2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

handleing

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blktrax
TIRES!!

The #1 problem with the LS

I hear ya on that! A countless amount of times they lost traction going around barely sharp turns. But nothing beats the time my friends that an entrance to a shopping mall was an exit. They all screamed "HERE'S THE RAMP!!!" Bam me not thinking I merge onto the "Ramp" but it was a sharp ass ramp to a mall. I came within an inch of the curb. Would have easily fubar'd my axles and possibly flip the car at 40 mph. The point of my little story is buy the rubbers, be safe. It's what keeps your wheels planted.

~~Alex
Old 08-29-2007, 11:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
On to have a conflict but the (My '07 4 lug steels) factory steelies are 6in wide.

Street tires are 225/50-15's
Auto X Hoosiers 225/45/15's
BFG DOT drag radials 225/50/15's

All fit and work great.

But to each their own

I've got 1 camber bolt in the top lower strut bolt hole, each side, achived -2 deg camber on the front.
perhaps they are 6" i still wouldnt put a 225 width tire on them, i have 205/50/15 falken azenis sports on my steelies and the sectionwidth of the tire is at least 1.25" wider than the wheel. a 225 would be around 2" wider and that's just too much for my liking. my hooser 225/45/15's are on 15x8 wheels and the side walls are straight up and down yours must be pinched pretty badly. just watch the center of the tread cause its gonna wear fast.

as for the crush bolts i dont like them, seen them break and its not a pretty sight. im looking for someone to machine some pillow ball top mounts with camber plates.

Last edited by bluebaltjim; 08-29-2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: added sumin
Old 08-29-2007, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by bluebaltjim
perhaps they are 6" i still wouldnt put a 225 width tire on them, i have 205/50/15 falken azenis sports on my steelies and the sectionwidth of the tire is at least 1.25" wider than the wheel. a 225 would be around 2" wider and that's just too much for my liking. my hooser 225/45/15's are on 15x8 wheels and the side walls are straight up and down yours must be pinched pretty badly. just watch the center of the tread cause its gonna wear fast.

as for the crush bolts i dont like them, seen them break and its not a pretty sight. im looking for someone to machine some pillow ball top mounts with camber plates.
I understand what youre saying, and not trying to pick a fight.

Cost be given thats what im using, suprisingly the hoosiers even though theyre not straight up on heavy corners in auto-x they dont roll up on the sidewall like they did on the wider rim (sold - needed $$$) even running 45-50 psi.

Yes the streets are pinched a bit loosing about 5MM of tread on the back contact patch, but the front prints fully.

the drags have such a soft sidewall it hasn't been an issue.

The Crash/Crush bolts are AC/Delco parts, been though 8 events plus 10k miles and the alignment hasn't budged. Tire wear exception.

The Grand Am Cup cars were using pillowball mounts and weld in "Ground Control" Castor/Camber plates. I'm not holding my breath on application specific anytime soon, warranty will run out before I start welding on my car.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I understand what youre saying, and not trying to pick a fight.

Cost be given thats what im using, suprisingly the hoosiers even though theyre not straight up on heavy corners in auto-x they dont roll up on the sidewall like they did on the wider rim (sold - needed $$$) even running 45-50 psi.

Yes the streets are pinched a bit loosing about 5MM of tread on the back contact patch, but the front prints fully.

the drags have such a soft sidewall it hasn't been an issue.

The Crash/Crush bolts are AC/Delco parts, been though 8 events plus 10k miles and the alignment hasn't budged. Tire wear exception.

The Grand Am Cup cars were using pillowball mounts and weld in "Ground Control" Castor/Camber plates. I'm not holding my breath on application specific anytime soon, warranty will run out before I start welding on my car.
ive been working on designing a replacement top strut mount that is adjustable just like the pillow ball mounts on coilovers. got maybe 45% of the design done and i work a defense contractor right now and an chumming up to a couple of machinists that work strickly with billet, they're a couple of old guys that raced formula vee back in the late 70's early 80's ive gotta work out a couple of details and make a to scale drawing with dimensions, but then they should be able to mock something up and work out the kinks using my car as a test bed. id like to have a finished prototype by early next year.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:05 AM

I vote strut brace all the way!
I have used these on several cars over the years and see them as a requirement.
They really do make the steering a lot more sure-footed.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by bluebaltjim
ive been working on designing a replacement top strut mount that is adjustable just like the pillow ball mounts on coilovers. got maybe 45% of the design done and i work a defense contractor right now and an chumming up to a couple of machinists that work strickly with billet, they're a couple of old guys that raced formula vee back in the late 70's early 80's ive gotta work out a couple of details and make a to scale drawing with dimensions, but then they should be able to mock something up and work out the kinks using my car as a test bed. id like to have a finished prototype by early next year.
Sweet.... send test bach #2 to.....