2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Finally got an Engine Mod!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got an Engine Mod!!

So my step brother from the air force came in town and he is a mechanic! I showed him my cobalt and asked him to install that Performance chip that they sell on ebay( i had bought it the week befor)

So i go inside for about 2 hours and he hasnt come back in so im like WTF?! I come back out and he is revving my car and it sounds alot Different (better)

He says drive it.

Man the pick up i get in 3rd and 4th gear is outrageous compared to what i had befor, it is a SIGNIFICANT difference.

**What he did**
He took out some plastic piece in my car that was blocking airflow to my intake and some other stuff. He was talking to me in mechanic language so i had no clue wtf he was talking about.

But if you have and u want speed, GET A FRIEND or Mechanic to take out that extra plastic piece under the air intake it makes a HUGE difference.

He also showed me some racing techniques for launching and switching.

He was in italy and had a Skyline (r34) so he is a racing enthusiast just like everyone on these forums.

Again the chip on ebay IS worth it along with removing that piece

Im going to get a CAI NEXT.

***********LOOKING FOR FULL EXHAUST TIP AND MANIFOLD*******
vendors leave post here.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey was he from Aviano Italy? I have seen a few skylines around. I might know him
Old 09-20-2005, 11:04 AM

Thats the first I've heard of the "ebay chip" actually doing something performance wise. Anyway, great to hear, and if you can throw a few pics of the piece that was removed, I'm sure a few more might benefit .
Old 09-20-2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by FLCobalt
He took out some plastic piece in my car that was blocking airflow to my intake and some other stuff.
Do you mean the plastic tubing that has to be removed to put in the CAI extension thats in front of the wheel well?

I have the short ram on right now, and air is being fed directly to the filter through that tubing, which I believe is open on the bottom. I could see how with the stock intake that MIGHT make a differance, but I would be very interested to hear if someone who has already removed the stock airbox actually got any gains out of the "Ebay Mod".

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-20-2005, 12:20 PM

I would be lying to you guys if i claimed to be mechincally inclined.

But wat u said about the plastic thing sounds about right. It is a big plastic piece under the car. As for the chip im not sure if it actually helped or not but im assuming that it did.

My car use to redline in 3rd at around 82 (i think) now i can hold third til about 88
Also when i redline the car doesnt over shift like it use to. I get a few more hundred RPMS befor it does it now.

Befor when i would hit the red it would overshift, now i can go a little past the red.

The chip is only 24 bucks free shipping. So if it did ANYTHING great and if it didnt, well it looks good on the engine and for where im at in my life right now, 24 dollars isnt gonna break the piggy bank =)

BUt my coablt is a HELL of alot faster. my best friend noticed befor i even told him about the mods.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:22 PM

Skyhunter, Im not sure i gotta ask him. he was all over for about 2 years.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:21 PM

the chip does nothing

your intake restriction can be solved by buying an aftermarket intake.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:40 PM

Not sure if the intake is the same on the SS, as on the base model but here's the pics I took when I did it about 2 months ago.

Before,

After

Yeah, I could tell a difference....the extra crap attached to it was ridiculous....who needs it....and I can hear a difference too!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:07 PM

**What he did**
He took out some plastic piece
Is it possible for you to take a picture of it now that its out of the car?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Banned

So my step brother from the air force came in town and he is a mechanic! I showed him my cobalt and asked him to install that Performance chip that they sell on ebay( i had bought it the week befor)
Glad to hear you are starting to mod your car, its a lot of fun.

Taking out the intake restrictions is a nice free mod. Gives the car a better sound, and adds possibly 1 or 2 HP since the air flow is less restricted at WOT.

Unfortunately though you've been scammed into buying a "chip" that does your vehicle no good. I'm assuming you payed about $20 for this "chip", and it probably looks like a little silicon chip board with circuits.

People like yourself get scammed into buying these things because of the claims of 20+ HP and better fuel mileage, all for cheap. Seems like a good deal, but its a waste of money, and I'll explain why.

The eBay chip doesn't actually "chip" or modify the computer at all. It basically just messes with the sensors, and tricks the computer into reading the incoming air temperature as colder than it is. The computer will add more fuel to colder (denser) air, therefore richening up the air/fuel mixture. Thats fine when the air actually is cold , but when there is warm air coming in, all it does is make the engine load up on fuel and bog. It also decreases fuel mileage by 2-3 MPG.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of it before your engine gets full of carbon buildup
Old 09-20-2005, 08:02 PM

i never understood why the chip makes more power if it makes the car run richer

leaner=faster
Old 09-21-2005, 12:49 AM

dude i think thay put that stuff there for a reason

___
Old 09-21-2005, 07:15 AM

I believe it helps divert water/debri, if somehow it gets into the intake, into those containers. At least when i pulled them off my cavy, lots of leaves in them.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:12 AM

Well that intake is actually in the front passenger fender well, and the intake ends right below the headlight almost.
When I took the bottom "diaper" off there is still a hole for drainage but it's able to pull more air and does sound better!

Yeah, it's an easy freebe while I wait for funds to get a decent intake, when the prices come down.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:18 AM

i dont believe it, you probably just think its faster
Old 09-21-2005, 09:59 AM

I'm not even going to argue, already been there done that.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:20 PM

you have a new car lol just buy a new aftermarket intake
Old 09-21-2005, 01:27 PM

They are put there to silence the intake air sound, you'll notice this if you run a car without the filter attached. IT iwll sound deeper and more agressive, which is undesirable to regular people, us enthusiast like it however so we won't mind. The gain is from that, the higher end pull proves it as that is where the car will be able to breath better as it will need more air...the chip...as said....does nothing.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:24 PM

I guess removing those POS intake parts is a good free first mod, though I'd rather sit on mine stock (bought it 2 days ago) for a few weeks.

excuse this rather useless post as my chance to introduce myself and my new car
Old 09-21-2005, 09:00 PM

Well as I said, I am waiting for a little while for prices to come down on the intakes. Since it's a new car, everything is at a premium price right now. But that will change as the 2006 becomes more and more popular.

So yes, it's a good freebie to do.....and Welcome to the board!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:14 PM
BJC

If you remove them, can you put them back or do you have to break them off?
Old 09-22-2005, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sarbae
I guess removing those POS intake parts is a good free first mod, though I'd rather sit on mine stock (bought it 2 days ago) for a few weeks.

excuse this rather useless post as my chance to introduce myself and my new car
Welcome!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by BJC
If you remove them, can you put them back or do you have to break them off?
If you take your time, and are careful, you wont break anything. Just don't rush, and keep those stock parts incase you ever decide to sell the car, or trade it in!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:16 AM

Actually the bottom piece, the larger one I coined the diaper, I used a hacksaw to cut it off....but the top one just pulls off.

Most people wouldn't even notice the sound difference, unless they drove it before it was removed.

My wife drives it every once and a while and never noticed any difference in the sound...usually because she's got the radio cranked!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:28 AM

Yeah, I am not expecting this to really make a sound differance. It already sounds pretty good with the short ram on there. I am just trying to justify weather its worth it to actually remove the "Diaper" or not.

Also, there is a way to remove everypart without breaking it
You just have to take your time.
When I did the intake on my old Z24, I rushed, mainly because it was the middle of January and I was freakin cold! But I ended up breaking the stock airbox, as well as the bracket under my fuse box. So I make it a point to examine each part now and figure out the best way to get it out before I try to do it. And if a part wont go, I look for another way rather than force it.
That way I dont get screwed if/when I go to trade it in.

Quick Reply: Finally got an Engine Mod!!