2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Having an issue but can't pin point it :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having an issue but can't pin point it :(

It would be nice if I can get a general idea about what to look for .

Problem is; the other day while driving my exhaust TOTALLY lost its tone/loudness.... I have Clear Image Auto header/downpipe & 2.5" catback for almost a year now & tuned for about a year now.

There is nothing blocking the high flow cat/its still good...... and the cat didn't come apart to block the muffler... (according to the muffler shop I was just at).

They think its an issue of advanced timing and told me to call my tuner.

I called Vince (trifecta tuning) and he said we can do some data logging to track what the issue could be. He suggested may be a dirtied up MAF that needs cleaning which could advance the timing. So I cleaned the MAF & no luck (FYI I have the K&N typhoon and have had it for about a year now).

Anyone else know what it could be? I'm really getting frustrated with my car right now.... It sounds quieter than stock when it should be ROARING.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:53 PM

Did itjust get quiet or is it bogging? If its bogging then unbolt the cat back and drive it. If its still bad, inbolt the dp from the header. If it gets better then your cats bad.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:47 PM

Need more info on the problem...
Old 04-18-2009, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by b_faulk75
Need more info on the problem...
I wish I could tell you... I have clear image header/dp/catback & vinces tune plus running K&N typhoon SRI............

My car was nice and loud before.... for the past year.. then 3 days ago... SILENCe... almost as quiet as stock... theres no other way to explain it... you can hear the engine running but ... I don't know just an eery silence while I drive......
Old 04-18-2009, 12:37 AM

my money is on a blockage in your dp. Have you had anything off to check it yet?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by NS06G5
my money is on a blockage in your dp. Have you had anything off to check it yet?
ditto.... no problems there... had it at a shop this morning... shot a flashlight right up & thru, no blockage.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:42 AM

It's a gremlin then, ******* around with you. I really had quirks like this.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:28 AM

hmm...hey rob, throw any code? is there an exhaust leak? is it still driving fine? when you rev in place you dont hear anything either?

vince will be at my place to tune on tues if you want to come down!!

the muffler, is it good inside?

still getting good pressure out the back end of the exhaust?????
Old 04-18-2009, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by NWAE Cobalt
hmm...hey rob, throw any code? is there an exhaust leak? is it still driving fine? when you rev in place you dont hear anything either?

vince will be at my place to tune on tues if you want to come down!!

the muffler, is it good inside?

still getting good pressure out the back end of the exhaust?????
rawful @ our problems! lol..

i just posted in ur thread and you posted in mine at the same time!

no codes... I bet there will be though if I throw in the stock ECU (which I drove around on that and no codes).... theres not as much power in the top end/when I try to gun it, not nearly as much power as there was...

apparently the muffler specific shop I brought it to locally said the cat looks fine & the only thing that can block up my muffler would be a chewed up cat but because thats in place... well... they couldn't say.. what they told me is they think its the timing & to check the tuning... so i called vince, vince suggested could be MAF is dirty so car is advancing its timing..... well cleaned maf and still no dice... I wonder if I should drive the **** out of it tonight and see if that changes anything... I did also unplug the battery for 30 mins & swapped ECUs & cleaned maf... my cat back itself still has tone but it almost sounds like my header/dp is stock.... still have exhaust coming out the back and its got a bit of a sound to it that a muffler should but not nearly anywhere close to what it sounded like from a year ago until 3 days ago... 1000% quieter... it has this eery silence that disturbs me...
Old 04-18-2009, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by RobHole
rawful @ our problems! lol..

i just posted in ur thread and you posted in mine at the same time!

no codes... I bet there will be though if I throw in the stock ECU (which I drove around on that and no codes).... theres not as much power in the top end/when I try to gun it, not nearly as much power as there was...

apparently the muffler specific shop I brought it to locally said the cat looks fine & the only thing that can block up my muffler would be a chewed up cat but because thats in place... well... they couldn't say.. what they told me is they think its the timing & to check the tuning... so i called vince, vince suggested could be MAF is dirty so car is advancing its timing..... well cleaned maf and still no dice... I wonder if I should drive the **** out of it tonight and see if that changes anything... I did also unplug the battery for 30 mins & swapped ECUs & cleaned maf... my cat back itself still has tone but it almost sounds like my header/dp is stock.... still have exhaust coming out the back and its got a bit of a sound to it that a muffler should but not nearly anywhere close to what it sounded like from a year ago until 3 days ago... 1000% quieter... it has this eery silence that disturbs me...
maybe one of the gaskets broke up into the exhaust or dp??? maybe????
check your plugs, maybe your no firing as strong on all cyl?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:04 PM

Unbolt the downpipe move it aside and drive it. I bet the cat is blocked a little.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:38 AM

Ever fix this?
Old 05-02-2009, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by BLKLS
Ever fix this?
yes, downpipe was not so happy