2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Following my 2.2 N/A Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by burzumaske20
Only longtube header you will run into is pacesetter,not the cheap ass one either,when I first open the box,the header was huge and also i put the stock header and the pacesetter right next to each other,which the pacesetter is much longer then the stock header.It was a good buy though and worth the little extra hp.Warning though you will need a custom downpipe made,since its 2 bolts that connect.
clear image makes a longer tube 4-2-1 header

Originally Posted by 1niceLS
Not trying to put words in his mouth but with the block work he's doing the more flow he can get the better. That's all N/A is, how well you can get the engine to flow/breathe and burn fuel (for the most part)
you got it, the better flow the better lol, my header makes great scavaging and pulls the air through, and partly cause thats what dan had when i went in

the catless with the 3" Sounds AWESOME!!! thats what the 3" does for me, sound lol, i have a 2.5" catless dp for a lil bit fo back pressure...although i dont want so much of that as full suction

ill keep the you (the op) updated on numbers and such though, just picked up the replacement valvetrain to replace some of mine with

Last edited by NWAE Cobalt; 04-06-2009 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-24-2009, 02:33 PM

Any updates on your build?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by vaderbalt
Any updates on your build?
Sorry I have been extremely busy with work and college my schedule has been crazy im actually in the home stretch of my college career only 4 classes left. But anyway I did some more work this weekend for the college park meet this weekend. I finally installed the 2.4 intake mani and I must say I am very impressed. Hands down it is the best mod I have bought for the car so far. Once you hit about 4K RPMs it pulls like a **** I know this is a performance build but I also installed 1st gen projectors and I repainted my brake calipers black for the meet. So so far the total build thus far consists of:

Injen CAI, Jet MAF, 2.4L Intake Manifold, Weapon-R Engine Damper, DC Sports Strut Bar, CA UDP, MRZ Lightweight Alternator Pulley, eBay Short Throw Shifter, Dunlop FP Sport 215/40/18 tires

Unfortunately I was told by my parents that until I get a full-time job and/or pay rent no more car parts. So since I don't have the money to move out and they'll kick me out if I don't respect there wishes I m gonna have to wait a little while until I can start buying stuff again However I do believe that they will be buying me Sportlines as my graduation present But the plan of attack is as follows as far as performance purchases go:

TTR Engine Mount, TTR Tranny Mounts, Custom Mandrel Bent 2.5" Exhaust, Header(haven't picked one yet), Downpipe (haven't picked one yet), 2.4L Throttle Body, Tune

After that I believe I have no where else to go except block work and as I said I simply don't have the time for that, but then again I will be graduating in not too long so who knows maybe I might be able to work on the block down the road. But for now this is it. Sorry about taking so long to post an update just been swamped and thanks for the curiousity makes me think someones interested
Old 04-27-2009, 01:10 PM

Sorry I have been extremely busy with work and college my schedule has been crazy im actually in the home stretch of my college career only 4 classes left. But anyway I did some more work this weekend for the college park meet this weekend. I finally installed the 2.4 intake mani and I must say I am very impressed. Hands down it is the best mod I have bought for the car so far. Once you hit about 4K RPMs it pulls like a **** I know this is a performance build but I also installed 1st gen projectors and I repainted my brake calipers black for the meet. So so far the total build thus far consists of:

Injen CAI, Jet MAF, 2.4L Intake Manifold, Weapon-R Engine Damper, DC Sports Strut Bar, CA UDP, MRZ Lightweight Alternator Pulley, eBay Short Throw Shifter, Dunlop FP Sport 215/40/18 tires

Unfortunately I was told by my parents that until I get a full-time job and/or pay rent no more car parts. So since I don't have the money to move out and they'll kick me out if I don't respect there wishes I m gonna have to wait a little while until I can start buying stuff again However I do believe that they will be buying me Sportlines as my graduation present But the plan of attack is as follows as far as performance purchases go:

TTR Engine Mount, TTR Tranny Mounts, Custom Mandrel Bent 2.5" Exhaust, Header(haven't picked one yet), Downpipe (haven't picked one yet), 2.4L Throttle Body, Tune

After that I believe I have no where else to go except block work and as I said I simply don't have the time for that, but then again I will be graduating in not too long so who knows maybe I might be able to work on the block down the road. But for now this is it. Sorry about taking so long to post an update just been swamped and thanks for the curiousity makes me think someones interested
just so you you know, you wont need the engine dampner once you have the mount, andi would make sure you know what header and dp you get before the exhaust cause some of them dont bolt to the stock locations.
and you can always install cams, if done right it can be done in one day..
Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by NWAE Cobalt
just so you you know, you wont need the engine dampner once you have the mount, andi would make sure you know what header and dp you get before the exhaust cause some of them dont bolt to the stock locations.
and you can always install cams, if done right it can be done in one day..
I kinda figured that about the engine damper and yeah thats always been one of my concerns about the header/dp and exhaust since I m getting custom bent I m gonna have to find a header and downpipe that mocks up and a downpipe with a weld-on exit. I m really thinking about getting the ZZP header/dp combo with the highflow cat option.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:56 PM

Ok so I have an update since it's been so long. I plan on sometime next week going to the junkyard and picking up a 2.4 TB and installing it. This might not be the biggest event but there's something special about this, here it is. I was talking with another member on this forum a week or so ago about the JET MAF Sensor and he claims that after he installed his JET MAF he was able to install the 2.4 TB without going into limp mode and it has been running fine ever since. So I am going to try this myself and let everyone know about my findings because as of so far the only way to get the 2.4 TB to work on a 2.2 was to get Trifecta tuned (seeing as it's the only "real" tune for the 2.2). This way I could report roughly how much of a hp gain you get out of just the TB and if this works (not bashing the other member that told me about this im just a skeptic that's all). I have also come to a better decision as to what kind of exhaust I m going to pick up when I get the money. Also college is almost over with and I plan on working full time so Stage 2 cams is looking like a possibilty finally.

Other than that the balt has been fine and no other changes have been made other than changing the spark plugs because I had some sputtering and surging going on but I guess thats what happens when they have almost 60K miles on them
Old 06-05-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
id be willing to bet that its because his stock MAF got fucked up...not because the jet maf is anything special
Old 06-05-2009, 03:45 PM

Ok so I have an update since it's been so long. I plan on sometime next week going to the junkyard and picking up a 2.4 TB and installing it. This might not be the biggest event but there's something special about this, here it is. I was talking with another member on this forum a week or so ago about the JET MAF Sensor and he claims that after he installed his JET MAF he was able to install the 2.4 TB without going into limp mode and it has been running fine ever since. So I am going to try this myself and let everyone know about my findings because as of so far the only way to get the 2.4 TB to work on a 2.2 was to get Trifecta tuned (seeing as it's the only "real" tune for the 2.2). This way I could report roughly how much of a hp gain you get out of just the TB and if this works (not bashing the other member that told me about this im just a skeptic that's all). I have also come to a better decision as to what kind of exhaust I m going to pick up when I get the money. Also college is almost over with and I plan on working full time so Stage 2 cams is looking like a possibilty finally.

Other than that the balt has been fine and no other changes have been made other than changing the spark plugs because I had some sputtering and surging going on but I guess thats what happens when they have almost 60K miles on them
just know that when you cam it...it becomes a whole other car and is not just loud anymore, and i enjoy it, but i dont have to commute much at all and like driving it...but on long trips we take the gf's car...cause well....we just want an easy ride
Old 06-05-2009, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
id be willing to bet that its because his stock MAF got fucked up...not because the jet maf is anything special
He thought his MAF was dirty or possibly broken so that's why he did replace it but even if the stock MAF was in 100% correct working order it wouldn't be able to compensate for the 2.4 TB anybody who has ever tried says the car goes into limp mode

just know that when you cam it...it becomes a whole other car and is not just loud anymore, and i enjoy it, but i dont have to commute much at all and like driving it...but on long trips we take the gf's car...cause well....we just want an easy ride
I commute a lot hence the 60K miles, well maybe not so much anymore since college is almost over, but I like loud I think I'd be happier than a pig in **** Oh and one quick question with the stage 2 cams where does the power kick in? Is it spread evenly throughout the whole RPM range or does it have a sweet spot where it starts to pull? Because I remember when I installed the 2.4 Mani it really didn;t kick in untill about 4K RPMs

Oh also know that when I finish everything I m guning for that #1 fastest N/A 2.2 spot Nothing like a little friendly competition right

Last edited by 1niceLS; 06-05-2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-05-2009, 07:20 PM

He thought his MAF was dirty or possibly broken so that's why he did replace it but even if the stock MAF was in 100% correct working order it wouldn't be able to compensate for the 2.4 TB anybody who has ever tried says the car goes into limp mode

I commute a lot hence the 60K miles, well maybe not so much anymore since college is almost over, but I like loud I think I'd be happier than a pig in **** Oh and one quick question with the stage 2 cams where does the power kick in? Is it spread evenly throughout the whole RPM range or does it have a sweet spot where it starts to pull? Because I remember when I installed the 2.4 Mani it really didn;t kick in untill about 4K RPMs

Oh also know that when I finish everything I m guning for that #1 fastest N/A 2.2 spot Nothing like a little friendly competition right
it does have "lag" lol mine kicks in at about 4k and pulls like a ****

and good luck btw, itll be nice...but just an fyi...next performance step for this car is to build a second engine ground up for n/a....
Old 06-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Slobodan Milošević

Received 215 Likes on 175 Posts
i have a 2.2 with full bolt ons and a 2.4 mani. no tune

161/148 but they stopped at 6300rpm and the power was still climbing. i could have squeezed out 1-2 more hp before the rev limiter

mustang dyno
Old 06-05-2009, 07:50 PM

mine WAS 181, but since afr is fixed dyno operator extimates 190 to the wheels (need to redyno to be sure on that one lol).
Old 06-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Slobodan Milošević

yeah but with 2.4 tb, cams, shaved head, and a tune more than me

not calling you out, just saying. not meant to sound attacking, sorry if it did

Last edited by 07blackg5; 06-05-2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-05-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by 07blackg5
yeah but with 2.4 tb, cams, shaved head, and a tune more than me

not calling you out, just saying. not meant to sound attacking, sorry if it did
you betcha lol

you didnt im just still living the high of my car it hasnt been that long since i got her runnign again

Last edited by NWAE Cobalt; 06-05-2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-05-2009, 08:06 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Illini_06SS
Probably wanna put this in the L61 section...

i am looking for a sports exhaust for my 2008 cobalt lt that will make it sound loader then my stock exhaust.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Slobodan Milošević

i was going to go that route, but to spend about a grand, and put a lot of work in for 20hp/tq isnt worth it to me right now. i'm just going to tune it and call it a day. i will be happy with 165/154 ish to the wheels
Old 06-05-2009, 08:10 PM

thats not too shabby either...im just addicted to modding it and REALLLLY want to keep it N/A lol...(it lasts longer engine wise then boost anyway lol)
Old 06-05-2009, 11:05 PM

a big to you 1niceLS. im in the process of doing the same thing. unfortunately, you and i are in the same boat, so money and time is at a premium. heres my 2cents about doing a n/a "build" instead of going fi. modding my car is my HOBBY and id rather do mods over time than just get a sc/tc and be done with it. wheres the fun in that? for the guys that did sc/tc their 2.2s, but eh its just not for me (or should i say for us ) i dont street race or take my car to the track, so i dont need all that power. all i want is for my car to have a little more giddy up than when i got it. i did want to go fi before, but i guess i made the logical decision...2.2 n/a ftw!

oh and btw n/a is A LOT less expensive than going turbo

i have a long way to go but im eventually joining THIS race
Old 06-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Slobodan Milošević

it does have "lag" lol mine kicks in at about 4k and pulls like a ****
mine does the same thing. it even changes the sound it makes at 4 grand.

eco-tak baby
Old 06-06-2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by 07blackg5
mine does the same thing. it even changes the sound it makes at 4 grand.

eco-tak baby
good stuff
Old 06-07-2009, 08:40 AM

gl w the build man, im wanting to do the same thing but with a built bottom end, ported head, balance shaft eliminated, and a few other misc things, as well as attempt to tune it myself lol

does anyone know of a crank for 2.2s? i would like to do that too but i dont want to drop 3 grand on the gmpp billett one and destroke it(wtf is that all about???)
Old 06-07-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by constantproject
gl w the build man, im wanting to do the same thing but with a built bottom end, ported head, balance shaft eliminated, and a few other misc things, as well as attempt to tune it myself lol

does anyone know of a crank for 2.2s? i would like to do that too but i dont want to drop 3 grand on the gmpp billett one and destroke it(wtf is that all about???)
Nope sorry man the only one I know about is the gmpp one I don't know of any others.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:10 PM

i know you dont wanna go fi...but man i put an intake and exhaust on the car....and was like really i feel suck a small difference you can run a safe turbo at 6-8 psi for under 2700$ which is definaltey less when your gonna be touching cams,pistons. If your really set on being original gl. Just keep in mind why spend more money for less hp
Old 06-08-2009, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by StrongIslandBalter
i know you dont wanna go fi...but man i put an intake and exhaust on the car....and was like really i feel suck a small difference you can run a safe turbo at 6-8 psi for under 2700$ which is definaltey less when your gonna be touching cams,pistons. If your really set on being original gl. Just keep in mind why spend more money for less hp
cams and pistons wont even cost $2000
Old 06-08-2009, 05:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jnicks510
neither would FI... lol

Originally Posted by jnicks510
neither would FI... lol

Last edited by HunterKiller89; 06-08-2009 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Following my 2.2 N/A Build