2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Forged?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRemorse
Hi, I am 'NoRemorse' and I have 275whp for over 15k miles, my stock clutch holding up for a total of 26k miles. My car is very reliable.

It's not hype.
Hi, you have plans to build the motor for a reason.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
Hi, you have plans to build the motor for a reason.
Hello, because I am going for well over 400whp

lol, this is fun. (the greeting that is)
Old 02-06-2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by bc3tech
and w/ an extra $900 i can pick up an LSJ trans locally, then swap my pulley.

my point was the two engines on equal platforms, 2.2 would make more hp.i have no clue what you just said.

when did i ever say it was a deal? a better deal? or that i got a deal? or am making a deal? are we on deal or no deal? i don't even think the word deal came off my keyboard.

i'm bored w/ this thread now. the shortbuss has now infected otherwise respectable people and it's a shame.
The trans qote was in response to someone saying that no getrags have broken compared to the cobalts

no the 2.2 would perform better...THEY ARE DESIGNED THE WAY THEY ARE...stock for stock 2.0 is better...tho when my bottom end goes (if it does) im using a forged 2.2 crank, rods, and pistons to make a 2.2L LSJ assuming when i research it the dimensional specs are the same...tho the reluctor rings are different so that would have to be swapped

ur claimin that if they made a 2.2 lsj it would make more hp then a 2.0...most likely but they never did and they wont...your argueing a pointless point we all know displacement = power generally but they are not making a lsj spec 2.2. You are incorrectly using basic engine design concepts to support a pointless arguement for a hypothetical situation.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned

I never said braking is no important. You read way to far into things.

Go REREAD IT and try again.

Heres a hint, the braking caused by drums is comparable to that generated by discs. Its a very true fact.

But the SS's don't have drums on the rear because GM couldn't possibly put drums on a sport edition of a vehicle, especially with high priced rims

Originally Posted by djt81185
The trans qote was in response to someone saying that no getrags have broken compared to the cobalts

no the 2.2 would perform better...THEY ARE DESIGNED THE WAY THEY ARE...stock for stock 2.0 is better...tho when my bottom end goes (if it does) im using a forged 2.2 crank, rods, and pistons to make a 2.2L LSJ assuming when i research it the dimensional specs are the same...tho the reluctor rings are different so that would have to be swapped

ur claimin that if they made a 2.2 lsj it would make more hp then a 2.0...most likely but they never did and they wont...your argueing a pointless point we all know displacement = power generally but they are not making a lsj spec 2.2. You are incorrectly using basic engine design concepts to support a pointless arguement for a hypothetical situation.
technically theres a lot of 2.2 ecotec's in drag cars making over 1000HP. But we won't go there. Too much crap to argue that last time it happened there was a lot of crap and bannings and what not.

But do the research

Last edited by rally; 02-06-2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-06-2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06

Heres a hint, the braking caused by drums is comparable to that generated by discs. Its a very true fact.

But the SS's don't have drums on the rear because GM couldn't possibly put drums on a sport edition of a vehicle, especially with high priced rims
DRUMS != DISCS!!! Why dont they just use drums all around then huh?

discs can be vented, and you can put a lot more force on the disc, than you can on a drum!!!

technically theres a lot of 2.2 ecotec's in drag cars making over 1000HP. But we won't go there. Too much crap to argue that last time it happened there was a lot of crap and bannings and what not.

But do the research
I'd hardly call those an L61 or an LSJ, so that argument is pointless.

Last edited by NoRemorse; 02-06-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-06-2007, 07:26 PM

Rear disc's on a cobalt really don't do that much, there not oh so superior. The main reason an ss has rear disc is because the sports model has been established to have the "best" available. Even though the rear discs arent that great.

Suspension is easily obtainable by several easy mods and only comes into effect really for road racing
So suspension mods are free now? Were arguing $/performance. Also better factor a 5 lug swap in there...stronger and more reliable

damn they shoulda put drums on the base corvette then and discs only on the z06 cause it doesnt do much and isnt superior and the z06 badge is only for the best available then correct?

But do the research
My gm stake body truck with 23000lb gross weight has rear disc brakes...and it has steel wheels u cant even see thru...wanna know why they are there? They stop loads better...not cause its the sport model

You have more contact area on a disc then a drum
You have more cooling on a disc then a drum
You can provide a greater clamping load on a disc then a drum

Now semi's use drums only because the size disc needed would be massive...instead they use like 11" wide drums to provide the contact area they need...then again they dont race those...and when they do...they have water injectors on the drums to cool em down.

ALSO the 1000hp ecotecs arent even really 2.2s any more...lsj heads, cnc forged block, methanol, mechanical fuel pump, motec engine controller, only thing they really have in common is displacement number

Last edited by djt81185; 02-06-2007 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-06-2007, 07:33 PM

like i said befor who cares who is better. were here for the same reason. hopefully not arguing. its anoying. thats my opinion, lets just fugure out whats best for the 2.2
Old 02-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=06Pursuit;818126]Hey guys guess what? OFF TOPIC!!!!!!! CLOSE THIS ****!!! QUOTE]

great contribution... lets not solve anything and pretend this talk never happened
Old 02-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Banned

I'm done arguing guys, **** this thread and half the people in it. Seriously if half of you can't see both sides of an argument then its useless.

And you realize a majority of the braking is done by the front brakes correct?

And no where in my statement did I say free suspenison mods, learn to read
Old 02-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Banned

And to answer his original question without caring about his taste or prefrences I'd say throw some rods, pistons, and upgrade your clutch with a turbo running 7psi dd tune, and 15 psi race tune. good luck.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:35 PM

I'm done arguing guys, **** this thread and half the people in it. Seriously if half of you can't see both sides of an argument then its useless.

And you realize a majority of the braking is done by the front brakes correct?

And no where in my statement did I say free suspenison mods, learn to read
Well, in the PM I responded to from you, maybe you can realize I do see both sides of this argument.

I know BC3 knows where I am coming from on that.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned

Thanks maybe now we can get somewhere...
Old 02-06-2007, 07:41 PM

Hello, because I am going for well over 400whp

lol, this is fun. (the greeting that is)
hi, couldn't get financing on an Evo?

ok I'm going home now...you guys have fun in this thread.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
hi, couldn't get financing on an Evo?

ok I'm going home now...you guys have fun in this thread.
Hola, I work at GM and can only park a GM car in their lots
Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love how this went about asking a question to just a full out argument that has nothing to do with the original question.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
I love how this went about asking a question to just a full out argument that has nothing to do with the original question.
Yea, it does kinda suck..
Sorry to the author of this thread, seriously.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NJHK
Just the normal crap on this site...
Old 02-06-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, it does kinda suck..
Sorry to the author of this thread, seriously.
Atleast it was somewhat entertaining...lol
Old 02-06-2007, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW! some of you guys totaly missed my point!
First though, NEVER refer to you L61 w/ forged internals as a 2.2 LSJ! you can call it a built 2.2, or whatever you want, but its NOT a LSJ!
Second, The guys that build +1000HP drag cars use the 2.2 as a baseline because they are cheaper but the motor is completely BUILT and destroked to a 2.0 and the whole chassis and suspension is changed, etc... DO YOUR RESEACH.

Originally Posted by bc3tech
shoulda kept that post to yourself. how much of a 2.2 build have you done?

$4k - everything i have & posted earlier
$1.5k - forged internals (pistons, rods) installed
tranny - not really needed until above 350whp. likely just need
clutch - $500
axels - again, not really needed
full suspension - cuz this helps you go fast... how?
LSD - again, go fast... how?

yes do go on, you're only at $6000, making my ride now worth $20k and pushing just under 350whp.

I'll race ya when i'm done.
1.5k for forged internals, that sounds pretty good but, no forged crank, HG, Head bolts, sleeves, you said you were going to raise the redline to 7500? you will need neutrul balance shafts and lots of head work, etc....
Good luck with your tranny
are you going to install the clutch? if not add some labour on their, I would recondmend a flywheel while your at it....
Good luck with your stock axles at 300+whp
Full suspension=springs, struts, traction bars, motor mounts(500-1500 depending on what you choice) when you launch your car and start have massive wheel hop, it makes driveline parts unreliable, and when your launching your car and the back end drops down, your loose traction at your front wheels(weight shifting to the back) also if you want to go into a corner and not roll your car when your doing high speeds, a suspension helps
LSD=goggle it, I am not even going to get started there....one wheel burnout FTW!!!

I cant find it now but you or somebody else said you will be making 4-500 HP with 9k?? thats not an exact quate but thats pretty much what you said. 9k??? Good luck again, maybe you can make 500hp with 9k but how reliable will it be?? All you are think about is HP mods, think about all the supporting mods(not just pistons, rods and clutch, there is way more than that), calculate it up and you will see it isnt cheap.
If you do build up a 2.2, great, more power to you,
It may be faster..... but it will NEVER be cheaper AND more reliable than the 2.0

Cheap, Fast, Reliable.....Pick 2.....

here is a little reading material to get you started...
http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersou...build_book.htm
Old 02-06-2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by rick1217
It will take a 2.2 probally 5-10G to beat a ss/sc with 1k of mods and the ss/sc will be more reliable and require less work to get to a certain goal.
LOL I can't believe I missed this one!

classic...ok I forgot I was done.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
THIS IS REDICULOUS!

I am so frustrated with all of you. A new user joins the board and asks legitimate, simple questions. Then you all use it as an excuse to spew your cocky personal opinions about your own cars. Here's a thought, talk to the poster, answer his questions, help him. Quit your pissing contests. Warnings for everybody.

To the original author, I apologize for the behavior of the people that responded. I would be happy to help you with any questions you have. Feel free to PM me directly.

Last edited by Halfcent; 02-07-2007 at 12:17 AM.