 JBody fuel rail) would be about the only potential FMU solution. Build book discusses doing this in the Phase 5 section.
WOT
Old 05-23-2006, 03:49 PM

Actually that's what the J-body guys did about a year or so ago and that helped convince HP Tuners to support us.

If you really want to take the initiative, go on their forum and discuss it with them.

As far as an FMU, Hahn will probably use the Cartech FMU with their Turbo Kits when they are released...you can look into that one.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Get low

i second halfcent
Old 05-26-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm old school

Some news...

I have been talking with HP Tuners via their web site forum, and it appears they will be making us a product. Apparently, they already support the transmission controller. They expect to begin working on our engine controller in about 2 months.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:17 PM

tranny controller doesnt help us guys with the stick though any sort of time frame on the engine controller how long does it take to devolp stuff like this
Old 05-27-2006, 12:58 AM

I have been talking with HP Tuners via their web site forum, and it appears they will be making us a product. Apparently, they already support the transmission controller. They expect to begin working on our engine controller in about 2 months.
Tranny controller??!
Old 05-27-2006, 02:03 AM

Good news indeed.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:43 PM

there is a maf tuner from turboxs.com. also look to hahn racecraft for their turbo to come out mid summer. it uses a seprate port fuler system to compinsate for the boost. so no ecu mods needed. you can run a low boost turbo if you home make the kit. 3-5psi with ss injectors and the maf 2.2 controller. HPtuners are working on the 2.2 computer give it time.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by cobaltltblue
there is a maf tuner from turboxs.com. also look to hahn racecraft for their turbo to come out mid summer. it uses a seprate port fuler system to compinsate for the boost. so no ecu mods needed. you can run a low boost turbo if you home make the kit. 3-5psi with ss injectors and the maf 2.2 controller. HPtuners are working on the 2.2 computer give it time.
The Portfueler is something seperate and is expensive.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:27 AM

yes but for a good running daily driver and the lack of a computer crack it's worth the money. and most importantly IT WORKS

Quick Reply: ECU management NOW!