2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Following my 2.2 N/A Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following my 2.2 N/A Build

Alright so here's what I am doing. Currently I own an 06 2.2 (L61) and I have decided to go N/A because I just don't see me ever having the time to throw on a turbo or s/c or having the time to tear the block apart and build up. So overall my plan is to turn my 2.2 into a lab rat for all the other 2.2 guys and show them what a 2.2 is capable of without block work, and I know this sounds like a long shot but hopefully cracking 14s and thus having the fastest N/A 1/4 mile time. But if not at least this will be a good guide for others.

So ALL of my mods are as followed:
Injen CAI w/hyrdoshield pre filter & splash/heat shield, Jet Performance MAF (flashed stock unit), Weapon-R Enigne Damper, Ebay Short Throw Shifter, DC Sports Strut Bar, Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors, Russell Steel Braided Brake Lines, and Dunlop FP Sport Tires 215/40/18.

I have but haven't installed:
2.4 Intake Mani Swap, Cobalt-Addiction Underdrive Pulley, and MRZPerformance Lightweight Alternator Pulley.

Things that I will be ordering by May because my job owes me $$$ (long story):
ZZPerformance Header/DP combo, custom bent exhaust, 2.4 TB swap, Triffecta Tune, and hopefully ZZPerformance solid engine mount along with prothane tranny mounts

I will be continually be updating everyone about how the build is coming and when things are installed and what is going on. I will also try to add photos too.

So discuss, offer advice or whatever just no flaming, I already know it's cheaper to go turbo or slap a bottle on it blah blah blah or you'll never see 200whp without head work yadda yadda. This is really to go out and prove what a 2.2 can do and to help any other 2.2's that might need help

Last edited by 1niceLS; 03-14-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:40 PM

Probably wanna put this in the L61 section...
Old 03-12-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Illini_06SS
Probably wanna put this in the L61 section...
x2, and that setup wont get u much unless u have cams, otherwise ur looking at like 175 w/ that stuff. ur basically installing all 2.4 parts on a 2.2. u have 2.4TB and mani, and intake/exhaust. so basically a bolted 2.4, which would put u at 175-185.

if u want any serious hp gains ur gonna need high comp pistons and adjustable cam/cam gears to get more fuel/air into the engine, which is where ur power comes from. and porting would help a lot to, but im not trying to rain on ur parade or anything. i have a 2.2l also, and its just not worth the money for an N/A build on the 2.2. power adders are far cheaper, more efficient, and offer much more power.

but otherwise, gl w/ the build and post some dyno numbers.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by bsbllscnd970
x2, and that setup wont get u much unless u have cams, otherwise ur looking at like 175 w/ that stuff. ur basically installing all 2.4 parts on a 2.2. u have 2.4TB and mani, and intake/exhaust. so basically a bolted 2.4, which would put u at 175-185.

if u want any serious hp gains ur gonna need high comp pistons and adjustable cam/cam gears to get more fuel/air into the engine, which is where ur power comes from. and porting would help a lot to, but im not trying to rain on ur parade or anything. i have a 2.2l also, and its just not worth the money for an N/A build on the 2.2. power adders are far cheaper, more efficient, and offer much more power.

but otherwise, gl w/ the build and post some dyno numbers.
This.

You may be unique, but at the end of the day you'll be spending more for less.

Good luck anyhow OP.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:24 PM

i think there are some ppl that have done pretty extensive N/A builds, try looking around and seeing at wat kind of numbers they have achieved.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:29 PM

I'm in the same boat. I'm in the process of doing a 2.2 NA build. I know it's gonna take alot of money, but its the whole fact of doing it. Not too many people are building NA anymore.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:32 PM

Yeah I understand that I will be paying more for less but seeing as I don't have time to strip and build up that's not an option so I figured I d do a greater good by helping others in seeing what an N/A balt can do. Plus I guess I will be originally wouldn't I I also know I m gonna get flamed alot for trying this but I just don't understand why someone would bash somebody for trying something different? But oh well let them hate.

And I will post up progress picks and dyno #'s when I can
Old 03-12-2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1niceLS
Yeah I understand that I will be paying more for less but seeing as I don't have time to strip and build up that's not an option so I figured I d do a greater good by helping others in seeing what an N/A balt can do. Plus I guess I will be originally wouldn't I I also know I m gonna get flamed alot for trying this but I just don't understand why someone would bash somebody for trying something different? But oh well let them hate.

And I will post up progress picks and dyno #'s when I can
i wasnt flaming in my thread, sry if it seemed like it. and yea u would be original, so make sure u give plenty of how-tos, vids and dynos.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by hoffs07cobaltLT
I'm in the same boat. I'm in the process of doing a 2.2 NA build. I know it's gonna take alot of money, but its the whole fact of doing it. Not too many people are building NA anymore.
X2 N/A ftw it's people like you that aprreciate this kind of thing although we know we wont throw down big #'s because it's only a 4 banger but if anyone really wants big #'s from N/A they shouldn't be doing it with a 4 cylinder

Originally Posted by bsbllscnd970
i wasnt flaming in my thread, sry if it seemed like it. and yea u would be original, so make sure u give plenty of how-tos, vids and dynos.
No it's fine never said you were I m mainly waiting for the SS/SC and TC guys to come around and start bashing but your cool didn't take it as bashing, plus your a 2.2 also so oh and I ll make sure I ll post as many how-tos, vids and dynos as possible.

by the way does anybodyknow how i can move this to the 2.2 or mods could you do it for me

Last edited by 1niceLS; 03-12-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-12-2009, 03:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ill throw in my comments when i get home tonight....i have a LOT of comments
Old 03-12-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
ill throw in my comments when i get home tonight....i have a LOT of comments
good or bad
Old 03-13-2009, 08:38 AM

The only thing i'm putting on my car that would take it out of the NA category would be Nitrous. I'm still debating weather or not to put it on.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:22 AM

i am fully bolted accept for cams. and i hate to say it but if your looking for hp, save and do f/i. you wont make as much as you think. or at least i didnt.

my mods-CAI, 2.4L mani, CA header/dp combo, Magnaflow catback, trifecta tune. i only hit 150-160ish on a dynojet dyno and was disapointed with that.

i even bought spray when i couldnt find any cams for the 07s, this was like a year ago- i know there is some now, and now im taking the spray off and selling it. it just takes so much to get an 2.2NA to make any power and be fun to drive.

im not trying to bash but i just figured id give you a heads up before you got into it too far
Old 03-13-2009, 07:02 PM

It's no big deal. Just experience. I apperciate the info. I'm making a car that has what it needs but not too much. Just a nice daily thats good on gas and can go when needed.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:35 AM

Alright so here's what I am doing. Currently I own an 06 2.2 (L61) and I have decided to go N/A because I just don't see me ever having the time to throw on a turbo or s/c or having the time to tear the block apart and build up. So overall my plan is to have the fastest 2.2 N/A plus no block work I know people are gonna tell it's stupid but this thread is more for the 2.2 guys who just want to bolt up and see what they are capable of throwing down.

So ALL of my mods are as followed:
Injen CAI w/hyrdoshield pre filter & splash/heat shield, Jet Performance MAF (flashed stock unit), Weapon-R Enigne Damper, Ebay Short Throw Shifter, DC Sports Strut Bar, Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors, Russell Steel Braided Brake Lines, and Dunlop FP Sport Tires 215/40/18.

I have but haven't installed:
2.4 Intake Mani Swap, Cobalt-Addiction Underdrive Pulley, and MRZPerformance Lightweight Alternator Pulley.

Things that I will be ordering by May because my job owes me $$$ (long story):
ZZPerformance Header/DP combo, custom bent exhaust, 2.4 TB swap, Triffecta Tune, and hopefully ZZPerformance solid engine mount along with prothane tranny mounts

I will be continually be updating everyone about how the build is coming and when things are installed and what is going on. I will also try to add photos too.

So discuss, offer advice or whatever just no flaming, I already know it's cheaper to go turbo or slap a bottle on it blah blah blah or you'll never see 200whp without head work yadda yadda. This is really to go out and prove what a 2.2 can do and to help any other 2.2's that might need help
ok..less comments than i thought. but anyway, the JET stuff is worthless. Nothing is wrong with our stock MAF, and it is not a restriction, so replacing it is a waste of cash. Their module is also a waste of cash since you're getting a real tune via trifecta anyway. The engine damper is a waste because they frequently break over time, and mounts will work better and be more reliable in the long run. i'd say you'll get maybe 150whp btw
Old 03-14-2009, 09:08 AM

ok..less comments than i thought. but anyway, the JET stuff is worthless. Nothing is wrong with our stock MAF, and it is not a restriction, so replacing it is a waste of cash. Their module is also a waste of cash since you're getting a real tune via trifecta anyway. The engine damper is a waste because they frequently break over time, and mounts will work better and be more reliable in the long run. i'd say you'll get maybe 150whp btw
First off the reason for the purchase of the Jet MAF was because I threw the lean code and I thought the problem was the MAF sensor so I replaced it only to find out it was a loose wire and I didn't think about getting tuned prior to ordering so my mistake. Second I already know the modules are a waste because I am eventually getting tuned, but thanks for the input there. Third I didn't know about that about the damper so thanks but I did state eventually I was going to get solid mounts, and fourth theres no way you really think that after all the mods listed: CAI, 2.4TB, 2.4 Mani, Header/DP combo, Exhaust, UDP, Lightweight Alternator Pulley, Tune, etc. that I will only dyno done 150 maybe with what I have now yeah but after the total build I don't think so. But that's just IMO, but to each his own and thanks for the input anyway.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:05 AM

This is not meant to be a flame, but the car is going to have a lot of money into it and still be really slow. Why not buy a set of cams? It's still NA and it would do a ton more than any of your other mods. The way to make more horsepower is to increase volumetric efficiency, and bolt-ons just don't change VE like a nice set of cams would.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:32 AM

^^Exactly, OP what you just listed is just a basic bolt on 2.2L nothing more. I had basically the exact same setup you listed minus the pullies which don't do much if anything and the car was Trifecta tuned. The car was "quick" but you aren't going to get any impressive times or HP numbers without going into the motor, cams, high compression pistons etc. That would be considered a bulid not bolt ons.

Not trying to put you down or anything but tons of other guys have this exact setup as well. I suggest go F/I or do a real N/A build and get into the engine components. Good luck though.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by randizzle
This is not meant to be a flame, but the car is going to have a lot of money into it and still be really slow. Why not buy a set of cams? It's still NA and it would do a ton more than any of your other mods. The way to make more horsepower is to increase volumetric efficiency, and bolt-ons just don't change VE like a nice set of cams would.
Yes I know but like I said I could do cams but I honestly do not have the down time right now to throw in cams or trust me I would. I go to work at night and go to college full time plus I dont believe I have that kinda money right now to buy them maybe come this summer but still it's just I have a busy schedule and I it takes no time at all to throw on some bolt ons so every rare once and a while when I get a small amount of time I throw on some parts. But thanks for the input and maybe someday I might but till then this thread is to show the 2.2 guys what works and what doesn't and what to expect from a trully bolted 2.2 not just intake exhaust tune. So I m kinda turning my balt into a guniea pig for the better of all 2.2 owners
Old 03-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sooooooooo...you're getting intake, exhaust, 2.4tb, and a tune....
Old 03-14-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by EvilleCobalt
^^Exactly, OP what you just listed is just a basic bolt on 2.2L nothing more. I had basically the exact same setup you listed minus the pullies which don't do much if anything and the car was Trifecta tuned. The car was "quick" but you aren't going to get any impressive times or HP numbers without going into the motor, cams, high compression pistons etc. That would be considered a bulid not bolt ons.

Not trying to put you down or anything but tons of other guys have this exact setup as well. I suggest go F/I or do a real N/A build and get into the engine components. Good luck though.
Ok again let me state I AM NOT GOING FOR REAL POWER. This is simply gonna be a test 2.2 to let others know what works what doesnt and so fourth. If I wanted to make real power I wouldn't have bought a cobalt. The cobalt is nice to have as a fun, quick fuel efficient dd and thats exactly why I bought it. But please by no means do not think I am bashing cobalts because they can be fast, I would actually really like to get my hands on a new TC because those bitches are bad the s/c's are pretty nice too but considering I already have a 1971 Mustang Convertible that me and my father are restoring and I eventually want to drop a 351 in it so I don't need a fast car I need a fun fuel efficient one and thats where the cobalt came into play. But thanks for the input.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

So overall my plan is to have the fastest 2.2 N/A plus no block work
so what happened there?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
sooooooooo...you're getting intake, exhaust, 2.4tb, and a tune....
Yes the 2.4 intake and tb, tune, full exhaust, solid engine mount, tranny mounts, and I just started planning on possibly getting a stage clutch, and or lightweight flywheel, and I think after that that's all there is left except suspension mods which will be the last part of this "build" i.e. eibach springs, sway bars, and camber kit. Sorry if anyone finds this stupid I just thought it would be a help to answer some questions the 2.2s had and to see what the 2.2 could do without block work. Plus I have never seen a 2.2 with all this on it, everyone just puts a bottle or turbo up to it and is finished.

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
so what happened there?
Sorry guess I got a little carried away when talking about the "build" . But what I m trying to get at is I am trying to shoot for the best 1/4 mile time on here N/A but that won't mean I have real power or that I am fast it simply means I got the thing to run 14s so maybe I should edit that part . Thanks for pointing that out by the way.

Thread Edited*

Last edited by 1niceLS; 03-14-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-14-2009, 03:31 PM

i understand this

Ok again let me state I AM NOT GOING FOR REAL POWER. This is simply gonna be a test 2.2 to let others know what works what doesnt and so fourth. If I wanted to make real power I wouldn't have bought a cobalt. The cobalt is nice to have as a fun, quick fuel efficient dd and thats exactly why I bought it. But please by no means do not think I am bashing cobalts because they can be fast, I would actually really like to get my hands on a new TC because those bitches are bad the s/c's are pretty nice too but considering I already have a 1971 Mustang Convertible that me and my father are restoring and I eventually want to drop a 351 in it so I don't need a fast car I need a fun fuel efficient one and thats where the cobalt came into play. But thanks for the input.
i dont understand this
and fourth theres no way you really think that after all the mods listed...that I will only dyno done 150
you said it yourself, you arent going for power...and you wont get power. i stick with my 150whp. maybe 160whp if you're on a happy dyno, but thats really pushing it. Basically, you'll have a 2.4l with exhaust. The bolt on 2.4's have around 155-160whp, but you'll be missing .2l, VVT, and you'll hve a lower compression than them...so i will be amazed if you hit 160whp

i just dont want you to get disappointed when you go dyno your car
Old 03-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

then you better be doing your suspension, wheel/tire, launch mechanism, and weight homework if you want to hit 14s with a 2.2 with intake, exhaust, tune, and a 2.4tb. pm me if you want some help on this

Quick Reply: Following my 2.2 N/A Build