2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

A few questions from the noob!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A few questions from the noob!

I'm curious about the 2.2 my Cobalt has, more like what really wakes these engines up. I was curious what mods some of you have done and what gains that has netted you. I know there's a few NO2 peopel here, and even though I'm a spray guy myself, I don't want to spray my Coablt. I'm looking for some N/A mods really, but hearing some NO2 times would be cool.

So far I've got my Cobalt to run 15.4 totally stock. I had to take all but the driver's seat out, the spare tire and jack, hubcaps, swap the battery for a drycell Dynabatt, and remove the air filter and leave the box. It was about 50 degrees out I believe running it at Mid Michigan Motorplex back in October. I think if I could have got the tired to hook I would have been able to run a 15.2, and if I had shifter at a higher RPM. A high 14 second slip would make my day with this car, and it's light enough that I don't think it would take a whole lot to get there (after gutting it like I did before anyway).

So what did you do and what did it run? My car is a stock base model 5 speed still running the stock tires, with about 30,000 miles on it.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:26 PM

And yes I did some searching around on here and found a little of this and that, looking for more specific answers then what I've found so far.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have searched, and haven't found the SPECIFIC answers you are looking for, then you need to ask more SPECIFIC questions. So far, all you have asked is, "what can I do?" I know for a fact that a search would have given you some answers.

So, what specifically would you like to know?

I can at least offer you this: In the N/A camp, is has been pretty much agreed that cams are going to be the only way to get some real power gains. But it still has the same problem that F/I has: No tuning.

We are all kindda sitting around waiting for HP Tuners. We are sort of at their mercy.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:32 PM

can you post the slip to that 15.4
Old 11-23-2006, 01:34 PM

Haha, i thought these cars hit 16.2-16.4 with a decent driver. You took off .8-1 second with weight reduction?
Old 11-23-2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by p1llar
Haha, i thought these cars hit 16.2-16.4 with a decent driver. You took off .8-1 second with weight reduction?
if its completely gutted i can see that as a possibility, and props if he really did it
Old 11-23-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by p1llar
16.4??

My Automatic Sedan did 16.4 with nothing but a CAI, without any weight reduction
Old 11-23-2006, 02:46 PM

I want to see that chart, too.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Halfcent
If you have searched, and haven't found the SPECIFIC answers you are looking for, then you need to ask more SPECIFIC questions. So far, all you have asked is, "what can I do?" I know for a fact that a search would have given you some answers.

So, what specifically would you like to know?

I can at least offer you this: In the N/A camp, is has been pretty much agreed that cams are going to be the only way to get some real power gains. But it still has the same problem that F/I has: No tuning.

We are all kindda sitting around waiting for HP Tuners. We are sort of at their mercy.
Basically what Halfcent mentioned...you need to be a little more description question wise.

Fact is, getting rid of restriction and supplying more air to in turn supply more fuel will "wake up" any engine.

What are you looking for out of your engine?
How much money are you trying to invest into your vehicle?

When you think about these questions and then come down to more narrow questions, we can help you further.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:29 PM

I'm sorry guys, I guess I wasn't really specific at all, lol.

Ok, I only want to spend about $1500 on engine mods. Not much considering how much parts really cost.

My first though was to open the exhust up. Here in Michigan we don't have emission testing, so removing the cat was a first step idea. Some cars react well, and some loose power. Anyone actually done it? And does the computer throw a fit without it?

I found some info on here about headers so I won't ask about that now

I know there's alot of CAI options out there, but can't find any good threads about who has what on their car and how well did it work compared to someone elses.

I see what you mean about the computer, I didn't know that knobody was programming these yet. What about the computers that the SC guys use? Has anyone tried to adapt one? If it's a wiring issue mabye I could do something about that.

BTW, completely stock I got my Cobalt to run 15.6 ungutted. I have that timeslip here and will post it up in a minute. When I get back home on Monday I'll get pics of my 15.4 timeslips up. My car is a manual, not an auto BTW. Not sure what the auto guys are running.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:40 PM

Ok I thought the timeslips were in the car, but nope. I'll have them up on Monday.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro
I'm sorry guys, I guess I wasn't really specific at all, lol.

Ok, I only want to spend about $1500 on engine mods. Not much considering how much parts really cost.

My first though was to open the exhust up. Here in Michigan we don't have emission testing, so removing the cat was a first step idea. Some cars react well, and some loose power. Anyone actually done it? And does the computer throw a fit without it?

I found some info on here about headers so I won't ask about that now

I know there's alot of CAI options out there, but can't find any good threads about who has what on their car and how well did it work compared to someone elses.

I see what you mean about the computer, I didn't know that knobody was programming these yet. What about the computers that the SC guys use? Has anyone tried to adapt one? If it's a wiring issue mabye I could do something about that.

BTW, completely stock I got my Cobalt to run 15.6 ungutted. I have that timeslip here and will post it up in a minute. When I get back home on Monday I'll get pics of my 15.4 timeslips up. My car is a manual, not an auto BTW. Not sure what the auto guys are running.
With 1500, you're not really going to go far, unfortunately.

Removing the cat wont help you really. Plus, it will sound obnoxiously loud. Stick to a 2 1/4" high flow cat to keep the diameter straight through.

You can't use the ss/sc computer...even if you could, it wouldn't benefit you in your situation.

If you need anymore help, just ask.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:01 PM

first off id get new tires id you have the conti's
Old 11-24-2006, 01:01 PM

Hehe, I know what you mean about the tires. The Conti's are completely bald now, not much traction there. When summer comes around I'm going to put some decent rim on and some good stickey tires.

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do about these L61's. Totally different animal then my Camaro, lol. I've learned what needs to be done to get rid of the wheel hop, thanks to this board.

The only reason I was asking about the SC computer is because it can actually be programmed, meaning I could do a cam swap and actually make it run right.

Mabye I should carb it (KIDDING!!)

I will post the timeslips up on Monday.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:21 PM

Hehe, I know what you mean about the tires. The Conti's are completely bald now, not much traction there. When summer comes around I'm going to put some decent rim on and some good stickey tires.

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do about these L61's. Totally different animal then my Camaro, lol. I've learned what needs to be done to get rid of the wheel hop, thanks to this board.

The only reason I was asking about the SC computer is because it can actually be programmed, meaning I could do a cam swap and actually make it run right.

I guess I could understand that about the computer but overall, it's just not possible.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-24-2006, 04:08 PM

in terms of N/A mods, nothing really "wakes" the car up.

you can go for an Injen intake, Pacesetter armor coated header, and then a custom mandrel bent 2 1/4" exhaust. these mods will improve your cars performance but not like it would a larger motor. your best bet after bolt ons is to tackle your suspension and make sure you can get your power to the ground. some sticky tires, along with a torque brace and motor and tranny mount will help get what power you do have down to the ground.

aside from nitrous, there really isn't much you can do other than bolt ons due to tuning...
Old 11-24-2006, 05:23 PM

That's pretty much what I expected. Well at least I have a basic idea of what I want to do. Thanks for the help guys, and thanks for putting up with my stupid questions.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:04 AM

That's pretty much what I expected. Well at least I have a basic idea of what I want to do. Thanks for the help guys, and thanks for putting up with my stupid questions.
No question is stupid if you don't honestly know the answer. Good luck with the car.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:11 AM

I'm curious about the 2.2 my Cobalt has, more like what really wakes these engines up.
get a hot naked chick to seat in the drivers sit. that ll wake it up!
(sorry i couldnt resist it )
Old 11-25-2006, 08:17 AM