2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Engine is done

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine is done

So I was driving the other day and when I shifted from 3rd to 4th...nothing happened. As in it just revved. It was like it was in neutral. I tried 5th...same thing. Pulled over to the side of the road and shut it off. Then when i tried to start it again it wouldn't start.

Its at the dealership now and apparently it came out of timing somehow which caused some internal damage.

They asked for my oil change records and I gave that to them. Personally I don't see why that had anything to do with it but I'm not worried because I've always changed my oil before the monitor got to zero. They also asked if I had ever bounced it off the rev limiter, which I haven't.

I can tell that they're just looking for reasons to not pay for this. Gotta love GM.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Banned

that sucks, how many miles did it have
Old 07-02-2009, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by cobalt123
that sucks, how many miles did it have
19xxx miles

I'm rollin around in a brand new HHR loaner till it gets fixed.
I just hope they fix it without bitching and trying to void my warantee.
I really don't feel like going to court. It's such a hastle.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 PM

ive never kept my oil change records..i guess i will now
Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 PM

Old 07-02-2009, 09:26 PM

If your car is modded at all, they'll try and put blame on it. Hopefully they don't **** you over.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:26 PM

If your car is modded at all, they'll try and put blame on it. Hopefully they don't **** you over.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltVenomSS
Yeah I didn't have a couple of my receipts but the oil was bought on my fiancee's dad's acount since he works at the parts store. Love that discount so it wasn't any problem to have them faxed over. I will never throw away another receipt lol.

Originally Posted by slowswap
Intake, motor mount, trans mount bushings. Nothing too serious. I hope that won't become an issue. They're not pulling the motor so they should't even see the trans mounts. the motor mount is black with a black bushing so it's not flashy. I doubt they'll notice. It's not like either one of those would have caused the problem though.

Last edited by JL-KA; 07-02-2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-02-2009, 09:34 PM

psh they can't EXPECT you to have all those records.

what they are doing however by requesting that is trying to build a case for the work not constituting warranty work and therefore able to charge you for any potential repairs. you'd be surprised what some dealerships will try and convince you of in order to get at your money.

i have yet to find a dealership living 100% up to it's warranty work. kia has been as close as it came. both times my fam's kia was in there, once even for a full tranny replacement, there wasn't a hassle.

i can't stand how interior noises are somehow completely inaudible to these dealer folks, and i can't stand how they can have a car in their shop 3x for a ******* passenger door making contact with the body and stripping paint during normal door closure yet say it's nothing on the car making contact and stripping the paint.....while its OBVIOUS on both the door and the body.

honestly i don't feel a bit of sadness for any of the dealers included in the massive dealership reduction being conducted by GM. Perhaps if the dealers would have been doing RIGHT by GM's customers, the corporation wouldn't have been in shambles now.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by warrenb213
psh they can't EXPECT you to have all those records.

what they are doing however by requesting that is trying to build a case for the work not constituting warranty work and therefore able to charge you for any potential repairs. you'd be surprised what some dealerships will try and convince you of in order to get at your money.

i can't stand how interior noises are somehow completely inaudible to these dealer folks, and i can't stand how they can have a car in their shop 3x for a ******* passenger door making contact with the body and stripping paint during normal door closure yet say it's nothing on the car making contact and stripping the paint.....wait it's obvious on both the door and the body.
Yeah I know they're trying to screw me. I'm not going down without a fight. I certainly don't have the kind of money this repair will cost so I'll raise all the hell it takes.

I had that same problem with my driver door. Luckly my dealer didn't put up a fuss. I've since moved though and I took it to a different dealer
Old 07-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would call gm customer service, and talk to them, they can MAKE them fix it...one email from them is all it takes...timing jumping isn't something u would of done...u could bounce of the limitor for hours and not do anything...
Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jn2
I would call gm customer service, and talk to them, they can MAKE them fix it...one email from them is all it takes...timing jumping isn't something u would of done...u could bounce of the limitor for hours and not do anything...
What could cause it?

Anyone know?

Any info will help me be more prepared if they do try to avoid covering it.

Last edited by JL-KA; 07-02-2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-03-2009, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by JL-KA
What could cause it?

Anyone know?

Any info will help me be more prepared if they do try to avoid covering it.
Off the top of my head, most timing jumps are cause an over rev from a mis down shift.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If the timing chain tensioner was malfunctioning it could very easily cause a timing jump. Other than that it is pretty hard to jump timing on an ecotech motor.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:55 AM

Off the top of my head, most timing jumps are cause an over rev from a mis down shift.
thats what they're trying to say

Originally Posted by rnjmur
If the timing chain tensioner was malfunctioning it could very easily cause a timing jump. Other than that it is pretty hard to jump timing on an ecotech motor.
how would you find that out? what would you look for?

Last edited by JL-KA; 07-03-2009 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-03-2009, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by warrenb213
honestly i don't feel a bit of sadness for any of the dealers included in the massive dealership reduction being conducted by GM. Perhaps if the dealers would have been doing RIGHT by GM's customers, the corporation wouldn't have been in shambles now.
1000% Agreed.

It's possible, but if it was that bad of an over rev, don't you think he would have floated a valve or something? Not just a timing jump..
Old 07-03-2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
It's possible, but if it was that bad of an over rev, don't you think he would have floated a valve or something? Not just a timing jump..
They said there was internal damage but didn't specify what exactly happened.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:57 PM

Valves hit pistons.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These ecotecs are just to damn powerful and mess everything up.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by HyperMuffin
These ecotecs are just to damn powerful and mess everything up.
LMFAO yeah...it was my hundred and **** horsepower that did it.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They said there was internal damage but didn't specify what exactly happened.
|
|
|
V

Valves hit pistons.
Floated. FTL.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:22 PM

Only way to tell if it was caused by the chain tensioner is to pull the front cover and inspect the tensioner. Over revving the motor will definately float the valves and cause damage, and it has happened before. Jumping timing on an ecotech because of an over rev would be quite an accomplishment without tearing the hell out of the chain, that is unless the tensioner wasn't holding tension correctly which caused the chain to jump.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
Only way to tell if it was caused by the chain tensioner is to pull the front cover and inspect the tensioner. Over revving the motor will definately float the valves and cause damage, and it has happened before. Jumping timing on an ecotech because of an over rev would be quite an accomplishment without tearing the hell out of the chain, that is unless the tensioner wasn't holding tension correctly which caused the chain to jump.
They did say that it jumped timing. So you think it would happen most likely because of a problem with the timing chain? I'm not too familiar with the ecotech. Why is it so difficult to jump teeth on them in comparison to oyher engines?
Old 07-04-2009, 05:02 PM

They did say that it jumped timing. So you think it would happen most likely because of a problem with the timing chain? I'm not too familiar with the ecotech. Why is it so difficult to jump teeth on them in comparison to oyher engines?
Most 4 cylinders and 6 cylinders use a timing belt, where the ecotech uses a chain. Chains are very unlikely to to jump timing unless the chain itself or some other part of the timing assembly actually breaks. When over revving chain timing typically you will cause internal damage due to floating valves, but even then the timing rarely changes unless you snap a gear or the chain itself.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
think of a bike chain. to jump timing, the chain would have to lift off of the teeth and shift down or up to the next adjacent tooth on the gear. This shouldnt happen unless there is slack in the chain, which should not be present unless the timing chain tensioner broke, and thus was not holding tension.

Quick Reply: Engine is done