Good or Bad Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manual
Old 08-07-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, go buy the Garrett kit, and only that. I see that you are 17, so I'm guessing this is your first car. First tip, never do major modifications to the only car you have. If you need your car, don't take it apart for this.

The Garrett kit will obviously cost you, but the good news is you can do just that, and nothing else, and still be perfectly safe. And it will be very unique. Trust me, there are not a lot of these things out there.

This will be good because you will get some experience in wrenching on your car without being committed to any further investment. A year down the road, you might want to sell the car, so you would be in the clear to do so. Or, you might want to do more to your car, in which time you will have been able to learn what exactly you can do.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:59 PM

this is my 3rd car...my first was an 87 ford ranger but it ran like **** so i sold it, next i had an 83 cj-7 and i did so much work but wanted to save gas so i got this car...also i am pretty mechanically inclined, along with my grandfather...so i know quite a bit about cars... this is not my only car to drive as i work for an export company and always drive something different... now i want to do the garrett turbo but before i want to do some internals on the car...i want to push as much power out of this little motor as possible... try and suggest some parts to use etc...
Old 08-07-2007, 04:13 PM

you will be unique enough if you can successfully run a turbo setup on this car without blowing the motor
Old 08-07-2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
That's a impossible question to answer.

and show me what transmission he can bolt up to it for FWD.

The 3.8L that he can get are from FWD vehicles, not RWD.
hey man no need to be a smart ass,, if hes gonna be doing a big swap like hes talking about then im sure that hes not going to halfass anything maybe it would be a rwd conversion also, thats what i would do if i were doing the swap, tahts if he would have the money or skill or both
Old 08-07-2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jackalope
You want unique? Ok try this... convert to RWD and dump in a twin turboed and intercooled Lingerfelter 7.0 litre aluminum small block chevy. Keep the exterior completely stock looking and run no bigger then 8 inch wide rear tires. NO one and I do mean NO one would expect an 8 second rwd street driven Cobalt!
I believe that that car would be insane. I would love for someone to do something like this, but it won't happen. Oh well
Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 PM

if i did the 3.8l swap i would leave it FWD because thats what the Monte's are anyways...i would just do bigger axles...but im going to stick with the 2.2L build up all the internals, then a garret turbo system, in the process powder coat some of the motor (whatever can be done), then suspension, then the rest of exterior appearance, then do interior and music... obviously being 17 don't have alot of money so it will take a decent amount of time but in the end it will be a beautiful car... hopefully pushing a decent amount of ponies...
Old 08-08-2007, 01:32 AM

Hopefully isn't going to get you anywhere.

If you wan to be truly unique, you need to get a piece of paper, sit down, figure out what goals you want specifically, write a plan, make a budget, set a time frame to complete the project in. I know where you’re coming from , been there done that. Paycheck to paycheck trying to get everything done NOW…

But the reality of it is its going to go something like… I’m gonna do this and this and it’s gonna be awesome… (4 weeks later) well ****, got a speeding ticket… excessive speed…. lost license for 90 days… car impounded… fees and fines…lost job… no money… tore down car that doesn’t work or isn’t worth anything to sell half done… g/f got knocked up… ect ect ect…

You've just admited your finance situation so make the most of it.

Slow down, make a plan, and back away form the internet buy button.

Don’t be that guy…. You’ve seen him the one running around with the big shiny muffler and the half painted body kit. On steel wheels… might be a civic might be a BMW. It doesn’t matter how awesome it’s going to be, everybody’s laughing at him.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:00 AM

haha how true