2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Fuel additives?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am just trying to be logical about this. What could the dealer do that makes your car faster?

The only way you can be 100% sure there was a difference was if it was dyno'd or raced at the track. Too many people are satisifed with "thinking this or that" and no testing to back it up. Sorry but thats my rant for the day
Well, sure that to say that there was a difference, I'd need to go ahead and back it up with proof. Let me rephrase that, then. I'm 100% sure I felt a difference, so no one is offended, alright?

Anyway, I'll give you guys an update as soon as I refill with 87oct. If, then, I don't feel a change in performance, I'll take the car back to the dealership and have them look at it. I certainly don't feel comfortable with it as it is now.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS
Well to start off 93 octane is just a waste of money on your 2.2L. It has no performance benifits until you do some serious mods.

As for fuel additives I use the Lucas fuel injector cleaner and upper cylinder lube with every fillup. Seems to work great and I have heard nothing but good things about the company!
Maybe you can prove me wrong But.... I dont think you need to use the Lucas stuff with every fill up. At most you should only use the stuff once a year. Even then if you are putting in good gas ( https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/lounge-42/gm-bulletin-about-gas-27472/ ) ((this will tell you what is good and soo on.)) You should not have to use any fuel system cleaners.

Now this is my opinion so if you can prove me wrong please do. Seriously...

And the link to Lucas is in my sig for anybody that wants to know abot there stuff

Last edited by silentgarth; 03-18-2007 at 01:04 AM. Reason: just rembered to add rhis
Old 03-17-2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by silentgarth
Maybe you can prove me wrong But.... I dont think you need to use the Lucas stuff with every fill up. At most you should only use the stuff once a year. Even then if you are putting in good gas ( http://northcarolina.rivals.com/show...id=941&style=2 ) ((this will tell you what is good and soo on.)) You should not have to use any fuel system cleaners.

Now this is my opinion so if you can prove me wrong please do. Seriously...

And the link to Lucas is in my sig for anybody that wants to know abot there stuff
Well I don't know that anybody NEEDs to use it with every fill up! But I don't see how it can work as an effective upper cylinder, fuel pump and injector lubricant if it is only used once a year. It says on the bottle "add approximately 3oz for every 10 gallons of fuel," so I do, every fillup! Being that it comes in a 32oz bottle, if I only used it once a year I would have a lifetime supply!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Banned

Well I don't know that anybody NEEDs to use it with every fill up! But I don't see how it can work as an effective upper cylinder, fuel pump and injector lubricant if it is only used once a year. It says on the bottle "add approximately 3oz for every 10 gallons of fuel," so I do, every fillup! Being that it comes in a 32oz bottle, if I only used it once a year I would have a lifetime supply!
And you realize they say that so you buy it.

Just like on octane boosters they say "Actively boosts octane levels in each tank of gas!" when they had 1/2 an octane point.

Its all b.s. to get you to buy it
Old 03-17-2007, 01:24 PM

Kind of related to this subject

My car hesitates when i give it gas to take off on cold mornings, but even when it's not cold and i drive it for a while, like the 30 min nonstop trek to work, and i come to a stop it jerks and sputters like it's about to go dead. After about 5 - 10 sec. it idles normal. Has anyone else had this prob. or know what can cause it?
Old 03-17-2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by My06Coby
And you realize they say that so you buy it.

Just like on octane boosters they say "Actively boosts octane levels in each tank of gas!" when they had 1/2 an octane point.

Its all b.s. to get you to buy it
Well, for many products this is true, but this stuff actually feels oily.
Its kinda like adding a small amount of 2 cycle oil in the tank.
It gives the top end a little lube.

Originally Posted by jojot
My car hesitates when i give it gas to take off on cold mornings, but even when it's not cold and i drive it for a while, like the 30 min nonstop trek to work, and i come to a stop it jerks and sputters like it's about to go dead. After about 5 - 10 sec. it idles normal.
Mine does that too. It idles a little rough from time to time then stops.
Mine also hesitates a bit when its cold if I don't rev it to 1500 before I pull out in the morning.
Once moving its fine.
If its that bad you should take it in and have it checked!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Banned

Well, for many products this is true, but this stuff actually feels oily.
Its kinda like adding a small amount of 2 cycle oil in the tank.
It gives the top end a little lube.

Mine does that too. It idles a little rough from time to time then stops.
Mine also hesitates a bit when its cold if I don't rev it to 1500 before I pull out in the morning.
Once moving its fine.
If its that bad you should take it in and have it checked!
Then you realize running an oily substance through your fuel system is also extremely bad.

Plus you don't need to add crap to the system, clogged injectors won't happen until around 100K miles anyways
Old 03-17-2007, 01:43 PM

Then you realize running an oily substance through your fuel system is also extremely bad.

Plus you don't need to add crap to the system, clogged injectors won't happen until around 100K miles anyways
I'm not worried about the injectors clogging. I just like to add it to give a little lube to the top end. It's only 3 oz per tank, not much.
Ever wonder why diesel engines last soo long? Cause they run oil through their top end too!
Old 03-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

I'm not worried about the injectors clogging. I just like to add it to give a little lube to the top end. It's only 3 oz per tank, not much.
Ever wonder why diesel engines last soo long? Cause they run oil through their top end too!
Theres a BIG difference between a Diesel Engine and a Gas Engine.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:17 PM

Theres a BIG difference between a Diesel Engine and a Gas Engine.
Not really, other than the diesel has a higher compression ratio.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

Not really, other than the diesel has a higher compression ratio.
Yea, minus the fact they use glow plugs, bigger everything, a lot higher compression, bigger fuel filters, different gas etc etc etc

But whatever, its your car that your going to ruin dumping crap into it
Old 03-17-2007, 03:03 PM

Yea, minus the fact they use glow plugs, bigger everything, a lot higher compression, bigger fuel filters, different gas etc etc etc

But whatever, its your car that your going to ruin dumping crap into it
I was talking about the basic engine, pistons and valves. Those engines hold up twice as long as gas engines, because gas scrubs the oil off of the cylinder walls and diesel fuel adds lube.

I have used the lucas fuel additive on my other car with no problems, its cat safe, etc.
It now has 140K miles and runs like new.
But your right it my car and I can do what I want to it!
Old 03-17-2007, 03:19 PM

you have 140k miles on a 2006 cobalt?
Old 03-17-2007, 03:45 PM

the manual strickly says not to run fuel additives. My CEL comes on when I used octane boosters/higher octane fuel. but we have ultra94 up here. I used it once when i got the car, after i went to regular and it hesitated like a crack addict. DON"T USE HIGH OCTANE FUEL IN THE 2.2L!!!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 04:19 PM

89 is what I use. Anything higher will give your car 15 hp gains.....yea ok. If your running a 2.2l 89 should be the highest you should go unless you dump 5 grand into the car in performance upgrades.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by teh_punk
you have 140k miles on a 2006 cobalt?
No! I only have 18K on my Cobalt.
My '96 Sunfire has 140K.

Originally Posted by 06Pursuit
the manual strickly says not to run fuel additives. My CEL comes on when I used octane boosters/higher octane fuel. but we have ultra94 up here. I used it once when i got the car, after i went to regular and it hesitated like a crack addict. DON"T USE HIGH OCTANE FUEL IN THE 2.2L!!!!!
The manual says a lot of stuff. GM has to cover their A$$ in case someone poors 10 gallons of diesel fuel or something in there car then takes it to the dealer and expects it fixed for free!
Old 03-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Banned

No! I only have 18K on my Cobalt.
My '96 Sunfire has 140K.

The manual says a lot of stuff. GM has to cover their A$$ in case someone poors 10 gallons of diesel fuel or something in there car then takes it to the dealer and expects it fixed for free!
GM has ALWAYS said not to use fuel or engine additives and theres a reason, they f*** up the engine. duh
Old 03-17-2007, 04:30 PM

guys ive been running nothing but 93 in my car since day 1
if i change to 91 think i will notice a difference.?
Old 03-17-2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by killianss
guys ive been running nothing but 93 in my car since day 1
if i change to 91 think i will notice a difference.?
I would continue using the 93 for the SS/SC, especially if you are going to mod it.
With 91 you might notice a little less power.

As for engine additives, I wouldn't put anything in the engine oil! Thats not good!
I am just saying "I" have never had any problems using the lucas fuel additive. No CEL's and my tail pipe is always clean, no soot or anything.
I don't think I would use any other additives in my fuel either. Most are pointless, there is already enough detergents in good fuel from the pump. Just don't buy crappy cheap gas and change your fuel filter regularly.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Banned

Guys remember this is the 2.2 section.

If your an SS and run 93 your fine.

The 2.2's however are only tuned to run 87 (crappy gas)
Old 03-17-2007, 06:25 PM

fyi on additives.. I used to use octane boost (dont remember the brand) when i would take my gsx to the track.. i even checked with a local forum of dsm owners who said it should be fine. about 4 months after my last track visit, my gsx started to die while idling every time i came to a stop, and i had a huge power loss(my gf at the time in her ford probe GT beat me). I was in school and didnt have the time to tear into it so i took it to a friend who owned a shop. my valves looked like someone slapped chewing gum all over them. never again will anything enter my fuel tank except gas.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:50 PM

Octane boost is junk. Get the $6.00/gal 100 octance race gas if ya want/need higher octane gas to race.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:26 PM

Guys remember this is the 2.2 section.

If your an SS and run 93 your fine.

The 2.2's however are only tuned to run 87 (crappy gas)
sorry man, i didnt kno the 2.2's and 2.0's were so different. im new to the cobalt.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by killianss
sorry man, i didnt kno the 2.2's and 2.0's were so different. im new to the cobalt.
well technicly speaking their not. the 2.0 is just a destroked 2.2. its just the the SS has the upgraded internals and SC which makes it a whole new ball game lol
Old 03-18-2007, 09:50 AM

Listen, The s/c NEEDS 93. The n/a SS reccomends 93, but it's not necessary. And the 2.2 just uses regular. I use 93 for my 2.4 because it reccomends it, and I don't worry about the extra few bucks. I always use BP 93, and I use a fuel cleaner/injector cleaner once a month. Plus, I just filled up with synthetic oil as well. Aside from that, I replaced the tranny fluid in my Monte with B&M Trick Shift synthetic auto fluid and the change was noticible. You may want to look into that. And I added Slick 50 additive to the tranny when we did the tranny fluid too. Just a few ideas.

Quick Reply: Fuel additives?