2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Fuel additives?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:52 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
i've never had any problems with lucas additives, even my dad recommends them he's a mastertech and builds badass chevy small blocks. I used to put lucas injector cleaner, lucas oil stabalizer, and sometime marvel mystery oil into my 1982 280ZX 252,XXX miles and she still purred when i sold her. so i'd have to say anyone blowing their stuff after using additives is just coincidental with you abusing the car. I've used the stuff on all my vehicles and not one has ever blown up. but i do know how to take car of my stuff.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no offense but my cobalt runs crappy on regular 87 fuel. I have to use 93 at least cause it runs excellent. Its not a waste of money at all. Also the best additive to use is called "B-12 Chem tool". It works as a fuel injector cleaner and it gets rid of the moisture from the gas and it acts as an octane booster. I use it about once a month to keep it running good.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by massivematt
no offense but my cobalt runs crappy on regular 87 fuel. I have to use 93 at least cause it runs excellent. Its not a waste of money at all. Also the best additive to use is called "B-12 Chem tool". It works as a fuel injector cleaner and it gets rid of the moisture from the gas and it acts as an octane booster. I use it about once a month to keep it running good.
if it had 93 in it then you switched to regular thats why it ran like ****. our cars don't like swaping octanes
Old 03-22-2007, 05:12 PM

Whoa, this thread has a lot of misinfo in it.

1. Higher octane will not hurt a conservative spark advanced GASOLINE engine. Gasoline engines are supplemented by a spark plug don't forget.
2. Higher octane fuel also contains slightly more energy.
3. You will see no difference in octane changes at anything other than wide open throttle. (100kpa or atmospheric pressure) Think cylinder pressures with a closed or partially open throttle plate to figure that one out.
4. Even with a conservative timing map, atmospheric and climate conditions are never perfect.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:05 PM

then explain why when i put ultra94 in it the CEL comes on, then when I go back to regular, it hesitates and sputters like crazy, untill it gets used to it again?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by 06Pursuit
then explain why when i put ultra94 in it the CEL comes on, then when I go back to regular, it hesitates and sputters like crazy, untill it gets used to it again?
What was the check engine light code?

Just saying its a Check engine light and wanting me to explain it is a little off the wall.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Witt
What was the check engine light code?

Just saying its a Check engine light and wanting me to explain it is a little off the wall.
well i don't know what the code was but consiering it only comes on when running premium, i would think it has something to do with that
Old 03-22-2007, 09:13 PM

Or it could be the EVAP system when you change fuel levels. I would get the code read if I were you instead of assuming.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:26 PM

Honestly, the reason your car probably was feeling a little peppier, is because they DO use higher grade oil/fuel then what is normally in there. It HELPS, but isn't adding performance. Just making it run the way it should...Also, think about it...They did filters too, so your car breathes better to...When everything is clean, full, new, and quality, it is DEFFINITELY running at peak...

P.S.
Like they said, unless you have some serious mods, anything other than Regular is actually hurting your car, and CUTTING flow...To heavey...
Old 03-23-2007, 12:57 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but the octane rating is a measure of how much the gas can be compressed before combustion. Before we could refine gas as well as we can now, they added lead to fuel to boost the octane rating and get it above 50. Isn't jet fuel still leaded for the boost in octane?

On a side note, the 2.2's do not have a high octane timing map? IDK if they do or don't. Car companies always tell people that they can run 87 octane to lower annual upkeep costs on their vehicles. It makes the cars look better if they can say 'this can only needs $200 per year in fuel cost' verses '$250 per year.' If your car only has one timing map the keep an eye on the intake and throttle body for carbon and run 87. Otherwise, run 93 regardless of the motor size.

Originally Posted by laserelectric
Honestly, the reason your car probably was feeling a little peppier, is because they DO use higher grade oil/fuel then what is normally in there. It HELPS, but isn't adding performance. Just making it run the way it should...Also, think about it...They did filters too, so your car breathes better to...When everything is clean, full, new, and quality, it is DEFFINITELY running at peak...

P.S.
Like they said, unless you have some serious mods, anything other than Regular is actually hurting your car, and CUTTING flow...To heavey...
I just read this again to make sure I read it right the first time. You are saying that a dealer uses higher grade oil than what is normally in the engine. Where did you get this information? Also, a new oil filter won't make the car breathe better unless the oil is so sludged up that it is caking the oil filter itself. Finally, higher octane gas is not 'to heavey,' it weighs the same.

Last edited by rlinbatonrouge; 03-23-2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-23-2007, 01:02 PM

your car is calibrated to use 87 or 89, so using 93 may be hurting the car. yes nicer gas burns cleaner and you get better MPG but, only in cars designed to use it. i think they did clean your injectors, there may have been unburnt fuel building up on them or something
Old 03-23-2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by chevysalesman614
your car is calibrated to use 87 or 89, so using 93 may be hurting the car. yes nicer gas burns cleaner and you get better MPG but, only in cars designed to use it. i think they did clean your injectors, there may have been unburnt fuel building up on them or something
The 'calibration' that you talk of is called a timing map. I have never heard of a car that only has one timing map. Most have a low octane map and a high octane map. IDK of a newer car that only has one map. They would not have cleaned out his injectors unless he paid for that. GM does not include that as a part of their paid maintenance program. Typicall a dealership will charge around $100 and up just for that service.