2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust question

Hey guys I am not a huge car guy, maybe not even a little one. My dad is, he is the one that is going to do the work.. but when I ask him he starts talking about older cars and it throws me off he just tells me to get the 'right ****'. He don't have time to shop, drives big truck 5 days a week.

Anyways I was never really interested in changing anything mechanically mostly because I have just a 05' base cobalt sedan. This site has me reconsidering. I basically want to change the 'Exhaust' but it seems like there are a couple of things I can do... but I basically just want to do just that, change the exhaust. Besides the exhaust what else do I need to purchase. I see you guys talk about different headers and what not. I was also thinking about putting a cold air intake or something but I have seen some postss where people are getting a check engine light and not because there is actually a problem just because something was changed.

Hope you bared with me this far
Old 05-04-2006, 03:15 PM

ok crash course

air goes like this throught the engine intake -> Intake Manifold -> Piston -> header -> exhaust...with a few more complicated processes in there as well.

basically, the faster you get air through those processes the faster you go.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by roccityroller
ok crash course

air goes like this throught the engine intake -> Intake Manifold -> Piston -> header -> exhaust...with a few more complicated processes in there as well.

basically, the faster you get air through those processes the faster you go.
Well thats nice to know thanks

Im basically looking for what parts to buy... if I go and just buy an exhaust, will i have everything i will need to have this put on?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:24 PM

Yes you can just go and buy an exhuast but it's up to you to choose wether you want a cat back or header back. Also...being that you have the 2.2, you should have no problems with buying a injen CAI, and it most likely WON'T throw a CEL...good luck and let us know the route you go.

Also to learn a bit more...see the official exhaust thread
Old 05-04-2006, 04:08 PM

I always assume you get what you pay for, but what is the difference besides the name for these to setups.

Monza CatBack Exhaust From Pacesetter $199.99

DC Sports Stainless Cat-Back Exhaust $495.00

As you know I am no good with this stuff... but am I assumeing right when I assume that a cat-back means it is going from the catalytic(spelling?) converter back?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:48 PM

To answer the second question yes that's correct...a catback goes from the converter back. Also, the aftermarket systems are typically almost always mandrel bent as opposed to crimped as is the case with the stock. If no one has answered the first half of your question once I get home from work I'll take a look at the two and try to help out
Old 05-04-2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Permafried-
To answer the second question yes that's correct...a catback goes from the converter back. Also, the aftermarket systems are typically almost always mandrel bent as opposed to crimped as is the case with the stock. If no one has answered the first half of your question once I get home from work I'll take a look at the two and try to help out

Thanks!

I kinda think I want to go all the way from the headers back... i mean isnt this a better option then cat-back? Is everything bolt on, I guess it depends on what you buy. I don't have any welding stuff and i dont think my lighter will get hot enough. Just want to know what I need and whats involved. i wouldn't be doing the exhaust alone anyways, my dad has all kinds of stuff in his garage. he's into the old stuff so he isnt sure where to direct me on the newer cars.

Im thinking an exhaust goes like this... header, converter,muffler... along with all the exhaust pipe that is there.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:09 PM

ya thats right. i would say start off with an injen intake. and catback. www.turbotechracing.com they will hook u up.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by fWdCoBaLt
ya thats right. i would say start off with an injen intake. and catback. www.turbotechracing.com they will hook u up.

Well.. here is what I am going to do. Since money isnt really an issue even though I dont like to spend large amounts.

I am going to start with an AEM Cold Air Intake and the PACESETTER Monza Exhaust. I won't purchase just this second, I want some yay or nay's sugestions, feedback.. I know I am not going extreme but gotta start somewhere?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:31 PM

wouldn't it be best to say for exhaust purpose and intake purpose... you ain't eatin if you ain't shittin'...
Old 05-04-2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by undrgrndcobalt
wouldn't it be best to say for exhaust purpose and intake purpose... you ain't eatin if you ain't shittin'...

sorry your going to need to rephrase that... wouldnt it be best what?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:38 PM

it works both ways... to much air... not enough exhaust release... lack of power from mod... not enough air coming in... too much exhaust going out... lack of power from mod...
Old 05-04-2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by undrgrndcobalt
it works both ways... to much air... not enough exhaust release... lack of power from mod... not enough air coming in... too much exhaust going out... lack of power from mod...
ok i get what your saying, thanks

your telling me i need both.

but are you telling me my choice is an ok one or a bad one?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:47 PM

Intake/ header/ and exhaust are all good mods... but in the car world most of the time you get what you pay for... just think of it that way... if it's cheap it is exactly what the price tells you... that's just IMO... i come from a small town and i spend a decent amount of coin on my vehicles... everyone tells me i'm wasting my money there are cheaper things out that... they are the one's that have the most broke down cars right now... oh and get into you car if u are going to make it a project... exhaust is a simple install and so is intake...
Old 05-04-2006, 06:59 PM

There was a sound clip on the forums of the DC sports on a 2.2L Ion...you might like to look that up and see what you think of the sound. The thing that's bugging me about both is there isn't a good sized resonator on either as far as I can tell by the pics and descriptions...the Pacesetter sounds like it has one in the tip by the description but how large can it be . I've also never heard a clip of it so I can't recommend or slam it either way.

Oh and in short a resonator further reduces the sound of the exhaust without reducing flow as much as your muffler does. On the Magnaflow from the 2.0L it's somewhere in the ballpark of 30 inches long and helps pretty much eliminate the popping and sputtering. For an idea of what I'm talking about here's an image from turbotech:

The resonator is the largest portion of the pipe in the top half of the picture.

Maybe someone else can clarify anything I may have screwed up or failed to explain...but if you're not in a huge rush to make the purchase you could also get in contact with the suppliers .
Old 05-04-2006, 06:59 PM

The difference between those 2 exhaust systems is mainly that the pacesetter is mild steel, whereas the dc sports is stainless. What this really means is the quality and more specifically the life of the system. The mild steel pacesetter will rust and rot out a heck of alot faster than any stainless counterpart. Sure the performance may be very close, but the pace setter will probably need replacement within a couple years, many stainless systems have very long warrenties, sometimes even lifetime. Bottom line if you plan to keep the car and the new exhaust for a long time, go with the stainless, in the long run you will save money.

Put even more simply, do it right once, or cheap many times.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:13 PM

Guys thanks for all the feedback, you gave me a better understanding.

I am going to go with what I said before, if you missed it or dont want to stroll.. with this

I am going to start with an AEM Cold Air Intake and the PACESETTER Monza Exhaust.

If I am making a mistake, let me know. I will end up making the purchase tonight.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by wbrault
Guys thanks for all the feedback, you gave me a better understanding.

I am going to go with what I said before, if you missed it or dont want to stroll.. with this

I am going to start with an AEM Cold Air Intake and the PACESETTER Monza Exhaust.

If I am making a mistake, let me know. I will end up making the purchase tonight.

If you going to spend the money on an exhaust go with the stainless steel, it will last for ever. The pacestter exhaust is painted i believe and would imagine its very cheap. Go with the DC Cat back, you'll be happier.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:37 PM

www.gravana.com
has pretty much all of em, so u know whats available. pricecheck around though, theres usually a deal to be made.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dc sports sounds much better, and will last long. depending on where you live, the salt will eat that monza exhaust alive
Old 05-04-2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by sethallen
dc sports sounds much better, and will last long. depending on where you live, the salt will eat that monza exhaust alive

when you say better, do you mean just louder?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by wbrault
when you say better, do you mean just louder?
u know the investment of an exhaust is kinda a big one, there is an "official exhaust thread" somewhere here that actually has sound clips, i personally favour the corsa touring cause it isnt as farty sounding as most 4 cyl exhausts.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Roadrunner
u know the investment of an exhaust is kinda a big one, there is an "official exhaust thread" somewhere here that actually has sound clips, i personally favour the corsa touring cause it isnt as farty sounding as most 4 cyl exhausts.

I been trying to find that thread, i dont know what im doing wrong but have not found it yet
Old 05-04-2006, 11:07 PM

hmm...im sure someone will post it now that its been mentioned
Old 05-05-2006, 04:43 AM

Pacesetter exhaust in PA? hope you don't drive that car in the snow.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question