2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Ground Wire Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike85220
This is it in a sweaty *******:

The people who actually have used ground kits all agree there is an improvement of slight amount of HP gains, a better idle, and the audio equipment performance is a little better.
This is no miracle product, but it can give you a slight edge over the next car.

The people who never tried a ground kit all seem to guess that it is no better than stock and figure if the factory did not do it, it is not needed. So many pawn it off as another Tornado Air, Bilge Blower or Intake Spacer type product that takes money and gives nothing and sometimes takes power away. It is seen as a gimmick in other words, and there will be no believing until they install one on their car or see a before and after dyno.

The truth is, it does work and varies in degree of how well from car to car.
The dyno tests exist as there was the ground wire kit shoot-out article that posted the differences in gains and the Apexi kit won with a 12hp gain.

The factory is not going to spend money on parts and labor to upgrade the ground beyond its already acceptable point. It is good enough as is stock, and they probably do not like having to disconnect ground cables on parts they may need to work on in the future either.

For the price, it is worth it. It is also something that anyone can do on their own.

I am not asking the skeptics to back down and accept anything, but please don't deter others from getting a product that is very affordable and gives them an edge they might want over their existing mods, or possibly it is just their first mod they can afford. The automatic shift plus kit is another very inexpensive yet gainful mod.

Literally for $50 or so you can have a completely stock looking car that will add a good edge over the unknowing driver.

Another cheap mod is the drop in K&N.

I know, I know... each of these mods add very little, but they do offer people that are broke ass like me some options to add a little more fun into their ride at a price each paycheck can afford.

I bought an economy car, and as such a little edge is all I want. I am not going to the track nor looking to race for pinks.
Thanks for your candor.....The same can be said of dozens of products: oil and oil additives, gas additives, magnets, the items you mentioned, and many more. I would rather not have this site appear to promote items that truly do not provide any "edge" in the name of "enjoyment" -- because it costs money. If you/they want to buy this product for looks or for something to do, fine, but no unsubstantiated reporting of performance/HP gains should be included. I have rewired 60's era cars with upgraded and larger wire harnesses than the factory used and had no noticable increase in either HP, or smoother idle, or better radio reception, etc.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:54 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
hows this for you guys.... Im using 2/0 wire all around. Just to give you guys an idea of the size on that wire... its 5929 strands of copper. 8g usually has around 700 if its the good stuff. Ive noticed no hp gains
Old 02-14-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
hows this for you guys.... Im using 2/0 wire all around. Just to give you guys an idea of the size on that wire... its 5929 strands of copper. 8g usually has around 700 if its the good stuff. Ive noticed no hp gains
what about electrical stability such as lights diming and stuff like that
Old 02-14-2008, 01:02 PM

its the same maybe slightly better. Honestly i didnt have much of a system before i re ran the car with the 2/0 and yesterday i just put my 3kw amp back in and didnt really notice much dimming. Actually probably less because the only real time my car would dim was when i was running an 8" off of my 4 chan bridged to 2 ohm (4ohm stable) and it would only do it stopped with the car on.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:37 PM

I have rewired 60's era cars with upgraded and larger wire harnesses than the factory used and had no noticable increase in either HP, or smoother idle, or better radio reception, etc.
Not trying to be mean here, but all because one 60's car got an upgraded wiring harness and did not noticeable gain anything doesn't mean anything.

That car from the 60's probably has 200+hp and even more torque due to the weight of those things. Also, just due to their weight, 4-6hp is NOT going to be noticeable at all.

One person lands no gains on a 60's car, fine. But I have used this on a Sunfire with the 2.2 Ecotec and it DID make a noticeable difference. You would not notice 4-6hp on a lot of high HP or high weight vehicles. The Sunfire is 2800lbs, and loves the ground wire kit.

The ones who dislike this mod as I said and think it is on the par of the Tornado Air, just don't buy one. What is my motive? I do not own a ground wire kit factory. I am just passing on my experience on how it helped my 2.2 Ecotec which is totally relevant, and not some 60's car.

Again, not trying to be mean here but I am getting targeted like I am passing off lies and I am not.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:34 PM

Here is a guy that bought a kit made for our cars: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/ground-wire-kit-97183/
Old 02-18-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mike85220
Not trying to be mean here, but all because one 60's car got an upgraded wiring harness and did not noticeable gain anything doesn't mean anything.

That car from the 60's probably has 200+hp and even more torque due to the weight of those things. Also, just due to their weight, 4-6hp is NOT going to be noticeable at all.

One person lands no gains on a 60's car, fine. But I have used this on a Sunfire with the 2.2 Ecotec and it DID make a noticeable difference. You would not notice 4-6hp on a lot of high HP or high weight vehicles. The Sunfire is 2800lbs, and loves the ground wire kit.

The ones who dislike this mod as I said and think it is on the par of the Tornado Air, just don't buy one. What is my motive? I do not own a ground wire kit factory. I am just passing on my experience on how it helped my 2.2 Ecotec which is totally relevant, and not some 60's car.

Again, not trying to be mean here but I am getting targeted like I am passing off lies and I am not.
I feel you mike and i personally want you to know i dont think your a lier but IMO it doesnt even really make much sense how a ground wire kit would help the preformance of a car. It makes sense how it would help the electrical of any car to increase the size of the ground wires. Anyway even assuming it would help the preformance its still a big marketing scam. All a ground kit is is wire and ring terminals (maybe some screws) and anyone can go out and get wire and ring terminals by themselves for cheaper then a "kit" Another thing people have failed to look at is the fact that the cobalt isnt lacking anything in wire size. In the end of the day the only way such a kit can work is if it has decreased resistance over the stock wires and allows better current flow. Adding a bunch of smaller wires is going to do pretty much nothing. Current will flow the path of least resistance so the ground kit must have bigger wire then the stock
Old 02-18-2008, 06:34 PM

What is the size of the stock wiring?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SS FREAK
they say dyno'd you will see 4-6 hp.... but better throttle response.. eliminat emissions from exaust.. they dyno'd it on an 06 gto ndgined 15.6 whp and 14.7 tq... but you wont see that out of the cobalt but all in all its a decent mod..!
ok mr smart guy.

how does an electrical device that proves no viability on a car newer than 2k with good wiring and multiple grounds of good size going to help with exhaust emissions when the exhaust has NOTHING to do with the electrical system what do ever?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Area47
ok mr smart guy.

how does an electrical device that proves no viability on a car newer than 2k with good wiring and multiple grounds of good size going to help with exhaust emissions when the exhaust has NOTHING to do with the electrical system what do ever?
something about better spark and lessunburned fuel... blah blah, less hydrocarbons...pay attention.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's all about good grounding don't waste your money on a "grounding kit" just go out and but 2 gauge copper wire, some connectors, and run grounds everywhere. Imagine the horsepower gains if you have 8 or 10 grounds straight from the engine block to the battery. I guess we can "gauge" that there will be 1-2 HP increase per ground wire so 10 of them will net you 10-20 HP! Damn cheapest mod yet. 10 or 15 grounds to the radio should get you...what...Tokyo, maybe Moscow radio stations.....Ground away!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by XM15
What is the size of the stock wiring?
its actually slightly thicker then 4awg
Old 02-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by tru2nrtt777
something about better spark and lessunburned fuel... blah blah, less hydrocarbons...pay attention.
spark dwell timing via ecm tuning does a better job then bolting on a **** ton of wires.

or an easy fix. a hotter plug, since the 2.2's are void of tuning at this point in time. spending money in the wrong places always leads you back to square one
Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 PM

It is like I said on an earlier post, the ones that do not believe should just not buy one as it is not a big deal.

It is a cheap mod offered to those who want to mod their car and do not have a lot of money or for the ones who thought they did everything and this will get them a little more performance.

The people who have a ground kit installed know that it works, so why care so much about the science geek portion of it all? It just works, justifying it with explanations via science is apparently not working, not E=MC2 enough I guess, lol.(can't make it a squared symbol)

We have driven our cars way more than enough to notice if something made a difference or not.
I know if I put a small obstruction in someone's muffler or intake they would immediately notice.

Dynos have even backed this ground wire concept in that it works on many modern cars.

One is currently on my 2003 Sunfire, and it did make a positive difference.

If you hate this ground wire kit concept, just don't buy a kit. It is like any product, some are sold and some are not.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:51 PM

spark dwell timing via ecm tuning does a better job then bolting on a **** ton of wires.

or an easy fix. a hotter plug, since the 2.2's are void of tuning at this point in time. spending money in the wrong places always leads you back to square one
You asked him a question of why, not how it is or isnt better than something else you could do to cover the same task.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:00 PM

yeah who needs that physics/science stuff. like who the hell is isaac newton to tell me i cant float.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by Greased
yeah who needs that physics/science stuff. like who the hell is isaac newton to tell me i cant float.
what goes up, doesn't always come down!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:15 AM

what goes up, doesn't always come down!
balloons
Old 02-20-2008, 11:19 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
balloons do come back down
Old 02-20-2008, 11:20 AM

i've never seen it i dont belive it
Old 02-20-2008, 11:22 AM

even weiners hold up to Newtons law of gravity
Old 02-20-2008, 11:24 AM

unless you have pryapism
Old 02-20-2008, 11:28 AM

what a terrible problem that would be.

I love athletic shorts too much. i'd die if I had that problem

Back on topic

HOW_TO someone. Attach what where?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:06 PM

If your car has a flux capacitor, the ground wire kit is a necessity.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:15 PM

Can we please lock this cause no help is in sight. Can someone just scan their install sheets from the kits they bought

Quick Reply: Ground Wire Kits?