2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Few questions....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few questions....

Hi. I have been thinking about a few things lately and I'm hoping that some of you have the answers to my questions. First of all is the lack of a voltmeter in the dash. I had an S10 before my Cobalt and the voltmeter definately saved me from being stranded in the middle of nowhere and I would like to add one to myCobalt. Has anyone added one to their car before? How hard is it? And has anyone replaced their fuel filter yet? Where is it and how hard is it to replace? Thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2005, 09:23 PM

A volt meter should consist of 2 wires and a gauge. It go right on to your battery terminals, run the wires under the carpet and door sills, and mount the gauge where ever. Or get a SS S/C A pillar pod and mount the gauge in there.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:23 PM

No clue on the Fuel filter sorry.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by TxCarGuy
Hi. I have been thinking about a few things lately and I'm hoping that some of you have the answers to my questions. First of all is the lack of a voltmeter in the dash. I had an S10 before my Cobalt and the voltmeter definately saved me from being stranded in the middle of nowhere and I would like to add one to myCobalt. Has anyone added one to their car before? How hard is it? And has anyone replaced their fuel filter yet? Where is it and how hard is it to replace? Thanks in advance

I have not added a voltmeter, but it would not be hard. You need to tap into the alternaters power wire to get a reading. Wiring and instulation instructions would come with a meter. Voltmeters are not that common anymore because of "idiot lights", it's also cost effective for the manufacturer to not have one.
As for the fuel filter, it's inside the fuel tank integrated into the fuel module assembly.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Besides the "idiot light" and the digital voltmeter available through the Driver Information Center (DIC) the Cobalt's DIC will also display "CHARGING SYSTEM FAILURE" when any issue might arise
WopOnTour
Old 11-19-2005, 11:13 PM

im thinkin of puttin a voltmeter in my car just for system monitering to see how much im drawing at a time but how many miles on you car you shouldnt need a fuel filter yet i dont think
Old 11-19-2005, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by WopOnTour
Besides the "idiot light" and the digital voltmeter available through the Driver Information Center (DIC) the Cobalt's DIC will also display "CHARGING SYSTEM FAILURE" when any issue might arise
WopOnTour
Thanks for the information. I didn't know that it would alert me if there were ever any problems. And how often should the fuel ilter be replaced on this car? I replaced the one on my old S10 every 15-20k miles. Thanks
Old 11-20-2005, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by NJBLUESS
I have not added a voltmeter, but it would not be hard. You need to tap into the alternaters power wire to get a reading. Wiring and instulation instructions would come with a meter. Voltmeters are not that common anymore because of "idiot lights", it's also cost effective for the manufacturer to not have one.
As for the fuel filter, it's inside the fuel tank integrated into the fuel module assembly.

Um, im not gonna flame you to bad here, but maybe you should look for the fuel filter before giving out random, wrong advice. If you look under the rear of the car, perferably by the fuel door underneath the car, you will see the fuel filter sitting there plain as day. Just trying to clarify the misinformed location.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by dnbguy86
Um, im not gonna flame you to bad here, but maybe you should look for the fuel filter before giving out random, wrong advice. If you look under the rear of the car, perferably by the fuel door underneath the car, you will see the fuel filter sitting there plain as day. Just trying to clarify the misinformed location.
I stand corrected, the filter is located externally and is serviceable. My apologys for being mistaken.
Now as far as giving out "random, wrong advise", I feel you should retract that statement. Here is where I obtained my information.
GM TECH Link, January 2005, Volume 7, no. 01 page 5.
Quote; "FUEL FILTER REPLACEMENT - Some customers have commented that they have been advised to replace their vehicles fuel filter periodically.
On many vehicles, the fuel filter is non-serviceable ( see table). The filter is an integral part of the fuel pump module and fuel pressure regulator assembly. The filter can be serviced only by replacement of the fuel module assembly. This process requires the removal of the fuel tank (one to two hours of labor, depending on the model), plus several hundred dollars in unnecessary parts.
The vehicles owner's manual outlines the periodic maintenance service required, under the Maintenance 1 and Maintenance 2 guidelines. Routine fuel filter replacement does not appear on either of these schedules.
In the future, due to the increase regulation of eveporative emissions, fuel systems utilizing a non-serviceable filter will become more common as new models are introduced."

Vehicles with Non-Serviceable Fuel Filters

CHERVROLET

2003-05 Corvete
2004-05 Malibu and Maxx, Silverado*,Tahoe**, Suburban, Avalanche
2005 Equinox, Cobalt,Aveo,Trailblazer and EXT, SSR

GMC

2004-05 Sierra*, Yukon** and XL
2005 Envoy,XL and XUV

PONTIAC

2003-05 Vibe
2005 G6, Pursuit***, Wave***

BUICK

2005 Rainier

CADILLAC

2005-05 XLR, Escalade, EXT, and ESV

HUMMER

2006 H3

SATURN

2002-05 VUE
2005 ION

* 2004 V8 only (4.3l USES CONVENTIONAL EXTERNAL FILTER)
** 2004 RPO L59 uses conventional external filter
*** Canada Only

So as one can see I do not post " Random Information". The system was changed without my knowledge. Again I appoligize to those on this post for " Relaying" improper information!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:18 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Way to go NJB! I love having service manuals qouted, even when they are wrong!

Originally Posted by Clmbngfrk18
im thinkin of puttin a voltmeter in my car just for system monitering to see how much im drawing at a time
In which case, you would want an AMP meter, not a voltmeter.