2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

GMP Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GMP Intake Manifold

Hey I was looking at the GM Performance Parts page and they say they make a 88958629 Fabricated Aluminum Intake Manifold
This fabricated aluminum intake manifold accepts a 75 mm LS1 throttle body.
I was wondering if thats for the ECOTEC and if so has anyone tried/seen it? That sounds like it would make a HUGE difference because we could get such a larger flow of air into our engines when we want to make big horsepower once all the turbo kits come out. Im really loving this idea and I was figuring, if its made to fit a 75mm LS-1 throttle body why wouldnt it be able to fit a larger 80mm BBK once thats a direct fit for the stock LS1's 75mm intake plenum. Any insights/ideas?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Get low

i could be way off but isnt LS-1 a corvette motor? i think we have Lsj
Old 06-21-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah the LS1 is the Corvette motor. We have an LSJ. Keep hunting though, it was a good try.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Get low

LS1 would be cool in a balt lmao although the rear of the motor would be sitting in your lap lol
Old 06-21-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by biohazard
i could be way off but isnt LS-1 a corvette motor? i think we have Lsj
the SS/SC has the LSJ

you (2.2) have an L61
Old 06-21-2006, 04:24 PM

you guys need to actually read what he wrote. that intake manifold is designed for the ecotec engine, but you bolt up an LS1/LS2 throttle body on it, it's done for increased flow.

it also has a set of bungs for a set of secondary injectors for a turbo setup. if you were turbo or planning turbo and looking for something that would work well, this would be an option. I wouldn't use it n/a though.

to answer your question Stealth, if the BBK is made to be a direct bolt-on replacement, then yes it would bolt onto this manifold as well
Old 06-21-2006, 05:16 PM

Ive read somewhere that the gm performance manifold take a lot of place in front of the motor and that you should push the radiator foward to make it fit but if you check all the racing cobalt on the drag circuit are running this intake manifold
Old 06-21-2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by slowion2
you guys need to actually read what he wrote. that intake manifold is designed for the ecotec engine, but you bolt up an LS1/LS2 throttle body on it, it's done for increased flow.
heh i was getting pissed because everyone was giving the same response, you beat me to it
Old 06-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Get low

i did read it and i said i may be far off, i never said it wouldnt work did i?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is not a street legal part. It will not fit a stock car. While it is designed to fit the engine and an LS1 throttle body, your stock ECM would absolutely freak out. Your servo controlled throttle would no longer work, you would need to convert to a cable system.

This is purely a race engine part for use with completely redesigned engine bays. There is simply no use for it on a street car.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
This is not a street legal part. It will not fit a stock car. While it is designed to fit the engine and an LS1 throttle body, your stock ECM would absolutely freak out. Your servo controlled throttle would no longer work, you would need to convert to a cable system.

This is purely a race engine part for use with completely redesigned engine bays. There is simply no use for it on a street car.
Basically.

Unless you're running a standalone and alot of power, than don't think about it.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:24 AM

there were some ls1 or ls2 throttle bodies that were throttle-by-wire. it would work, the rest of the connectors are the same.

if you had the dimensions you could estimate if you can make it clearance wise.

its listed for race apps but I know of at least one person with an ecotec who will be running it by the fall. if you want to get technically, none of the major power adders are for street use, so you can't really go based on that.

you'd need quite a lot of work though to really need that manifold over the stock one or the saab aluminum one some jbody guys have run (I'm sure Adam knows what I'm speaking of)
Old 06-22-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm old school

there were some ls1 or ls2 throttle bodies that were throttle-by-wire. it would work, the rest of the connectors are the same.

if you had the dimensions you could estimate if you can make it clearance wise.

its listed for race apps but I know of at least one person with an ecotec who will be running it by the fall. if you want to get technically, none of the major power adders are for street use, so you can't really go based on that.

you'd need quite a lot of work though to really need that manifold over the stock one or the saab aluminum one some jbody guys have run (I'm sure Adam knows what I'm speaking of)
Even if you could find a servo actuated 75mm throttle, the ECM will still freak out. You will be sending more air to the engine then the ECM has data for.

This manifold is specifically for use with a forced induction application. The plenum and runner tube aluminum welded design is specifically for handling positive manifold pressures. I'm willing to bet if you tried using one of these under normal aspiration, you would actually lessen your cars performance.

Better air filters and intake pipe kits are fine, they reduce possible restrictions to air flowing up to the throttle body. After the throttle, all you need to do is keep the path straight and clear with as few turns as possible to eliminate turbulent flow to the cylinders. Yet even with just intakes, the Cobalts MAF sensor is still setting off CEL's. What are you going to do when you slap a big ass throttle on there with no ECM tune?

And what technical major power adders are you referring to?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:12 PM

As it is, the person asking for this is planning to run a turbo setup along with it, I would not use this for n/a applications in the least without major engine work done and at the least some sort of fuel tuning, but even then I don't think it would serve the right purpose. I didn't see anywhere in this thread someone wanted to throw this on a stock cobalt just for the sake of doing it.

I'm speaking of nitrous, superchargers, turbochargers, and even some sets of camshafts. If it's not a factory installed part, such as the numerous kits people have discussed here, then more often than not it is also noted that the part is for off road use only. I've seen this on headers and intakes before as well. I've never seen a turbo or s/c kit that was stated for street use as a matter of fact, but we still run them. Just because something is stated one way in a catalog doesn't mean people don't or won't use it on the street.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm old school

I would have to disagree with that. Nitrous is illegal for street use. Forced induction most certainly is not. And most aftermarket kit manufacturers design and sell their kits as street legal applications.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:04 PM

I never said nitrous was legal for street use. That actually varies state to state and can even change based on county.

How many atermerket forced induction manufacturers have their kit actually get a CARB number and say it's 100% street legal? Very very few if any. Being boosted from the factory is different, but adding it is what we're discussing here.

What I said is still true though, just because something is labeled as off-road or competition use only does not mean it will not be used on the street.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:14 PM

the only "street legal" turbo or sc kits i've seen are low boost applications where the stock fuel management is used.

and if you've got visual inspections in your state you can still possibly fail depending on the tech.

anyway I think its been made pretty clear that this is good for high hp f/i applications. isn't the stock intake manifold good til something like 350HP?
Old 06-22-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm old school

Few bother to seek CARB compliance because due to the impossibility of Californias absolutely rediculous laws. They would rather lose that single segment of the market then try to get a CARB number. There are 49 other states.

With regards to Illinois, we have vehicle emisions testing. That's really about it. The use of aftermarket forced induction is completely legal.

Yes, the stock intake manifold was tested safely to 350 HP.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:42 PM

Which Saab manifold are you talking about because I work for a Cadillac-Hummer-Saab dealership. I might be able to get a used one,lol.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:44 PM

BTW just to answer everyones questions where the hell I came up with this,lol, Im planning to piece together a full turbo kit within the next 6 months. BUT like everyone else I'll be waiting for proper computer tuning before its done. This is one part I was looking at.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth06LT
Which Saab manifold are you talking about because I work for a Cadillac-Hummer-Saab dealership. I might be able to get a used one,lol.
2003+ Saab 9-3 2.0 T High Output (might be the same manifold for the low output as well).
Old 06-23-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
2003+ Saab 9-3 2.0 T High Output (might be the same manifold for the low output as well).
Right on Im gonna go call up the service dept right now (im at "work" in the showroom),lol. Thanks, but yea anyways I still think if someones building a race cobalt this manifold would be a kick ass idea. I wanna make push over 300hp, I dont care if it wont pass inspection because I live in FL 8 months out of the year and they dont have any inspections. I mean we're all deadlocked until someone saves us with computer tuning anyways, so I can browse until that faithful day,lol.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth06LT
Right on Im gonna go call up the service dept right now (im at "work" in the showroom),lol. Thanks, but yea anyways I still think if someones building a race cobalt this manifold would be a kick ass idea. I wanna make one over 300hp, I dont care if it wont pass inspection because I live in FL 8 months out of the year and they dont have any inspections.
But don't get it unless you're running F/I setup. It's a high flowing manifold.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:14 PM

I was planning on picking one up now that im trying to piece together a turbo kit. If I can get it dirt cheap from service or even free then its a worthy investment of time, I wont put it on until my turbo setup is ready. I want a turbo but im still not sure wat size injectors and turbo to get. I was thinking a GT28RS, or GT3071R. THe injectors im lost with.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:19 PM

You think a custom log-type one would be cheap to make, I mean I have a friend with a TIG welder and a ton of tools. Theyre a metal supply depot right by our dorms. I dunno if custom would be crazy expensive or not.

Quick Reply: GMP Intake Manifold