2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Got $360 to spend..

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got $360 to spend..

I'm going to be installing my CAI this weekend, what should I do with the left over money?

Buy the 2.4 Intake Kit from CED? $240

Buy B&M Shiftplus (have we figured out if this really does anything at all?)? $40-60

Buy some grinding and sanding tips for my Dremel and spent 5 hours hollowing my Exhaust Mani? $40

Wait 3-4 weeks and buy the GMPP Performance Exhaust? $470 (including tip and shipping)

Wait 4-6 weeks and get the GMPP Touring Exhaust? $550 (including tip and shipping)

Wait 2-3 weeks and buy the Random Technology Downpipe from CED? $450 (including tip)

CED has better prices for the exhaust than GMPartsDirect! But the exhaust tips are expensive! Anyway I could take off the one that came with my 3LT? or do you think it's welded on from the factory?
Any HP difference between touring and performance?

Anything else you think I should get? Please let me know!

Right now I'm completely stock except the CAI I need to put together and install. No Lowering springs plz...I already have minor scraping issues with the horrid roads in this city ;(
Old 09-15-2007, 03:00 AM

Intake save the rest for exhaust
Old 09-15-2007, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by KillerBee
Intake save the rest for exhaust
intake manifold you mean?

edit: KillerBee...you and I should just instant message each other, everytime i post you reply as vice versa tonight..its ok, im going to bed thx for the help man
edit2: I'm glad not all SS/SC owners are ******** towards 2.2 guys. some of us didnt have a choice..
Old 09-15-2007, 06:03 AM

This exhaust http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-07...spagenameZWDVW

And shiftplus
Old 09-15-2007, 06:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
...cheap ass exhaust...probably doesnt sound too good...and i noticed they dont even give a pipe diameter, and its still almost $300 after shipping
Old 09-15-2007, 06:43 AM

"Hugh 4.5" Tip w/ Silencer"..............................I Dont think so!

Save that for the ricers
Old 09-15-2007, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by shawn672
I'm going to be installing my CAI this weekend, what should I do with the left over money?

Buy the 2.4 Intake Kit from CED? $240

Buy B&M Shiftplus (have we figured out if this really does anything at all?)? $40-60

Buy some grinding and sanding tips for my Dremel and spent 5 hours hollowing my Exhaust Mani? $40

Wait 3-4 weeks and buy the GMPP Performance Exhaust? $470 (including tip and shipping)

Wait 4-6 weeks and get the GMPP Touring Exhaust? $550 (including tip and shipping)

Wait 2-3 weeks and buy the Random Technology Downpipe from CED? $450 (including tip)

CED has better prices for the exhaust than GMPartsDirect! But the exhaust tips are expensive! Anyway I could take off the one that came with my 3LT? or do you think it's welded on from the factory?
Any HP difference between touring and performance?

Anything else you think I should get? Please let me know!

Right now I'm completely stock except the CAI I need to put together and install. No Lowering springs plz...I already have minor scraping issues with the horrid roads in this city ;(
I would have canned the whole CAI thing, since everyone I have seen is a hot air intake. Your factory one pulls air from just in front of the inner fender with more than adequate piping and is a true CAI.

If you can dremel the collector size close to 2 1/4 inches, go for it.

CED's 2.4 intake looks like a winner.

I paid $392 last week for the performance exhaust from CED. I suspect the touring exhaust is down slightly in H.P. over the performance one. To make it quieter would take some form of a little more restriction to do so. The performance one is not really all that loud and thats from and Old Schooler. Its not raspy, RICEY sounding and I actually like it other than the fact its from a 4 cylinder. If it was a 8, it sound just like a Camaro etc with a Borla on it.

Tips can be gotten for $30 less in stainless steel that clamp into the tail pipe section. Thats what I did because the GM one still looked a tad ricey.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:48 AM

I would save,but spend money on a header/DP before getting an exaust.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:59 AM

shift+!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:12 AM

i would get this
shrimp
beer
Old 09-15-2007, 09:31 AM

1 save the money
2 make sure you still have money left over
3 buy header, dp, highflo cat (if needed) and catback.

i have an ss/sc and i figure it would cost me around 1,100 for zzp head, dp, cat, and magnaflow catback

but you can def. get a setup for 800 or so
Old 09-15-2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by halfj99
i would get this
shrimp
beer
now thats a good use of money

Originally Posted by Black07LS
my brother bought that same cheap ass brand for his integra and it sounds like ****

Last edited by R1-Graphics; 09-15-2007 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-15-2007, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't spend that much on a DP. You could probably do a DP and Catback for that much if you go to an exhaust shop and make it custom
Old 09-15-2007, 12:40 PM

again, the shift plus out of all my mods was the best bang for the $$$ its a whole new car with it
Old 09-15-2007, 03:25 PM

cool cool, I'll probaly try to do the 2.4 Intake Manifold + Shiftplus, then save the other $60 or use it for extra gas or something crazy

I can't change my manifold guys...SAI ;(

edit: fixed my typo

Last edited by shawn672; 09-15-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can change your dp just not your header i believe, correct me if im wrong.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by halfj99
i would get this
shrimp
beer

damn that sounds good right now
Old 09-15-2007, 06:35 PM

only 37 for the sift+ http://www.turbotechracing.com/produ...idproduct=4985
Old 09-15-2007, 07:19 PM

One thing I want to add.
Shaun, your right down the road from me.
You gonna drive that in the winter??

If so, NO CUSTOM exhaust to try to save money, it'll cost you more, alot more than a Stainless cat back.

People, we live in a snow belt for those whom said custom exhausts.
Within the Lake snow, snow belt region.

And aluminized system, only steel custom shops use, has a 2 year lifetime MAX to it when it sees the amount of salt we see. Been there many times in 30 years of driving and thanked God when stainless was offered.

As far as a header, the SAI is not a problem.

You cut a hole to accept a piece of stainless pipe with and adapter to hold the valve and whalla, SAI is still intact.

I didn't say it would be easy, but if you knew someone that did some machining, that looked at the valve mounting, I bet he (I) could do one.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:38 PM

intake manifold you mean?

edit: KillerBee...you and I should just instant message each other, everytime i post you reply as vice versa tonight..its ok, im going to bed thx for the help man
edit2: I'm glad not all SS/SC owners are ******** towards 2.2 guys. some of us didnt have a choice..
I was talking about air intake yeah i knnow we were replying vice versa yeah i know all about not being able to afford the better car
Old 09-15-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Old Man
One thing I want to add.
Shaun, your right down the road from me.
You gonna drive that in the winter??

If so, NO CUSTOM exhaust to try to save money, it'll cost you more, alot more than a Stainless cat back.

People, we live in a snow belt for those whom said custom exhausts.
Within the Lake snow, snow belt region.

And aluminized system, only steel custom shops use, has a 2 year lifetime MAX to it when it sees the amount of salt we see. Been there many times in 30 years of driving and thanked God when stainless was offered.

As far as a header, the SAI is not a problem.

You cut a hole to accept a piece of stainless pipe with and adapter to hold the valve and whalla, SAI is still intact.

I didn't say it would be easy, but if you knew someone that did some machining, that looked at the valve mounting, I bet he (I) could do one.

yo what up. you gotta take the drive up north and come hang out with us before the weather gets bad in a month or two.

surprisingly we dont get toooo much snow, but we do get our fair share. some winters are worse than others, last year we got about 3ft total for the entire season! but we've had about 3 ice storms in the last 7 or 8 years where we've gotten 4ft+ of snow overnight.

so ya, i dont like the idea of custom exhaust, ill save for the GMPP Touring/Performance.

Do you think you could implement SAI into an aftermarket header? luckily the 07's got the SS/SC header (i think SAI was easier to implement with the larger diameter). so I think i might do catback before header/dp...save that for the spring maybe, when i got 75 wet shot
Old 09-15-2007, 09:02 PM

yo what up. you gotta take the drive up north and come hang out with us before the weather gets bad in a month or two.

surprisingly we dont get toooo much snow, but we do get our fair share. some winters are worse than others, last year we got about 3ft total for the entire season! but we've had about 3 ice storms in the last 7 or 8 years where we've gotten 4ft+ of snow overnight.

so ya, i dont like the idea of custom exhaust, ill save for the GMPP Touring/Performance.

Do you think you could implement SAI into an aftermarket header? luckily the 07's got the SS/SC header (i think SAI was easier to implement with the larger diameter). so I think i might do catback before header/dp...save that for the spring maybe, when i got 75 wet shot
Ever hear of the Log Cabin cruise ins??

I'm not far from there and just 20 minutes outside the city.

If I had a valve in my hand to see how it mounted I could duplicate a mount and put it on a stainless tube we then could weld into a collector. How the ECM will deal with it??? I dont think thats a problem so long as it injects the air before the 02 sensor see's it, IF, even the 02's are programmed to look to see if it comes on. I know in my Sonoma I had that had air injection, as long as the unit was hooked up to the electric and turned on and off, it didnt care if it was blowing into the exhaust mani's. They may have gone and found a way to test the system, that I dont know. I've heard, never confirmed, that during closed loop operation as so many miles are passed driving, the ECM would turn the air injection unit on and off and the 02 sensors would pick up on it. My Sonoma was a 96 and it didnt do that!!! That we need to know, but I still suspect as long as it did inject air into the exhaust stream the ECM would be happy.

PS- I work at a machine shop in Webster, so machining and mig welding something up isn't a problem.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Old Man
Ever hear of the Log Cabin cruise ins??

I'm not far from there and just 20 minutes outside the city.

If I had a valve in my hand to see how it mounted I could duplicate a mount and put it on a stainless tube we then could weld into a collector. How the ECM will deal with it??? I dont think thats a problem so long as it injects the air before the 02 sensor see's it, IF, even the 02's are programmed to look to see if it comes on. I know in my Sonoma I had that had air injection, as long as the unit was hooked up to the electric and turned on and off, it didnt care if it was blowing into the exhaust mani's. They may have gone and found a way to test the system, that I dont know. I've heard, never confirmed, that during closed loop operation as so many miles are passed driving, the ECM would turn the air injection unit on and off and the 02 sensors would pick up on it. My Sonoma was a 96 and it didnt do that!!! That we need to know, but I still suspect as long as it did inject air into the exhaust stream the ECM would be happy.

PS- I work at a machine shop in Webster, so machining and mig welding something up isn't a problem.

Sweet! Nice job

Ive heard of the log cabins but i havent been able to make it to one, weekdays are bad for me usually. i really only hangout saturday during the day and then sunday night.

The SAI only boots up on a cold start to help reduce the emissions during startup where you'll likely idle the car for a bit to warm it up, it runs for a few moments and shuts off, as far as I know it doesnt do the random testing during normal driving, but I have heard of older systems that do.