The Garrett SEMA L61 Turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
this is great news, looks hawt too bad i will never have enough $$ for it
Old 11-07-2006, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think us autos will be fine as the cavalier autos ran turbos well over what the advertised power levels of the tranny were

those are some nice #'s and pics of a mock up...of course it doesn't offer much in hopes of a turbo kit though since its not actually functional and in a Cobalt or Ion

I do like the torque #'s these cars pull out when they go FI. Both the 2.2 and 2.4 provide great torque #'s when under the influence.

how much is it probably goin to cost
Old 11-07-2006, 11:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i'd guess 3-4k, so start saving

as for the tranny...im sure it will run fine for a while, but if the trannys only rated at 250tq and this turbo pulls 230tq with only 7psi, thats gonna be one super short tranny lifespan, no? btw, tranny cooler and tranny mounts WOULD help raise this max 250tq a little bit right?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:42 PM

I'd assume so. Don't know much about tranies tho.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:46 PM

*drool*

No one will ever suspect a 200+hp Sedan
Old 11-08-2006, 01:26 AM

calm...you raced a vette in ur balt? not to bag o you, but did u think you had a shot? (i totally dont mean that in a condenscending way)

im right there withh you on the tranny situation too... i know almost nothing about auto trannies, and very little about manuals
Old 11-08-2006, 01:40 AM

PayJ, thanks for the info. Can't wait to get this put, however, I don't know if I should wait for Hahn or not...
Old 11-08-2006, 01:41 AM

calm...you raced a vette in ur balt? not to bag o you, but did u think you had a shot? (i totally dont mean that in a condenscending way)
^^^Yes I did. And no I didn't think I had a chance. Story time.......

I saw this vette on the freeway on my way home from work one night. I pulled next to it and I was trying to get her attention so that i can say "nice car." But she ignored me so I dropped it in third a jetted off. Next thing I knew, the vette was gaining and gaining fast. I didn't have any hope of out accelerating but it was still fun. We go off the freeway and she jetted off at the first light and I hung my head in shame. lol
Old 11-08-2006, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by calmb4dastorm

I saw this vette on the freeway on my way home from work one night. I pulled next to it and I was trying to get her attention so that i can say "nice car." But she ignored me so I dropped it in third a jetted off. Next thing I knew, the vette was gaining and gaining fast. I didn't have any hope of out accelerating but it was still fun. We go off the freeway and she jetted off at the first light and I hung my head in shame. lol
I wouldn't be ashamed. You were supposed to lose.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:51 AM

too true. I just got owned. It was werse when I went up against the NSX. We started out heads up to. unfreakin real. lmfao
Old 11-08-2006, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by calmb4dastorm

ahh that makes sense then...thought u raced one at a track or somethin...lol
Old 11-08-2006, 02:07 AM

^^^ I wish I could have gone to the track this season. Oh well..... Next season me and the boys are thinking about making a meet for the track.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:21 AM

when will this be released?
Old 11-08-2006, 02:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
erm....with that kind of torque, can us autos even use that setup? perhaps with tranny mounts/tranny coolers? i'd rather not get a torque converter and get my tranny built if i dont have to
It can handle it fine.

I would just recommend looking into a Transmission cooler for insurance.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:40 AM

even tho it hit 230tq on just 7psi?
also, (adam specifically) can you get online tomorrow some time between 5 and 8?
Old 11-08-2006, 03:49 AM

Yea Trannys should hold up no problem just rememeber this is a new peice of hardware which means a nice break in time will be needed to allow parts to feel what forced induction feels like. no fun until 3000 miles after you install...at 1000 miles you should be rev no higher than 2500rpm...2000miles 4000rpm and 3000 ret her rip...this is a very important step in any turbo setup. During this time you will see if there is any boost leaks, that manifold looks caste iron so you will see the coloration probally REDness if run your car for a long time which means you have to get it retuned because you are running too hot. I would love to see what the kit looks like off the block. The first upgrade you would want is the wastegate upgrade to hold boost longer till redline second mod is to port the exaust outlets. this will allow more gas to spool your turbo and boost quicker in the low rpm level. That does look like a nice size turbo, but remember there are alot of aftermerket internals for our engines. and you can always upgrade the turbo. but the only problem is when you upgrade a turbo it usually gets bigger and im still worried about the clearence issue. Third upgrade will soon be the Downpipe. I would like a downpipe similar to the srt4. It is a downpipe with an electronical flange opening which allows for the exaust to dump right after the manifold. No matter what people tell you this is the ideal setup for a turbo. The quicker the exaust leaves the block the better. The only problem with this setup your car turns into a tractor with the open flange but thats why you can close the flange. This is all controlled by a switch that is mounted in your car after the instalation is complete. Im actually really excited about this kit. I was turning into one of those people that were say "if i see another turbo 2.2 thread im going to shoot my self in the *****." But atleast this kit seems to have some evidence of future production. Did we get any specs on that turbo yet?
Old 11-08-2006, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
even tho it hit 230tq on just 7psi?
also, (adam specifically) can you get online tomorrow some time between 5 and 8?
I probably will be but if I'm not, call my cell phone. I'll send you a PM on here w/my cell #.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by PayJ
WHY?...maybe because we dont have good engine mounts..thus making the engine move...if you dyno your car next time watch the dynoer WOT your engine the let off rapidly..you will see a 1-1.5" movement in the engine...thus making the turbo hit the firewall
that is VERY unlikely, they wouldnt design it to be an inch or so to the firewall, this is garrett we are talking about remember!

And yes I do know about engine movement, my point was they would take that into effect.

Remember GM's s/c kit for 2.2 ecotecs in the j's is similar power and it doesnt move that much. Worry with that is the lack of space between the S/C and the rad support similar situation

you can always get inserts or mounts or fab up the ingalls with a new brace.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by PayJ
Yea Trannys should hold up no problem just rememeber this is a new peice of hardware which means a nice break in time will be needed to allow parts to feel what forced induction feels like. no fun until 3000 miles after you install...at 1000 miles you should be rev no higher than 2500rpm...2000miles 4000rpm and 3000 ret her rip...this is a very important step in any turbo setup. During this time you will see if there is any boost leaks, that manifold looks caste iron so you will see the coloration probally REDness if run your car for a long time which means you have to get it retuned because you are running too hot. I would love to see what the kit looks like off the block. The first upgrade you would want is the wastegate upgrade to hold boost longer till redline second mod is to port the exaust outlets. this will allow more gas to spool your turbo and boost quicker in the low rpm level. That does look like a nice size turbo, but remember there are alot of aftermerket internals for our engines. and you can always upgrade the turbo. but the only problem is when you upgrade a turbo it usually gets bigger and im still worried about the clearence issue. Third upgrade will soon be the Downpipe. I would like a downpipe similar to the srt4. It is a downpipe with an electronical flange opening which allows for the exaust to dump right after the manifold. No matter what people tell you this is the ideal setup for a turbo. The quicker the exaust leaves the block the better. The only problem with this setup your car turns into a tractor with the open flange but thats why you can close the flange. This is all controlled by a switch that is mounted in your car after the instalation is complete. Im actually really excited about this kit. I was turning into one of those people that were say "if i see another turbo 2.2 thread im going to shoot my self in the *****." But atleast this kit seems to have some evidence of future production. Did we get any specs on that turbo yet?
if you dont mod the internals, I would be very careful about modding much with this kit, the stock 2.2 internals like to fail at power levels not much above those...
and the SRT-4 doesnt have a downpipe with a cutout stock.
Qtec makes the cutouts and you can get them installed on a AM DP
I would hope that they include a DP with the kit, the stock 2.2 DP is like a pencil!
Old 11-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Banned

The auto tranny can hold it, just upgrade the torque converter.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
The auto tranny can hold it, just upgrade the torque converter.
wtf doe the tq converter have to do with it...if nothin else u should be worried about line pressure and clutch packs
Old 11-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Banned

The clutch packs can hold the power. The Torque Converter needs to be upgraded because that is the first thing to fail in this case. Our Auto Tranny's are damn near bullet proof.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
The clutch packs can hold the power. The Torque Converter needs to be upgraded because that is the first thing to fail in this case. Our Auto Tranny's are damn near bullet proof.
Where do you get this information from???

Here are the gm specs:

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...0%28MN5%29.pdf

Torque converters are normally the last things to fail...and if the 4t45 was "virtually bulletproof" then gm wouldn't have replace it with the 4t65e-hd from 450hp up.

And those 4t65e-hd's have stock 2nd gear packs, custom raybestos 3rd gear packs and a custom tq converter.

Dan

Quick Reply: The Garrett SEMA L61 Turbo kit