2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

ETA For 2.2 Tuning???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
not a big note, but a stock 2.2 runs a 10:1 compression. Only the ss/sc runs 9.5:1 compression, so you dropped your compression by 1.1, not .6
Thank you hunter, i was going to point that out in my "edited lower section" but i decided that everything being said was going to sound like a huge dick.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:29 PM

he does have pictures of the pistons and they are completly flat across, no inverted dome shape to indicate reduced compression, my stock 2.2L pistons looked just like my reduced compression pistons, just that the inverted dome was slightly deeper on my wiseco's?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
then why (when i was first thinking of raising my engine compression) would halfcent want to sell me his 2.2L 10:1 compression pistons after i told him i wanted to raise my engine compression?
Because he wanted to get some money. Everyone knows these things are 10:1. Its all over the forums. You gotta do some research mang! and not copy/paste mine...
Old 08-23-2007, 09:52 PM

what are you talking about copy and pasting "yours"
Old 08-23-2007, 09:55 PM

i ran 8.9:1 c/r on the stock ecu without modifying anything and it ran fine.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:57 PM

my car runs fine, the cams that are in there now was messing with the ignition advancing. i fixed the issue, just read in the thread. im not explaining that one again
Old 08-23-2007, 10:17 PM

my car runs fine, the cams that are in there now was messing with the ignition advancing. i fixed the issue, just read in the thread. im not explaining that one again

i wasnt challenging you. i was just saying to other people

but i ran stock cams so that's why it ran fine

so :P
Old 08-23-2007, 10:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
then why (when i was first thinking of raising my engine compression) would halfcent want to sell me his 2.2L 10:1 compression pistons after i told him i wanted to raise my engine compression?
maybe he thought you had a ss/sc? idk, ask him, but i doubt he was trying to cheat you out of money. halfcent is one of our most helpful members/mods here
Old 08-23-2007, 11:03 PM

no, i didnt have a whole lot of time to mess with all of the different things in the software. I had pretty much about 8 hours on wednesday to mess with the tuning and all i was worred about what the CEL i was having and messed with the fuel portion. when i get back from deployment ill mess with the timing part of it. That would probably explain why when i try to take the car to top speed that i cant reach redline in final gear anymore. the car just wont accelerate past 6100 rpms in final gear. but that could also be because i redused the engine compression and its just not kicking enough power over 5800 rpms. I did notice on the last dyno read i had that my power lost at launch and after 5800 rpms, i gained hp though in the 2800 to 5800 rpm range hit 151 at something like 5790 or so and then it started to drop out

check this thread out if you want to see my set up

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums//sho...08#post1340108
well advancing your ignition timing too far could weaken compression too. 0 ign advance or retard puts the spark at top dead center of the piston's compression stroke. advancing it makes the spark happen on the piston's downstroke. Generally a few degrees advance will give you added power because the explosion will happen with the added momentum of the piston's downstroke. However the further it's advanced the more space there is in the combustion chamber when the explosion occurs, decreasing compression, but but with added momentum of the piston, the trick is to get it at that sweet spot where you have good momentum and compression. Adding f/i(boost, nitrous) to the equation makes it a little different because of possible detonation issues though.

Also your bcm is probably advancing your ignition timing because the aftermarket camshafts are making your cam pos sensor send signals to the pcm that are probably telling it that the ign is retarded. So it advances the timing to compensate. Also if when the camshafts were installed, if they were one tooth off on the timing mark it could cause that. I would double check the timing marks just to be sure. to be honest whenever you install aftermarket camshafts on a vehicle not prepped for tuning, you want to install adjustable cam gears just because this kind of thing happens. But then I can't think of any adjustable cam gears for a chain-driven motor...
Old 08-23-2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
maybe he thought you had a ss/sc? idk, ask him, but i doubt he was trying to cheat you out of money. halfcent is one of our most helpful members/mods here
rofl - when he's not "infraction hunting"...

but i digress. yes the L61 is 10:1 - look it up. when he said .6 i just let it slide cuz, well, *looks around*
Old 08-23-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, what the hell is going on here?

One questions at a time please and I'll see what I can do...
Old 08-24-2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Okay, what the hell is going on here?

One questions at a time please and I'll see what I can do...
I had a vision!!! but my eyes were closed =(

Just letting you guys know on the 30th ill have the AEM FIC and by that weekend it should be installed and working with my current turbo. I will then be taking it off and using it with the procharger once my buddy feeds me the cashola =P

Ill do a writeup on it or how to. Thats if i get enough interest in it... I already have a 3+ page PDF i made here at work on making the install specific to the 05-06 Cobalt. I have no problem sharing it with everyone. I basically converted their basic install pdf into a 05-06 Cobalt specific installation manual that a 10yr old could do. So no more whining about a complicated install for you guys!

If possible halfcent, would you be able to assist me in the writeup. English isnt my best subject and I really dont enjoy writing. Ill have pics, vids, datalogs and dynos for it as well. Nothing half assed.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I suppose. It's hard to write about a product that you aren't actually there to review. But since we are all looking for something that has to do with that AEM unit, something is better then nothing.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
I suppose. It's hard to write about a product that you aren't actually there to review. But since we are all looking for something that has to do with that AEM unit, something is better then nothing.
Well ill write it and everything, but i may have some gramatical errors like spelling and small things. I know it must be reviewed anyway before it becomes a how to. Ill read more up on that when the time comes.

I just wish i could do it this weekend, but the unit wont be in...
Old 08-24-2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
Well ill write it and everything, but i may have some gramatical errors like spelling and small things. I know it must be reviewed anyway before it becomes a how to. Ill read more up on that when the time comes.

I just wish i could do it this weekend, but the unit wont be in...
Also Sw4y, i would suggest pics if you could...and price and who you purchased the AEM and ProCharger kit so anyone else can get a rippen deal!

So if someone does buy a ProCharger kit and AEM then make it a package deall and full write up...etc i think that is probably the most important part and its performance...

nothing more i hate when i read a thread and 10 different guys have 10 different turbo kits and each using a different tuning device...etc thens its a total crap shoot and you got 10 different tuning problems and 10 different install problems,,,etc

just my 2 cents...i heard someone say they paid $460.00 for the AEM? Where was it purchased from?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:38 PM

found it for $390 on ebay.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by bc3tech
found it for $390 on ebay.
That sounds about right i can get them right around 390-400.00 which is a sweet price for a tuning device! AEM builds nice stuff!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:50 PM

Haha, I just emailed HPTuners last night, figuring showing some more support would help. What they said is, "If we ever do support them it probably won't be for a while, we've already got a huge workload in front of us." So that sounds promising...
Old 08-24-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by chucktheweasel
Haha, I just emailed HPTuners last night, figuring showing some more support would help. What they said is, "If we ever do support them it probably won't be for a while, we've already got a huge workload in front of us." So that sounds promising...
there like microsoft man! they are all about the bucks!

Old 08-24-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Speed Mafia
there like microsoft man! they are all about the bucks!

yea. dam them for running a business and doing what's best for it rather than just dropping everything for the cobalt!! They should be shot.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
yea. dam them for running a business and doing what's best for it rather than just dropping everything for the cobalt!! They should be shot.
DAMN RIGHT! well my frustration is they said they would have tuning or they where working on it and then bam nothing so if your not going to work on a product then say nope not working on it but they pushed people off for 3 years!

but its all good no worries here all i can say is..."they better check there lug nuts" JK
Old 08-24-2007, 03:52 PM

My first plan of attack is running 32lb injectors in the car with 8psi. Ill then buy 50 or 60's and run the car at about 18psi and tune for that. Then ill put the procharger on and have a couple different tunes for it. One being 65lbers with about 18-20psi on the procharger. That ones not going to be my DD setup because i doubt the tranny can handle the power for a long period of time.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:04 PM

My first plan of attack is running 32lb injectors in the car with 8psi. Ill then buy 50 or 60's and run the car at about 18psi and tune for that. Then ill put the procharger on and have a couple different tunes for it. One being 65lbers with about 18-20psi on the procharger. That ones not going to be my DD setup because i doubt the tranny can handle the power for a long period of time.
if i could, duane, i recommend tuning the 24's on 8psi... they'll more than handle it. just so you don't (accidentally or otherwise) wash your cylinders or do a rich-detonation like i did. then that way you've at least got THAT tune to use on the 32's initially and tweak. instead of going 0-60 (expression, not the injectors ) straight off.

Originally Posted by chucktheweasel
.... or like what they've been saying for the past 2 years....

Last edited by bc3tech; 08-24-2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-24-2007, 04:09 PM

i would recommend making it a return style fuel setup because 60lb injectors may not be able to pulse so fast to shoot so little fuel at the high fuel pressure we have stock.

So this way when you have vacuum the injectors won't have as much fuel pressure so the fuel injectors are not so stressed out trying to pulse so quickly.

Then at higher KPA values the fuel pressure can increase and then yay more fuel.

its just pulls the stress off the injectors and the injector drivers.

just my .02

doublepost: also don't make your goals off PSI levels, that's just a pissing contest.

Do it off HP goals that way you know what injectors to get for the desired HP goals...etc

Last edited by elvisc; 08-24-2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-24-2007, 04:15 PM

good advice. the RL guys have been trying to do a return style fuel system for a while now due to their cyl 4 lean issue... nobody's come up w/ a nice solution as of yet. alphajaguar was heading it up last i knew, but it kinda died off.

Quick Reply: ETA For 2.2 Tuning???