2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Engine is done

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
think of a bike chain. to jump timing, the chain would have to lift off of the teeth and shift down or up to the next adjacent tooth on the gear. This shouldnt happen unless there is slack in the chain, which should not be present unless the timing chain tensioner broke, and thus was not holding tension.
Excellent explanation.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
Most 4 cylinders and 6 cylinders use a timing belt, where the ecotech uses a chain. Chains are very unlikely to to jump timing unless the chain itself or some other part of the timing assembly actually breaks. When over revving chain timing typically you will cause internal damage due to floating valves, but even then the timing rarely changes unless you snap a gear or the chain itself.
Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
think of a bike chain. to jump timing, the chain would have to lift off of the teeth and shift down or up to the next adjacent tooth on the gear. This shouldnt happen unless there is slack in the chain, which should not be present unless the timing chain tensioner broke, and thus was not holding tension.
Thanks a lot guys. And thank you Hunter for explaining it like that. I have a feeling I'll need to dumb it down for my service advisor. This man has no business around a car. The other day he thought my receipt showed 5 filters and 1 quart of oil
Old 07-05-2009, 09:36 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by JL-KA
So I was driving the other day and when I shifted from 3rd to 4th...nothing happened. As in it just revved. It was like it was in neutral. I tried 5th...same thing. Pulled over to the side of the road and shut it off. Then when i tried to start it again it wouldn't start.

Its at the dealership now and apparently it came out of timing somehow which caused some internal damage.

They asked for my oil change records and I gave that to them. Personally I don't see why that had anything to do with it but I'm not worried because I've always changed my oil before the monitor got to zero. They also asked if I had ever bounced it off the rev limiter, which I haven't.

I can tell that they're just looking for reasons to not pay for this. Gotta love GM.
Umm, sounds more like a transmission problem to me than a blown engine.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JL-KA
Thanks a lot guys. And thank you Hunter for explaining it like that. I have a feeling I'll need to dumb it down for my service advisor. This man has no business around a car. The other day he thought my receipt showed 5 filters and 1 quart of oil
no problem dude. and good luck with everything. I hope they dont try and screw you
Old 07-05-2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
Umm, sounds more like a transmission problem to me than a blown engine.
That's what I thought but they told me it was the timing
Old 07-06-2009, 06:24 PM

Went to the dealer today and after explaining every one of my receipts to them I think they have finally given up on trying to get out of the warranty work.
They have the head disassembled so they should be done by Wednesday.
If they try to screw me on it again my next talk will be with the service manager...followed by the dealership owner...followed by GM Customer Service.