2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Few questions about my crappy 4 banger

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
I don't think you're ungrateful by the way man, I think you like the car, but you just realize its not as fast as you want it to be. Just the word usage is what people are complaining about.
Yes thats exactly what it is i didnt use the right wording but im not going to argue with people over it. it doesnt bother me. But what about the turbo? if i get the turbo in my lt, ill still be beat by other turbocharged cars right.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by sgrrsh26
Yes thats exactly what it is i didnt use the right wording but im not going to argue with people over it. it doesnt bother me. But what about the turbo? if i get the turbo in my lt, ill still be beat by other turbocharged cars right.
Simply, yes. If a 1998 Honda Civic Si got turbo'ed, it would most likely beat you. The Alpine kit is good, but you have to do some internal work on your engine and a good tuine to make sure it runs good. And the turbo is expensive. Like, more than 1-2K. If you want to dump a bunch of money into it and know your stuff, then go for it, otherwise, I wouldn't personally.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man. I wish my dad would buy me a car.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Evilfrog
Man. I wish my dad would buy me a car.
Would you be as happy though, if you got an auto LS, or are you happier with you 5 speed SS?
Old 05-27-2007, 01:25 PM

Another friend of mine suggested an engine swap. is this an idea to consider? My engine is new with about 800 miles on it. if i were to swap the engine what would i look for and what do you think the prices would be?
Old 05-27-2007, 01:32 PM

a new engine is gonna cost you about 3 grand do you kno a lot about cars and how you would do it? its a lot of work. im assuming ur talking about a 2.0 swap?
Old 05-27-2007, 01:40 PM

Another friend of mine suggested an engine swap. is this an idea to consider? My engine is new with about 800 miles on it. if i were to swap the engine what would i look for and what do you think the prices would be?
No. Don't consider this. Too expensive. Yes it would fit in there no problem, but its a lot of work. You wouldn't have the stronger sport suspension like the SS Supercharged do. You'd need a better exhaust system, a different cold air intake, and I'm nto sure how the auto trans would work with the 2.0L. DOn't even consider it. If you want the 2.0L, you're going to have to work on getting the SS, if you don't mind getting maybe, a maximum of 14X HP to the wheels, with full bolt ons, and thats a maybe on that, then go with bolt ons. If you want to have this car long term, and want to dumb money into it, go turbo, get a good tune, mess with your internals, get bolt ons, do some cosmetics, then you're done. Just what you want to do. As NJHK taught me, have a PLAN for what you want to do. Stop listening to your friend by the way.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Im going to make this simple, there will ALWAYS be something faster than you...

If your going to invest the time/money/resources it would take to do an engine swap in your cobalt save yourself and buy and old 5.0 rustang, put $4g in it and run 11's then you will be faster than your friends...

oh, and by the way anyone that suggests a 2.0 swap into the 2.2 is strange... Any of you ever looked at the racing build book for the ecotec drag car? its a built 2.2, not the 2.0. The 2.2 has more potential then the 2.0 could ever hope for.

Take a gander at this and see what your slow as car is capable of:
http://tunersource.gmblogs.com/Racer...L61-Build-Book

Last edited by REIGN SS; 05-27-2007 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-27-2007, 03:43 PM

yeah so my dad bought me a cobalt *LT* its slow as ****. My buddy told me that if i get a stage 3 turbo that **** would rip, but i havent found anything about turboing my AWSOME 2.2L DOHC ECOTEC. can anyone help me out on making this ***** faster?
First off this car isn't a damn Civic.

Second these cars of capable of mid to high 15s STOCK with the right conditions. That is impressive for a economically built car. The Civics I've seen that are the same trim level as us(think that would be a EX or DX in Civic terms since the LS and LT are the lower trims of the Cobalt) struggle to get mid to low 17 quarter and we're here almost mid 15s for the same trim level. I think our trim levels goes SS S/C, SS, LT, LS and Civic goes Si, EX, LX, DX. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Third there is a good reliable turbo kit for the 2.2L ECOTEC. Respectfully you will spend around $5-6K to have the turbo installed not including the other tuning components you will need. If you feel the need to really turbo the engine you will need around $10K for a good engine build. Use the search function of the forum and browse the 2.2L Performance section. For the love of the car gods do not waste money swapping a 2.0 into your LS. For that amount of money you could do a nice build to the 2.2 and be in the 13s IMO with the right suspension, tires, driver, tune.

Last, but not least. Be glad you got a car given to you.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by JRelly
First of all...Dont "pimp your ride"...in real automotive terms its modify or mod for short. Second of all dont complain about your parents giving you a car, b/c alot of us on here had to buy our own cars so you wont get sympathy in that department. Ok now finally use the search button to find info on your car. There is a whole section dedicated to your car...lok through it and Im sure you will find more than enough info to mod your car.
Good post.

Soon as I started reading the bitching and almost puked. I'd **** a brick to get a brand new car for free.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dustin
Good post.

Soon as I started reading the bitching and almost puked. I'd **** a brick to get a brand new car for free.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:04 PM

anything is possible if youve got the money and it is true that there will always be a car faster.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
engine swap on a new car.

dear god.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
engine swap on a new car.

dear god.
man you read my mind but I didnt feel like saying it
Old 05-27-2007, 10:36 PM

I just want to make it overly APPARENT that i am making payments on the car. so enough of the spoiled **** ordeal. but thanks to all of you who have posted helpful answers
Old 05-27-2007, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by TCarter
wowsers.......yes..i said it...

this thread went to hell in a hand basket. first of all, your friend with his "Stage 3" turbo ****...is a ******* idiot...laugh and punch him in the face for me....

this car isnt "Stage" supported per say.....it really all depends on what you want to do.

Alpine has a turbo kit for your car, but its not cheap. which isnt "staged" but if you call ahead of time, they can work somethin out....

Im not going to call you ungrateful, simply because everybody else on here has already (thanks guys).

But seriously, A car is a car...the 2.2 balts are pretty quick....granted my ss is alot faster.....but still.

ask yourself: "Would you rather be walking? or sitting in your friends car looking dumb?"

face it....nobody likes to depend on friends for a ride....ever.

There is a kid up here, whos 18ish...his mommy and daddy own a car accessories shop (neons, lights, mufflers, tips...tint)...he has a shitty beretta, but has a really nice mustang...both of which mommy and daddy bought for him....

he talks so much ****....but you gotta remember...its easy to talk **** when mommy or daddy buys you a car....

You literaly have no room to bitch about your car unless your paying for it...its a huge pride thing to get in that car the very first time...your own car........take it out of the dealership...and just give it some nice WOT.

im done ranting and talking.

In short: If your cars slow...make it faster. Make it faster with http://www.tntautosport.com

Link to turbo: http://www.tntautosport.com/index.ph...products_id=22

Link to 2.2L Performance: http://www.tntautosport.com/index.ph...&cPath=1_2_4_9
I second all that. Plus what I said earlier.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:43 PM

that alpine turbo, about how much horsepower will that give me? and also, if i put headers, turbo, exhaust, and cold air, any idea how much total HP ill have? last question, whats the largest possible engine that can fit in my car? is it possible to fit a 3.5l?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dustin
Good post.

haha id like to see this one

that alpine turbo, about how much horsepower will that give me? and also, if i put headers, turbo, exhaust, and cold air, any idea how much total HP ill have? last question, whats the largest possible engine that can fit in my car? is it possible to fit a 3.5l?
lol you can fit alot of things into anything you just need the right tool. my friend has a 5.0 mustang engine in a civic hatch, but you have to be able to cut sh*t apart, and you need like an amazing suspension to hold all that weight... if you got that much money kid just go out and buy your self a GTO

plus i think a gto is what a 5.7-6.0 choice lol

Last edited by fbaero10; 05-28-2007 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-28-2007, 03:08 PM

Stray away from engine swaps dude, in all seriousness. Don't even consider engine swaps. Too much work, lots of custom fabbing and all.

Here is the Alpine Turbo Kit.

http://www.alpine-developments.us/chevy_cobalt.html

Its expensive, but it gets you 212 whp. You'd have to get an intake with the turbo kit that woudl fit, so the intake is included in the kit, then header, downpipe,e xhaust....eh..maybe add about 10, maximum 18-19 to that. So perhaps, around 220-230ish whp (wheel horse power)
Old 05-28-2007, 03:10 PM

You dont need a header with your turbo setup b/c it uses a manifold....as far as your engine question you cant just say 3.5L and expect everyone to know what your talking about. Thats like sayin hey dude will this 5.6L fit in my car I dont know what engine it is but will it fit because that number sounds awesome and it probably goes really fast because the number is bigger
Old 05-28-2007, 03:18 PM

I wouldn't do to much that would void your factory warranty. Cause if you mess that engine up and they wont warranty it I have a feeling that your dad would be very pissed. If you were my son I would weld the hood shut. No offence to you but already wanting a fast car I would forbid it. But congrats on you new Cobalt. Be Smart!!
Old 05-28-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by SmOKe JeNsOn
I wouldn't do to much that would void your factory warranty. Cause if you mess that engine up and they wont warranty it I have a feeling that your dad would be very pissed. If you were my son I would weld the hood shut. No offence to you but already wanting a fast car I would forbid it. But congrats on you new Cobalt. Be Smart!!
Hate to say it, but I agree with him. Calm down man. You want to do so much so fast to your car. Take it slow, save your money, and be smart with it. If you want to go faster, do some basic bolt onts first, and then after a while, do the more invovled things.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:11 PM

this is possably the worst thread i've ever read..

if the car isnt good enough, save some cash, trade the car in and get what you want and srt4 or ls1 camaro would be great...
Old 05-28-2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by halfj99
this is possably the worst thread i've ever read..

if the car isnt good enough, save some cash, trade the car in and get what you want and srt4 or ls1 camaro would be great...

so you decided to quit biting your tongue huh? hahaha
Old 05-29-2007, 01:56 AM
Banned

Wow, you need to grow up. Be happy with what you got and deal with the fact that your car is "slow".

Quick Reply: Few questions about my crappy 4 banger