2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Engine build question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine build question

Im concidering doing an engine build including cams, cam gears, flywheel, and manifolds. I currently have cai, headers, header back exhaust including high flow cat, and a power tech mas resister. How much more power can I get from the build and for the money is it more power or less power than a turbo or supercharger.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:03 PM

If you build the motor properly, you will make plenty of power. Turbo, SC, nitrous; these are all options once the motor is built. Make sure you choose the right compression when building the motor though. Turbo - lower compression, SC - Higher

If you need any spare parts for the build, check out my most recent for sale thread. I will be adding parts here and there.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:07 PM

i believe there was a discussion on this..with a fully built motor/good cam/high compression pistons you should be making 200WHP easily. Naturally aspirated too, but if you're considering forced induction like he said, lower compression for turbo, higher for supercharger.
also make sure you pay attention to the cams/pistons..those are probably your two most "vital" engine power gainers, but don't over look the rest, they'll keep your motor strong and safe from blowing up lol.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LSDriver10
Im concidering doing an engine build including cams, cam gears, flywheel, and manifolds. I currently have cai, headers, header back exhaust including high flow cat, and a power tech mas resister. How much more power can I get from the build and for the money is it more power or less power than a turbo or supercharger.

best bang for the buck would be forced induction.....Building a nice n/a motor that will make decent power will be just as, if not more expensive, then getting a turbo on it.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:20 PM

true, but you'd run into less problems going naturally aspirated, depending on which pistons/cams he gets, if he gets a stage 2 i believe cam he will run into tuning problems, but a turbo you can run on a stand alone. It'd be WISE to build the motor to whatever you want, it's your car, but if you want to go turbo..get lower compression pistons, and turbo cams( if they even have that for a 2.2?) Not sure...but as for your more bang for the buck question yes, going turbo would be your best bet for the buck(seeing as you can always upgrade the turbo or get bigger trim in the future). But even then, you'll have to start with building the motor..just remember the six P's..
Old 10-28-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by cobalt9123
true, but you'd run into less problems going naturally aspirated, depending on which pistons/cams he gets, if he gets a stage 2 i believe cam he will run into tuning problems, but a turbo you can run on a stand alone. It'd be WISE to build the motor to whatever you want, it's your car, but if you want to go turbo..get lower compression pistons, and turbo cams( if they even have that for a 2.2?) Not sure...but as for your more bang for the buck question yes, going turbo would be your best bet for the buck(seeing as you can always upgrade the turbo or get bigger trim in the future). But even then, you'll have to start with building the motor..just remember the six P's..
FYI, you'd be crazy to try and make power on this car n/a. Even if you fully built this motor to the max, you need some sort of forced induction to get the power you want. You can go n/a with nitrous, maybe a 100 shot and feel a hell of a kick, but you'd be better off with a SC or TC and accompany that with a little spray. With the SC, you'd probably be looking at around 315-330 with a built motor and you can easily achieve 400 with the bottle. With a TC on the other hand, the sky is pretty much the limit depending on how big (within reason) you go. If you go with a bigger turbo and throw in a little nitrous, your going to spin through a couple gears before getting traction. Ask 2005 silverRL on the "other" LSJ forum. He hasn't even thrown the nitrous kit on yet.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:43 PM

ooo....slicks+wheelie bar and reinforced axles
Old 10-29-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LSJ PUP
FYI, you'd be crazy to try and make power on this car n/a. Even if you fully built this motor to the max, you need some sort of forced induction to get the power you want. You can go n/a with nitrous, maybe a 100 shot and feel a hell of a kick, but you'd be better off with a SC or TC and accompany that with a little spray. With the SC, you'd probably be looking at around 315-330 with a built motor and you can easily achieve 400 with the bottle. With a TC on the other hand, the sky is pretty much the limit depending on how big (within reason) you go. If you go with a bigger turbo and throw in a little nitrous, your going to spin through a couple gears before getting traction. Ask 2005 silverRL on the "other" LSJ forum. He hasn't even thrown the nitrous kit on yet.
you can make a good 230hp N/A if you do all the work involved...i see it more as a fun project than efficient as it would still be cheaper to go FI at the end of the day, but for many, 200hp is plenty...especially considering thats a 33% increase
Old 10-29-2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
you can make a good 230hp N/A if you do all the work involved...i see it more as a fun project than efficient as it would still be cheaper to go FI at the end of the day, but for many, 200hp is plenty...especially considering thats a 33% increase
Ha! I didn't realize I was in the 2.2 forums. lol NM, I would agree that 230 is a much better number for you guys. Ta ta...