2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

First Custom Road tune on the E16!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Enuff_Said
First off i dont know where you get your info but ITB's do have filters...

Second...not all of us are jumping the boosted banwagon...some of us would rather "waste" our money building muscle w/ metal like over boring and a high comp motor. It doesn't have the sound of a spool or the sound of a BOV....but it does work and is more of a challenge. So dont knock on ITB's....

Are you saying this tune is only for those going boosted or something? You do know there is life BEYOND boost right?
i am not boosted...and wont be for quite a while..i am saying that for a car like ours...at least mine...that is a daily driver...and a track car...it doesnt make sense to spend that type of money for that...what type of gains are we looking at for tis...minimal. your car can only handle so much air...until you do the internals. I was not slamming anyone or knocking on ITB...just saying that it is a waste for most applications
Old 02-27-2008, 08:52 PM

I never knew they made ITB's for our motors.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by NWAE Cobalt
i am not boosted...and wont be for quite a while..i am saying that for a car like ours...at least mine...that is a daily driver...and a track car...it doesnt make sense to spend that type of money for that...what type of gains are we looking at for tis...minimal. your car can only handle so much air...until you do the internals. I was not slamming anyone or knocking on ITB...just saying that it is a waste for most applications
There are plenty of bad ass N/A cars out there that put down serious numbers and are driven on the street. ITB's benefit motors who have high compression and the right cam, head work and other internal options(N/A Motor).Power your looking at about a 15hp gain. And it's not just about getting more air in...ITB's allow the engine to operate more efficiently by decreasing pumping losses to achieve more horsepower and runner length can be tuned. We're also talking about increased TB response. Can it be put on a stock engine...yes...will it increase hp dramatically on a stock engine...no....but w/ the right build these are way better than a single TB. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to tune but we wouldn't be tuning if it was easy. I see what your saying about them but it's just a mater of personal preference. To me i dont see the point of putting on a turbo when you can ONLY have about 6-8 PSI. I would rather build the engine running no boost, no nitrous and see where my engine stands. then maybe later go for turbo. Boost is great and everything...but i've just got sick and tired of all the "wanting to build a turbo," "looking to go turbo," "I NEED BOOST," threads ECT.....anyone can just slap on a turbo once tuning is available and the money is there. I think it just takes a lil more skill to build a motor crank up as opposed to bolt on power adders. A skill i want to improve on...but thats just me...

Originally Posted by tonio5555
I never knew they made ITB's for our motors.
Prototype...I believe they sell them but at a hefty price due to low demand.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:26 PM

touche.....point taken lol
Old 02-27-2008, 09:42 PM

touche.....point taken lol
LOL...ya i know i went a lil **** there...I apologize. But for a all motor engine these really are great.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 AM

they aren't for Ecotecs with electronic throttle bodies anyway

you'd have to convert to cable throttle and likely go standalone
Old 02-28-2008, 02:41 PM

i just dont see the point in that thing..

And no!! there is no dyno yet!! I WILL UPDATE YOU ALL WHEN I DO!!!
Geez ya didnt have to yell LOL
Old 02-28-2008, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by 7Thirty
Geez ya didnt have to yell LOL
lol...sorry...but people need to learn to read before posting...or at least if they post...and then come back and quote themselves looking for an answer....and it was given in a previos post....
Old 02-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
itb + turbo = fun
Old 02-28-2008, 03:19 PM

There are plenty of bad ass N/A cars out there that put down serious numbers and are driven on the street. ITB's benefit motors who have high compression and the right cam, head work and other internal options(N/A Motor).Power your looking at about a 15hp gain. And it's not just about getting more air in...ITB's allow the engine to operate more efficiently by decreasing pumping losses to achieve more horsepower and runner length can be tuned. We're also talking about increased TB response. Can it be put on a stock engine...yes...will it increase hp dramatically on a stock engine...no....but w/ the right build these are way better than a single TB. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to tune but we wouldn't be tuning if it was easy. I see what your saying about them but it's just a mater of personal preference. To me i dont see the point of putting on a turbo when you can ONLY have about 6-8 PSI. I would rather build the engine running no boost, no nitrous and see where my engine stands. then maybe later go for turbo. Boost is great and everything...but i've just got sick and tired of all the "wanting to build a turbo," "looking to go turbo," "I NEED BOOST," threads ECT.....anyone can just slap on a turbo once tuning is available and the money is there. I think it just takes a lil more skill to build a motor crank up as opposed to bolt on power adders. A skill i want to improve on...but thats just me...

Prototype...I believe they sell them but at a hefty price due to low demand.

Im gonna kinda go out on a limb here and say thats stupid. If your going to go all motor, stay all motor. Because if your going to buy high compression pistons you wont be able to run boost later on. You would have wasted money and time building the NA motor that when you add boost into the equation you wont be able to run much at all because your CR is so high. Either stay NA or go all boost. Honestly i've seen just as many 'going all NA build' threads as 'im going turbo' threads. So until I see that you actually did something, your just like the rest of the 'going boosted' guys...
Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
Im gonna kinda go out on a limb here and say thats stupid. If your going to go all motor, stay all motor. Because if your going to buy high compression pistons you wont be able to run boost later on. You would have wasted money and time building the NA motor that when you add boost into the equation you wont be able to run much at all because your CR is so high. Either stay NA or go all boost. Honestly i've seen just as many 'going all NA build' threads as 'im going turbo' threads. So until I see that you actually did something, your just like the rest of the 'going boosted' guys...
I think i remember saying i would maybe go turbo...I think i remember saying it cause i was there when i said it. Second...where are these N/A build threads...i haven't started one yet cause i still haven't put together the parts. I know you where one of the first to jump on the turbo wagon but how hard can it be to slap on a turbo and have SOMEONE ELSE, like Alpine, tune the car for you. It takes a lot more time and effort to build an NA or a advanced turbo set up which i have yet to see you do. I wouldn't see it as time wasted...just good fun.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
you need to learn how to tune before one makes assumptions about compression and boost. you can get away with a lot if you know the key elements of making the motor happy
Old 02-28-2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Area47
you need to learn how to tune before one makes assumptions about compression and boost. you can get away with a lot if you know the key elements of making the motor happy
TROOF.... but you guys are getting in WAAAAYYYY over your head! And I forsee some dissapointed people, here sometime soon!
Old 02-28-2008, 04:00 PM

I think i remember saying i would maybe go turbo...I think i remember saying it cause i was there when i said it. Second...where are these N/A build threads...i haven't started one yet cause i still haven't put together the parts. I know you where one of the first to jump on the turbo wagon but how hard can it be to slap on a turbo and have SOMEONE ELSE, like Alpine, tune the car for you. It takes a lot more time and effort to build an NA or a advanced turbo set up which i have yet to see you do. I wouldn't see it as time wasted...just good fun.
Wow they bolted a turbo on for me. They tuned it in Denver... Thats it. Did they retune it in boise or rebuild my motor? No.. I did. No one has done anything but slap the turbo on. I was going to do it myself in the first place but I was offered a great deal in the process and I figured I'd try and help out the community a bit. And you think I dont know what its like to build an 'advanced turbo setup'. What do you think I have been doing? Id be on the road right now if I werent TDY.

Im just saying you SOUND just like the rest of them when saying what you did. Oh, and there are a good 2-3 active NA build threads right now. This tuning solution is not geared towards crazy NA builds. If your going to do that, you should be looking at a standalone. But whatever it is you decide to do, good luck because a fast cobalt is a fast cobalt in my mind.

Last edited by Sw4y1313; 02-28-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:42 PM

Old 02-28-2008, 07:42 PM

lol...sorry...but people need to learn to read before posting...or at least if they post...and then come back and quote themselves looking for an answer....and it was given in a previos post....
Ive been checking on the thread but your "next week dyno" post was lost in the thread jacking lol.. i'll keep checking in
Old 02-28-2008, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by M-Dub
TROOF.... but you guys are getting in WAAAAYYYY over your head! And I forsee some dissapointed people, here sometime soon!
SOME dissapointed people? I see alot more than that. Im a 2.2 and I'm not getting my hopes up.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:36 AM

none of this really matters anyway if testing never makes its way to an Ion
Old 02-29-2008, 01:08 AM

that wont ever happen, saturns are too fast as is

j/k

One of these days im gonna pick your brain bout n2o lol
Old 02-29-2008, 05:46 AM

Okay, my bad a lot of dissapointed people!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:04 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
If this turns out to be a fluke I'm going to drive up to washington and beat NWAE Cobalts ass for getting our hopes up.

J/k it just takes time. There aren't open dynos at convinence stores or something. Appointments take time.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by steddy2112
Ok.

Real slow now.

Listnen...read...whatever...why would a car that makes less power need more fuel?

The way you are thinking...******* vettes would get 3928472938749238 MPG
just to mess with you guys my 5.7l lt1 uses 32 pound injectors and it makes alot more power than my 2.0l cobalt motor and the cobalt has 42's in it ha ha ha just to mess with you guys a bit

also my wifes 2.2 revs to 7k from the factory. whats all this talk about raising the rev limiter to 7k. unless they changed them for diff years. hers is an 07. will the tuning work for this car? i told her we might be able to tune it a bit she got all excited, i hope it will work for her motor

Last edited by freakta; 02-29-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by freakta
just to mess with you guys my 5.7l lt1 uses 32 pound injectors and it makes alot more power than my 2.0l cobalt motor and the cobalt has 42's in it ha ha ha just to mess with you guys a bit

also my wifes 2.2 revs to 7k from the factory. whats all this talk about raising the rev limiter to 7k. unless they changed them for diff years. hers is an 07. will the tuning work for this car? i told her we might be able to tune it a bit she got all excited, i hope it will work for her motor
this is madness

whats this basphamy you speak of. i demand videos of this

ur not right.

:s pam:
Old 02-29-2008, 10:45 AM

your LT1 also has 8 injectors instead of 4

are you sure about this? does she have stage 2?
Old 02-29-2008, 10:50 AM

its the real deal i can say Vince is one smart ***** jumper! he knows his ****!

Quick Reply: First Custom Road tune on the E16!