2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

ETA For 2.2 Tuning???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elvisc
i got an 04 ion dude so i dont have that drive by wire crap.

i also just got the MS2 with the new v3.57 board
Sorry, didn't mean you specifically but the Cobalt & Ion guys (05+)

Originally Posted by Novajoe
the only thing about using megasquirt is you WILL throw codes. Whatever you have the megasquirt control, the stock computer won't be connected to it anymore, so you won't pass emissions if you use the megasquirt.
If you have it control the fuel injectors alone, there is a way to set it up so it will still send a signal back to the computer so it thinks that it's still present and communicating.

Last edited by NJHK; 08-23-2007 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-23-2007, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJHK

If you have it control the fuel injectors alone, there is a way to set it up so it will still send a signal back to the computer so it thinks that it's still present and communicating.
I believe its a 12ohm resistor on each injector line.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
I believe its a 12ohm resistor on each injector line.
There ya go
Old 08-23-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Survivor058
ok so ive been reading up on things around here and it just seems like the 2.2's are making very small if any steps toward tuning being avaible. so my question is this how much longer do u guys think it will be before someone cracks that dam computer in our cars? bc im seriously considering having my own part out sale and buying the ss/sc that way i can do what i want to it its just gonna hurt me bc i dont pay for my car that i have now just the insurance (YES!!!! ILL ADMIT IT MY MOM PAYS FOR MY CAR LOL) but if i sell or trade it in i have to pay for it so let me know what u guys thing should i wait it out or go ss/sc
i didnt take the the time to go through and read this whole thread. But, there is the AEM fuel/ignition controller and AEM has had it tested and working on a cobalt 2.2L.

It has a built in MAP sensor and comes with vacum line to hook it up to your intake manifold. It manipulates and controlls the pulse of the injectors allowing for use of bigger injectors and uses BOOST conditions to controll fuel/air ratio. It comes with the software to load onto any PC or laptop and you can tune the AEM f/ic.

the stock 2.2 injectors are 24lb/hr injectors which is 252cc for the AEM f/ic

these are the converstions for putting in the bigger injector

(32lb/hr)252/336 - 1 = -25%

(42.5lb/hr)252/446.25 - 1 = -43.52%

(60lb/hr)252/630 - 1 = -60%

(these formulas are so that you can put the bigger injectors in and have them work like factory size injectors) so that you can add in a turbo or supercharger later down the road

this will not mess with the ECU and get a CEL. the AEM sends a factory signal back to the ECU so that it dont trip a CEL. at that point the AEM manipulates your sensors and becomes the new controller of the sensors.

Once again AEM has used this on a cobalt 2.2 and it works w/ no errors. on their site they have a list of compatable aplications and 05-06 cobalt is listed. they are currently working on making plug and play harnesses, the first to have em are the 350z and 2 other import cars. no domestics are listed for plug and play harnesses yet but they are on the way

edit:
forgot one other thing as i was looking at the software for the AEM f/ic you can data log as well and retune after you do some logging
Old 08-23-2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK

that's cool and all, but why get a megasquirt just to control the injectors? Cheaper, easier piggybacks can be used for that without the rigging.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:51 PM

that's cool and all, but why get a megasquirt just to control the injectors? Cheaper, easier piggybacks can be used for that without the rigging.
AEM fuel/ignition controller FTW!!!! $468 and im still messing with it. a bit. but now im all out of time to mess with it, im on the ship right now for my duty day and we leave tomorrow for deployment. At least now i have the means to tune my car for turbo when i get back. Now, just to get that damn Saab manifold to come in and ill be set. currently on back order for some reason
Old 08-23-2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
AEM fuel/ignition controller FTW!!!! $468 and im still messing with it. a bit. but now im all out of time to mess with it, im on the ship right now for my duty day and we leave tomorrow for deployment. At least now i have the means to tune my car for turbo when i get back. Now, just to get that damn Saab manifold to come in and ill be set. currently on back order for some reason
dunno if the question's been asked yet but... does the aem have the ability to change the governor and rev limit? Or does it only adjust pulsewidth and ign timing.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:26 PM

i would be most interested in speaking w/ you in detail via PM, e-mail, or phone regarding the F/IC and your experiences w/ it.

Originally Posted by cakeeater
i thought sct already had tuning for the 2.2....? I thought someone was using a livewire. Is that not true?
05-06 2.2 and it's not a power-programmer, it's a tune that comes w/ the garrett turbo kit. garrett sourced the tuning to SCT. hopefully, as i said, they're in the process of doing a livewire release w/ the capability.

Last edited by bc3tech; 08-23-2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-23-2007, 06:27 PM

dunno if the question's been asked yet but... does the aem have the ability to change the governor and rev limit? Or does it only adjust pulsewidth and ign timing.
it just controlls pulsewidth and iginiton. pretty much keeps proper fuel to the engine via MAP in the AEM unit under boost conditions.

IT DOES NOT RE WRITE THE FACTORY ECU. thats how it keeps from setting CEL's
Old 08-23-2007, 06:37 PM

it doesn't re-write the factory bcm, but it does override it. It would be nice if it also killed the fuel cut and governor while it was at it... but oh well.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:42 PM

Haha, whats the email for HPTuners? I guess it wouldn't hurt just to show one more interested in it.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by bc3tech
i would be most interested in speaking w/ you in detail via PM, e-mail, or phone regarding the F/IC and your experiences w/ it.

05-06 2.2 and it's not a power-programmer, it's a tune that comes w/ the garrett turbo kit. garrett sourced the tuning to SCT. hopefully, as i said, they're in the process of doing a livewire release w/ the capability.
i dont have that much experiance with it. I just got the Unit monday, intalled it tuesday, messed with the tuning a lil bit on wednesday, had duty today and leave for deployment tomorrow.

I was having a CEL issue before i put the AEM in and after i messed with the tuning a bit i got rid of the CEL

A performance shop i called said my CEL was a mulitple random misfire code and was being caused by my cams advancing the timing to the point where my engine required 93 octane and above fuel

Doing that cleared out my CEL but it would come back after i would go WOT and then let off the accelerator. After i did a little bit of tuning with the AEM yesterday i got rid of the CEL completely.

All of the information ive had has came from AEM and the 1 day of tuning (if you want to call it that) i had yesterday.

I'm not going to get the chance to mess with it again until i get back from deployment in 6 months

Originally Posted by chucktheweasel
Haha, whats the email for HPTuners? I guess it wouldn't hurt just to show one more interested in it.
HPTuners has pretty much writen off the 2.2L cobalts. You would better off going to www.sctflash.com and keep bugging them on when custom tunable software will be available for the 2.2 since they already have a tune for the garret turbo set up for manual cobalts only

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 08-23-2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-23-2007, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by chucktheweasel
wouldn't help either

i imagine support@hptuners.com would do it.

i dont have that much experiance with it. I just got the Unit monday, intalled it tuesday, messed with the tuning a lil bit on wednesday, had duty today and leave for deployment tomorrow.

I was having a CEL issue before i put the AEM in and after i messed with the tuning a bit i got rid of the CEL

A performance shop i called said my CEL was a mulitple random misfire code and was being caused by my cams advancing the timing to the point where my engine required 93 octane and above fuel

Doing that cleared out my CEL but it would come back after i would go WOT and then let off the accelerator. After i did a little bit of tuning with the AEM yesterday i got rid of the CEL completely.

All of the information ive had has came from AEM and the 1 day of tuning (if you want to call it that) i had yesterday.

I'm not going to get the chance to mess with it again until i get back from deployment in 6 months

HPTuners has pretty much writen off the 2.2L cobalts. You would better off going to www.sctflash.com and keep bugging them on when custom tunable software will be available for the 2.2 since they already have a tune for the garret turbo set up for manual cobalts only
did your car even run w/ those cams and no F/IC? if so i'm surprised... so the F/IC fixed the **** w/ your cams, and w/ your 8.9:1 pistons? damn. sounds like it'd do awesome for just a boost tune
i'd be interested in seeing some screenshots of the tuning software. maybe u should start a thread here on everything you've done, seen, and learned w/ it.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:52 PM

caused by my cams advancing the timing to the point where my engine required 93 octane and above fuel

your cams advancing timing!? lol

i really doubt your camshafts are going to advance your spark timing, and if you mean cam timing then that would mean your chain is skipping lol and then since its an interference engine then piston + valve = yay

i really dont care about CEL's i'd rather have full legit control then trying to manipulate signals.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by bc3tech
wouldn't help either

i imagine support@hptuners.com would do it.

did your car even run w/ those cams and no F/IC? if so i'm surprised... so the F/IC fixed the **** w/ your cams, and w/ your 8.9:1 pistons? damn. sounds like it'd do awesome for just a boost tune
i'd be interested in seeing some screenshots of the tuning software. maybe u should start a thread here on everything you've done, seen, and learned w/ it.
yes, the car ran fine before i put the AEM in. reducing the engine compression by 0.6 doesnt affect if it will run or not. and comp cams advertizes the cams and not requiring computer tuning but recomend it.

Like i said I'm on duty today, im stuck on board the ship for 24 hours. I wont be able to do anything related to my car till i come back in 6 months. I leave for deployment tomorrow.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:59 PM

i really doubt your camshafts are going to advance your spark timing, and if you mean cam timing then that would mean your chain is skipping lol and then since its an interference engine then piston + valve = yay

i really dont care about CEL's i'd rather have full legit control then trying to manipulate signals.
since his fi/c got rid of it for the most part I'd say he was having a problem with the ecu advancing his ignition timing... not the camshaft timing.
edit: forgot he had aftermarket camshafts

if it wasn't for emissions then I'm sure most people wouldn't give a crap about throwing cels either. That's why you be like me and move to a place that doesn't have emissions and inspections
Old 08-23-2007, 07:04 PM

i know all about piston to valve contact, thats what forced me to get my engine rebuilt.

as far as the first part of what you are talking about, i have no clue as to what you are talking about. I think ill go witht he printout that i got from the performance shops OBD II trouble shooting. clearly says cause #1 for misfire code is advance timing/ inproper octane fuel usage #2 faulty spark plugs #3 damgage coil pack. checked the plugs, they were not fouled out but they did show signs of early dentonation. Check the coil pack by putting it on another cobalt and that wasnt the problem

Changed out the fuel octane use and that helped the problem but didnt completely solve it. The AEM solved my issue. and acutally, it was pretty important that i got this code cleared out. with the spark plugs showing signs of early dentonation, i could have done some more damage to the engine

since his fi/c got rid of it for the most part I'd say he was having a problem with the ecu advancing his ignition timing... not the camshaft timing.
edit: forgot he had aftermarket camshafts

if it wasn't for emissions then I'm sure most people wouldn't give a crap about throwing cels either. That's why you be like me and move to a place that doesn't have emissions and inspections
ahahah lol everyone forgets i have a 500bhp capeable built engine and have stage 1 cams, lol

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 08-23-2007 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 PM

I'm guessing you haven't tried retarding your ignition timing with the fi/c? Seems to me that it's just too far advanced and when you get to wot the advance goes just a little too far and you're getting post detonation.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:35 PM

no, i didnt have a whole lot of time to mess with all of the different things in the software. I had pretty much about 8 hours on wednesday to mess with the tuning and all i was worred about what the CEL i was having and messed with the fuel portion. when i get back from deployment ill mess with the timing part of it. That would probably explain why when i try to take the car to top speed that i cant reach redline in final gear anymore. the car just wont accelerate past 6100 rpms in final gear. but that could also be because i redused the engine compression and its just not kicking enough power over 5800 rpms. I did notice on the last dyno read i had that my power lost at launch and after 5800 rpms, i gained hp though in the 2800 to 5800 rpm range hit 151 at something like 5790 or so and then it started to drop out

check this thread out if you want to see my set up

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums//sho...08#post1340108

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 08-23-2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-23-2007, 07:41 PM

wait, faulty plugs and a damaged ICM were part of the cause for your ignition issue?

I didn't know our ECM advanced anything when installing cams or introducing more air into the motor. Doesn't it usually pull timing...
Old 08-23-2007, 07:47 PM

you are miss reading everything, lol i was listing what the print out trouble shooting sheet said what COULD be the cause of the problem. lol

faulty plugs was list as a POSSIBLE CAUSE i check the plugs and they were NOT faulty.

the ignition issue was the aftermarket cams advacing the timing to the point that it requires me to use 93 octane fuel and above, anything les the CEL will come back and the engine runs like ****.

engine runs beautifal on 93 octane and above
Old 08-23-2007, 07:54 PM

Megasquirt = Full Control over the fuel injectors

Piggyback = Limited Control that varies off of voltage
Old 08-23-2007, 09:24 PM

If anything, its causing shitty upper rpm power because your running LEAN or rich n the higher rpms. Cams allow for more air to enter the engine. ECM could be adjusting incorrectly

==Ok i rethought this part of the post and decided to keep it to myself...===
Old 08-23-2007, 09:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yes, the car ran fine before i put the AEM in. reducing the engine compression by 0.6 doesnt affect if it will run or not. and comp cams advertizes the cams and not requiring computer tuning but recomend it.
not a big note, but a stock 2.2 runs a 10:1 compression. Only the ss/sc runs 9.5:1 compression, so you dropped your compression by 1.1, not .6
Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
not a big note, but a stock 2.2 runs a 10:1 compression. Only the ss/sc runs 9.5:1 compression, so you dropped your compression by 1.1, not .6
then why (when i was first thinking of raising my engine compression) would halfcent want to sell me his 2.2L 10:1 compression pistons after i told him i wanted to raise my engine compression?

Quick Reply: ETA For 2.2 Tuning???